Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

eMail action

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest

• 320 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

I started a kind of eMail-action to promote SENS and would like to suggest that other people might join in. The original proposal can be found here

http://www.methusela...read.php?t=1496

so I'll quote it:

"I find it very ineffecient trying to persuade individual persons of SENS. I don't even have to bring the talk to the 1000 year lifespan; just saying that something can be done scientifically against aging often seems to result in the other person refusing any discussion about the topic (with the well known arguments you probably also encountered). So I decided to focus on people familiar with biomedical sciences, especially on younger one as they

1. are more open to SENS and new technologies

2. are the future scientists to do actual research or even to decide about funding

So what I did was the following:

using the websites of the university I collected all eMail-adresses of PhD students and postdocs in medical, biomedical, biochemical etc. sciences. Than I wrote a very brief eMail with a suggestion to consider SENS, giving links to the wikipedia articles and sens.org. I put all eMail-adresses in the BCC and submitted it using a fake-account.

I did this for 5 universities before I stopped the action. The reaction was more or less positive, eg, some even responding to be interested in the topic. At least it seems that it was not generally seen as spam or resulting in a more negative view of the topic (I found out afterwards, that one university invited Aubrey to a workshop). However I will continue this action not before the new website is launched, as the current state is too miserable.

It takes about 1,5 hours to collect the addresses (on average 150-170 per university). In my rough estimate about 50% will delete the eMail without reading the links, 25% will read the articles in part but are not interested, 12,5% will read it more indeept but are undecided about the topic and the remaining 12,5% are in general interested. Finally about 1%-2% might decide to take a closer look to SENS and will consider it or similiar approaches in some way when deciding about their future career or will invite Aubrey or will suggest/discuss it to other students etc.

imo this is the most reasonable thing I can do at the moment to spread the word. So what do you think about this approach? Is it effecient/my estimates realistic? Or to direct? Could it be improved? Anyone willing to join with research centers in their country?"

This a cheap, fast action everyone can do. I don't have the time to cover all major universities of the world, so other people might do it for their countries - they just should coordinate their actions, so they don't write multiple emails to the same university.

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

You got a lot of positive reactions from this? I email lists of professors and the like from time to time for different things and rarely get more than 1 or 2 responses if any.

However, a shorter message, sent from a university address might help. Although, I used to do this from my university account too and from what I remember the results were about the same.

This reminds me of the our VIP Outreach team though. Do you want to join that? We need you, could really really use you there. Your energy and insight in to this project would help a lot too.

In the VIP Outreach we aim to mainly target mid range, maybe past famous celebrities. Although we have been going off the mark, contacting people like Larry King and William Shatner, and professors, but thats alright, and its working. Also, I had been doing a school board outreach, but people tell me they dont think its the best idea, so Ive suspended that. However, Im now looking to modify it so that I am getting through to high school and college, science and sociology teachers. Do you think you could help me to find good A through Z listings of teachers like these? The more comprehensive the better, the school board listing I have is every one in the united states.

Also, in this approach, what we're doing is offering them things like an interview and books. So its just like what your doing except we are offering them free stuff. I think this will increase our odds. Then also in like 3 out of ten invites we send out a free copy of LifeQuest right away, because I have 100 copies here to disseminate.

What do you think? Are you in? Theres no commitment and the time schedule is super flexible. You also get entered in our volunteer prize drawing for this, but most of all, your volunteering inspires more, and that is what is taking us to the next level.

#3 Guest

• Topic Starter
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

You got a lot of positive reactions from this? I email lists of professors and the like from time to time for different things and rarely get more than 1 or 2 responses if any.

However, a shorter message, sent from a university address might help. Although, I used to do this from my university account too and from what I remember the results were about the same.

This reminds me of the our VIP Outreach team though. Do you want to join that? We need you, could really really use you there. Your energy and insight in to this project would help a lot too.

In the VIP Outreach we aim to mainly target mid range, maybe past famous celebrities. Although we have been going off the mark, contacting people like Larry King and William Shatner, and professors, but thats alright, and its working. Also, I had been doing a school board outreach, but people tell me they dont think its the best idea, so Ive suspended that. However, Im now looking to modify it so that I am getting through to high school and college, science and sociology teachers. Do you think you could help me to find good A through Z listings of teachers like these? The more comprehensive the better, the school board listing I have is every one in the united states.

Also, in this approach, what we're doing is offering them things like an interview and books. So its just like what your doing except we are offering them free stuff. I think this will increase our odds. Then also in like 3 out of ten invites we send out a free copy of LifeQuest right away, because I have 100 copies here to disseminate.

What do you think? Are you in? Theres no commitment and the time schedule is super flexible. You also get entered in our volunteer prize drawing for this, but most of all, your volunteering inspires more, and that is what is taking us to the next level.

Yes, I saw your VIP-list. However, I would rather tend to contact billionairs than just celebrities, as they have the money to push SENS. Also I am not sure whether it wouldn't be better to contact VIP's on behalf of SENSF instead of trying to persuade them to join Imminst - the latter IMO being much harder to achieve. But why do you intend to to contact sociology teachers? And is Imminst so short of volunteers? I mean the forum has 1000s of members?!? Nonetheless, for the time being I'll stay at contacting PhD-students untill I covered all major research centers in Germany. Thereafter I'll have a look at Imminst activities to see whether its best to support one of your projects.

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

Well, you could be right of course, billionaires might be a better target. Theres a lot of room to adjust as we do trials here. One point of trying to get somebody like say, Larry King, or, Jerod Leto, or Jimmy Carter or somebody like that is to be able to use that as small, building legitimizers of sorts to help get through to people like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates and the like. Not to mention most of those other guys have money too. Its really not so much the money we are after so much as the informing power, the added bits of legitimacy that help our message get picked up and stick.

We may be aiming for sociology teachers because we have a donation of 100 copies of the book "LifeQuest" its a compilation of short science fiction stories about cryonics written in a way so as to try to persuade people to support it. Sociology teachers seems like one good place to try disseminating it too. We also send them out to VIPs and professors and people who we have heard make mention of cryonics in the press or on the internet some place. We are still considering other outlets though if you or anybody has any more workable ideas on where to disseminate these.

We arent short on volunteers, no, we're short on people who go around and encourage and incentive and get the ball rolling and get more volunteers set up with tasks. The board and I and a few others are slowly building our volunteer pool as we go.

Well, good luck in your PhD outreach. Feel free to coordinate and or discuss it with us as much as you may want. We can exchange tips and success stories and things like that. As for sens maybe being better to spread the word about than imminst, well, imminst is a hub, we cover all the aspects, sens, strategies to be developed like sens, the evolutionary approach, general stem cell, cryonics, nanotech, etc.. Sens of course is one superb avenue in all this, but we feel, I feel at least that supporting and building the whole hub is at least equally important. Also, our team does spread the word about sens. Ending Aging is the main book on our list of books we send.

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

I'm moving this to VIP Outreach so those guys can see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users