Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Doctors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

First question. When looking for a good doctor, what are some good things to ask doctors that you meet in order to find who will work best with you and who won't?
For example, are there any questions you would ask the doctor to check his or her medical knowledge? perhaps some questions that you think any good doctor should know the answers to?
Or are there any questions you would ask your doctor in terms of his or her values and where yours and his meet?

second question. What do you think are the most important parameters to get checked when visiting the doctor, and why?
How do you present these reasons to your doctor, and get as much important information about your physical state as you need?

#2 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, its a link to Reader's Digest-but I liked it enough when I read it a few weeks ago to remember it just now &) http://www.rd.com/li...icle166346.html

I'd add that with the advent of the Internet you can look at uncensored reviews. You can do a search for what your problems or interests are with your doctor's name and see what comes up. Sometimes you can find comments in forums, there are also many public reviews officias sites, and purely user generated unoficial sites.

You can also ask people who you respect in your community, what doctors they use. My mother is an RN so she always gets the scoop on the best doctors in town (ask an active nurse).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 protoject

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

Yeah, its a link to Reader's Digest-but I liked it enough when I read it a few weeks ago to remember it just now :) http://www.rd.com/li...icle166346.html

I'd add that with the advent of the Internet you can look at uncensored reviews. You can do a search for what your problems or interests are with your doctor's name and see what comes up. Sometimes you can find comments in forums, there are also many public reviews officias sites, and purely user generated unoficial sites.

You can also ask people who you respect in your community, what doctors they use. My mother is an RN so she always gets the scoop on the best doctors in town (ask an active nurse).

Thanks for the response. The last suggestion is definitely a good suggestion.

#4 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:18 AM

What do you think are the most important parameters to get checked when visiting the doctor, and why?

Vitamin D levels for almost everybody living a modern lifestyle and in some cases C reactive protein.

#5 protoject

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

C reactive protein.

^why?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 magellan

• 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:45 AM

Good recommendation to go to someone highly recommended
but what if this doctor is so in-demand that the waiting list is too long
and the doctor can only spend 3 minutes or less in the room with you?
for a general practitioner, you're likely to want slightly more time.
Even "bad" doctors (in every specialty) have patients who go to them who feel they are the best
So sometimes inside sources are not as reliable as one might think
Remember that even bad doctors know that if they treat another medical professional poorly that word will get out
for that reason sometimes doctors or nurses recommendations may be based on that doctor giving them 'above and beyond' care
Who wouldn't recommend that?
And what if you're new to an area or don't know any insider sources to locate the best doctor for you?

Here's what I would do.
1. find out if they prescribe natural medicines or recommend vitamins (they probably tend to prescribe more on the basis of patient need and symptom management)
you can do this at any particular pharmacy: ask the pharmacist for a list of doctors who prescribe armour thyroid/vitamins/etc.
work from that list.
2. find doctors in your area who belong to life extension foundation, natural medicine associations, physicians groups that are patient-centered, etc.
3. if there is too long to wait for an available appointment move keep in mind the doctor may be so busy that he may not be able to spend as much time with you. In these cases, it's possible you could get the physician's assistant or an associate doctor who might not be the person you want to see.
4. when you make it to your appointment ask the doctor why he or she became a doctor. if you like the answer then you have found the right doctor for you.

Sorry to go on so long.
I could write volumes.
But I won't for decency sake ;)
hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users