New Platinum Compound Shows Promise in Tumor Cells

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garlicknots

• Life Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hmm,

The new compound, mitaplatin, combines cisplatin with another compound, dichloroacetate (DCA), which can alter the properties of mitochondria selectively in cancer cells. Cancer cells switch their mitochondrial properties to change the way they metabolize glucose compared to normal cells, and DCA specifically targets the altered mitochondria, leaving normal cells intact.

DCA + Cisplatin - Science Daily

Individually both of them have shown ability to cross the BBB, not sure if the combination can. DCA is being used somewhat in Canada, cisplatin is pretty standard for some cancers in the USA. As a monotherapy I don't really think DCA is that successful (many of the semi successful results included significant dietary changes, etc.) but used as an adjuvtant maybe it could be helpful. There is a brain tumor trial going on somewhere for temodar + DCA, wondering how that pans out.

fahd.

#2 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

Monotherapy? I don't think we can tell, as there are hardly phase II trials (I guess) and much less any outcome focused phase III studies of DCA...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 garlicknots

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:50 AM

Monotherapy? I don't think we can tell, as there are hardly phase II trials (I guess) and much less any outcome focused phase III studies of DCA...

I agree? I implied there weren't really enough studies on it. There do seem to be phase 2 trials that are ending soon in Alberta, Canada. http://www.clinicalt...T...=DCA&rank=1 . I wonder what the results will be and/or if they will be reported in a timely manner.

f/R

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:32 AM

The new compound, mitaplatin, combines cisplatin with another compound, dichloroacetate (DCA), which can alter the properties of mitochondria selectively in cancer cells. Cancer cells switch their mitochondrial properties to change the way they metabolize glucose compared to normal cells, and DCA specifically targets the altered mitochondria, leaving normal cells intact.

DCA + Cisplatin - Science Daily

Individually both of them have shown ability to cross the BBB, not sure if the combination can. DCA is being used somewhat in Canada, cisplatin is pretty standard for some cancers in the USA. As a monotherapy I don't really think DCA is that successful (many of the semi successful results included significant dietary changes, etc.) but used as an adjuvtant maybe it could be helpful. There is a brain tumor trial going on somewhere for temodar + DCA, wondering how that pans out.

As long as they aren't chemically bonded to each other, if they can cross the BBB individually, they should be able to do it when taken simultaneously as well. Cisplatin is still a really awful drug. Hopefully this combination will allow a lower dose of Cisplatin to be used.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theory fan, but the association of DCA with cisplatin seems to be just a way to have a patentable product, while plain DCA is not.

Looking forward to the results of the canadian DCA trial, as it is hard to know its real potential as an anticancer drug. The DCA web site is to much anecdotal (and dead users will not report back ...).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users