getting started, structuring the voting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

so does anyone want to add anything to this before we start to structure out the voting/discussions? specifically do we all agree that the final decisions will be made by a voted in panel of 'experts'

create new supplement subforum, open to public

WEEK 1

1) thread - discussion/nominations for expert panel make final decision
.....a) subforum for vitamins
..........i) thread for discussion on vitamin forms and amounts
.....b) subform for minerals
..........i) thread for discussion on mineral forms and amounts

WEEK 2

names of say the top 5-10 experts are extrapolated from the nomination thread, and then a poll is left for one week with a YES/NO vote on each nomination

WEEK 3

new supplement subforum is made private, open to imminst board & selected experts

1) subforum for vitamins
.....a) subforum for each individual vitamin
..........i) poll for form
.......... ii) poll for amount
2) subforum for minerals
.....a) subforum for each individual mineral
..........i) poll for form
..........ii) poll for amount

WEEK 4

data from polls is gathered and discussion and votes on manufacturing/etc begins

Edited by ajnast4r, 26 October 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

I like the format you presented. A final panel is probably the only way to finalize this in a reasonable amount of time. I'd love to see Michael get involved in some aspect of this at some point too.

I wonder how polls will be set up though. Just have people randomly start them, or have someone here organize things and just go in some sort of order: As, Bs, etc.? One possible concern is that polls and discussions will become disorganized, random and repetitive if people just randomly create them.

*nominates ajnast4r as Pollmaster*

#3 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

I like the format you presented. A final panel is probably the only way to finalize this in a reasonable amount of time. I'd love to see Michael get involved in some aspect of this at some point too.

I wonder how polls will be set up though. Just have people randomly start them, or have someone here organize things and just go in some sort of order: As, Bs, etc.? One possible concern is that polls and discussions will become disorganized, random and repetitive if people just randomly create them.

*nominates ajnast4r as Pollmaster*

i agree about the panel... one person is going to have to run the structuring/polling, thats the only way we will be able to have real organization...i would like to do it but ill wait until everyone sees the thread and contributed before i put myself into that position

#4 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

For clarification on what is proposed... I expect this forum here will be used for discussions and polls, open to everyone, right? Whoever is in charge of polls/leading discussions will post their threads, where everyone votes/discusses.

After the polls are done and everyone decides (or disagrees) on a final product, then the expert panel takes over and tidies things/finishes it up?

If this is the format we are going with, maybe your contribution thread should be retitled to: expert panel nominations, or something similar, as I think everyone should be able to contribute if they wish, regardless of qualifications. Doesn't mean anyone has to listen to them... but still, everyone should feel free to voice their opinion.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

I agree with nameless and will make the change to the title.

And yes, the discussions/polls will be open to everyone and as envisioned so far - a panel of experts will "tidy up" any loose ends.

#6 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

The nutrient polls are going well so far. If there is one or two that members are divided on then we will most likely send that one to the panel. I think we will be able to close these polls on Sunday or early next week and then begin the more interesting polls of proportions and forms, perhaps a week for each, with the goal of having the formulation complete by the end of November.

#7 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:30 AM

So fast?

#8 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:44 PM

So fast?

Well, as you know, supplement discussions can drag on for a long time. What nutrients should be in the capsules seems to be the least contentious aspect of the design. If we close these votes then we can spend more time on forms and amounts, with an aim to wrap it up at the end of November. We have 2 or 3 items which are divided (no clear majority), we can keep these open and/or send them to the expert panel to be decided. The rest will be closed.

Also, if anyone thinks ajnast4r missed an important supplement, be sure to speak up.

#9 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

We have about 6 undecided nutrients from the original polls. We can leave them open so people can debate more or move them to the expert panel area and let them decide. In the interest of time (keeping this process down to a month), I would prefer moving these undecided nutrients to the expert panel.

#10 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

As I've stated I think that's pretty quick (I am amazed that I'm the only person of that opinion, though). Way too quick to put out a quality multi IMHO. It's also unfortunate, because there's still a lot I'd like to discuss (less of an issue) and MR may find some time to help with the formula, but that won't do if we put out a half-backed product before then (sure we could do a 0.9 beta release like the software guys do).

I hope there will be more time to discuss changes to coming iterations.

Edited by kismet, 18 November 2009 - 09:07 PM.

#11 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

I understand your concern Kismet, but as I stated earlier, supplement discussions are known to drag on forever, or at least indefinitely (because there is always another study to come out...just around the corner). Time frames can help focus people who would otherwise procrastinate. Even the expert panel could take months and months if there was no schedule. The original intent was to get this formulated by the end of November. The discussions/polls have been going on for at least 18 days now. This is a lot of time to gather input. The discussions have gone pretty smoothly thus far because we didn't set out to re-invent the wheel, just to make something more desirable to life extensionists who have fairly good diets. The most interesting discussion has to do with how to package the product (gelcaps, dry pills, packs, separating water and fat soluble, etc...)

I wanted to move things on to the expert panel on Friday in order to give them 10 days to finalize the formulation. I figured since they are very knowledgeable they would not need as much time to make some small decisions on forms and amounts.

If you have a different time frame please let us know along with the rationale. The end of 2009? The end of 2010?

#12 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

I just wanted to say thanks to all the members who have contributed to the discussion thus far. Your contributions and thoughts are very useful. I see we still have a small handful that are voting in the polls and asking some questions, however, the plan is to turn this over to the expert panel tomorrow (Friday November 20th). Kismet thinks we should allow more time for discussion. I will leave that up to the expert panel. If the panel thinks we should leave the polls and discussions open, or extend the time for the panel to finalize the formulation (past November 30th) it will be by their internal vote.

#13 shazam

• 197 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

I just wanted to say thanks to all the members who have contributed to the discussion thus far. Your contributions and thoughts are very useful. I see we still have a small handful that are voting in the polls and asking some questions, however, the plan is to turn this over to the expert panel tomorrow (Friday November 20th). Kismet thinks we should allow more time for discussion. I will leave that up to the expert panel. If the panel thinks we should leave the polls and discussions open, or extend the time for the panel to finalize the formulation (past November 30th) it will be by their internal vote.

I have no idea what the formulation even IS yet... I just see clouds of feedback from users. What if the expert panel comes up with the formulation from their info, then shoots it past the others, or maybe even the main supplement forum via sticky to gather tons of feedback? I could see this being a solid approach to make sure there are no missed areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users