Photo
- - - - -

Rhodiola Rosea Log

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 calengineering

• 134 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:25 AM

Started to use rhodiola rosea 3 days ago and noticed improvements in mood, motivation, and a feeling of mental clarity/stamina. I take 1 planetary herbals 327mg tablets around dinnertime.

Background: i'm a student in engineering and have been feeling unmotivated at school for a few years. difficult work and some failures in other parts of my life keep me distracted from studying. i normally start on hw or study in the afternoon or after dinner and immediately hope to do other things. i eat healthy and sleep enough. take fish oil, multivitamin, and green tea in the mornings.

Log objective: record mood and inclination to work and what i'm working on for the next 10 days.

#2 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about Rhodiola but never tried it. Please keep posting on how it affects your mood, assertivenes, energy levels etc. over the next few days.

Started to use rhodiola rosea 3 days ago and noticed improvements in mood, motivation, and a feeling of mental clarity/stamina. I take 1 planetary herbals 327mg tablets around dinnertime.

Background: i'm a student in engineering and have been feeling unmotivated at school for a few years. difficult work and some failures in other parts of my life keep me distracted from studying. i normally start on hw or study in the afternoon or after dinner and immediately hope to do other things. i eat healthy and sleep enough. take fish oil, multivitamin, and green tea in the mornings.

Log objective: record mood and inclination to work and what i'm working on for the next 10 days.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 calengineering

• Topic Starter
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

Day 1 (of 10 day log. actually started on RR 4 days ago):

work: studying accounting for final
motivation: got working on it immediately. didn't feel any fears/burden/etc.... spoke as if i were in a third person view and took things less personally. felt more confident.
note: my concentration was not much better. i felt myself daydreaming several times. i've had poor concentration with school for more than 2 years though.
side effects? none

Edited by calengineering, 02 December 2009 - 03:38 PM.

#4 calengineering

• Topic Starter
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

work: completing some tedious homework assignment.
motivation: working on it smoothly, not being distracted.
note: my concentration is better today. i think it's because this assignment is easier to understand, however. it also requires more hands-on and active participation as opposed to the reading i was doing yesterday, which allows for daydreaming. i noticed i'm more calm despite a bunch of shit going on in my life right now. i have a final tomorrow that i should be okay for but still am more calm that normal. i think this is a good calm though. i'm planning on studying for it, just not freaking out.
side effects? none.

#5 calengineering

• Topic Starter
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

sorry, won't be able to take RR for the next few days as I am going on a road trip this weekend. no point in taking it with the changes in environment.

HOWEVER! I have good news for you all! I have finals in two weeks so I will be studying a good amount and taking RR when I'm back at school!

#6 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

Well, so far it doesn't look very promising. It might just be a very mild adaptogen, not worth the $$ in my opinion. Good luck with your finals!

sorry, won't be able to take RR for the next few days as I am going on a road trip this weekend. no point in taking it with the changes in environment.

HOWEVER! I have good news for you all! I have finals in two weeks so I will be studying a good amount and taking RR when I'm back at school!

Edited by 425runner, 04 December 2009 - 02:52 PM.

#7 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well, so far it doesn't look very promising. It might just be a very mild adaptogen, not worth the $$ in my opinion. Good luck with your finals!

Query the pubmed database. I think the results will surprise you. (Human clinical trials) Among others:

Dietary supplement with a combination of Rhodiola crenulata and Ginkgo biloba enhances the endurance performance in healthy volunteers.

OBJECTIVE: To determine whether the ingestion of a herbal supplement called Rhodiola-Gingko Capsule (RGC) would enhance the endurance performance of healthy volunteers and change relevant hormones in a favorable manner. METHODS: Seventy healthy male volunteers (age ranges from 18 to 22 years old) were randomly assigned to RGC group (35 cases, each capsule containing 270 mg herbal extracts, 4 capsules per day) or placebo group (35 cases, equivalent placebo preparation) for 7 weeks using computer produced digital random method. The endurance performance, serum testosterone and cortisol levels were measured at the baseline and the endpoint. RESULTS: Sixty-seven subjects (34 in the RGC group and 33 in the placebo group) completed a 7-week treatment. The RGC group displayed a significantly greater baseline-to endpoint increase in maximal oxygen uptake (VO(2max)) than placebo group in both absolute (P=0.020) and relative values (P=0.023). At the endpoint, the serum cortisol level was unchanged in the RGC group compared with the baseline, but it was significantly elevated in the placebo group (P<0.05). The endpoint ratio of testosterone to cortisol, a surrogate for overtraining and fatigue in endurance exercises, was also indifferent compared with the baseline in the RGC group, but significantly decreased in the placebo group (P<0.05). CONCLUSION: The combined herbal supplement of Rhodiola and Gingko could improve the endurance performance by increasing oxygen consumption and protecting against fatigue.

