• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

is there a counteraction in taking tianeptine and piracetem?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dronez

• 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:59 AM

from tianeptine.com: Tianeptine prevents overstimulation of AMPA

from http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/17929164:

piracetam, a positive modulator of AMPA-sensitive glutamate receptors

doesn't this mean they work in contradiction?

help! I can't understand the scientific speak!?

#2 dronez

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

and then from http://www.freepaten...om/6599896.html :

The Applicant has now discovered, surprisingly, that tianeptine is a modulator of glutamate receptors of the AMPA/kainate type and may therefore be used in the treatment of neurodegenerative pathologies.

L-glutamic acid and L-aspartic acid are capable of activating the neurons of the central nervous system, and numerous studies have demonstrated that these excitatory amino acids (EAAs) meet the defining criteria of a neurotransmitter; for this reason, modulation of the neuronal events associated with those EAAs appears to be a promising target for the treatment of neurological diseases.

what gives? why does one source say tianeptine modulates ampa and the other source says it prevents its overstimulation? Am I ruining my brain from over thinking this or am I ruining my brain by taking medicines that work in opposite manner?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

You are asking some questions that most here just simply are not
knowledgeable enough to answer.

There are a couple of posters here that might be able to break down this conundrum and I would be interested in hearing from them.

I've also been curious about the differences in NMDA/AMPA potentiation, modulation, agonism, antagonism, modification, amplification, etc.

#4 dronez

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

any idea of where a good place to find this out would be
?

#5 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

IMHO, tianeptine pretty much epitomizes the definition of an "atypical" antidepressant when it comes to its mechanism of action.

often you'll find, unfortunately, that the atypical antidepressants never have a fully understood mechanism of action --> bupropion and tianeptine certainly make good examples of this kinda situation.

reading the patent's literature, it seems to suggest that tianeptine somehow prevents the hype-ractivation by glutamate without having any sort of direct antagonistic effect on the NMDA receptors. wow. okay, after reading that, i am officially intrigued. i'll probably dig into that later.

anyway...

here's a general, simplified joe-shmoe rundown of your AMPA and NMDA receptors and how tianeptine and piracetam appear to affect them:

so, first we have our AMPA receptors. once the AMPA receptor opens up, ions flow into it and start charging it. there are several different ion types that'll flow in, but the main one of concern is calcium. the AMPA receptor "fires" (aka polarizes) when the ions flowing through it charge it up to a certain threshold. once it fires, it closes up again. when your AMPAs fire, they sprout other little AMPA buddies nearby.

next, we have our NMDA receptors. we need both of these bad boys to induce long-term-potentiation, which essentially means the neuron has been "strengthened" so that it fires off just as strong with a lower amount of neurotransmitter stimulation. the NMDA receptor naturally has a magnesium "front door" or sorts blocking ions from flowing in, which is where AMPAs step in. the charge from maybe one AMPA receptor probably won't be enough to open up NMDA receptor, but after enough AMPA receptors form around the NMDA from their firing, eventually, their collective charge will be enough to knock out the magnesium blocking the way. once the magnesium is out of the way, then ions can flow through the NMDA receptor.

glutamate is the main handyman with all of this, and it does a pretty good job of prying open [aka exciting] those AMPA receptors and will get you to the front door on the NMDA receptor. now obviously, the AMPA receptors can't just stay open for ions to rush through all the time and will close once they fire, but that certainly doesn't affect whether or not glutamate will just open it up again when it can. THIS is where we get neurotoxicity. once your glutamate starts running around and partying in your brain, it'll start opening up your AMPAs more than you can handle, and more and more calcium will flow through. once you've had too much calcium flow through: poof. your neuron is zapped. gone.

so when you read something being called a "modulator," it's basically describing it's action on the receptor. what the patent that you posted basically says is that taking tianeptine is kind of like putting a really scary, shaved head, muscle-bound bouncer/doorman in front of your AMPA receptors. this way, if your glutamate gets out of hand and wants to start crashing parties in your AMPA receptors, your buddy tianeptine will be there, ready and waiting for it at the door armed with a resounding "shove off" and a nice, beefy pair of crossed arms.

piracetam on the other hand, i guess, is described as a "positive modulator." what this basically means is that, instead of tianeptine putting it's mr-universe-with-a-bad-attitude doorman at the front of your AMPA receptor party, taking piracetam is like putting a nice, friendly doorman out front who happens to be best buddies with glutamate and will let him in once the boss isn't looking.

so i guess, in theory, there could be an interaction. again, IN THEORY, it could be a bit like having both of your doormen out front when glutamate comes around --> in that, they might not exactly come to an agreement once glutamate starts knocking.
  • like x 1

#6 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

After reading that, I see an audience. One person of the
audience stands and up and starts to clapping slowly. Then another stands up and joins him.... and then the whole auditorium erupts.

Brilliant. From now on, I will have a visual understanding of the receptors.

Edited by Johann, 19 November 2009 - 01:05 PM.

#7 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:48 PM

Great explanation Pike, I like the doorman analogy. :)

#8 sunshinefrost

• 455 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

So if there are no doorman to protect the entry door.... calcium will go in and attack the receptors ? and Piracetam lets all of this happen ?

#9 dronez

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

Pike that was a most awesome explanation - one that even I - after years of never paying attention in science class can understand.

what other doormen block ampa from constantly sending ions through NMDA receptors? like if I was taking nothing/ no noots/no SSRE - who would usually guard the door?

can neurotoxicity occur on a daily basis from just everyday processes (I mean - I know that MDMA and stuff can cause neurotoxicity and other drugs and substances can too, but does it ever occur just as a normal process of daily life? does that make sense?) Like, I know we ingest chemicals such as MSG and so on daily and we breathe bad air, etc. does any of this ever cause neurotoxicity or does one have to ingest some illicit substance?

Edited by dronez, 19 November 2009 - 10:29 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:58 AM

FunkOdyssey - Thanks! I started to do a lot of research after reading your suggestions/accounts on Memantine!

sunshinefrost - well, normally, when you're not taking any nootropics or whatnot, your AMPA and NMDA receptors aren't throwing parties and glutamate is at home watching monday night football. most of the time, the amount of calcium (and to some extent, zinc) that flows in to charge and polarize your ampa/nmda receptors isn't enough to really cause a lot neurotoxicity. of course, every second of the day you are experiencing SOME form of neurotoxicity, but it's not to the point where you'd notice. over a lifetime, that's how, among many other contributing factors, you might get age-associated cognitive decline.

dronez - yes, it does! in fact, MSG is probably one of the worst things you could put in your body. just google up "MSG and neurotoxicity" and it won't take you long to see what i mean. i think a study or two among the ones i was looking at even used msg to induce brain lesions! the concept of daily-occurring glutamate-mediated excitotoxicity was the entire concept behind that speculative article on memantine being the next academic cognition enhancer!.

in terms of whose there to "guard" your NMDA/AMPA receptors when you're not taking any nootropics, that's really not something you should be too worried about. under normal conditions, your glutamate would only really start partying during times when you're doing mentally strenuous things (in which calcium probably wouldn't be a big risk) or exercise where the extra glutamate is probably necessary to achieve cognition enhancement. but in case you wanted to know, AMPA has no guard, and NMDA has a magnesium guard (which is why they always tell you to take magnesium with your dopaminergics!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users