• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Why do teenagers have such fat faces now?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:19 AM

It has been exactly 10 years since I turned 15 years of age. I do not seem to recall my peers looking as fat faced as half the teenagers who add me on myspace day after day. Specifically the mid-cheek region. They have balls that are reminiscent, literally, of cabbage patch kids, regardless of whether or not their bodies are fat. I look at pictures of myself when I was 15-16 and many of my friends and I do not see the same chubby cheek pattern that exists in todays 15-16 year olds. It is one thing to be full faced but this is much more than just having a full face, it is extremely disturbing fat facedness. What's more is people are beginning to think extremely chubby faces are sexy for some reason. So, what happened in the past 10 years?
  • dislike x 5
  • like x 2

#2 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:33 AM

Lol... I know some people with "chubbY' faces like you described, but they are SLIM everywhere else. It kinda surprises me, as usualy if a face shows the signs of fat accumulation it means a person has a tendency to be overweight.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

Lol... I know some people with "chubbY' faces like you described, but they are SLIM everywhere else. It kinda surprises me, as usualy if a face shows the signs of fat accumulation it means a person has a tendency to be overweight.

Yes but I have seen 15 year old girls who have very slim downed bodies yet their faces are like balloons, especially when they smile, they get these huge cheek balls. I know teenagers are suppose to have full faces but I remember having SOME bone structure even when I was 15. These girls have absolutely NO bone structure at all. How is no bone structure considered sexy? Anyone else want to chime in?
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:44 AM

Higher levels of cortisol, perhaps.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:58 AM

Higher levels of cortisol, perhaps.

With regard to why there is more facial chub or why people think it is sexy? Doesn't Cortisol reduce collagen production?

Edited by TheFountain, 22 December 2009 - 02:01 AM.

#6 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:08 AM

It is probably because they are fat or skinny fat AKA bad body composition. To have a lean face, you ideally want a low bodyfat percentage. If you are already low weight, that means most of your mass should be muscle. Kids today have low activity levels, so they have low muscle.
  • like x 3

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

It is probably because they are fat or skinny fat AKA bad body composition. To have a lean face, you ideally want a low bodyfat percentage. If you are already low weight, that means most of your mass should be muscle. Kids today have low activity levels, so they have low muscle.

So in other words, kaylacorruption has a cabbage patch face despite her skinny body because, although she is only 110 pounds at 5'5 she still has 20% body fat?

*wonders how it all ends up in her face, as opposed to the rest of her body*

#8 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:39 AM

Yah i've seen this quite a lot. One girl i knew started eating healthy (from my advice) now she lost that excess fat on the face and looks far better (even though she was already quite slim). It's just about diet!

#9 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:02 AM

Yah i've seen this quite a lot. One girl i knew started eating healthy (from my advice) now she lost that excess fat on the face and looks far better (even though she was already quite slim). It's just about diet!

I have a suspicion that this must be a diet, as that's really strange. Maybe there's an accumulation of water or something..

#10 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:06 AM

1. High Cortisol, undiagnosed Cushing's

2. Estrogen levels from BPA (plastics, improper microwaving), soy products (I can't believe it's not Butter, soy sauce, soy milk)

I can't think of anything else.
  • like x 1

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:37 AM

I can't help but think this is related to my observation of young girls who are otherwise reasonably thin but have fat stomachs. At a local store that caters to tween females, even the f'ing mannequins have fat stomachs. I think it's a body composition problem because the little oinkers have such crappy diets. If they were cushingoid, you would also see fat all around the upper torso, which I'm not seeing in my extensive ongoing survey of teenage girls' bodies, so that's an argument against steroid hormones/mimetics.
  • like x 2

#12 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

2. Estrogen levels from BPA (plastics, improper microwaving), soy products (I can't believe it's not Butter, soy sauce, soy milk)

How does estrogen contribute to a fatter face? I use to eat lots of soy and felt it made my face thinner than it did fatter, but I was also 10% body fat at the time and am a male so it could be the differing effect of soy on females. Another thought I have had is hormones in animal meat. Maybe they changed something in the past 10 years, added more of a particular hormone or changed the type of hormones they use.

#13 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

Unfortunately there is a trend going on where being slightly over weight and/or fat faced is seen as healthy and 'sexy' whereas having low body fat and bone structure in the face is seen as 'sickly' looking. I have absolutely no idea when this happened but when I was 15-16 it was the complete opposite. How could so much have changed in the past 10 years? Was it the media trying to make fat people feel sexy thus indoctrinating many people into their 'fat is sexy' campaign?
  • dislike x 1

#14 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

I can't help but think this is related to my observation of young girls who are otherwise reasonably thin but have fat stomachs. At a local store that caters to tween females, even the f'ing mannequins have fat stomachs. I think it's a body composition problem because the little oinkers have such crappy diets. If they were cushingoid, you would also see fat all around the upper torso, which I'm not seeing in my extensive ongoing survey of teenage girls' bodies, so that's an argument against steroid hormones/mimetics.

