Photo
- - - - -

Creative writing contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:45 AM

What better way to contribute to the anti-aging/immortality meme than to have a contest on short stories for the topic. We've got some great writers here, seems like though it might be difficult to provide the incentive I think it would be interesting to try. I'm not sure if it's already been done though.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for the idea.

Recorder's deadline is November 12.

Specifically, what topics do you think would be the most interesting for both our usual customers and newcomers?

Who would judge the stories and decide on the best?

What would be the prizes?

#3 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:58 AM

There's the potential of using a judging panel funnel nominated by the majority. These individuals will probably have previous writing experience or just a great enjoyment of sci fi literature. Of course it would all be voluntary. From there, a creative writing sub forum would be created that would be judged. From there, we create a top X subforum after a given amount of time. This subforum will use the pre-existing rating system in place and will be decided by the viewers. That's the general gist of function.

As far as incentive, a book perhaps of the collection available for sale on our storefront. The profits would generally help the cause and could have a partition for additional prizes if a book isn't enough.

Topics could be anything:
the technological singularity
cryogenics
advanced alien races with mind uploading capacities (e.g the borg) yet with possible different spins; "why so serious" borg. As in a borg like race who still preserve their "humanity"
nootropics perhaps (eg Dune)

The possibilities are endless.

#4 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:29 AM

This is a great idea!

For the topic, I was thinking (in order to get more newcomers involved) contestants could write about why they're interested in longevity, transhumanism, etc. How and why they came to be interested in it and what has this interest done to change their lives, example: were they inspired to do supplements, or CR, or sign up for cryonics, has their outlook on life changed - do they feel more happy and optimistic about the future or more depressed, etc. I was thinking that the overall purpose of the this essay contest would inspire people. Essay could be 500-1000 words, any format.

For prizes, stuff from our store such as books or t-shirts would be nice. Registered users could win a chance to become a full member (that's a $50 value :) ). We could have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.

#5 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:32 AM

Who would judge the stories and decide on the best?

Like mentatpsi said, I would also go with everyone. The essay with the most highest ratings and positive comments would win I. Otherwise I guess imminst leadership could judge the essays :)

#6 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:34 AM

I would be a contestant for this.

#7 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:36 AM

Maybe not, just a quick thought here, but maybe digg could be used to tally the most popular. It might also be a way to generate more awareness for the digg section of the imminst internetworking team.

#8 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:23 AM

Thanks Kos :~,

Actually as far as the idea, I'm a bit hesitant to have it be anything other than a fictional story. The reasoning behind this is that fiction immerses the reader in the reality set forth by the story, in order to enjoy the story the reader must mentally merge with it. The art aspect of it is the believability, or at least the connectivity of the nodes (theme, ideas, science) of the story. This is especially true with a scientific crowd. Ayn Rand had said something similiar. Either way, there is no better marketing than the effects of ideas on the mind, and no better way to market them than a story with real emotional and intellectual content.

The issue with rating personal essays is you're not only rating the work, you're rating your affiliation with the author and your liking of their personal narrative. That can sometimes get a bit personal.

The beauty of it is that it's not marketing for marketing sake, but marketing for the sake of something powerful, for the progression which we hope to make as a species. A progression which might be necessary for our survival. Plus if there's a book that comes out with a compilation of the winners stories than everyone wins in the end. Even if it's only hosted online, everyone gains something.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:06 AM

At the last recorders meeting we thought that the winning story could go on the front page.

Perhaps we could have a poll for determining the winner. Writers could submit their stories to leadership and then they could create the polls, without listing the author's name - to avoid "personal affiliation" tilting the vote.

#10 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Sounds good.

#11 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:29 PM

It was also suggested that if we could coerce the Art Team to give assistance, the winning essays could contain illustrations or the like. Thoughts?

#12 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

It was also suggested that if we could coerce the Art Team to give assistance, the winning essays could contain illustrations or the like. Thoughts?

That's an amazing idea, quite an amazing feeling to have your imagination manifest into reality in that form :p. A rewarding experience in its own right.

#13 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

Here is how the project stands.

We would like to develop guidelines and invite people to start writing anyday now.

Mentatpsi originally proposed "short stories" which implied fiction. Cyberbrain suggested non-fiction "life stories". I am leaning toward fiction, but I would like to hear some more thoughts.

Length? At one of the Recorder's meetings it was suggested that the word count be a minimum of 1,000. I write at least 1,000 words in a typical day of work. It doesn't seem like that much for a "story". I would suggest 1,500 or 2,000 minimum.

