Photo
* * * * * 21 votes

Ten months of research condensed - A total newbies guide to nootropics

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#181 Mishael

• 139 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

I would say a good start would be changing your routine, because that would alleviate the need for a bunch of those "quick fixes", and then you can just build on that...

Well im running out of time. I only got 2 weeks to sumbit my thesis and then 1 months for exam. I am now ready for another set of supplements to buy over to the uk. Since i don't think i got much from CDP or ALCAR, i planning in looking into the following;

DMAE
Hyperzine A
sulbutiamine
L theanine (for those nervy exams)

Can't think of anything else to aid in focus and alertness. Feel free to add or critique.

Nito

The body and the brain balance each other out. You need to stop studying and do something physical (equalize your mental and physical efforts) then YOU WILL notice how your brain picks up the material quicker and easier. Try it. It is easy and immediately effective.

#182 Vodka

• 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:23 AM

Tonight, after exercising, I stacked everything I had except aniracetam/piracetam. (to be exact: 500mg Cognizin Citicoline 1g Lion's Maine 1.5g Ginko Awareness (Bacopa) 1g Phosphatidl Serene Matrix 420mg Physphatidyl Choline) In my limited experience with drugs, I can best describe it as a longer-lasting caffeine without a lot of the cons such as feeling extremely wired or being tired afterward. I did a moderate amount of things, such as reading/studying, listening to music, light cardio, playing competitive games (kof98/Quake 3/etc) and the effects are subtle. I'll start further tweaking dosages and adding in aniracetam/piracetam as the week progresses.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#183 Vodka

• 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:43 AM

After week 1, I have to say I like the results. I admit that I haven't been following it regularly, but on the days that I have taken aniracetam+others, I seem to be doing academic-related things effortlessly and I'm having no problem sticking to it. I don't get the feeling good or perfect memorization effects other people have raved about, though. But, we'll see. Today I am going to add piracetam to my stack.

I've gotten this regimen from another post on another forum, I'll likely switch to this once my supply finishes as it is much cheaper:

Fish oil 4g/day
Vinpocetine 100mg (dose size including filllers)
Aniracetam 1.5g/day (I moved it back from 2.5g or so because I was having problem shuttind down at the end of the day)
Choline Bitartrate 500mg twice daily.
Alpha GPC 250mg

Edited by Vodka, 14 July 2010 - 02:48 AM.

#184 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

After week 1, I have to say I like the results. I admit that I haven't been following it regularly, but on the days that I have taken aniracetam+others, I seem to be doing academic-related things effortlessly and I'm having no problem sticking to it. I don't get the feeling good or perfect memorization effects other people have raved about, though. But, we'll see. Today I am going to add piracetam to my stack.

I've gotten this regimen from another post on another forum, I'll likely switch to this once my supply finishes as it is much cheaper:

Fish oil 4g/day
Vinpocetine 100mg (dose size including filllers)
Aniracetam 1.5g/day (I moved it back from 2.5g or so because I was having problem shuttind down at the end of the day)
Choline Bitartrate 500mg twice daily.
Alpha GPC 250mg

May I ask why you are taking two choline sources?

#185 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

How much actual vinpocetine are you taking? It's a cerebral vasodilator; I'm not sure if taking huge doses (say above 20mg?) is that healthy in the long term.

Edited by chrono, 14 July 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#186 Vixter

• 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

Greetings, All~

This has been a very intriguing thread; thanks everybody for posting here.

I did a search and received an error message, so I'll ask here. I haven't seen anything on oxiracetam on this forum, and while I was starting to purchase piracetam from Relentless Improvement, there was a suggestion on that page to try oxi instead. Has anybody used this in your stack? I only see pir and ani, and sometimes prami in this forum's threads. I was thinking of using oxi along with centro (in place of a choline--I eat plenty of eggs).

Any thoughts, here? If it matters, I'm 40 and having to study new subjects to help my older children. I will be tackling Trig, Calculus, Econ, and a couple of new languages. I want to stay a few steps ahead of them. I'm no spring chicken and need all the help and concentration I can get without "losing" my normal personality (except for the procrastination part; I'd like to lose that...). I'm not a lawyer or rocket scientist like the rest of you all, but I do have a lot to learn within the next several months.

Thanks!

P.S. Any substances which raise or enhance testosterone levels... not for me! A couple of the ones listed do that.