I noticed many of them having more fat in the mid section as well. It is very strange looking in terms of bodily symmetry. But what I do not comprehend still is why people think it is sexy for these girls to have so much body fat. I would estimate half of them at 25-30% body fat. Also, the fat facedness makes them all look alike. How could lack of unique facial structure be considered attractive? The standards of attractiveness have gone down hill in the past 10 years.

Edited by TheFountain, 22 December 2009 - 09:57 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#15 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

So in other words, kaylacorruption has a cabbage patch face despite her skinny body because, although she is only 110 pounds at 5'5 she still has 20% body fat?

I had to Google kaylacorruption, but yeah, ..fat face or not, you should really stop e-stalking teens. :)
IMO, it mostly has to do with body composition. Obviously diet and inactivity contribute to that.

Not everyone can look like a young Cristina Scabbia :) The world has to have some ugly to appreciate the beauty.

Edited by Skotkonung, 22 December 2009 - 10:16 AM.

• like x 1

#16 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

It has been exactly 10 years since I turned 15 years of age.

Exactly?  Why then, Happy Birthday, TheFountain.  :)

I do not seem to recall my peers looking as fat faced as half the teenagers who add me on myspace day after day. Specifically the mid-cheek region. They have balls that are reminiscent, literally, of cabbage patch kids, regardless of whether or not their bodies are fat. I look at pictures of myself when I was 15-16 and many of my friends and I do not see the same chubby cheek pattern that exists in todays 15-16 year olds. It is one thing to be full faced but this is much more than just having a full face, it is extremely disturbing fat facedness. What's more is people are beginning to think extremely chubby faces are sexy for some reason. So, what happened in the past 10 years?

You might look into Oriental Diagnosis for your answer.  Michio Kushi's book Your Face Never Lies (Avery, 1983) comes to mind.  According to theory all aspects of the face correspond to/mirror some specific part of the body's inner workings thereby facilitating medical diagnosis.  I checked this from the library years ago out of curiosity; don't remember anything offhand about chubby cheeks.  Sounds like "baby fat" to me, and not "sexy" to these eyes. Maybe it's a biological signal that while physically developed, the teen is not truly sexually mature in a broader sense, therefore off limits - a "safe" kind of sexy?

As an aside, I'm now using LRP's Anthelios fluide spf 30 AC (PPD 20).  Much better protection than the Glycolix and not irritating at all. Cosmetically acceptable even at the recommended rate of application.   

Regards, MK

Edited by Mia K., 22 December 2009 - 12:24 PM.

#17 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

Classic TheFountain thread, and no piXs yet? :-)
Well, 20 y/old Bill Kaulitz (google him) is pretty thin, and also his facial features resemble that. No hormone-polluted foodz inside his cheekbones, you'd think. But I'd say he just eats a 'normal' teenage diet, -- only very little. So maybe a combination of genetics and nutrition here.

Posted Image

#18 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

I had to Google kaylacorruption, but yeah, ..fat face or not, you should really stop e-stalking teens. :)

Um, they add me and comment my pictures calling me 'hot' and saying they wish to *blank* me and that they want me to *blank* them in the *blank* and such. I never add them. But thank you for your advice. Are you sure you don't frequent vampirefreaks.com yourself? I notice most men who give such advice usually have tendencies that way themselves which they are in denial about. hehehe ho ho ho!

Not everyone can look like a young Cristina Scabbia :) The world has to have some ugly to appreciate the beauty.

Yea but these cabbage patch faced girls aren't considered ugly, they are considered sexy for some peculiar reason.

Edited by TheFountain, 22 December 2009 - 01:14 PM.

#19 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

Sounds like "baby fat" to me, and not "sexy" to these eyes.

What I am saying is that, 10 years ago when I was 15 years old, teenagers did not seem to hang on to their 'baby fat' for as long as they do now.

Maybe it's a biological signal that while physically developed, the teen is not truly sexually mature in a broader sense, therefore off limits - a "safe" kind of sexy?

But they are having sex like fiends and many of them with guys alot older than they are. I have had several attempt this with me. I think adults idealize teenagers too much and think they are pure and innocent when they are the complete opposite. I am guessing it has been a longer longer for you than it has for me, since I was a teen merely 6 years ago. So maybe it is more difficult for people to remember what it is like the further away they are from teen-hood.

