• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What dosage of resveratrol do DOCTORS recommend?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

I saw the following presentation on Resveratrol by Steven G. Pratt, M.D. FACS. Here's what he had to say about resveratrol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So there's no consensus on the optimal dose of this stuff to take? I didn't want to order any until I heard someone with some authority on the matter to comment?\

Any experts in the forum?

Edited by ADAM23, 06 November 2009 - 10:38 PM.

#2 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

Dr. Sinclair says that "the doses based on the mouse studies are 250 -500 mg per day" (From his site)

Dr. Maroon suggests between 250mg -500mg, but athletes should consider more. (From his book "The longevity Factor")

Please remember one is a Researcher, and the other a Neurosurgeon for the Steelers...

A

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

Based on my own experience, using the best available, I would say that between 250 mgs to 1 gram daily has produced the best effects for me, in terms of: energy, feelings of well-being, and exercise stamina. I take other supplements that may augment Resveratrol, so this is strictly my opinion and not based on any other data other than what is available in print here and elsewhere. One also has to consider cost.

#4 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:05 AM

Dr. Sinclair says that "the doses based on the mouse studies are 250 -500 mg per day" (From his site)

A

Anhony, can you provide a link to that?

Dr. Sinclair, a resveratrol expert, was taking 300-400mg of resv a day from 2003 to 2007. He is now likely taking his own creation, SRT501 which isn't on the market.

He has also expressed caution.

Dr Sinclair: "I am surprised at the interest, if you consider that the long-term effects in humans are not known," says David Sinclair, the Harvard Medical School pathology professor who has pioneered research on resveratrol and the family of genetic pathways on which the plant compound acts. "The short-term effects are fine. But we don't know what happens if you take this for two decades. There are thousands of people performing a massive experiment." Jul 13, 2009 LA Times

Edited by opendoor, 07 November 2009 - 12:08 AM.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

Dr. Maroon suggests between 250mg -500mg, but athletes should consider more. (From his book "The longevity Factor")

Dr. Niner says 250mg - 500mg, but if you are treating a specific disease, substantially more may be called for.

#6 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:33 AM

Adam23,

Someone started the "500 club" that was pinned until recently, and you probably saw it below.

The person who started it then clarified: "I wanted to make a fun and splashy topic title so I chose the 500 club. It sounded better than the 5mg/kg/d club
I would expect that most that participate are not actually taking 500mg of t-res (I'm not)."

Dr. Sinclair estimated 5mg per kg for people, namely himself and several workers in his lab. Since he was taking 320mg for quite a while, he must have weighed around 64kg/140lbs. So a 180lb person would take 400mg but someone weighing 110lb would take 250mg.

#7 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:04 AM

It may be moot, but I think 500mgs would be a tolerable and effective dose for a middle-aged adult of any weight. I wonder what doses of synthetic the researchers are currently using, probably at least that much or more. Of course they wouldnt let that be public, lest they be accused of promoting Resveratrol use.

#8 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:26 AM

It may be moot, but I think 500mgs would be a tolerable and effective dose for a middle-aged adult of any weight.

500mg for any weight? I don't think you know more about dosage than Dr. Sinclair.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

Whenever you type the name "Dr. Sinclair", it should be prefaced by the phrase "the great and all-knowing"

#10 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:09 AM

Whenever you type the name "Dr. Sinclair", it should be prefaced by the phrase "the great and all-knowing"

Sinclair knows more about resveratrol than anyone posting here or any MD.

Can someone find a link to what Anthony posted with respect to Sinclair saying the mice were at an equivalent of between 250mg and 500mg.
I couldn't find it.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:30 AM

How do you know that?

#12 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

How do you know that?

Any suggestions about who posts here who knows more than Sinclair? you, maxwatt, prophets, hedgehog?

I'm thinking no.

#13 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

How do you know that?

Any suggestions about who posts here who knows more than Sinclair? you, maxwatt, prophets, hedgehog?

I'm thinking no.

If you only knew.

#14 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

How do you know that?

I'm thinking no.

If you only knew.

Opendoor,

I think I might know more than Dr Sinclair.
Maybe opendoor can break down all the Resveratrol users?
Something like this:
'I stopped taking Res because my MD did not have a recommended dose.'
Resveratrol is a supplement just like vitamins and not a drug.
So, maybe no one cares what is the MD recommended dose.

IMHO, I believe, this silly question does not belong on this board.

Bix

#15 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Your Ph.D. in biochem is in what specific area?

#16 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

If you only knew.

