Photo

Rationale

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Imminst will try to license its logo on the final product but we are not trying to develop IP or closely manage the manufacturing, marketing, and selling of the product. We just don't have the manpower. As such, I was thinking it would be a nice service to the public to state the rationale for each ingredient. We would have a pinned topic in the Community Supplement Design forum that lists each ingredient and the science/research that supports the amount and form of each ingredient. For more controversial supps like folate (if it is included) we could post links to positive and negative studies.

This would be ideal but I know it is a lot of work. Any thoughts?

#2 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Imminst will try to license its logo on the final product but we are not trying to develop IP or closely manage the manufacturing, marketing, and selling of the product. We just don't have the manpower. As such, I was thinking it would be a nice service to the public to state the rationale for each ingredient. We would have a pinned topic in the Community Supplement Design forum that lists each ingredient and the science/research that supports the amount and form of each ingredient. For more controversial supps like folate (if it is included) we could post links to positive and negative studies.

This would be ideal but I know it is a lot of work. Any thoughts?

A lot of it can be found

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/
Linus Pauling Institute (interestingly they don't advocate the real mega doses of vit C)

Ben Best's site has always had a lot of excellent info (Does't he post here?)
some of it is here:
http://www.benbest.c...t/MiscSupp.html

not sure how up to date it is.

Much is still controversial and e.g. many "reliable" sources still list 400-800IU of vitamin D/day as recommended.

They can also look up specific vitamins here:

http://healthlibrary...pitaljax.com/#V

Edited by scottl, 24 November 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

I think that the rationale for each individual nutrient is a very good thing to have in one place. I would also like to see the overarching rationale; that we couldn't find a multi on the market that we could really recommend to people. We should talk about what we think is wrong with all the other multis, i.e. overdoses, bad nutrient forms, bad formulation of fat-soluble vitamins, and "window dressing" amounts of the latest nutrient that aren't enough to do anything but are good for marketing. After that I would link in the more detailed information about each component.

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

i will gladly do a writeup about why we did this project and our rationale for each ingredient... i wont be able to do it until after tuesday, i have a big research paper due which is why i haven't been on here much.

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

We could license to anyone willing to produce; if someone is not willing to pay for an exclusive license, perhaps multiple manufacturers can license the Imminst formula?

#6 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

i will gladly do a writeup about why we did this project and our rationale for each ingredient... i wont be able to do it until after tuesday, i have a big research paper due which is why i haven't been on here much.

Thanks for volunteering to write up the over-arching rationale Marc!

Main themes (as niner laid out roughly earlier)

-create a supplement that avoids pitfalls of other vitamins (bad forms, waaaay too high dosage, contain potentially harmful ingredients)
-create the best multi-vitamin for people who already have a "decent diet".
-based on the latest research (and will be periodically and openly reviewed in the future)
-open source project so everyone can judge the rationale for themselves (and perhaps contribute in the future)
-etc...

If you can come up with a rough draft, then the rest of us will help flesh it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users