As an aside, I'm now using LRP's Anthelios fluide spf 30 AC (PPD 20). Much better protection than the Glycolix and not irritating at all. Cosmetically acceptable even at the recommended rate of application.

Regards, MK

Thank you for sharing. I have been trying Garner Solaire SPF50 for sensitive skin and I must say it is probably the best sunscreen I have ever used. Does the Anthelios match your complexion? I am pretty light so it has always been diffiicult to find one matching my tone.

#20 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Well, 20 y/old Bill Kaulitz (google him) is pretty thin, and also his facial features resemble that. No hormone-polluted foodz inside his cheekbones, you'd think. But I'd say he just eats a 'normal' teenage diet, -- only very little. So maybe a combination of genetics and nutrition here.

Posted Image

Well I didn't want to post pictures of half the girls who add me on myspace because it would be a violation of their privacy. And we all know most celebrity teens have personal trainers to keep the body fat low. But here is one cabbage patch face I can think of. She is, of course, talentless, but that is another conversation altogether.

Mind you she is 17 in this picture, yet she has the 'baby fat' of a 12 year old.

Posted Image

Edited by TheFountain, 22 December 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#21 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

I think she looks pretty O_o and I love some of her songs, but it's all about taste. You are just too old :)

It's mostly estrogen levels and type of estrogen I think, that puts fat in those places... or water.
I think it happens mostly because of birth control pills, they can make you bloat... @@.. then again the alternative is not better at times..

This discussion is kinda pointless, like most of your discussions "Why do most people like those things I hate? stupid world!".. date someone else. Realize you are hating what most of the world likes and realize that I am not insulting you by saying that so don't bother with the personal attacks on me again.

Edited by Luna, 22 December 2009 - 01:43 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#22 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

I think she looks pretty O_o and I love some of her songs, but it's all about taste. You are just too old :)

No, I listen to REAL youth music, not industry created garbage like Miley Cyrus. Here is a taste of REAL youth music.

It's mostly estrogen levels and type of estrogen I think, that puts fat in those places... or water.

hmm I am not sure about that. Because when I was 15 I consumed lots of Tofu. But then I am a male, but still I did not anecdotally notice fat faces amongst my peers.

This discussion is kinda pointless, like most of your discussions "Why do most people like those things I hate? stupid world!".. date someone else.

No idea what this is about, perhaps our MSN discussions? But I am happy with the girl I am dating, she is intelligent, forgiving, beautiful and she does NOT have a cabbage patch face!

Realize you are hating what most of the world likes and realize that I am not insulting you by saying that so don't bother with the personal attacks on me again.

Personal attacks? No idea what this is referring to. Now in terms of what 'most people like'. I hardly think so. The reason for this is two-fold. There are over 6 billion people on this planet, many of whom still live in places where there is no media, therefor no miley cyrus. I hardly think she has sold anywhere near 6 billion records. And secondly most people do not know what they like. They are led along like sheep to the knife and basically beg for entertainment when they are too lazy minded to entertain themselves. They are typically bored with their lives and thus seek momentary amusement outside themselves. They eventually always become bored with these external forms of amusement as well. Simply put, when people use their brain, they are less prone to boredom and the need to know what is happening with talentness people like Miley Cyrus, because they are typically too busy entertaining themselves with their own creativity. If you honestly think 'most people like' miley cyrus I suggest you take a look at the hundreds, if not thousands of videos on youtube mocking her and her father thus revealing the complete opposite of your assertion. If on the other hand you are referring to cabbage patch faces, you are also mistaken. I asked a question. Why has the perception of what is 'sexy' changed so much in the past 10 years and why are chubby girls considered sexy and thin girls considered sickly looking? Again, I reduce it to media influence on the weak minded.

Edited by TheFountain, 22 December 2009 - 02:30 PM.

• dislike x 1

#23 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

uote]
Posted Image

I mean seriously, wtf gives? Just picture this with long wavy hair.

Posted Image

Edited by TheFountain, 22 December 2009 - 02:50 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#24 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

"youth music" whatever.. I wonder how their vocal colds are going to look after few years of singing words which are beyond most of people's understanding.

Tofu won't raise your estrogen enough. And fine, keep dating your gf, stop hanging around with people you don't like and realize they are there and that's it.

Too lazy minded people? can't entertain themselves? bored with their lives? funny, that's usually what people say on the type of song you have just posted. Creativity? what creativity in that, trying to sound like monkey? O_o
I wouldn't call her untalented, she hits the notes, that's her part when it comes to music, who writes the songs? who likes them? that's another part. People mocking her apparently don't have anything better to do and result in poor mocking and personal attacks at other people, they should use their brain and fine better ways (maybe more peaceful too?) of entertainment. It does not benefit anyone attacking others.