Thanks for the specific answer to my question.

Are we talking about resveratrol or doing Zen medititation here?

Edited by opendoor, 07 November 2009 - 06:14 PM.

#17 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

Opendoor,

if you already receive specific "tweets"... and still ask where Sinclair stated this... then you are just a plain "twit"
or maybe an intellectual person that somehow suddenly loses MAJOR IQ points when confronted with the obvious.

Go find your answer Holmes, and stop gravitating and aggravating.
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 07 November 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#18 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

How do you know that?

I'm thinking no.

If you only knew.

Opendoor,

Maybe opendoor can break down all the Resveratrol users?
Something like this:
'I stopped taking Res because my MD did not have a recommended dose.'
Resveratrol is a supplement just like vitamins and not a drug.
So, maybe no one cares what is the MD recommended dose.

IMHO, I believe, this silly question does not belong on this board.

Bix

People who are not in the know about Resveratrol, and other subjects, come here because there are educated, intelligent posters that have experience in these areas. To answer the OP's question, and this is just my opinion, there are very few traditional physicians that would give this type of advice. Even though the leading researchers are more than likely dosing Resveratrol, their professional positions may preclude them from directly offering this information. Maxwatt has summed this up elsewhere in a single sentence. We are left to use "uncommon sense" and to "think for ourselves" in a critical manner based on our own research. This forum provides more valid information about Resveratrol than any other I have seen.

#19 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

Maxwatt has summed this up elsewhere in a single sentence. We are left to use "uncommon sense" and to "think for ourselves" in a critical manner based on our own research.

The leading resveratrol researcher in the world says he thinks 5mg/kg is a reasonable estimate and takes that himself for years, tells his 70 year old parents to take that amount, but you say we are left to use "uncommon sense"?

Those like Adam23 should at least realize the amount Dr. Sinclair himself took before deciding to go two, three, four or five times higher as some who post here do.

Edited by opendoor, 07 November 2009 - 11:50 PM.

#20 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

Maxwatt has summed this up elsewhere in a single sentence. We are left to use "uncommon sense" and to "think for ourselves" in a critical manner based on our own research.

The leading resveratrol researcher in the world says he thinks 5mg/kg is a reasonable estimate and takes that himself for years, tells his 70 year old parents to take that amount, but you say we are left to use "uncommon sense"?

Those like Adam23 should at least realize the amount Dr. Sinclair himself took before deciding to go two, three, four or five times higher as some who post here do.

Now opendoor is the expert on the amount of Resveratrol to dose.
Fill us all in OD, How much resveratrol do you take per day?
(I am guessing, none?)

OD, I take 2,000 to 3,000 milligrams per day and have been for almost 2 years.
According to your Sinclair logic at my weight 166 lb and would dose with approx 375 milligrams day.

Edited by bixbyte, 08 November 2009 - 12:16 AM.

#21 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for posting that Bix! I take between 500 mgs to a gram daily and have done so for approx. 8 months. I weigh 185 lbs.

#22 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:47 AM

(I am guessing, none?)

According to your Sinclair logic at my weight 166 lb and would dose with approx 375 milligrams day.

No, Dr. Sinclair is the expert.

What is a "Sinclair logic"?

"if you already receive specific "tweets"... and still ask where Sinclair stated this... then you are just a plain "twit" "

I didn't receive the tweet. that was up on the resv site 2tender posts on.
So you you say that 250mg-500mg is on Sinclair's website, but I looked and couldn't find it.
Why not just put up the link so we can see?? If Anthony won't link it, can someone else find it?
Thanks

Edited by opendoor, 08 November 2009 - 03:48 AM.

#23 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:39 AM

(I am guessing, none?)

No, Dr. Sinclair is the expert.

What is a "Sinclair logic"?

"if you already receive specific "tweets"... and still ask where Sinclair stated this... then you are just a plain "twit" "

I didn't receive the tweet. that was up on the resv site 2tender posts on.
So you you say that 250mg-500mg is on Sinclair's website, but I looked and couldn't find it.
Why not just put up the link so we can see?? If Anthony won't link it, can someone else find it?
Thanks

OD, I have never received any communications or tweets from Sinclair.
My resveratrol dosage is the result of my own long term use.
As I increased my res dose my weight decreased (197 to 157 lbs) very slowly over many years.
Perhaps due to the res ability to mimic genetic calorie restriction.
Similarly as Sinclair identified res in his research as a CR mimetic.
I just purposely adjusted up a couple pounds after a low of 157 lbs.
When I was a teenager my lowest weight I can remember was 155 lbs.
FWIW, I look at all my peers after (+-) 5 years taking res and they appear older and heavier.
I find it most interesting that I wrote a poll 2 years ago and only .8% of the population actually responded.
Supplementing with resveratrol is unpopular.

