Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ortho-Core And what else?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

I have come to the decision, that since ortho-core has so much in it and that the ingredients list precludes absorption conflicts I may simplify my regimen for cost purposes and reduce it to OC+a few additional supplements. The question then is, what else besides Ortho-Core does one need? Please give input or opinions on this. Here is what I have devised so far. Besides Ortho-Core other essential supplements include.

Resveratrol (for cardiac support)
Iodine (for thyroid support)
Biosil (for hair and nail support)
Curcumin (for anti-inflammation support)
Hyaluranic acid (for joint/collegen support)
Benfotiamine (for anti-glycation support)
Fish Oil (cholesterol support)
Saint Johns wort (moon support)
Melatonin (sleep support)

Assuming that Ortho-Core has things in it for liver support (R-lipoic acid), other blood sugar supplements, the best anti-oxidants (coq10) and about the best mineral combination you can ask for, I assume I can pretty much drop all other supplements from my regimen and scale it back to Ortho-Core and the ones mentioned above. Thoughts?

Edited by TheFountain, 23 December 2009 - 01:39 PM.

#2 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

Oh I forgot to mention Saw Palmetto as a DHT inhibitor.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 numbered

• Guest, F@H
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

Oh I forgot to mention Saw Palmetto as a DHT inhibitor.

why use a DHT inhibitor?

how about adding carnosine?

#4 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

why use a DHT inhibitor?

Because DHT has been implicated in many long-term health issues, such as prostate enlargement and also hair loss and bone growth.

Well I already have an anti-glycation supp on the list, and it is much cheaper than carnosine. Plus I do believe Ortho Core includes some blood sugar supps, such as R-lipoic acid.

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

I have come to the decision, that since ortho-core has so much in it and that the ingredients list precludes absorption conflicts I may simplify my regimen for cost purposes and reduce it to OC+a few additional supplements. The question then is, what else besides Ortho-Core does one need? Please give input or opinions on this. Here is what I have devised so far. Besides Ortho-Core other essential supplements include.

Assuming that Ortho-Core has things in it for liver support (R-lipoic acid), other blood sugar supplements, the best anti-oxidants (coq10) and about the best mineral combination you can ask for, I assume I can pretty much drop all other supplements from my regimen and scale it back to Ortho-Core and the ones mentioned above. Thoughts?

I listed curcumin twice. What a retard I am.

#6 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

Yeah it's a good thing you can't edit your post, isn't it?

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

Because DHT has been implicated in many long-term health issues, such as prostate enlargement and also hair loss and bone growth.

this is a flawed way of thinking... youre treating a problem that doesnt exist (from what i can tell). healthy DHT levels are very much necessary and messing with them can cause a type of chemical castration. i've heard of people never recovering from SP use... there are much better supplements for this if you actually do have a problem.

#8 numbered

• Guest, F@H
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

why use a DHT inhibitor?

Well I already have an anti-glycation supp on the list, and it is much cheaper than carnosine. Plus I do believe Ortho Core includes some blood sugar supps, such as R-lipoic acid.

i c. But hair loss aint a health issue. More of an aesthetic one . you should look into finasteride . its way more studied than saw palmetto. or dutasteride . potent DHT inhibitors. But maybe you dont need them at all if you dont have family history of prostate enlargement or hairloss or both. dunno . ill research more . ortho core's r lipoic content is low for my liking .

#9 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

Yeah it's a good thing you can't edit your post, isn't it?

I had reached the edit deadline.

#10 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

this is a flawed way of thinking... youre treating a problem that doesnt exist (from what i can tell). healthy DHT levels are very much necessary and messing with them can cause a type of chemical castration. i've heard of people never recovering from SP use... there are much better supplements for this if you actually do have a problem.

When weighing it with the other possibility, I.E MPD and benign hyperplasia and potential prostate cancer, I think I will opt for the former. Besides isn't what you are talking about only possible on uber high doses? Are you suggesting anything specific in its stead? Soy Isoflavones perhaps?

#11 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

why use a DHT inhibitor?

i c. But hair loss aint a health issue. More of an aesthetic one . you should look into finasteride . its way more studied than saw palmetto. or dutasteride . potent DHT inhibitors. But maybe you dont need them at all if you dont have family history of prostate enlargement or hairloss or both. dunno . ill research more . ortho core's r lipoic content is low for my liking .

I do not currently have an issue with hair loss, but you seem to have ignored the other purposes for using a DHT inhibitor. Now in terms of OCs lipoic acid content, I assume it is at least adequate to get glutathione levels up.

