Photo

Cancer cured in Humans

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:10 AM

Next Dendreon? Novelos' CEO Eyeing "Revolutionary" Phase III Results PDF | Print | E-mail
Written by M.E.Garza
Wednesday, 16 December 2009 00:00

"What's interesting about Novelos is that we're in a Pivotal Phase III trial for lung cancer under both SPA and Fast Track for our NOV-002 lead compound," explains Novelos Therapeutics' (OTC: NVLT) Chief Executive Officer, Harry S. Palmin.

The study, a randomized, open-label, Phase 3 Trial of NOV-002 in Combination with Paclitaxel and Carboplatin vs. Paclitaxel and Carboplatin alone for the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer is being conducted under the FDA's Special Protocol Assessment. It blinds Novelos from seeing any results as it progresses.

In other words, there is no interim analysis. There is only "one look" and that look occurs once 725 deaths take place during the trial.

"These patients with a median survival of eight to ten months unfortunately die pretty quickly," explains Novelos Therapeutics' Chief Executive Officer, Harry S. Palmin. "One year survival, which is another way to look at this, is just about 40%."

The pivotal study itself began more than three years ago, in November of 2006. By March of 2008, the enrollment target of patients had been reached and now, over a year and a half later, the 725th event has not yet occurred.

It's become pretty obvious, even to the most casual observer, that the patients involved in the trial are living longer than expected and that, in fact, is one of the reasons why Wall Street has begun to take more interest in the company and the study. Originally, most observers, including insiders at the company, expected that the trial might reach a conclusion some time during the middle of this year.

"It's a very unique value proposition," says Palmin. "If you think of Avastin, Roche's drug, it's the only drug in non-small cell lung cancer, first line treatment that showed a survival advantage. They showed a two month survival advantage, 12.3 months versus 10.3, but the drug has severe toxicities associated with it on top of the chemotherapy toxicities and it's very expensive. It's also only available to very few lung cancer patients because the histology it works for is non-squamous.

"The point that I'm trying to make is that given our current statistical projections, because our trial is going late, if we assume that the control group does in fact what it's supposed to, around a ten month median survival, and there's historical data on some four-thousand patients with advanced stage lung cancer that have taken our type of chemotherapy (paclitaxel/carboplatin [standard of care in the U.S.]), then we should be on track to achieve or possibly even exceed our possible twelve and a half month median survival target.

"By way of background, we started the pivotal Phase III on lung cancer on the back of three Phase II's," explains Palmin. "Same patient population and in two of the trials that were done in Russia, we saw dramatic survival advantages, better anti-tumor effects and in the United States, we saw doubling response rates and better toleration of chemotherapy. So there are three lung cancer trials that were the basis for the pivotal Phase III. We, of course, have applicability to other indications because we're not tumor specific and we're not chemotherapy specific."

That is an important point that has not gone unnoticed. This year, Perdue Pharma has invested over $19 million dollars in Novelos. The company itself, since going public over 5 years ago, has raised over $70 million dollars.

"We had good data out of Russia in non-small cell lung and it is the number one cancer killer, currently; late stage lung cancer," says Palmin. "There are north of two-hundred thousand new patients each year and more than one hundred and sixty thousand deaths and it's a huge market. Just lung cancer is north of a $3.5 billion dollar market.

"Since we have applicability, really, to all solid tumors, in Russia the drug is already approved for general use with chemotherapy. Here in the United States, we've had two positive Phase II results in ovarian and breast cancer. Channel 7 in Miami recently profiled a breast cancer patient that was in our Phase II breast cancer trial and went into complete remission. No signs of cancer. That's based on publicly available information where we've had forty percent of the patients have had no sign of their cancer after treatment of chemo and our drug.
"In addition, the patients that take our drug with the chemotherapy have a much better quality of life while under that treatment, versus being on chemo alone. Plus, very importantly, there is the efficacy improvement. That makes this a very different approach to the treatment of cancer."

BioMedReports: Can you tell us about the mechanism of the drug?