A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of the standardised extract shr-5 of the roots of Rhodiola rosea in the treatment of subjects with stress-related fatigue.

The aim of the study was to assess the efficacy of the standardised extract SHR-5 of roots of Rhodiola Rosea L. in the treatment of individuals suffering from stress-related fatigue. The phase III clinical trial took the form of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study with parallel groups. Participants, males and females aged between 20 and 55 years, were selected according to the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare diagnostic criteria for fatigue syndrome. A total of 60 individuals were randomised into two groups, one ( N = 30) of which received four tablets daily of SHR-5 extract (576 mg extract/day), while a second ( N = 30) received four placebo tablets daily. The effects of the extract with respect to quality of life (SF-36 questionnaire), symptoms of fatigue (Pines' burnout scale), depression (Montgomery -Asberg depression rating scale - MADRS), attention (Conners' computerised continuous performance test II - CCPT II), and saliva cortisol response to awakening were assessed on day 1 and after 28 days of medication. Data were analysed by between-within analyses of variance. No serious side effects that could be attributed to the extract were reported. Significant post-treatment improvements were observed for both groups (placebo effect) in Pines' burnout scale, mental health (SF-36), and MADRS and in several CCPT II indices of attention, namely, omissions, commissions, and Hit RT SE. When the two groups were compared, however, significant effects of the SHR-5 extract in comparison with the placebo were observed in Pines' burnout scale and the CCPT II indices omissions, Hit RT SE, and variability. Pre- VERSUS post-treatment cortisol responses to awakening stress were significantly different in the treatment group compared with the control group. It is concluded that repeated administration of R. ROSEA extract SHR-5 exerts an anti-fatigue effect that increases mental performance, particularly the ability to concentrate, and decreases cortisol response to awakening stress in burnout patients with fatigue syndrome.

Clinical trial of Rhodiola rosea L. extract SHR-5 in the treatment of mild to moderate depression.

The objective of this study was to assess the efficacy and safety of standardized extract SHR-5 of rhizomes of Rhodiola rosea L. in patients suffering from a current episode of mild/moderate depression. The phase III clinical trial was carried out as a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study with parallel groups over 6 weeks. Participants, males and females aged 18-70 years, were selected according to DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for depression, the severity of which was determined by scores gained in Beck Depression Inventory and Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAMD) questionnaires. Patients with initial HAMD scores between 21 and 31 were randomized into three groups, one of which (group A: 31 patients) received two tablets daily of SHR-5 (340 mg/day), a second (group B: 29 patients) received two tablets twice per day of SHR-5 (680 mg/day), and a third (group C: 29 patients) received two placebo tablets daily. The efficacy of SHR-5 extract with respect to depressive complaints was assessed on days 0 and 42 of the study period from total and specific subgroup HAMD scores. For individuals in groups A and B, overall depression, together with insomnia, emotional instability and somatization, but not self-esteem, improved significantly following medication, whilst the placebo group did not show such improvements. No serious side-effects were reported in any of the groups A-C. It is concluded that the standardized extract SHR-5 shows anti-depressive potency in patients with mild to moderate depression when administered in dosages of either 340 or 680 mg/day over a 6-week period.

A pilot study of Rhodiola rosea (Rhodax) for generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).

