• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Can someone explain the "Twilight" nuisance to me?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

My week end desk help, a 20 year old woman named Liz, read all four of the novels (even though she says she doesn't normally read books!), and then she had to tell me all about them. More than I cared to know, in other words.

She also had plans to see the "New Moon" film last night, so I'll probably have to listen to her talk about the movie for the next two days as well.

I don't understand the appeal of a 100 year old teen-looking vampire who still goes to high school.
Posted Image

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

It's way too accurate.

It's a literary abortion. The movie was even worse. Even if you're crazy about the book, it was just a poorly made movie.

Anyway, it's amazing the number of Twilight backgrounds that you see on college girls' laptops. I've heard of several ruined relationships because the male wasn't as good as Edward. It further erodes my faith in humanity.

Edited by Shepard, 21 November 2009 - 03:25 PM.

#3 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

In a way, the Twilight fad shows that we still don't know how to use our relative abundance constructively. These girls and young women have the discretionary income to buy the novels, the paraphernalia, the DVD's and the movie tickets so that they can indulge in a fantasy borrowed from a Mormon housewife, and not a very good fantasy at that. I have trouble imagining women doing that in, say, Afghanistan (though in the Afghan towns with electricity they might catch a Bollywood film once in a while).

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

My week end desk help, a 20 year old woman named Liz, read all four of the novels (even though she says she doesn't normally read books!), and then she had to tell me all about them. More than I cared to know, in other words.

She also had plans to see the "New Moon" film last night, so I'll probably have to listen to her talk about the movie for the next two days as well.

I don't understand the appeal of a 100 year old teen-looking vampire who still goes to high school.

I read the first couple of books. The books aren't bad, understanding that the target demographic is teenage girls. I will probably see the movies someday.

Edited by RighteousReason, 21 November 2009 - 04:04 PM.

#5 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

I loved twilight!.. but then again I loved harry potter movies while everyone hated it.. :X so I am probably a bad example.
It's just good. you can relate to it (Twilight)

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

Vampires are about sex and danger and beautiful people. What's so hard to see about the attraction of that?

#7 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Vampires are about sex and danger and beautiful people. What's so hard to see about the attraction of that?

And don't forget, vampires are about immortality! Its an easy way to start conversations on the topic. This twilight movie might feature one of the only widely-appealing, moralistic, immortal protagonists on film anywhere.

#8 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

It's way too accurate.

It's a literary abortion. The movie was even worse. Even if you're crazy about the book, it was just a poorly made movie.

Anyway, it's amazing the number of Twilight backgrounds that you see on college girls' laptops. I've heard of several ruined relationships because the male wasn't as good as Edward. It further erodes my faith in humanity.

I think it is decent entertainment if you know what to expect -- it isn't a brilliant sequel to some Anne Rice novel, it doesn't involve some deep plot, or provide a new perspective to the vampire archetype. The Twilight movies are just teen romance movies based around a vampire plot. When I saw Twilight, I enjoyed it as passive entertainment and even had to laugh in a few places. It is what it is.

Now if you want a really interesting vampire film, I suggest a Swedish film called "Låt den rätte komma in" or translation "Let the Right One In" I think.

It is about a centuries old vampire child that seduces a young Swedish boy. It is pretty twisted. Makes me want to move back to my home country with our real winters :)

Anyways, I've been told I could pass for a vampire because I am so white / light complexion. :-D I just tell them I have some of the same goals...to stop my skin from aging by hiding from the sun hah.

#9 Esoparagon

• 227 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

The books were invented to make teenage and tween girls wet in the pants. That's it. They are not to be taken seriously. They are badly written and boring. The characters are unrealistic and poorly developed. You find yourself wanting Bella to die for being so stupid and being the most pathetic and boring example of a female.

#10 Singularity

• 138 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

It's just a returning fad. In the late 80's a lot of girls were into the Anne Rice vampire novels.

#11 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

The vampire meme is good for immortality.

#12 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

In a way, the Twilight fad shows that we still don't know how to use our relative abundance constructively. These girls and young women have the discretionary income to buy the novels, the paraphernalia, the DVD's and the movie tickets so that they can indulge in a fantasy borrowed from a Mormon housewife, and not a very good fantasy at that. I have trouble imagining women doing that in, say, Afghanistan (though in the Afghan towns with electricity they might catch a Bollywood film once in a while).

Or maybe it just shows how tired women are of most men that they are seeking some abstract ideal embodied in the character of edward.

#13 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

It's way too accurate.

I think it is decent entertainment if you know what to expect -- it isn't a brilliant sequel to some Anne Rice novel, it doesn't involve some deep plot, or provide a new perspective to the vampire archetype. The Twilight movies are just teen romance movies based around a vampire plot. When I saw Twilight, I enjoyed it as passive entertainment and even had to laugh in a few places. It is what it is.

Now if you want a really interesting vampire film, I suggest a Swedish film called "Låt den rätte komma in" or translation "Let the Right One In" I think.