Prize? $88 + published on the front page + free Art Team illustration.

Judging? Anonymous polling in the forums. Writers submit their works to leadership, who then set-up a poll. Most votes wins.

#14 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

I would go with fiction, non fiction, stories, essay, and article style writing. I think everything sounds good, the prizes, and 1,500 to 2,000 sounds like a good work count.

#15 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Sorry for my delayed response, I had read the current design and thought it was excellently done. I've nothing too much to add as the current design matches and surpasses what i had initially planned. Just wondering however, could there also be second and third prize winnings, which will essentially be just the publishing? In this manner, it can attract more people as it won't be of the extreme competitiveness of only winning best. I'm not sure the costs nor how the end product will look with the addition of two stories, so just a thought.

I'm still leaning towards fiction because nothing brings ideas to reality in such an immersive fashion. For if the story does its job (which the ratings shall show), then it has already brought the reality of the ideas to the forefront of consciousness and designed the receptiveness which the forum seeks after.

Thanks again for going with this idea.

Edited by mentatpsi, 20 December 2009 - 07:27 PM.

#16 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

I vote for fiction also. Or, at least, if I participate, it will be a fictional story.

#17 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

So here is where we are at.

Imminst Writing Contest.

1. Fiction and non-fiction. Seems most potential participants are going to do fiction. Do we want to rule out non-fiction? Do we want to have 2 winners, one for fiction and one for non-fiction.

2. 1st place prize. $88 + publication on front page feature section + illustration (if desired and if available) from the Art Team. Do we want a second place prize? Maybe just publication to the front page (no cash or free artwork).

3. Word count: Minimum 1,500. Any other suggestions?

4. Judging by forum poll. Writers submit entries to designated member of Imminst leadership. Polls are created for each entry without naming the author.

5. Time frame. Not discussed yet. I would suggest 2 or 3 months from the time of the launch/announcement to the entry deadline, then 2 or 3 weeks for the polling. I am not a fiction writer so I don't know how long it takes to create a good story. Does the time frame need to be longer or shorter? If there is no other input then I am leaning toward the 3 months/3 weeks option.

Anything I am missing?

#18 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

1. Fiction and non-fiction. Seems most potential participants are going to do fiction. Do we want to rule out non-fiction? Do we want to have 2 winners, one for fiction and one for non-fiction.

I thought this was expressly fiction.

2. 1st place prize. $88 + publication on front page feature section + illustration (if desired and if available) from the Art Team. Do we want a second place prize? Maybe just publication to the front page (no cash or free artwork).

I think a book token could be considered for the runner-up.

3. Word count: Minimum 1,500. Any other suggestions?

Minimum doesn't matter. Maximum 3,000 words.

4. Judging by forum poll.

Members poll.

5. Time frame. Not discussed yet. I would suggest 2 or 3 months from the time of the launch/announcement to the entry deadline

I think 2 months are enough.

#19 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

Can the winner donate the prize money to a charity, like SENS?
This sounds like a fun contest to try for, I hope that the best stories are published in a book form.

Edited by Jimmy, 16 January 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#20 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

The winner can donate the money wherever he/she pleases.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:06 AM

Does anybody know about how many potential participants this has so far?

Jimmy
Mentatpsi
JLL
Valkyrie Ice
Reason
Anissimov
Gavrilov
Michael Rae
Mind
Shannon

Those are all people from here, and off the top of my head that I would contact about this. Does anybody have any other suggestion? Please list more members and registered users around here that write, have blogs, etc...

#22 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

At least 3 members have indicated they will participate. That is good enough to get it rolling. Watch for an announcement in the forums/PM/home page.

#23 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

I agree with Caliban:

Member poll to decide winners, in order to avoid manipulation.

2 months for submissions, 2 weeks of reading/voting.

No minimum word count.

For maximum, I know a good fictional short story can be written in 3,000 words, but that still seems quite small to me. I suggest a maximum of 5,000.

#24 Eugene

• 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

I'm in too!

#25 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

Since this seems to have gotten going, I'm moving it to Projects. Thanks, Mind.

#26 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Created Forum Topic here and Front page article. Also, emailed members about this as an add on to the reminder to vote in the director elections.

Caliban mentioned "book token". I assumed this meant a token prize=copy of SCOD, but perhaps you meant a gift card to amazon or something. I could yet change this 2nd prize wording.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users