Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

DOPAMINERGICS and loss of 'appreciation' - A topic for smart p

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 zodiac

• 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:13 AM

Hi, everyone. Just joined here at ImmInst, pleasure to be here..! I've actually been lurking around for the past few days and thought I'd pop by with something that really needs to be asked/investigated. There seem to be a number of folks around here who are experienced and knowledgeable in medicine (and all the related disciplines that involve observing our complicated nature and hypothesizing explanations about it). :D

It's a rather... elusive question, but:

Does anyone know, from a pharmacological perspective, what it is exactly about dopaminergic-type substances such as amphetamines (adderall) and oftentimes MAO inhibitors (selegiline a.k.a. deprenyl), that causes the commonly-documented feeling of being hyped up while not really being capable of proper 'appreciation' of things (like an inability to think in a relaxed, pleasurable manner) because of a mind-racing/thinking-too-fast feeling (which sometimes worsens sexual function too etc.)??? What aspect of the physiology would you think is the foremost responsible for this well-documented side-effect -- is it just the resultant mass activation of catecholamines/receptors in the CNS, or something else, more complex perhaps?

So yeah -- I was wondering if anyone could give me any sort of suggestions/explanations to start my research off with.

Any input will help this cause greatly. Looking forward to your responses..! Thanks, guys.
-z

Edited by zodiac, 09 December 2009 - 07:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users