#187 Vixter

• 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

AH, as soon as I gave up on the search button here, I did a Yahoo search on my question and it took me right back to imminst. Been reading almost nonstop; think I'll get Primaforce piracetam and cdp choline from Amazon, and order centro from somewhere else. I'm going to see if alternating the two cholines do any good. Considering offering some to my "students" as it might save me a lot of extra work...

I do wish ALCAR didn't raise aldosterone levels. Looks good.

#188 glowso

• 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

Great thread, thanks @bmud for the original post.

I've been on and off a few things over the last year or so, however I've not found a "silver bullet." Thought I'd just share a couple items that I have found interesting in my experience:

I dabbled for the first time in nootropics with this stuff: http://www.brainvigo...Ingredients.htm -- I had interesting results. I am guessing that the dosages were too low (at least perhaps due to not knowing to attack dose on the piracetam when starting), however while taking this I did have regular vivid dreams which I NEVER have. I mainly attribute this to piracetam's ability to augment theta waves. I have always wanted to try aniracetam for the alpha/beta boost. I'm glad to hear of the likely synergistic effect.

As this was a seemingly very expensive supplement and not doing a whole lot, I tried tyrosine for a bit (around 1-4g per day) and I did indeed notice some focus and alertness augmentation, however it was again not significant enough to keep me on it.

I then played with a few other herbs and such and then kind of fizzled out.

I then realized that some mental/emotional stressors had built up on me for years and I recognized that my serotonin levels were depleted from simply studying symptoms. I was turned onto this from a study from the University of Pennsylvania regarding reversing ADHD evoked by sleep apnea, etc: http://www.scienceda...91026125401.htm

I did some searching about how to really properly address my likely issues of having too high PDE-4 levels and simultaneously working to increase my serotonin production levels. I found that kana (sceletium extract) works wonders as clean SSRI and PDE-4 inhibitor and I simultaneously started taking 5-HTP to increase serotonin production. Amazingly my depression levels balanced out and cognitive issues started to level out somewhat.

For some discussion of this you might refer to the following: http://www.mindandmu...showtopic=41913

So, getting some control over this now has led me to this forum in a reattempt to try a more proper attack on the nootropic front to hopefully boost me while getting my emotional system put back together.
  • like x 1

#189 Warrior

• 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:35 AM

One thing I haven't been able to find after endless hours f reading is... Why not take pyritinol and sulbutiamine together? also... In the nonresponder thread, both of the base b vitamins that these are based on are suspected to be helpful in non-responders if the issue is actually a deficiency of Aldosterone. However, the idea was never expanded on was using the more neurally available versions of them, specifically thiamine!

In this guide bmud appears to have long term success, an uses one or both. If the hypoaldosterone theory is accurate, and the thiamine treatment is accurate, it seems that the neuraloptimized thiamine is an excellent attempt especially before progesterone addition.

#190 Warrior

• 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:36 AM

Forgive my typos, I am writing from my cell phone.

#191 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hey Guys and Chrono,

I really need help here. I m getting very confused, for starters I am an un-augmented human meaning I have been essential drug free (am I redundant? maybe thats why these forums confuse the hell out of me i'm 23btw), AND I am poor (well trying to save money to be accurate). Everybody seems to be on these things which work out to be at least more than a 100 dollars per month.

On Piracetam : I don't understand why loads of people take it and consider it the grandfather of nootropics, if people seem to be unsure if it even works or not. The OP mentioned he didn't even think pracetam had enough of an effect until he tried Aniracetam.

On Budget and Trials : I am sort of happy with my intelligence without augmentation. I find great difficulty in study, and working, in the classic sense of ADD. I am very easily distracted and find myself avoiding things that need to be done, even if the task itself wouldn't be very mentally taxing. I am not good with languages and mathematics, and get brain fog often.

I would like something that doesn't cost very much, but would serve as a good trial. I am thinking at the moment of ALCAR trying with just Aniracetam. I eat a high meat low carbs diet. Basically I am looking for the absolute minimum on a cost basis, but at the same time I don't really want to miss out. I know different things work for.

Also this bacuda(spelling..) seems interesting, the sublinguanine (spelling) and the other option (spelling) sounds like it has tolerance + liver damage. Need urgent advice for the rest, as they all sound like various pathway supplements to me.

Also anyone tried DMAE? Whats your stack Chrono? Didn't you mention you had motivation/add issue as well, somwhere else on this forum.

