- - - - -

Calorie Restriction Featured on CBC

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:59 PM

As I was doing my morning workout and watching the news to catch up on the latest beheadings, the interminable dreary parade of insanity was briefly broken by a welcome respite in the form of yet another piece on caloric restriction. If nothing else, it is a clear indication of the growing furor in increaseing amount of research regarding the possibility of longer healthier life by this mechanism. It is wonderful to see some of the 'longevity meme' spilling, or rather, leaking, into the popular mindset.

The program features none other than Michael Rae, of the CR society. He had indicated to me on more than one occasion that he likes to keep a low profile [huh] ... Apparently the lure of the spotlight was too much.. actually from what I know of him it was more likely the opportunity to further the goal of healthy life-extension that wrought this compromise. If you happen to read this Michael.. congrats... risk in the public eye can be very unnerving.

Link: http://www.cbc.ca/st...h/calorie040513

Calorie-restriction devotees hungry for longer life
Last Updated Thu, 13 May 2004 14:24:43
CALGARY - Michael Rae is a member of a group that aims to gain nutrition from the fewest calories possible in order to live a longer, healthier life.

Posted Image
Michael Rae

The 33-year-old from Calgary, who belongs to the Calorie Restriction Society, believes that by limiting his daily food intake to near starvation levels, he could live well into the next century – at least.

"It's hard to predict what future science is going to bring, but a couple of centuries – three centuries – would make me a real happy guy," said Rae.

Recent research suggests Rae and fellow members of the society may be on to something. Studies on mice and other animals show that cutting back calories by about 30 per cent improves metabolism and lowers the risk of heart disease and diabetes.

"The animal evidence is the more extended your youthful period is – the more extended your health is – the longer your ultimate lifespan will be," said Rae.

He also commits much of his time to extending life, reading the latest medical studies and learning about metabolism, nutrition and their role in aging.

At six-feet tall and 115 pounds, Rae takes supplements every day to ensure he's getting proper nutrition.

There is no proof such an approach to eating extends life in humans, but a recent study of 1,800 people on calorie-reduced diets showed extremely low cholesterol levels and blood pressure readings equivalent to that of a 10-year-old.

Posted Image
Dr. David Jenkins

There are benefits to cutting back on calories, but not to extremes, according to Dr. David Jenkins, the Canada research chair in nutrition and metabolism at the University of Toronto.

"I think this advice is really aimed at those of us who tend to want the second helping," said Jenkins.

Rae and other members of his group are participating in a human study on calorie restriction.

Devotees of calorie restriction make a huge commitment, living with hunger and limited food choices. Many researchers point out even with the promise of long life, few North Americans will embrace the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users