Edited by TheFountain, 23 December 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#12 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

Who else only takes Ortho-Core plus a few extra supps?

#13 3VeRL0ng

• 66 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

Besides Ortho-Core other essential supplements include.

But doesn't Resv. already come with Ortho-Core?

#14 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

Yes but it is a very paltry dosage. I like to take between 500 and 1000 mgs.

Edited by TheFountain, 24 December 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#15 3VeRL0ng

• 66 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

Yes but it is a very paltry dosage. I like to take between 500 and 1000 mgs.

Gotcha. I understand how it used to contain a certain amt. of Lithium Orotate, but no longer. And because it's an essential mineral, perhaps that could be added as well.

#16 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

I might actually try the carnosine for a month or two and see what, if any, the noticeable effects are. I mean if it makes my skin look nice that would be a benefit that would justify me sticking to it.

#17 Cappa

• 66 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

why use a DHT inhibitor?

Finasteride use has caused persistent hormonal problems for many people (many don't seem to ever recover). I would avoid anything that directly interferes with DHT.

#18 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

Does anybody know if it is best to take Ortho-Core in divided doses? The recommended daily intake is 6 capsules. What if I take 3 with breakfast and 3 with lunch? Would this improve or disrupt the effect of each ingredient? Or is it better to take it in one 6 cap dose in the morning? Opinions on this please?

#19 TigerMask

• 147 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

It's probably not a good idea to take all 6. Splitting them up is a good idea, but taking all 6 (even split up throughout the day) may be unnecessary. Anyway, wait for someone else to weigh in on this.

#20 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

It's probably not a good idea to take all 6. Splitting them up is a good idea, but taking all 6 (even split up throughout the day) may be unnecessary. Anyway, wait for someone else to weigh in on this.

I take two a day, usually.

#21 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:16 AM

Does anybody know if it is best to take Ortho-Core in divided doses? The recommended daily intake is 6 capsules. What if I take 3 with breakfast and 3 with lunch? Would this improve or disrupt the effect of each ingredient? Or is it better to take it in one 6 cap dose in the morning? Opinions on this please?

I was actually asking this question a few months ago. Most of the responses were against taking all 6 capsules- which wasn't even my original question- is it more or less effective to take divided doses of Ortho Core?

The answer is that you don't really need 6. So just take half once a day.

#22 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:35 AM

is there any basis for people saying not to take the entire 6? I assume for certain ingredients, such as coenzyme Q10 and r-lipoic acid to have a full effect you'd want to take the entire 6? I mean these supplements seem to be in moderate doses here, so it makes sense to take all 6. But I want to hear a decent analysis of this from a scientific stand point.

Edited by TheFountain, 05 January 2010 - 05:37 AM.

#23 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

I would add:
Extra D3
Extra K2 (MK7)
Magnesium
Pomegranate extract
Green tea extract

#24 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

I would add:
Extra D3
Extra K2 (MK7)
Magnesium
Pomegranate extract
Green tea extract

Ortho Core has Pomegranate extract and green tea. But I agree about extra D3 and K2 however I have been reading alot of posts in which people are saying to only take half doses and/or 4 or less. Then they say just take the extra supplements if you want more. Doesn't this defeat the freaking purpose of the formulation? Why would I take half a dose only to need more R-lipoic acid, iodine or COQ10? I might as well not even buy the freaking ortho core then and just go with a bunch of separate supplements. No! I say take all 6!

#25 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

? Why would I take half a dose only to need more R-lipoic acid, iodine or COQ10? I might as well not even buy the freaking ortho core then and just go with a bunch of separate supplements. No! I say take all 6!

You may be better off just taking separate supplements. Or better yet, getting vits/minerals from food. The concept of taking a partial dose of a multi, or Core, is to fix minor nutritional deficiencies. But most people tend to eat food too... so... they don't really need full doses of every vitamin/mineral. A couple of things in Core would bother me at full doses, such as folic acid.

One question to ask is, why do you need CoQ10? If you need CoQ10, just take it separately at a proper dose. The extras in Core, such as green tea, pom, CoQ10, etc, are pretty low doses, even when taking 6 caps daily. If you want them, I'd suggest just buying them separately.

#26 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

? Why would I take half a dose only to need more R-lipoic acid, iodine or COQ10? I might as well not even buy the freaking ortho core then and just go with a bunch of separate supplements. No! I say take all 6!

You may be better off just taking separate supplements. Or better yet, getting vits/minerals from food. The concept of taking a partial dose of a multi, or Core, is to fix minor nutritional deficiencies. But most people tend to eat food too... so... they don't really need full doses of every vitamin/mineral. A couple of things in Core would bother me at full doses, such as folic acid.