I don't know what things I should watch out for, if you anyone could propose a really simple stack that be great.

What I have tried: Personally nothings really worked for me (I am 100% sure adderall would, but unfortunately its hard to get hold of in the UK).

Sadly caffeine and deprenyl (selegiline) are the only thing I can say that has worked. Ginko Bibloa seems to work as a caffeine alternative. L-Carnosine has really interesting, increased awareness of space and body (taken sublingually) I stopped it because I can't find any research of almost 1000mg taken sublingually + it wasn't really augmenting me anyways, more like making my hearing much better and able to multi-task better. I feel it has a come down, like caffeine and deprenyl.

I have tried numerous things here they are - ritalin (come down harsh again too hard to get in UK, not really a nootropic). Theanine (didn't do anything), Kava Kava or Valerian Root (for sleeping and anxiety, didn't do anything), B-Complex vitamins 50mg-100mg dosage (not notice any effect), Choline Bitartate (no effect), Vitamin C (seems to help when I feel ill), Zinc (definitely good).

Probably many more random stuff : Provigil make me just groggy awake, not really great. Benzos make me feel weak. Alcohol makes me feel ill (only once or twice has it been really fun). Tried Tyrosine and Phenylalanine (no difference experienced). 5-HTP (no effect) , Yomhimbe (had a small panic attack on 500mg) . Niacin (flush reaction, made me itchy not good). Manganese (random pains, stopped immedietely).

What I don't want: Apart from possibly Adderal (which I can't get hold of). What scares me is people taking like 10-20 different things and get all the effects confused, as we are judging from subjectively experiences. It is impossible to judge if its working in the background, etc etc. There are people taking SSRIs, with nootropics and amphetamines, as well as other novel drugs. This must have a huge impact on the brains functions to such a point, u don't even know whether its helping or ur just dependent etc etc.

I think this kind of being is unsustainable (maybe you guys will prove me wrong), but ramifications in terms not cost (since if you're rich 100-200 dollars a month is nothing), but the constant paranoia, of whats working or not, what tolerance is developing or not. Remembering dosing and dosage.

I am not chasing some kind of perfect high or mind, but nor do I want to spend money on stuff I honestly can't feel a effect. This is sort of my confusion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any advice, suggestions to my next step would be really helpful. I do honestly really need help getting myself off the ground. I screwed up studying and decisions bad (very early on 17 average score, but choose to go to a bad university and pointless degree for stupid reasons) thats why I am poor. Would really appreciate any help or guidance. Time, scales, dosages would be very helpful. I am 68kgish. Male cheers.

Thanks for reading.

#192 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

this should be stickied!

#193 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

@MajorLegend: Have you tried Magnesium, CDP-Choline, both are good for brain fog.

#194 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hey Major Legend, sorry I didn't see your post for so long!

Everybody seems to be on these things which work out to be at least more than a 100 dollars per month.

oh, DEFINITELY not. It does cost a little money to make an initial 'investment,' but right now my regimen is about 50c/day. 30c of that is fish oil. If cost is critical, look for bulk powders (Cerebral Health, Smart Powders, PureBulk, True Protein, Vitaspace, Beyond a Century, etc.).

On Piracetam : I don't understand why loads of people take it and consider it the grandfather of nootropics, if people seem to be unsure if it even works or not.

A very fair question. It's because it's like 50 years old, has hundreds of studies and a long record of safe usage, and is the prototypical nootropic substance: the word was invented for it, and it's non-toxic (at reasonable doses). But as you identify, the effects are very subtle, even if you do respond to it. For some people aniracetam does work better and have a more pronounced effect, but for others (like me) it's a very different effect, useful in different circumstances. Another reason many of us use it is that its subtlety lends it to combining well with other nootropics (in a "stack"). There are certainly more "advanced" substances, which may produce more of an effect, but they're usually more expensive, not as forgiving with dosage/safety, and with more variable reactions and possible side effects.

I am thinking at the moment of ALCAR trying with just Aniracetam. I eat a high meat low carbs diet. Basically I am looking for the absolute minimum on a cost basis, but at the same time I don't really want to miss out.