Palmin: "In short, what we do is we regulate redox-sensitive cell signaling pathways that are involved in cancer proliferation, cell-mediated immunity and blood recovery, basically. Recovery from chemotherapy toxicity.

"Some companies tried to use oxidative stress as a way to kill tumors and not surprisingly, that can result in pretty severe side effects for the patient. What we do, is we administer our proprietary formulation of Oxidized glutathione (NOV-002), which induces transient oxidative signal throughout the body and that has pretty profound, different effects in tumor cells versus normal cells. So what we've seen- and this is in patients, in vivo (experimentation using a whole, living organism as opposed to a partial or dead organism), in animals and in vitro experiments (performed not in a living organism but in a controlled environment, such as in a test tube), what we've seen is this different effect on tumor versus normal cells.

"So in tumor cells, we actually potentiate the chemotherapy. We make the cancer cells more sensitive to chemotherapy and we also inhibit the cancer's ability to metastasize (spread). so there are all sorts of interesting effects that happen at the tumor level. However, on the normal cells- for example bone marrow cells and blood cells- which of course get damaged by chemotherapy, we don't stop the damage but we do help the recovery from that damage. In the words of big pharma, 'if this Phase III trial is positive, this will be revolutionary for the cancer field.'

"We're well funded. We are expecting this Pivotal Phase III outcome in early 2010. We have about a year's worth of funding, so the plan is that as soon as the data is out, we're going to work with a bulge investment bank - like are you familiar with the Dendreon (NASDAQ:DNDN) story?

BioMedReports: Of course.

Palmin: "The idea is to do something very similar as soon as our data is out. So they were a four or five dollar stock that had a positive Phase III in prostate cancer under a similar SPA and Fast Track and, of course, they jumped to a several billion market cap.

BioMedReports: What are you trading at now?

Palmin: "We're trading at around a dollar, we have 117 million shares outstanding (40 million in the float) between common and preferred, which puts us at about $100 million market cap.

"Cougar (Biotechnology) was purchased by Johnson and Johnson for $1 billion in May and that was short of their Phase III results. Our shares at $6 puts us at $1 billion market cap, so our feeling is, that if this Phase III is positive- and there are a lot of reasons to be encouraged even though there are no guarantees- things will play out nicely.

BioMedReports: This sounds like a winner.

Palmin: "I couldn't agree more. Over the past two and a half years I've bought four hundred thousand shares at market.

"There's actually pretty ample liquidity and there's been a fair amount of trading.

"Elemer Piros of Rodman & Ranshaw has covered us with a $3 price target and Raymond Myers, at Emerging Growth Equities has a $5 price target. Our challenge has been to get more coverage on Wall Street and once the Phase III data comes in, of course, that won't be a problem. We already know bulge banks that would want to initiate on us. We do not pay for research. No fees in terms of stock or cash. Even the attention we've gotten thus far has been unsolicited.

"The current approach is to spread the word as much as possible, to get more eyeballs on us so that when the data comes out, to the extent that as people get focused on us earlier, then all the better of course."
Biotech investors know that anything can happen in a single Phase II result. Whats nice about Novelos' situation is that they've had no bad news and lots of positive news.

In their lung cancer studies alone they've had three positive Phase II studies- all prior to starting this large 900 patient Phase III trial.

In other indications, in the U.S., the company announced positive results in breast cancer and ovarian cancer and it's nice to have the validation from Russia across many thousands of patients.

BioMedReports: What are your plans for bringing the drug to market yourself?

Palmin: "I would say that we have a competitive advantage on the clinical and development side and that we have a disadvantage when it comes to on the marketing.

"In the United States, our plan is that as soon as the Phase III data is out for us to hold a competitive auction for the U.S. Rights."

Developing...

BiomedReports is not paid or compensated to report news and developments about publicly traded companies.
Full disclosure can be read at the bottom of / About Us / Section

http://biomedreports...dy-results.html

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

I think the title of this thread is a little overstated, to put it mildly. "New drug may significantly improve chemotherapy effectiveness in cancer patients" would be better IMO. Of course, any improvements in survival rates is great! What is especially encouraging is that this compound might work in a broad spectrum of cancers.