BACKGROUND: Rhodiola rosea is an herbal supplement that many in the general population in Russia and elsewhere in the world have used for decades to alleviate everyday anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Whether R. rosea is effective in reducing similar symptoms in clinical samples is unknown. The goal of this pilot study was to evaluate whether R. rosea is effective in reducing symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). METHOD: Ten (10) participants with a DSM-IV diagnosis of GAD, recruited from the UCLA Anxiety Disorders Program and between the ages of 34 and 55, were enrolled in this study from November 2005 to May 2006. Participants received a total daily dose of 340 mg of R. rosea extract for 10 weeks. Assessments included the Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HARS), the Four-Dimensional Anxiety and Depression Scale, and the Clinical Global Impressions of Severity/Improvement Scale. RESULTS: Individuals treated with R. rosea showed significant decreases in mean HARS scores at endpoint (t=3.27, p=0.01). Adverse events were generally mild or moderate in severity, the most common being dizziness and dry mouth. CONCLUSIONS: Significant improvement in GAD symptoms was found with R. rosea, with a reduction in HARS scores similar to that found in clinical trials. These preliminary findings warrant further exploration of treatment with R. rosea in clinical samples.

Acute Rhodiola rosea intake can improve endurance exercise performance.

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of acute and 4-week Rhodiola rosea intake on physical capacity, muscle strength, speed of limb movement, reaction time, and attention. METHODS: PHASE I: A double blind placebo-controlled randomized study (n= 24) was performed, consisting of 2 sessions (2 days per session). Day 1: One hour after acute Rhodiola rosea intake (R, 200-mg Rhodiola rosea extract containing 3% rosavin + 1% salidroside plus 500 mg starch) or placebo (P, 700 mg starch) speed of limb movement (plate tapping test), aural and visual reaction time, and the ability to sustain attention (Fepsy Vigilance test) were assessed. Day 2: Following the same intake procedure as on day 1, maximal isometric knee-extension torque and endurance exercise capacity were tested. Following a 5-day washout period, the experimental procedure was repeated, with the treatment regimens being switched between groups (session 2). PHASE II: A double blind placebo-controlled study (n = 12) was performed. Subjects underwent sessions 3 and 4, identical to Phase I, separated by a 4-week R/P intake, during which subjects ingested 200 mg R/P per day. RESULTS: PHASE I: Compared with P, acute R intake in Phase I increased (p <.05) time to exhaustion from 16.8 +/- 0.7 min to 17.2+/- 0.8 min. Accordingly, VO2peak (p <.05) and VCO2peak (p<.05) increased during R compared to P from 50.9 +/- 1.8 ml x min(-1) x kg(- )1 to 52.9 +/- 2.7 ml x min(-10) x kg(-1) (VO2peak) and from 60.0 +/- 2.3 ml x min(-1) x kg(-1) to 63.5+/- 2.7 ml x min(-1) x kg(-1) (VCO2peak). Pulmonary ventilation (p =.07) tended to increase more during R than during P (P: 115.9+/- 7.7 L/min; R: 124.8 +/- 7.7 L/min). All other parameters remained unchanged. PHASE II: Four-week R intake did not alter any of the variables measured. CONCLUSION: Acute Rhodiola rosea intake can improve endurance exercise capacity in young healthy volunteers. This response was not altered by prior daily 4-week Rhodiola intake.

Edited by drmz, 04 December 2009 - 07:34 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

Planta Med. 2009 Sep;75(11):1187-90. Epub 2009 May 25.
Perspective on Roseroot (Rhodiola rosea) Studies.

Blomkvist J, Taube A, Larhammar D.

Department of Neuroscience, Unit of Pharmacology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.

Rhodiola rosea (roseroot) extract is a commercially successful product, primarily used to reduce the effect of fatigue on physical and mental performance. In this perspective we present our investigation of the most recent studies performed on human subjects. With a focus on the statistical methods we found considerable shortcomings in all but one of the studies that claim significant improvement from roseroot extract. Overall, the study designs have not been well explained. Experimental results have been confused and appear to be in some cases incorrect. Some of the conclusions are based on selected results and contradicting data have not been adequately taken into account. We point to other studies of higher quality performed on roseroot, several that found no significant effect and one that did. We conclude that the currently available evidence for the claimed effects is insufficient and that the effect of Rhodiola rosea is in need of further investigation before therapeutic claims can be made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users