Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Looking to prevent aging starting at age 26

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Solarclimax

• 209 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

I have just turned 26 and i'm starting to think about age prevention, the main thing on my mind at the moment is a freind of mine is 1 year younger than me and is starting to go grey, i myself have not noticed a single grey hair on my own head, not sure if my hairline is starting to reced might just be that my forehead got a little bigger in recent years hehe. What type of things do people do to halt the onset of grey hair and or baldness ? what changes can i make to my lifestyle, that consists of healthy eating 95% of the time, regular intense exercise and pretty good sleep patterns ?

Edited by Solarclimax, 15 December 2009 - 07:17 PM.

#2 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

I don't know of anything you can do to specifically prevent grey hair. Stress is often implicated but more than anything else I think grey hair is completely hereditary. I've taken vitamins all of my life. Spent all of my teen years riding countless miles on my bike and later working out daily. I was very lean and always ate reasonably healthy. That being said, I had a couple grey hairs by the time I turned 20. I'm now 27 and I have more than my share. Luckily they are all on the side of my head and it's fashionable to wear your hair short there now. I remember reading about a drug being developed that could restore color to hair. Here's a link to a story about it: http://www.dailymail...nal-colour.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:28 AM

This is pseudoscience... but TCM claims that ho sho wu can delay - but not stop - the onset of graying and baldness.

From what I've seen, raw vegans tend to keep away the gray hairs, but that may be too much for you.

Your best bet is to stick to a vegetarian based CRON diet, which will naturally raise levels of catalase, preventing the onset of graying, also increase levels of SHBG which should slow male pattern baldness.

#4 Matt

• 2,865 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:35 AM

Calorie restriction DOES delay graying in animals. Check out the CR pictures posted on this forum (CR section).

Edited by Matt, 23 December 2009 - 05:11 AM.

#5 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:18 AM

It seems that a lot of raw food people look quite youthful for their age. Do you think this might be due to the extremely low levels of protein they eat mimicking a CR or methionine restriction lifestyle?

If you look at one of these menus they must not get more than 10-15 grams of protein a day.

#6 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

I'll take the grey hair if I get to carry a decent amount of muscle in return. Grey hair is probably the easiest sign of aging to fix.

While it's a nice thought that we could have control over such things, anecdote isn't enough to convince me that a change in diet will delay completely hereditary factors like hair loss and greying.

#7 Matt

• 2,865 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:57 AM

CR isn't anecdotal, it's proven to delay graying and hair loss in animals, and probably humans. They are not 'completely' hereditary either :-D But I guess CR is a little too much for you :-) ?

Edited by Matt, 23 December 2009 - 07:59 AM.

#8 numbered

• Guest, F@H
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

how about Glisodin . Maybe a high dose? no study for grey hair just anecdotal evidence it works . google it .
http://www.regrowth....v...f=5&t=20381

maybe CR will help maybe not. Stressing over it certainly wont.

#9 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

It's funny you talk about grey hair, as mine are kinda on a different way... from ash like in the recent 3-4 years they became brown and somehow continue to get darker (havne't been dark in any period of my life before). Sompe ppl I haven't seen in a long time even thought I've dyed my hair.

Edited by VidX, 23 December 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#10 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

It seems that a lot of raw food people look quite youthful for their age. Do you think this might be due to the extremely low levels of protein they eat mimicking a CR or methionine restriction lifestyle?

If you look at one of these menus they must not get more than 10-15 grams of protein a day.

Hard to say... could be that, could be the low AGE content, all the phytonutrients or some combination. Bottom line is they care about their health. I think everyone would look quite youthful on any reasonable diet if they took proper care of themselves.

Nikolas,
Isn't glisodin a scam?
Anyways, if it does raise levels of SOD, it could cause increased graying by shooting off more OH-

Edited by 1kgcoffee, 23 December 2009 - 10:54 PM.

#11 numbered

• Guest, F@H
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hard to say... could be that, could be the low AGE content, all the phytonutrients or some combination. Bottom line is they care about their health. I think everyone would look quite youthful on any reasonable diet if they took proper care of themselves.