Interesting to note that the drug is already approved in Russia (according to this article anyway).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Meh. I hear it every day and it's just as wrong as any other day. Am I spoiling the fun if I call for primary sources instead of shameless self-promotion via some website?

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

The shameless self-promotion is working; the stock popped this week on hugely increased volume. To be honest, it looks like it's going to be a money maker at this point, but these things have a way of changing. I agree that the title is overstating it.

#5 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:57 PM

As said, title is a bit overstated. Two remissions is great but in all reality cancer patients go into remission very often, sometimes spontaneously (miraculously). It's great that these advances are being made and I hope this drug will be a winner but it is a stretch to say cancer cured.

#6 bixbyte

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

The shameless self-promotion is working; the stock popped this week on hugely increased volume. To be honest, it looks like it's going to be a money maker at this point, but these things have a way of changing. I agree that the title is overstating it.

That is not True, I bought NVLT stock over 4 years ago for over $3 a share and have faithfully held.
I even posted Novelos on this board years ago and no one responded.
Nobody believed me, I realized NOV-002 was a quantum leap in Cancer therapy over 4 years ago.
The cure for cancer is worth more than money and I never plan to sell my Novelos Therapeutics.
Zoolander once ridiculed me for trying to explain NOV-002 efficacy.
Now that 40% have been shown to have a complete remission of their cancer.
I am being attacked for being the messenger.
Shame that Russia is ahead of the US in saving people's lives that have cancer by NOV-002 approved for all cancer use.
USA is behind a third world country cancer medication.

Remember the original Movie.
The Day the Earth Stood Still ?

The alien greeted humankind with the cure for cancer.

They shot his arm off.

That is how I feel.
You shoot me for being the messenger?

#7 Mind

• 19,082 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Remember the original Movie.
The Day the Earth Stood Still ?

They shot his arm off.

That is how I feel.

People who have followed cancer treatments and hype throughout the years are just being realistic and justifiably skeptical, it is nothing personal against you.

NVLT at less than $1.20 a share still seems like an attractive spec stock price. Maybe your investment will yet pay off big.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

That is not True, I bought NVLT stock over 4 years ago for over $3 a share and have faithfully held.
I even posted Novelos on this board years ago and no one responded.

It did pop, bix, relative to where it was when you last posted about it. I even thought about buying it then; I should have. I still might. It looks like you could make a few bucks.

I am being attacked for being the messenger.
They shot his arm off.
That is how I feel.

Oh, c'mon bix, you aren't being attacked. The CEO of the company is promoting his stock. Big deal. I appreciate it that you brought it to our attention. I do think that talking about a cancer cure it overstating it. It looks like an advance in therapy, and that is good, but it's not the end of cancer. This is just a small criticism, not an attack.

BTW, regarding faithfully holding biotech stocks, I once invested in a promising biotech at around two bucks a share. I faithfully held all the way up to $45, and continued faithfully holding all the way back down to about 5 bucks. Sometimes it pays to be unfaithful to a stock.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention; I hope that it is extremely successful.

#9 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

Nobody believed me, I realized NOV-002 was a quantum leap in Cancer therapy over 4 years ago. Well into phase 1 trials? How did you realise it while tens of thousands of the best researchers worldwide have been missing the boat for so long?
The cure for cancer is worth more than money and I never plan to sell my Novelos Therapeutics. Well, it's worth about 50 trillion dollars, too. http://www.spacedail...on_Dollars.html

Zoolander once ridiculed me for trying to explain NOV-002 efficacy. rightly so
Now that 40% have been shown to have a complete remission of their cancer.
I am being attacked for being the messenger. no, we are just pointing out that your message is silly.

I don't think cancer patients deserve to be spit in the face even more. Every day cancer is cured. Every day thousands die from cancer. It's a strange world.

NVLT at less than $1.20 a share still seems like an attractive spec stock price. Maybe your investment will yet pay off big.

Ok, it's a penny stock. Why didn't I think of it. Is it mere stock-pushing or is there really any evidence in the primary literature?