See how you post photos to personally attack Miley, just let her be. Go hang out with your girlfriend and super intelligent friends instead. Maybe you can move to another planet and breed super intelligent people there :)

As for the perception of sexy, have you seen old paintings of the perfect women with huge hips and a lot of body fat, compared to today's thin hourglass figure? whoops! then again, why would people like fat people? because almost everyone is fat, it's the norm.

I like this song of Miley Cyrus, it has words which are possible to understand and meanings behind them too.

off topic, I love this song too:

and almost all of phantom of the opera songs :D
:)
  • dislike x 2

#25 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

"youth music" whatever.. I wonder how their vocal colds are going to look after few years of singing words which are beyond most of people's understanding.

Well in art there are sometimes sacrifices. But my point was that Miley Cyrus's music sounds like that of a 50 year old country singer. So it is way less youthful than most youth music, which is why many younger people dislike her.

Tofu won't raise your estrogen enough. And fine, keep dating your gf, stop hanging around with people you don't like and realize they are there and that's it.

The anecdotal evidence states otherwise. Otherwise I do not think soy isoflavones would be able to stunt hair loss caused by hormone imbalances.

I wouldn't call her untalented, she hits the notes,

Millions of people hit the notes.

People mocking her apparently don't have anything better to do and result in poor mocking and personal attacks at other people,

No, people mocking her realize that she is a talentless nobody who has no right to be as famous as she is. But it's not just her. People are just becoming increasingly aware of how many celebrities are talentless nobodies who the media produces. On the subject of chubby faced teen celebrities again, we have Selena Gomez here. Another talentless nobody. This is a comparison shot between her and Miley.
Posted Image

they should use their brain and fine better ways (maybe more peaceful too?) of entertainment. It does not benefit anyone attacking others.

It does when the person you are attacking has absolutely no reason for being famous.

See how you post photos to personally attack Miley,

No, I am more worried about the cabbage patch babies feelings actually, having been compared to Miley.

just let her be.

Oh poor Miley. There are starving children in the world and oh gosh, poor Miley...

As for the perception of sexy, have you seen old paintings of the perfect women with huge hips and a lot of body fat,

Yes, but they didn't have cabbage patch faces.

compared to today's thin hourglass figure? whoops! then again, why would people like fat people? because almost everyone is fat, it's the norm.

But instinctively in terms of evolutionary biomechanics, fat was seen as a bad thing.

I like this song of Miley Cyrus, it has words which are possible to understand and meanings behind them too.

Sounds like Manufactured country pop.

off topic, I love this song too:

Well at least that's better than Miley.

and almost all of phantom of the opera songs :D
:)

Phantom of the Opera is good.

Edited by TheFountain, 22 December 2009 - 03:24 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#26 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:27 PM

Not it does not help you to personally attack her, many people love her, jsut because you and maybe many other people hate her doesn't mean it should ruin the fun for the other many people.

Go do your stuff
  • dislike x 1

#27 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

Not it does not help you to personally attack her, many people love her, jsut because you and maybe many other people hate her doesn't mean it should ruin the fun for the other many people.

People are addressing an issue when they 'attack' her. That issue is, celebrity worship that has no basis.

Go do your stuff

Thank you, I hope you get some exercise as well today. It is invigorating.
  • dislike x 1

#28 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

People are addressing an issue when they 'attack' her. That issue is, celebrity worship that has no basis.

Go do your stuff

Thank you, I hope you get some exercise as well today. It is invigorating.

@@ an issue?

Trust me I do not like that song or band you posted, many other people don't. I don't think it is an issue and don't care to attack actively them just because I don't like them. Do be sure many people "worship" them too.
Many people "worship" Miley, many people "worship" Metallica or whatever and according to you - many people love/prefer and probably worship then, that band you posted.

So Many people, versus Many people = shut up and stop this stupid religious/crusade/whatever and upgrade yourself to modern society.

#29 mcriot29

• 41 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

Posted Image

Well I didn't want to post pictures of half the girls who add me on myspace because it would be a violation of their privacy. And we all know most celebrity teens have personal trainers to keep the body fat low. But here is one cabbage patch face I can think of. She is, of course, talentless, but that is another conversation altogether.

Mind you she is 17 in this picture, yet she has the 'baby fat' of a 12 year old.

Posted Image

hey thats a easy one to answer the teens from 14 up now are all on the pill and it causes that fat face bloated look your on about esp when a teen

#30 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

Fountain that sure was some crap music there....lol
I've never understood how people like that screaming that sounds like metal on speed.
Listen to some real metal like Queensryche, Priest, Maiden, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users