• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

ImmInst Documentary Film Project

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#31 spifflink

• 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:00 PM

i agree, but the look that it needs to give off need not be a boring 'talking head' doc like those old ones they used to show in school. it needs to be stylistic, but functionally so. as for money, i will pay my own way through. equipment wise, i will use all of my stuff, which i have kept in good shape, so it will operate at minimal expense. we also need to keep the content positive but not in the way that when we show these people that are passionate about longevity, the movement doesnt look like its chasing after some sci-fi hope. its needs to stay grounded in scientific fact while still being able to show what this science can do for the viewer. i can also do any graphic animation you need(although not 3d modeling, we would need a 3d tech for that). i am good with after effects, flash, and i seriously cannot wait to get my hands on apple's new 'motion' app coming out this summer. i want to do this thing in the summer, probably end of june or july, because we have a lot of pre-production to do on this. bj, that list of people that might be interested is a way good one, i saw some names on there that could help out, and they are way passionate about this. anyway, the style/look of this needs to be clean and functional but still is able to establish a tone for the entire film, one of fast paced progress.

#32 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:00 PM

such zines as Physical Immortality

It might be a good start to gather inspiration from other documentary films focusing in any length on our topic(s). Maybe we should compile a list of those and post it here. We could also make transcripts of them for reference when compiling the screenplay. That list could also act as a must-view reference for visitors of the immortality institute or other sites.

The next step I think, may be to compile a list of potential persons to interview, and start making questions and produce answers. This forum is a great source for both.

#33 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:34 PM

here's a rough list of audio and video i've compiled:
http://www.imminst.o...s=&act=SF&f=111

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:45 PM

I've asked other ImmInst Leaders to comment on this project idea, should seem them below soon.

#35 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:53 PM

Idea: as a way to tie things together.. we may wish to use the first ImmInst Book as a guide.. perhaps looking to the ~21 essay writers first for inspiration and possible interview... then we could offer the video and book as a package to the public for purchase.

Posted Image
The Scientific Conquest of Death: Essays on Infinite Lifespans

#36 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:09 PM

then we could offer the video and book as a package

That's an excellent idea. I am really looking forward to reading that book. Maybe as a bit of entertainment, we could make a small movie from one of the essays, if some of them has a good story line.

Purely sci-fi.
Just as a teaser.

Book + Documentary + Short Movie.

#37 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:24 PM

we're close to publication and i'll have a splash page with each essay and brief soon... the essays are focused on research rather than story.

#38 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:39 PM

Excellent project... spifflink, my hat is totally off to you and to all those who are willing to put their valuable time and effort into this!

Some thoughts..

[*] Having 'con' perspectives presented would provide 'artistic tension' and make the video all the more compelling and would I believe be more important here than in the book.
[*]Video is more accessible than text and as such, this could be an opportunity to present transhumanist principles in general, in a manner that is comprehensible to the majority of people. Again, as with the book.. who is the intended audience?
[*] Certainly, scientific fact will need to be at the core of the arguments presented but the concepts are likely to be more important than the details for the general viewer who I believe is in more need of this than the already enthusiastic transhuman.

obviously a lot to be gone over.. but the fact that this is being entertained in a serious fashion is quite exhilirating...

#39 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:53 PM

#  Having 'con' perspectives presented would provide 'artistic tension' and make the video all the more compelling and would I believe be more important here than in the book.

Yes, and that would enable people to freely think and realize that we're not trying to be cultish in our approach, thank you Kevin for your input.

#  Certainly, scientific fact will need to be at the core of the arguments presented but the concepts are likely to be more important than the details for the general viewer who I believe is in more need of this than the already enthusiastic transhuman.

that's what I was saying to my dad recently we need to convey these ideas to those who have no idea of what's at front for humanity.

#40 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:05 PM

Ok, I think we've skipped an important step here. Some questions:

1) Who are the intended audience?
2) What effect is the film intended to produce in the intended audience? (e.g. if we're educating them, what are we saying?)
3) What is the hook that gets the intended audience to see it in the first place?

Once we've answered these in detail, then we start to talk about what we're actually doing with this.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

#41 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:25 PM

1) the intended audience should be the enthusiast of science and new ideas and or anyone else, general populace, willing to view.

2) that's up for debate right now but I would venture to show them how potentially important some of these new technologies could be for the future of humanity, and obviously for them. The more we show the enthusiasm people share for these goals and the importance behind them the better off we should be. The Singularity why this may be inevitable, shouldnt' they want to know a little about it, that kind of focus.