It is about a centuries old vampire child that seduces a young Swedish boy. It is pretty twisted. Makes me want to move back to my home country with our real winters :)

Anyways, I've been told I could pass for a vampire because I am so white / light complexion. :-D I just tell them I have some of the same goals...to stop my skin from aging by hiding from the sun hah.

One week I watched nothing but vampire films, both new and old. The best ones were Nosferatu from the 70s, bram stokers dracula and the hunger starring david bowie which actually I found the most interesting as it deals with a disease of accelerated aging that sets in if the vampires do not feed. A definitely different perspective on vampires. I have not yet been able to sit through twilight yet. I tried in one sitting but found the acting horrendous.

#14 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

One week I watched nothing but vampire films, both new and old. The best ones were Nosferatu from the 70s, bram stokers dracula and the hunger starring david bowie which actually I found the most interesting as it deals with a disease of accelerated aging that sets in if the vampires do not feed. A definitely different perspective on vampires. I have not yet been able to sit through twilight yet. I tried in one sitting but found the acting horrendous.

I really liked Hunger as well, it is a good film! Havn't seen the 70s version of Nosferatu, but I thought William Dafoe did an excellent job when he reprized the role in Shadow of a Vampire.

One of my guilt pleasures is Queen of the Damned. Like Twilight, it is aimed at the high school age audience and is loosely based around an Anne Rice novel. I like that Jonathan Davis did the vocals for Lestat's rock band.

#15 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

My eldest daughter read the series (she's now 13) I read one, then skimmed the rest. She thinks the movies are lame, she loves the idea of vampires though-and we have a deal, if she is turned she'll come turn her mom first. Even though she likes vampires, I'd not let her watch True Blood. I need to screen Let the Right One In first. The Twilight series has unrequited & dangerous love--loving against all odds, loving whom you know you shouldn't--and for a teen that is sexy (along with the power and mystique of being supernatural ;-) )

#16 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

Regarding Twilight I just saw an interview in a swedish magazine with a woman who lived like a vampire, slept in a coffin,dressed in black,hated sun,she also had a fetish for drinking blood( she used a knife and had some willing lovers sharing their blood with her). I wonder what kind of sub-cultures Twilight creates.....

#17 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

I really liked Hunger as well, it is a good film! Havn't seen the 70s version of Nosferatu, but I thought William Dafoe did an excellent job when he reprized the role in Shadow of a Vampire.

One of my guilt pleasures is Queen of the Damned. Like Twilight, it is aimed at the high school age audience and is loosely based around an Anne Rice novel. I like that Jonathan Davis did the vocals for Lestat's rock band.

You should see werner herzogs version of nosferatu. A brilliant work of art. I am very unforgiving of films that have little to no artistic merit. Twilight to me just seems very mass produced and without a soul, or perhaps with the semblance of a fake soul but I am too educated in art and philosophy not to see through it.

#18 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

Regarding Twilight I just saw an interview in a swedish magazine with a woman who lived like a vampire, slept in a coffin,dressed in black,hated sun,she also had a fetish for drinking blood( she used a knife and had some willing lovers sharing their blood with her). I wonder what kind of sub-cultures Twilight creates.....

These vampire subcultures already existed far before Twilight.

The Vampire Don

Edited by forever freedom, 03 December 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#19 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

Yeah I was going to say the same thing Forever Freedom, but I watched a documentary on the energy and blood vampires back in the late nineties-since groups started forming on the net, they've had their own for networking/organizing.

#20 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

The Vampire Don

That's disgusting, I HATE needles! I wonder if he bleaches his skin? Or if he wears makeup?

#21 snow leopard

• 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:35 AM

think about it vampires mean immorality, and what does every pre-teen girl want a guy that will be with her forever. I'm an 18 year old female I never really brought into it. the books and movies are ok but I think their over rated. I can name at least five better vampire and romance movies off the top of my head.

#22 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:22 AM

The Vampire Don

You know what I think? I think this guy is a fraud. He's just tripping with his pointy incisors and his long fingernails and pale (made up?) skin. He's got this schtick going on and he's so convincing that he's sucked in the girlfriend/blood donor, and all the sensationalist TV programs. So he drinks a little blood. Big deal. People have been drinking animal blood forever. I bet he doesn't do appearances on shows for free.

#23 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

It's literary orgasm and verbal masturbation for these tweeny bopper girls tag-teaming themselves and making Meyer even richer.

I blame the school teachers. My sister got obsessed with this phenomenon through their language arts teacher around 2 years ago.

Great job of feeding into the sexually frustrated and hormonally driven girls of middle school. Nice business model actually. Anne Rice is probably pissed off.

#24 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

The vampire meme is good for immortality.

I wonder why our culture has rebranded vampires, but not Victor Frankenstein. He wanted to discover a scientific means to conquer death, so his myth seems more relevant to our interests than the woo basis of vampires' negligible senescence.