#10 bixbyte

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:08 AM

Ok, it's a penny stock. Why didn't I think of it. Is it mere stock-pushing or is there really any evidence in the primary literature?

Here is some evidence that NOV-002 could be the Gold Standard for Cancer treatment in the future:

NOV-002, a proprietary formulation of oxidized glutathione, is the lead compound of Novelos Therapeutics Inc (NVLT). NOV-002 acts as a chemopotentiator and a chemoprotectant, in combination with chemotherapy, by regulating redox-sensitive cell signaling pathways. Novelos is conducting an international pivotal Phase 3 trial of NOV-002 for treatment of advanced lung cancer, under a Special Protocol Assessment (SPA) and Fast Track. Trial conclusion is expected in early 2010. NOV-002 is approved and marketed in Russia by Pharma BAM under the trade name Glutoxim®. It has been administered to over 10,000 patients, including clinical studies of 390 patients across many tumor types, demonstrating clinical efficacy and excellent safety data.

Novelos' randomized, open-label, international, pivotal Phase 3 trial is evaluating NOV-002 in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin versus paclitaxel and carboplatin alone, in approximately 900 patients with Stage IIIb/IV NSCLC. The trial, with a primary efficacy endpoint of improvement in median overall survival, is being conducted across approximately 12 countries and 100 clinical sites. Novelos commenced the trial in November 2006, and reached target enrollment of 840+ patients in March 2008. This pivotal Phase 3 trial is expected to conclude in early 2010.

U.S. Phase 2 Results

In a controlled randomized U.S. Phase 1/2 clinical trial, advanced NSCLC patients (n=29) treated first-line with NOV-002 in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin demonstrated improved objective tumor response (p < 0.05) and higher tolerance of chemotherapy (p < 0.01) versus active control (n=15).

A U.S. Phase 2 neoadjuvant breast cancer trial is ongoing at University of Miami and Medical University of South Carolina to evaluate the ability of NOV-002 to enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy. To date, as presented at San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium in December 2008, 6 pathologic complete responses occurred in the first 15 women (40%) that have completed chemotherapy and undergone surgery, which is much greater than <20% historical expectation in HER-2 negative patients. Furthermore, NOV-002 decreased hematologic toxicities.

A U.S. Phase 2 platinum-resistant ovarian cancer trial at Mass General Hospital and Dana Farber was presented at ASCO in May 2008. NOV-002 (plus carboplatin) slowed disease progression in 60% of evaluable patients (9 out 15), mostly fourth-line, with median PFS of 15.4 weeks - almost double the historical control of 8 weeks. Furthermore, hematologic toxicity was mild, suggesting possible mitigating effect of NOV-002.

== Sources ==

http://clinicaltrial...4...-002&rank=1

http://clinicaltrial...9...-002&rank=2

http://www.novelos.c...cle_4-15-08.pdf

http://www.novelos.c...rticle_6-08.pdf

www.novelos.com

#11 bixbyte

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:32 AM

NOV-002 = 40% remission rate in Breast Cancer clinical trial is noted by Dr Montero Oncologist:

http://www.sylvester...sp?id=a_montero

Research Knowledgebase
Alberto Montero, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine

View full faculty profile

Description of Research

Dr. Montero's primary interest is in development of effective immunotherapeutic strategies for the treatment of solid tumors (in particular in breast cancer and hepatobiliary malignancies). Dr. Montero has a special interest in understanding how tumor derived factors lead to the accumulation of myeloid derived suppressor cells (MDSC) and what bearing circulating MDSCs have on regulatory T-cells, prognosis, and on effectiveness of cancer vaccines or other immunotherapeutic strategies.

Dr. Montero's ongoing research includes a novel glutathione mimetic (NOV-002) which is part of an investigator initiated phase II neoadjuvant trial at the University of Miami which thusfar in 17 patients with HER-2 unamplified breast cancer has shown to have an approximate 40% near pathologic and complete response rate (pCR) when combined with standard anthracycline-taxane based chemotherapy. In comparison to previously published trials, expected breast and node pCR rates for a similar chemotherapy regimen in HER-2 negative patients would be approximately 10-20%. Dr. Montero and colleagues have shown that NOV-002 has an immunomodulatory effect in vivo which may be an important mechanism of action. Currently, Dr. Montero is investigating the effects of NOV-002 on MDSC and dendritic cells in preclinical models as well as in correlative studies from collected blood from an ongoing phase II trial.