3) the hook will be the style of filmmaking the emphasis on how it could vastly transform life as we know it. I think the hook is inherant in the idea, but I could be wrong. as was already mentioned the filmaking could be in your face fast moving to mirror technological progress

These are just basic non-detailed answers

#42 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:25 PM

Good questions, Reason.

1) Who are the intended audience?

The same for the ImmInst Book.. a general audience interested in life extension and immortality.

2) What effect is the film intended to produce in the intended audience? (e.g. if we're educating them, what are we saying?)

Give a feel for the philosophy of immortalism and the steps needed to overcome the blight of involuntary death. In line with the ImmInst mission.

3) What is the hook that gets the intended audience to see it in the first place?

The book: http://www.imminst.org/book

#43 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:27 PM

sorry BJ those were better answers

#44 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:37 AM

no prob... all ideas welcome.

#45 7000

• 172 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:15 AM

I think it is not only human [living things] that will acheive physical immortality.Things like coca-cola from coca-cola company have been existing for some years back and still exist most likely to the next generation or more...
However,we can also make an advert in form of a film with a movie sound track for "companies" product like this.I have the idea on how this could be achieve.

Apart from that idea,the main film can contain something interesting like human in the past, that is the early men how they express their thought and feelings when compare to modern human "human of this generation".

I can explain this much better and some other things that will make the film different and interesting than more than just a fiction!

#46 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:44 AM

7000 I thought of this rise of civilized man motif as well and I think it would work great in this documentary.

I would love to see how we coud do an advert like you mentioned.

Finally I contacted Filmaker Paula Foye who is a producer, director, and editor she is very professional with several documentaries to her name and she appears to be warming up to this idea. she will check out imminst's unique forums in the next couple of days.

#47 chubtoad

• Life Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:05 AM

The documentary is a excellent idea. I also agree that the civilized man motif may be a good approach, but I am completely ignorant about what makes a good documentary.

#48 7000

• 172 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:35 PM

I have a picture title "MATRIX" showing some group of ladies...having somethings to do with something in the sky.I have another picture title "REGION" showing the facial experession,looks and faces of a young lady...smiling to the infinity aswell as to the nearest future...telling us more about the subject of focus.

The photographs is use as motion pictures.The pictures,including the back ground is a new research.I took the photographs by myself and the negatives is all well reserve to avoid piracy.

The most interesting part is this,the pictures has what i will call X that gives perfection.That X is something that makes up a real AI.X comes and goes and it cannot be stored.When X is stored, it becomes an experienceX which is Y.Should i say the pictures has Y with experience X that makes it to be perfection.This is perfection in dynamics and it is dynamic in perfection.

I prefer to tell you the details of the advert in a PM or via an hotmail.So how should it be?

#49 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:00 AM

If you're talking to me please hotmail me at dfowler27@hotmail.com or PM me it sounds really interesting

#50 7000

• 172 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:35 AM

dfowler,ofcourse you're the one i'm talking to.I will get intouch with you as i have promised through your hotmail address or PM.

#51 7000

• 172 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:44 AM

chubtoad, i appreciate your last comment too.I also support ones again, the civilized man motif.

#52 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:24 AM

Heh, Bruce, what makes you think that people viewing a movie made from your idea will want to become immortalists after seeing it? Most people would rather die than live the paranoid, borderline-psychopathic life of that character.

#53 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:57 AM

ya, good point.. I've now shifted toward the idea of creating a documentary around the essay writers for the ImmInst book.. focusing more on the science behind extending life.

There is an audience for topics centered on advancing tech.. and a smaller but more devoted audience of life extensionists.

#54 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

Update: I'm contacting potential financial supporters for this project... if they give signs of support, i'll formalize this more.

#55 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:02 PM

thankyou that is awesome

#56 7000

• 172 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:56 PM

dflowler, conscerning the advert and the documentary, i tried that e-mail but the message was sent back.I will get intouch with you through PM or if you have another e-mail.

#57 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:28 PM

another email you should try is dfowler282004@yahoo.com or yahoomail.com sorry about that the other email gets full quickly!

#58 7000

• 172 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:57 AM

You can give me another e-mail address 'cos that one was sent back aswell.May be i should go through PM.

#59 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:06 AM

try dfowler282004@yahoomail.com than PM me! sorry

#60 7000

• 172 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:16 AM

Still dosen't work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users