One question to ask is, why do you need CoQ10? If you need CoQ10, just take it separately at a proper dose. The extras in Core, such as green tea, pom, CoQ10, etc, are pretty low doses, even when taking 6 caps daily. If you want them, I'd suggest just buying them separately.

I think you know the usefulness of COQ10 as well as I do. I see no megadoses of anything really in Ortho Core. B vitamins are certainly not out of wack. The biotransformation complex seems adequate while not megadosing (n-acetylcysteine in particular). The way I see it is that daily dose of r-lipoic acid is in there so I don't have to go taking another extraneous supplement. This is all about convenience. One of the other reasons I opted to simplify my regimen is that I started feeling ill, presumably from all the fillers of the various pills I was taking daily (about 50 total). With this simplified regimen I am only taking about 10-15 pills daily including ortho core, thus my consumption of filler ingredients is lower. That's a plus to me.

#27 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

Folic acid could be a concern in Core. There was a thread around here from Michael regarding this, and I don't believe AOR has of yet converted to the active form of folate. They plan to, but seem to be taking their time going about it.

A multi doesn't have to have megadoses for a person to end up with too many vits from their supplement. For instance, if you eat vegetables (which I assume you do), you should be getting your daily beta carotene without supplementation. So why do you need 10,000IU from a supplement daily?

CoQ10 may be useful for certain conditions (I take it, for instance), but usually for those conditions you need larger doses than 30mg/daily. Again, if you want it, why not just take it separately? If you were feeling ill from your supplements, perhaps it was some of the supplements themselves, not the fillers?

Edited by nameless, 07 January 2010 - 07:37 PM.

#28 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:12 AM

Folic acid could be a concern in Core. There was a thread around here from Michael regarding this, and I don't believe AOR has of yet converted to the active form of folate. They plan to, but seem to be taking their time going about it.

A multi doesn't have to have megadoses for a person to end up with too many vits from their supplement. For instance, if you eat vegetables (which I assume you do), you should be getting your daily beta carotene without supplementation. So why do you need 10,000IU from a supplement daily?

CoQ10 may be useful for certain conditions (I take it, for instance), but usually for those conditions you need larger doses than 30mg/daily. Again, if you want it, why not just take it separately? If you were feeling ill from your supplements, perhaps it was some of the supplements themselves, not the fillers?

I am pretty positive it was not the supplements themselves and the sheer amount of pills I was taking. Both the capsules and their fillers I refer to here. The other aspect to it is absorption conflict. Ortho Core is formulated to have no such conflicts. Taking supplements separately can lead to some not being properly absorbed due to bad timing. Any supplements I would be taking extraneously to Ortho Core, such as the ones listed in the first post, would be taken at a separate point than OC itself to ensure I am getting the most out of both CORE and the extraneous supplements. We will see what further studies on folate yield. But for now I do not think it will cause immediate harm and as you said AOR will be changing the form soon.

#29 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:35 AM

I'd be willing to bet that it was not the fillers that were making you ill. If it was from the supplements, and that has not been established, it was almost surely the active ingredients, which may not have been the labeled ingredients, or it may have been breakdown products, or out and out contaminants. Regarding CoQ10, young healthy people don't generally need to supplement it. In a mouse study that looked at the effects of various supplements on longevity, CoQ10 was noticeably anti-longevity, at least at whatever dose they used. Take a full dose of Ortho Core if you want; it's your life. But I advise against it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#30 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

I'd be willing to bet that it was not the fillers that were making you ill. If it was from the supplements, and that has not been established, it was almost surely the active ingredients, which may not have been the labeled ingredients, or it may have been breakdown products, or out and out contaminants. Regarding CoQ10, young healthy people don't generally need to supplement it. In a mouse study that looked at the effects of various supplements on longevity, CoQ10 was noticeably anti-longevity, at least at whatever dose they used. Take a full dose of Ortho Core if you want; it's your life. But I advise against it.

Your concern is duly noted. I will experiment for a couple of months and see how I feel on this specific regimen. There are conflicting studies on many supplements all of us take, including, but not limited to glycation supplements, anti-oxidants and vitamins. It's a giant chemistry experiment. We are all gambling. But I think it is a good gamble. That said I feel better not taking the 50+pills I was taking before. Regarding COQ10 despite there being conflicting studies on it the amount provided in Ortho Core would not constitute a concern either way. Nor would the amount of NAC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users