Even Saul Kent acknowledges that:

#25 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

The Vampire Don

You know what I think? I think this guy is a fraud. He's just tripping with his pointy incisors and his long fingernails and pale (made up?) skin. He's got this schtick going on and he's so convincing that he's sucked in the girlfriend/blood donor, and all the sensationalist TV programs. So he drinks a little blood. Big deal. People have been drinking animal blood forever. I bet he doesn't do appearances on shows for free.

What do you mean by "fraud". Obviously, he's not a real vampire, in the way they appear on movies. Not even he claims that. He could have been born with a set of characteristics that are akin to those that stereotypical vampires have (like being thin, pale, and maybe not being disgusted by the idea of drinking blood), and he realized this and played into the role, adding a few more characteristics to become closer to a real vamp, like sleeping in a coffin, only being active at night and using fake incisors (he admitted it in a TV show, without thinking twice).

He is a showman, he doesn't do much mystery about it, but there's enough suggestive content in his image to make it very alluring and magical to mindless preteen girls like the Twilight fans. Apart from the extremes of the vampire subculture (where we'll find nutbags of all sorts), people playing the role like Don are aware of and don't try to hide the fact that they're not real, stereotypical vampires, but just people with maybe a few inborn or adopted (often, inborn and adopted) characteristics that make them be/look closer to these hollywood vampires than most other people.

#26 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

The books were composed beautifully actually. People shouldn't criticize it on such superficial premises. They were all very good.

*waits for verbal abuse* =/

#27 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm a HUGE vampire geek. It all started from Anne Rice's Interview With the Vampire. I have all the books, you name it. I have it. Twilight, yes got the books and DVD. Also I have all the books and DVDs (in bluray) of TRUE BLOOD. I also have the books in French & Spanish. In addition I have posters, wallpaper, ringtones, etc. My favorite Vampire story right now is the VAMPIRE DIARIES. I have the books yes and of course I have all the current shows from iTunes. Interview with the Vampire is my favorite although VAMPIRE DIARIES has the possibility of becoming my number 1 vampire story ever.

The appeal of Vampirism to me is more like psychodynamics. Vampirism is just humanity's way of expressing our innermost desire. Immortality. The life after death. The defeat of aging itself. We feel so powerless over death and vampire folkore is our escape. It appeals to us because we desire eternal life. Not as an alien being in another world or a heavenly angel above but something more earthly and human. Somebody that can return and reunite with family or loved ones. Someone who can indulge in earthly pleasures, someone who can have friends and enemies. Someone who can give life, take life, do good, take revenge, be happy, get angry, and express other human emotions at a greater intensity. Someone who's attractive, powerful, intelligent, rich, cultured, and carries a number of amazing skills & talents. Through vampirism we express our desire for greater happiness. The sucking of blood is a symbol of our deep yearning for greater pleasure. Whether as an infant getting necessary nutrition from the mother, thumbsucking, a child displaying curiosity of things he could get his hands on, a prehistoric man sucking on a bone marrow meal, adam and eve's yearning for the fruit from the tree of life (hence immortality), the simple joy of sucking on a lollipop, the figurative sucking up to the boss for greater pay, engaging in sexual intimacy with another person. Everything about humanity's greatest desires are intensified in the Vampire world.

And this is why the folkore will live on. Twilight, True Blood, Vampire Diaries are just modern interpretations that relates to the culture of this new generation. But the message and appeal remains the same. Our deep seated desire for Immortality & Pleasure.

Edited by Forever21, 07 March 2010 - 02:56 PM.

#28 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

People tend to associate cryonics with the Frankenstein myth (FM), especially given the controversy surrounding neurosuspensions. And that works to cryonics' disadvantage, because our culture currently disapproves of Victor Frankenstein's goals and methods.

Yet our culture has rebranded vampires as positive mythological figures, even though the vampire myth (VM) and FM both show the transgression of the boundary between life and death. I don't understand why vampires have gotten the public relations makeover, but not Victor Frankenstein and the scientists compared to him.

So, I wonder: If we could reframe cryonics to associate it more closely with VM than with FM, would that change how our culture thinks about cryonics and its goals?

#29 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

I don't understand why vampires have gotten the public relations makeover, but not Victor Frankenstein and the scientists compared to him.

I think, fundamentally, it has to do with frankenstein more resembling the work of science than the work of religion. Vampires are almost like archangels (or fallen heroes) in a sense. So they are more likened to religious figures than frankenstein, who is, in the mind of the masses, the creation of a kooky scientist.

#30 LY999

• 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

I don't understand why vampires have gotten the public relations makeover, but not Victor Frankenstein and the scientists compared to him.

I think, fundamentally, it has to do with frankenstein more resembling the work of science than the work of religion. Vampires are almost like archangels (or fallen heroes) in a sense. So they are more likened to religious figures than frankenstein, who is, in the mind of the masses, the creation of a kooky scientist.

Well, there is one organization that claims to help people turn into "vampires".

It's called the Temple of the Vampire.

Why don't you ask David Styles about it?

He's a high ranking member there!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users