Selected Cancer-Related Publications

Salem ML, Diaz-Montero CM, Al-Khami AA, El-Naggar SA, Naga O, Montero AJ, Khafagy A, Cole DJ. Recovery from cyclophosphamide-induced lymphopenia results in expansion of immature dendritic cells which can mediate enhanced prime-boost vaccination antitumor responses in vivo when stimulated with the TLR3 agonist poly(I:C). J Immunol 182:2030-40, 2009. PubMed link

Diaz-Montero CM, Salem ML, Nishimura MI, Garrett-Mayer E, Cole DJ, Montero AJ. Increased circulating myeloid-derived suppressor cells correlate with clinical cancer stage, metastatic tumor burden, and doxorubicin-cyclophosphamide chemotherapy. Cancer Immunol Immunother 58(1):49-59, 2009. PubMed link

Diaz-Montero CM, El Naggar S, Al Khami A, El Naggar R, Montero AJ, Cole DJ, Salem ML. Priming of naive CD8+ T cells in the presence of IL-12 selectively enhances the survival of CD8+CD62Lhi cells and results in superior anti-tumor activity in a tolerogenic murine model. Cancer Immunol Immunother 57(4):563-72, 2008. PubMed link

Jiang Y, Ming L, Montero AJ, Kimchi E, Nikfarjam M, Staveley-O'Carroll KF. Optimizing imatinib mesylate treatment in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Gastrointest Cancer Res 2:245-50, 2008. PubMed link

Gudena V, Montero AJ, Glück S. Gemcitabine and taxanes in metastatic breast cancer: a systematic review. Ther Clin Risk Manag 4:1157-64, 2008. PubMed link

For full description of Multidisciplinary Research Program(s), Tumor Immunobiology Program.
Back to Research Knowledgebase

#12 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hi Bixbyte,

Very interesting. I have a few questions... all the clinical trials are with this drug along with other approved general chemotherapy. It appears that the drug makes other chemo drugs work better... makes the healthy cells stay healthy and allows cancer cells to die.... Is this because it works on some sort of elimination pathway?

On some of your posts it appears the main reason why they are developing this is because it will make current general cancer chemo drugs (Carboplatin, Paclitaxel, docetaxel, doxorubicin hydrochloride..ect) work better. How come they are not trying this with more specific cancer drugs. Meaning why not a specific inhibitor of a pathway.

Biotechs in general have been developing anti-cancer drugs that are very specific anti-cancer drugs that inhibit certain pathways. This potentially means less side effects...ect. Just wondering what research has been made with NOV-002 and the way the industry is going as a whole to develop novel specific inhibitors.

#13 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

I see hyperbole has not been cured in humans.

#14 bixbyte

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Hi Bixbyte,

Very interesting. I have a few questions... all the clinical trials are with this drug along with other approved general chemotherapy. It appears that the drug makes other chemo drugs work better... makes the healthy cells stay healthy and allows cancer cells to die.... Is this because it works on some sort of elimination pathway?

On some of your posts it appears the main reason why they are developing this is because it will make current general cancer chemo drugs (Carboplatin, Paclitaxel, docetaxel, doxorubicin hydrochloride..ect) work better. How come they are not trying this with more specific cancer drugs. Meaning why not a specific inhibitor of a pathway.

Biotechs in general have been developing anti-cancer drugs that are very specific anti-cancer drugs that inhibit certain pathways. This potentially means less side effects...ect. Just wondering what research has been made with NOV-002 and the way the industry is going as a whole to develop novel specific inhibitors.

I have not heard from you in a long time.

ONE - the CEO of the company is hoping for NOV-002 FDA approval on the single Fast Track, Special Protocol Assessment, Phase III study.

