- - - - -

Brain fog

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gaz2uk

• 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hey,

I have been suffering with very bad brain fog since as long as I can remember (doctors can't help) my memory and cognition can be terrible.

I have tried ginkgo biloba, doesn't seem to do much.

I have been noticing many different nootropics talked about here, is there any that could be helpful for me?

I have found a supplier in the UK, but they are expensive, I wanted to make sure I go for the right one.

Thank you in advance

#2 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

Ginkgo is crap, i get nothing off that. Vinpocetine works along similar lines improving blood flow to the brain but it works well... and cheap too.

Before that I would go with a choline source to build acetylcholine. I use DMAE for that, also cheap and I don't really get on with other choline sources.

See how you go from there.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gaz2uk

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

I should mention I am also using nimodipine (nimotop) just now which should improve blood brain flow so I really not sure if I can take that with vinpocetine (not even sure about ginkgo .... )

The nimotop did help for a while, but the effects seem to have diminished after only a few weeks.

#4 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

In the mean time while trying to boost your cognitive abilities I would continue to investigate underlying health problems. For example my chronic lingering health problems were caused by mercury and yeast issues. They're being addressed now and I'm getting better while still benefiting from nootropics. I'm not saying you have mercury issues, but I'd look into other health issues.

Anyways,

For me, I've had little to no benefit from using ginko or vinpocetine. I've had huge benefits using Phosphatidylserine. I also get benefits from a high quality fish oil, I'm going to experiment with krill oil soon.

Acetyl l carnitine has a nice little boost in energy

I'd skip the cheap choline sources and use CDP-choline, or Alpha GPC. I use CDP as it has more studies backing it up.

Piracetam is hit or miss for a lot of people. It works for me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

So I assume doctors have checked for hormone, electrolyte issues, infection, etc right? If all those things are ruled out, then here's what I would think about in order of importance.

First is your sleeping habits. Are you getting enough, is the quality good, is it consistent? If you sleep with someone regularly, ask them about your nighttime movements or sounds. If there's a lot of either, you could be sleeping worse than you think, and it might even be worth getting checked for sleep apnea.

Also think about hydration. Dehydration is a very, very common cause of brain fog, and most people are at least slightly dehydrated. I would definitely try upping your daily water intake significantly and see if that helps.

The next thing to think about is diet. Are you eating well? Lots of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, few sugars, lots of whole grains etc? And are you spreading those meals out evenly throughout the day? After that I would take some fish oil, vitamin D, maybe a mild daily choline source like lecithin, and a multivitamin if your diet isn't really good.

Finally, exercise. Inactivity can cause brain fog and depression. If you don't have time to go to the gym even doing things like parking farther away from places and walking, or always taking the stairs instead of elevators can help. Maybe playing basketball once a week or something. There was a time when the only major exercise I did was one set of 30 pushups and situps in the morning, and another in the afternoon. Took about 5-6 minutes out of my day, but even that can make a big difference.

If you do all those things and you still have significant brain fog, then it might be time to try some other more focused supplements. But seriously you'd be surprised how much difference the few things above can make. And honestly, a lot of people with brain fog problems come to these boards for help and I haven't heard many of them come back and report a cure from any of the supplements that have been recommend. Try the lifestyle modification first. It's more work, but it's cheaper, more effective, and very good for your long-term health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users