GL, bix

#24 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Yes Bix,I think those are interesting , true observations regarding peer appearence and Resveratrol use. I have randomly mentioned Resveratrol to people and no one seems to know what it is. I have read posts here about people that stopped taking it. Regarding dose and weight loss, I agree, it seems the higher the dose the more pounds are shed. I dont know if that would be the case for an obese endomorph that started taking Resveratrol or if subsequent weight loss in that person could be attributed to Resveratrol alone. I, however can correlate mine directly to Resveratrol use. It was the only change in my regimen. The weight loss was gradual almost not noticeable. One day I realized that my pants were too large by 2 inches. I cut my Resveratrol dose because I simply cant afford to buy more smaller sized clothes. Im sure if I went up to 2 grms dly in a few months I would weigh the same as you. Some people respond to Resveratrol and others may not.

#25 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

If you look at the attached presentation (see .pdf attachment to this post), you will see Dr. Pratt recommends certain dosages of certain supplements for health benefits. For example 800-2000 iu Vitamin D, 350mg from Vitamin C, 400 mcg for Folic Acid, etc... see the presentation to see.

He specifically says Resveratrol doesn't have an optimum dose, since we don't have the evidence for such a claim. Simply based on the evidence, it seems 1.2/mg/Liter (one or two bottles of red wine) is the best extrapolation from the "French Paradox."

That is, specifically, if I could find a 1.2 mg pill of resveratrol, I would buy it. Who sells 1.2 mg of resveratrol? I see some people are taking 1000mg pills when there's no doctors who actually recommend this dose!

I mean, life extension science is based on hype already, but if you're taking 1000mg but can't even find ONE DOCTOR to recommend 1000mg, you're in trouble. Where's the evidence?

Attached Files

Edited by ADAM23, 08 November 2009 - 11:57 PM.

#26 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:03 AM

AFAIK: none
Adam, at this dose, you should find wine rx interesting, as recently discussed (use the power of ctrl+f).

Edited by kismet, 09 November 2009 - 12:05 AM.

#27 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

AFAIK: none

Yeah, 1.2 or maybe more speculative folks could justify 2.4 mg a day...that's like drinking two liters of wine a day!

When I hear folks saying "Dr, Sinclair said this" or "Dr. Sinclair said that" I roll my eyes. "Dr. Sinclair is a biased subject, he sells the stuff, or does research on it. Therefore his speculation in worthless."

What doctors recommend it's use? What human evidence is there? Rats and mice don't count.

Edited by ADAM23, 09 November 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#28 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for posting that. If you would like to low dose Resveratrol simply buy the pure powder and the best powder scale you can find, Viola! You can get your 1 mgs dose that way. I think that Life Extension foundation has the scales on their site at LEF.com or any laboratory supply place. Its as simple as that! I hope that helps you!

#29 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:19 AM

Yes Bix,I think those are interesting , true observations regarding peer appearence and Resveratrol use. I have randomly mentioned Resveratrol to people and no one seems to know what it is. I have read posts here about people that stopped taking it. Regarding dose and weight loss, I agree, it seems the higher the dose the more pounds are shed. I dont know if that would be the case for an obese endomorph that started taking Resveratrol or if subsequent weight loss in that person could be attributed to Resveratrol alone. I, however can correlate mine directly to Resveratrol use. It was the only change in my regimen. The weight loss was gradual almost not noticeable. One day I realized that my pants were too large by 2 inches. I cut my Resveratrol dose because I simply cant afford to buy more smaller sized clothes. Im sure if I went up to 2 grms dly in a few months I would weigh the same as you. Some people respond to Resveratrol and others may not.

That's a good thought!

And I was thinking about it and rationally, I think resveratrol may have clinical uses.

Weight loss?
Life Extension?

These are good goals and I think resveratrol may have clinical uses at higher doses, but not without potentially greater side effects. Everything has potential side effects!

I can see one day, through the help of more research, resveratrol (or one of it's derivatives) may have clinical implications above 1.2 or 2.4 mg/day.

I guess I'll wait until the science catches up...

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:11 AM

Well, to each his own, I understand your prudence and appreciate your critical thinking. The science and data is out there though, more positive studies than negative. In my opinion, the risk/rewards ratio is favorable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users