TWO - NOV-002 standalone chemo study?
Here is the link to that NOV-002 Clinical Trial . Gov study for Leukemia treatment without adjunct chemo.

http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT00960726

The study has not been started because Novelos Needs Money.

THREE - NOV-002 competes on two Glutathione substrates as researched by the Wistar Institute.

"Inhibition of Tumor invasion ErbB2/PI3K pathway"

on the novelos.com website as a .pdf file titled Wistar_AACR_2009.

NOV-002 acts as a competitive substrate of TWO Glutathione Pathways this is cited at the Cancer.gov the definition of NOV-002 (NCI Thesaurus).

Two Substrates:
ONE is called the Glutathione pathway (GSH).
TWO is called the GSSG or oxidized Glutathione (thiol) is turned on in our cells to fight oxidative stress (attacks).

The Wistar Titles their poster:
Inhibition of Tumor invasion ErbB2/PI3K pathway.

The ErbB2 and PI3K pathways are two anticancer messengers.
That is since NOV-002 actually follows not ONE but TWO Glutathione pathways.
They Also referenced NOV-002 p38 gene activity.

Here is what I have learned of NOV-002 efficacy to date:
Not only does NOV-002 appear to reprogram your cells to prevent cancer from metatastizing but

NOV-002 also reprograms your "Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A" VEGFA to enhance your interior blood vessels to be stronger and allows your blood to better tolerate Chemotherapy.

FOUR - see the post on the www.novelos.com website title EROTC_BOWERS_MUSC.pdf:

HOW NOV-002 treatment leads to gene expression changes in SKOV3 cancer cell line
----------

NADPH oxidase genes are up-regulated by chronic NOV-002 treatment in SKOV3 cells

NOX5 - 13.3 fold NADPH oxidase, EF calcium binding domain 5
- produces superoxide
- activated by calcium

CYBA - 2.1 fold - Cytochrome b-245 alpha polypeptide; p22 PHOX
- 22 KD subunit of NADPH oxidase
- produces superoxide anion

NCF - 2.1 fold - Neutrophil cytosolic factor 1: p47 PHOX; NOX02
- 67 KD subunit of NADPH oxidase
- produces superoxide anion
-----------------------------------
Other genes are up-regulated by chronic NOV-002 treatment in SKOV3 cells

IL8 - 39 fold - interleukin 8
- CXC chemokine; medicator of inflammatory response
- Chemoatrractrant and angiogenic factor
- Induced by oxidative stress

VEGFA - 3.5 fold - Vascular endothelial growth factor A
- Angiogenic factor
- Induced by oxidative stress
- Activates NADPH oxidase resulting in superoxide production

JUN - 1.8 fold - Jun oncogenes
- Activation can lead to Apoptosis

FIVE - Big Pharma Research for cancer treatments work specifically BUT, NOV-002 is multitasking because it is following two pathways.

SIX - NOV-002 In breast Cancer Phase II trials UM Sylvester in Miami a 40% remission rate without surgery.

That is why.

Alex

#15 Mind

• 19,082 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Just wondering if we should change the title of this thread now that the Phase III trial did not meet survival endpoints.

In a statement, company president and chief executive Harry Palmin, said: "We are very disappointed that our pivotal Phase 3 lung cancer trial did not meet the primary survival endpoint. We were hopeful of a positive outcome based on our statistical model simulations and stated assumptions. In retrospect, it appears our simulations were inaccurate due to trial data deviating from our statistical model, the impact of censoring patterns, and control arm survival exceeding our expectations based on historical precedents. We will conduct a thorough analysis of all the data, and expect to present detailed Phase 3 lung cancer trial results later this year. Meanwhile, we are scheduled to present new NOV-002 preclinical data at the AACR Annual Meeting in April 2010, and we are on track for results from a NOV-002 Phase 2 breast cancer trial in 3Q 2010. We are also on track to initiate a Phase 2 hepatitis C trial shortly, with our second compound NOV-205."

