• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Hypothetical Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tehra

• 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:30 AM

Just a hypothetical question posted for curiosity's sake.

Let's say in 20 years the secret to immortality is discovered. Everyone on this board suddenly becomes immortal through some revolutionary technique. No aging, no disease etc etc

Now jump forward 50 years, and science irrefutably proves that the afterlife exists in the form of eternal paradise, heaven & what have you for EVERYONE. (This is all hypothetical, I can't be bothered elaborating).

The question is: Would you give up your immortality and allow yourself to die, or would you carry on living an infinite lifespan in "this world"?

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:43 AM

Great question!

My first inclination is to double-check the math on the so-called 'irrefutable' proof. My second inclination is to ask for a couple of days to sleep on it. My third inclination is to go back to my first inclination... probably in an infinite loop.. and especially if conditions were improving on earth, then there'd be little reason to jump ship. But, if things were indeed getting worse then making a decision would be mute point anyway. So, I'd just stick it out here in the real world either way working to improve conditions for as long as I could. Sorta like what we're doing now :)

#3 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:20 PM

If 'heaven' or some such ecstatic state TRULY existed would I choose to die.. ?

Heck.. get me a gun...

Before pullling the trigger however, I would not only have to know that there existed a 'heaven', but ALSO the purpose for the existence of this somewhat less than happy vale of creation. It might be that my existence on this 'plane' may serve some purpose which in abandonment would have unseen negative consequences for myself or for others that would affect my decision to jump ship.

Concrete evidence and answers that I can experience with my senses, however suspect and subject to inaccuracies, would be required on both of these questions before I'd take the offramp into the afterlife willingly.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 chubtoad

• Life Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

Is it assumed that this eternal paradise is better or as good as anything we could create in this universe?
If so, absolutely. If not I would have to weigh the risks.
Of course I would need concrete answers before making the decision.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:53 PM

I know I am skirting the purpose of the question by speculating....but here goes...If science finds irrefutable evidence that there is an afterlife, science would probably be able to discover a way to get there without dying.

But in the black and white scenario that you outlined I would say there are equal chances for me of going or staying. It depends a lot on my happiness here on earth.

#6 th3hegem0n

• 379 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:14 PM

I would have to agree with those above: I'd hang around here indefinetly (which is exactly as it is anyway). Defining paradise in a secular way is practically impossible as it is, so I'd want more info on exactly what this "paradise" is.

#7 tehra

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:14 AM

Eternal lucid dreaming composed and controlled by the self, no loss of ego, no unsettling thoughts of loved ones suffering in hell, the sum of all person's lucid realities connected via "hyperlinks".

Or possibly... Dissolution of the ego/self, merging with the universal consciousness, and a state of pure eternal ecstacy & bliss.

#8 tous

• 78 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 03:01 AM

Id just stick around long enough for them to make a bridge to this afterworld...Nah that awnsers to easy to simple.....hmmm

Id stay here...a permenent happiness sounds great but what is it but a cell? An if it were to be based on a self controlled dream as tehra purposed would it not be based on your past and your imagination? IE nothing new, nothing changing? Not for me....The reason I want to live forever is simply because there are infinite things that could happen here...And there is never a possibility that you could experience them all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users