Nikolas,
Isn't glisodin a scam?
Anyways, if it does raise levels of SOD, it could cause increased graying by shooting off more OH-

well there are studies (pubmed) saying glisodin works. i am thinking of adding it to my daily supp routine actually .

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:21 AM

I'll say one thing for those guys, they have a novel view of lipid metabolism:

Fats lubricate and oil the body.

#13 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

LOL

#14 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

So that's where synovial fluid comes from :-D

#15 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

Yes, or just good old confirmation bias? Why do people always argue using the weakest of the weakest kinds of evidence, anecdotes? More correctly you'd want to state: some raw foodists maintain a young look, despite crappy diets and deficiencies, as predicted by solid evidence on lipid peroxidation and glycotoxins, derived from experiments done by actual scientists using actual science.  :-D

That is especially addressed at thefountain. The plural of anecdote is not data, no matter how often you repeat it. Methionine restriction may contribute to their health but there's no evidence to suggest that protein restriction per se is beneficial (it's just a weak hypothesis based on the weak igf-1 hypothesis - could be true though, I just don't think it's very likely or very important).

Edited by kismet, 24 December 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#16 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

Sometimes it may be too late if you are going to wait for studies for anything that may be beneficial. There's clearly happening something with people on that diet, I guess that's what we can state for sure at this moment.

#17 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

There's clearly happening something with people on that diet, I guess that's what we can state for sure at this moment.

Your post is pretty disturbing. I mean I literally explained the issue in the post you responded to. We have studies, we have strong evidence, strong plausibility; yet, some people, still rely almost solely on "looks" and anecdotal evidence to justify semi-vegan, almost-raw diets. Well, yes, your gut feeling is/was right this time. But another time it may kill you--  ;)

This reasoning is perfectly absurd, after all, most centenarians smoke or have smoked and have cancer. So, clearly, we can state with confidence that smoking and cancer promotes life span.

Edited by kismet, 26 December 2009 - 01:01 AM.

#18 Solarclimax

• Topic Starter
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

Some interesting discussions :-)

#19 Solarclimax

• Topic Starter
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

LOL

Isn't that water ?

#20 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

There's clearly happening something with people on that diet, I guess that's what we can state for sure at this moment.

Your post is pretty disturbing. I mean I literally explained the issue in the post you responded to. We have studies, we have strong evidence, strong plausibility; yet, some people, still rely almost solely on "looks" and anecdotal evidence to justify semi-vegan, almost-raw diets. Well, yes, your gut feeling is/was right this time. But another time it may kill you-- ;)

This reasoning is perfectly absurd, after all, most centenarians smoke or have smoked and have cancer. So, clearly, we can state with confidence that smoking and cancer promotes life span.

Well then wait for a study. :p

#21 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

VidX, seriously, do you ignore my posts just to tease me or are you illiterate? I don't care either way, but it's still rather peculiar...

Edited by kismet, 26 December 2009 - 05:09 PM.

#22 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:38 PM

I guess we are making too big of an issue out of this. Clearly some things should be left for a common sense until there are studies done, as that's the best we can do at the moment..

#23 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

Your post is pretty disturbing. I mean I literally explained the issue in the post you responded to. We have studies, we have strong evidence, strong plausibility; yet, some people, still rely almost solely on "looks" and anecdotal evidence to justify semi-vegan, almost-raw diets. Well, yes, your gut feeling is/was right this time. But another time it may kill you--  ;)

Double and tripple emphasis mine. Just in case you really missed it and are not just teasing me.

Edited by kismet, 26 December 2009 - 11:05 PM.

#24 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:35 PM

I don't really know ahat long term studies are you talking about (i though that diet and life span wise the only realiable study is the CR one, applied on primates) could you elaborate a little?

#25 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

CR isn't anecdotal, it's proven to delay graying and hair loss in animals, and probably humans. They are not 'completely' hereditary either ;) But I guess CR is a little too much for you :-) ?