For investment purposes, as was discussed previously, the stock is dirt cheap now, but can the company survive. Apparently the drug is approved in Russia but they only made $10,000 the entire last quarter they reported. Just wondering how long the company can operate when it is hemorrhaging a couple million per quarter and making essentially zero income (=nobody is buying their product)

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:08 AM

Just wondering if we should change the title of this thread now that the Phase III trial did not meet survival endpoints.

In a statement, company president and chief executive Harry Palmin, said: "We are very disappointed that our pivotal Phase 3 lung cancer trial did not meet the primary survival endpoint. We were hopeful of a positive outcome based on our statistical model simulations and stated assumptions. In retrospect, it appears our simulations were inaccurate due to trial data deviating from our statistical model, the impact of censoring patterns, and control arm survival exceeding our expectations based on historical precedents. We will conduct a thorough analysis of all the data, and expect to present detailed Phase 3 lung cancer trial results later this year. Meanwhile, we are scheduled to present new NOV-002 preclinical data at the AACR Annual Meeting in April 2010, and we are on track for results from a NOV-002 Phase 2 breast cancer trial in 3Q 2010. We are also on track to initiate a Phase 2 hepatitis C trial shortly, with our second compound NOV-205."

For investment purposes, as was discussed previously, the stock is dirt cheap now, but can the company survive. Apparently the drug is approved in Russia but they only made $10,000 the entire last quarter they reported. Just wondering how long the company can operate when it is hemorrhaging a couple million per quarter and making essentially zero income (=nobody is buying their product)

By "the impact of censoring patterns" I hope that Palmin means that they had no idea about the survival rate in the placebo arm, because if they knew about it, then the hyping of the results that was going on a couple months ago sound pretty close to securities fraud. The stock ran up to $3.05, then proceeded smoothly back down to $1.33 or so in a fashion that looked like a large seller was feeding out shares as fast as they could sell them. "Footprints of elephants", as they say. It hit 28 cents today before stabilizing in the low thirties. Some people lost a lot of money on this. And some, needless to say, made a lot. Palmin might want to look into a bodyguard.

#17 LetMusicRule

• 36 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

The future of chemotherapy is much much better than it was. A whole new slay of medication is approaching that are much much more useful at restoring the cell's programming to apoptosis. Problem is that the current financial crisis didn't really help the drug development pipeline and the government's involvement in health care won't encourage research either. In fact, its easy to see. Pharmaceuticals are dropping research fields altogether and pulling their resources to a few specific research areas.

#18 frederickson

• 282 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:29 AM

The future of chemotherapy is much much better than it was. A whole new slay of medication is approaching that are much much more useful at restoring the cell's programming to apoptosis. Problem is that the current financial crisis didn't really help the drug development pipeline and the government's involvement in health care won't encourage research either. In fact, its easy to see. Pharmaceuticals are dropping research fields altogether and pulling their resources to a few specific research areas.

I wouldn't blame the government for Big Pharma's abject failures. Instead, look at their marketing expenditures and emphasis on profitable - but marginally beneficial - "me too" drugs. If they would spend more of their own money on research and less on Viagra commercials, perhaps these cancer therapies would advance.

#19 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:11 AM

Problem is that the current financial crisis didn't really help the drug development pipeline and the government's involvement in health care won't encourage research either. In fact, its easy to see. Pharmaceuticals are dropping research fields altogether and pulling their resources to a few specific research areas.

You are correct that Big Pharma is getting out of drug discovery, but I don't think that the financial crisis or the impending regulation of insurance companies (aka "involvement in health care") had much to do with it. It's been underway for a while, longer than the financial crisis or existence of the Obama Administration. The problem is that the blockbusters weren't coming fast enough to sustain the old business model, so it had to give way. Some drug discovery will still be done in house, but more will be done in small shops, academia, and overseas. When the big guys see something they like, they will license it in.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 aaCharley

• 79 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:47 AM

I wouldn't blame the government for Big Pharma's abject failures. Instead, look at their marketing expenditures and emphasis on profitable - but marginally beneficial - "me too" drugs. If they would spend more of their own money on research and less on Viagra commercials, perhaps these cancer therapies would advance.

Maybe just devote the amount spent on Cheetos and JuJuBe candy to the research would be more effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users