Photo
- - - - -

Blurred vision

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 la Rochefoucauld

• 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

Lately i´ve been experimenting with some nootropics to increse energy and concentration ability. I have used Wellbutrin, Piracetam and most recently Selegiline at a low dose(2mg/day).
While taking Selegiline i experienced difficulties with reading, especially at short distances. After a short time of reading my vision blurred and i had to put effort into correcting this making short distance reading very frustrating.
Now one week after withdrawing Selegiline i still have this blurred vision problem along with some lethargy.
To combat the latter i tried som adrafinil today, which made me more energized and motivated. However, the vision thing seem to have gotten worse. When looking down on my keyboard, it takes no more than three seconds for vision to deteriorate.

Since Selegiline increases dopamine levels, and adrafinil also has some effect on this transmitter, i suspect the cause is too high level of dopamine.

What do you think about this; Is dopamine excess the cause? Is there some way to correct this, or will i have to wait another week or two until Selegiline is completely flushed out ?

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

God damn it! Visit a doctor ASAP (or at least first of all). I'd not hesitate one second if I had such severe issues.

Edited by kismet, 02 December 2009 - 11:03 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:10 AM

To get blurred vision with that kind of severity, you'd need a lot of dopamine and 2mg of deprenyl just isn't that big a dose. If you were taking selegiline with wellbutrin and adrafinil simultaneously, then maybe it would make sense. And if you stopped the deprenyl and the blurry vision got worse, then your problem could be any number of things, some of which are pretty bad. So I second the recommendation to see a doctor ASAP.

#4 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

To get blurred vision with that kind of severity, you'd need a lot of dopamine and 2mg of deprenyl just isn't that big a dose. If you were taking selegiline with wellbutrin and adrafinil simultaneously, then maybe it would make sense. And if you stopped the deprenyl and the blurry vision got worse, then your problem could be any number of things, some of which are pretty bad. So I second the recommendation to see a doctor ASAP.

Are you using caffeine and have you had glaucoma issues?

#5 hyper_ventriloquism

• 60 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

Yup yup, see a doctor. BTW, do you have any known kidney impairment?

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

Have you checked your blood pressure? Please see a doctor soon. This could be something quite serious. Don't take any other drugs until you get it diagnosed.

#7 la Rochefoucauld

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

After not taking any drugs yesterday and today, the condition has improved and i can now read at short distances without much trouble.
So i guess i can wait to see the doctor.

To answer the questions; Yes, i use caffein, no, i have not a history with glaucoma(although grandmas sister had something similiar), no, my liver has always worked fine as far as i know, no, i have not checked my blood pressure but it feels normal.

Zoroaster; Since Selegiline is active in ones system for about 2-3 weeks after discontinual, and the fact that i took one tab of Wellbutrin xl in the weekend, i guess you can say these two drugs plus adrafinil acted simultaneus, although with weakened strength.

Now, is it always a serius thing to experience blurred vision/eye fatigue while testing a new drug? For instance, this information on selegiline tells that it´s a minor one:
http://www.parkinson...drugdb/120.html

#8 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

I've had blurred vision while testing Selegiline but I use caffeine, too much, and I
have pre-glaucoma.

#9 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

I got blurred vision from 75mg buproprion... no problems with 2mg selegiline though.

Edited by KimberCT, 04 December 2009 - 08:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:36 AM

Now, is it always a serius thing to experience blurred vision/eye fatigue while testing a new drug? For instance, this information on selegiline tells that it´s a minor one:
http://www.parkinson...drugdb/120.html

I'm sticking with the idea that dopamine overload would be a very unlikely explanation for your blurry vision given your dose. The link you provided is for parkinson's patients who are likely taking upwards of 10mg per day and may be taking it in combination with levadopa. Blurry vision for them is not the same as blurry vision for you.

Blurry vision due to testing a new drug may or may not be serious depending on the drug. But acute onset of blurry vision for no apparent reason is almost always serious. In fact I'm struggling to think of many non-dangerous causes of acute blurry vision.

If you were also taking a lot of caffeine and other stimulants then a rise in blood pressure and increased blood glucose could have given you blurry vision via increased intraocular pressure. If you have diabetes, pre-diabetes, or glaucoma as Johann mentioned than this would be more likely. Or if you're 40+ or African American. But that's still not a perfect fit with the history you described.

If it's going away, and you were using a lot of stimulants at the time, then that was probably the cause. If not, then I'd still get it checked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users