For you to make such broad statements about CR and its effect on hair loss and graying, I would like for you to be able to point out the specific causes of these age markers, and through what means CR delays this process. You seem to state that CR essentially slows down the clock in every single way. As if caloric intake is the only cause of aging. Breathing air causes aging.

Regardless, CR isn't "too much" for me. It actually comes quite naturally. I have never had an appetite. At the age of 12 for wrestling I weighed 88lbs @ over 5ft tall. When I graduated high school I was 6ft tall and weighed 130lbs..

Right now I weigh around 165lbs @ 6ft1 and that is with lifting weights every day and intentionally taking in extra calories when I'm not feeling hungry. I don't do CR because I value athletic ability and I enjoy using my body to the fullest every day. Being an emaciated waif is incongruent with the way I live.

#26 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

I don't do CR because I value athletic ability and I enjoy using my body to the fullest every day. Being an emaciated waif is incongruent with the way I live.

I completely agree with ya there, Chaos Theory.

#27 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:20 AM

CR isn't anecdotal, it's proven to delay graying and hair loss in animals, and probably humans. They are not 'completely' hereditary either ;) But I guess CR is a little too much for you :-) ?

For you to make such broad statements about CR and its effect on hair loss and graying, I would like for you to be able to point out the specific causes of these age markers, and through what means CR delays this process. You seem to state that CR essentially slows down the clock in every single way. As if caloric intake is the only cause of aging. Breathing air causes aging.

Regardless, CR isn't "too much" for me. It actually comes quite naturally. I have never had an appetite. At the age of 12 for wrestling I weighed 88lbs @ over 5ft tall. When I graduated high school I was 6ft tall and weighed 130lbs..

Right now I weigh around 165lbs @ 6ft1 and that is with lifting weights every day and intentionally taking in extra calories when I'm not feeling hungry. I don't do CR because I value athletic ability and I enjoy using my body to the fullest every day. Being an emaciated waif is incongruent with the way I live.

Why would you lift everday? Overtraining is not a good thing.

#28 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

Can't speak for matt, but here's a gross simplification of how it works:
Hair loss: In men, mainly caused by DHT. CR increases levels of SHBG, which lowers DHT and slows hair loss.
Graying: CR is known to boost endogenous antioxidants. More catalase = less bleaching of hair.

#29 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

Why would you lift everday? Overtraining is not a good thing.

Overtraining has nothing to do with the number of consecutive days someone chooses to go to the gym. It's total volume over time and even that limit varies by the persons genetics, age, diet, and rest. Would a person be overtraining if they go to the gym and perform one exercise every day?

I go to the gym every day but only exercise one or two muscle groups. The enhanced mood and feeling of accomplishment stays with me for the rest of the day. On days when I don't make it to the gym I feel off for the rest of the day. Not completely alert.

From an evolutionary standpoint I can't imagine early humans having the luxury of sedentary days. I don't feel it's coincidence that the risk factors contributing to most of the leading causes of death can be diminished by regular exercise.

#30 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:51 AM

Can't speak for matt, but here's a gross simplification of how it works:
Hair loss: In men, mainly caused by DHT. CR increases levels of SHBG, which lowers DHT and slows hair loss.
Graying: CR is known to boost endogenous antioxidants. More catalase = less bleaching of hair.

I read the study implicating a loss of catalase in hair graying. It was pointed out that in the follicles where graying occurred, catalase was almost non-existent. Meaning, it was not a "ramping down" of catalase production, but rather a setpoint where production of catalase completely stopped. Moreover, the mice used in the study were chosen because they are genetically predisposed to premature hair graying. Not because they are known to be obese mice, who smoke, drink, and avoid running on the wheel.

If CR does indeed cause the changes in gene expression to affect catalase production in hair follicles, then it should restore normal H2O2 levels in the follicle and allow the color to return to gray hair. I don't make my way to the CR forum very often. Has anyone reported the color returning to their hair? Show me some before and after pictures of that and I'll empty my fridge and begin surviving on scraps of lettuce too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users