The combo I suggest as a good starting point, that myself and a few other people are enjoying pretty well right now, is piracetam + ALCAR. You can't get much cheaper than buying these in bulk, and piracetam might be off the market soon (except through overseas pharmacies), so you may want to get it while it's hot. ½ kilogram will last me 312 days; the same $30 buys you about 30g of aniracetam, which, depending on your reaction, will last somewhere between 20 and 60.

Whats your stack Chrono? Didn't you mention you had motivation/add issue as well, somwhere else on this forum.

The basis of my stack right now is piracetam and ALCAR; I've also been enjoying added aniracetam lately. I also have a half-dozen other cholinergics, dopamine precursors, and a few nootropic herbs I use "as needed," and which I'm still experimenting with. Maybe I'll get around to making myself a regimen thread, one of these days...maybe when I have

What scares me is people taking like 10-20 different things and get all the effects confused, as we are judging from subjectively experiences. It is impossible to judge if its working in the background, etc etc...I think this kind of being is unsustainable (maybe you guys will prove me wrong), but ramifications in terms not cost (since if you're rich 100-200 dollars a month is nothing), but the constant paranoia, of whats working or not, what tolerance is developing or not. Remembering dosing and dosage.

This is a good concern to keep in mind. It would be outrageously stupid to just start 10 things at once. But what most people here do is add things slowly, or experiment with them one at a time, and then see what effects they have in combination. Since this is such an experimental field, you really have to be willing to experiment, and part of that is reading up on what you're taking, too. So you have the subjective experiences, but also knowledge of mechanisms, to guide you in predicting what's going to go well together.

this should be stickied!

It's the first thread in the sticky. Maybe you should read the sticky before recommending what should be stickied? ;) Just joking.
  • like x 1

#195 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting 1/2 kilo quantities of Piracetam for $30?

#196 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

I'm about to start supplementing with Aniracetam.

My current stack:

Piracetam - 800mg 1-3x/day
ALCAR - 500mg 1x/day
AlphaGPC - 300mg 1x/day

The capsules I'm receiving are 750mg, but I've been reading posts on forums that say they use ~200-500mg per dosage. I was planning on mixing it with Piracetam, knowing full-well that Aniracetam is much more powerful. I was planning on just taking one dose of 750mg Aniracetam per day with the rest of my stack. Would this be too much 'racetam' ? I'm very good at handling the effects from drugs, and I swear by Piracetam.. I suppose that might matter for your answer.

#197 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

I'm about to start supplementing with Aniracetam.

My current stack:

Piracetam - 800mg 1-3x/day
ALCAR - 500mg 1x/day
AlphaGPC - 300mg 1x/day

The capsules I'm receiving are 750mg, but I've been reading posts on forums that say they use ~200-500mg per dosage. I was planning on mixing it with Piracetam, knowing full-well that Aniracetam is much more powerful. I was planning on just taking one dose of 750mg Aniracetam per day with the rest of my stack. Would this be too much 'racetam' ? I'm very good at handling the effects from drugs, and I swear by Piracetam.. I suppose that might matter for your answer.

Another question:

Apparently the FDA has banned -racetams. This leaves me worried, as I have two 60-capsule tubs of Piracetam and Aniracetam, and don't want to invest in bulk powder yet because I don't want to worry about expiration, don't have the money, and don't want to have so much of what I don't need. I was planning on finishing the -racetams that I currently have and then buying the bulk, is there a chance that it won't be available to me soon because of the ban?

Another question:

Among the long-term changes that ALCAR, Choline and Racetams make, I've become most intrigued by their ability to increase ACh receptors and transmitters in the brain. After discontinuing these supplements, are these changes sustainable? Do these receptors go unused because I'm not increasing the choline in my brain artificially through the administration of this stack? It would make sense that, if you use a -racetam or ALCAR for a year and they're supposed to increase the receptor density in your brain, these receptors would still be present when you stopped using the drugs.

Am I understanding these mechanisms wrong? I really would like to grasp the theoretical concepts of these drugs so I can feel a bit safer while using them, as they really aren't well understood in the long-term despite how long Piracetam has been around/used/tested.

#198 Jacovis

• 247 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:53 AM

http://www.scienceda...91026125401.htm

I did some searching about how to really properly address my likely issues of having too high PDE-4 levels and simultaneously working to increase my serotonin production levels. I found that kana (sceletium extract) works wonders as clean SSRI and PDE-4 inhibitor and I simultaneously started taking 5-HTP to increase serotonin production. Amazingly my depression levels balanced out and cognitive issues started to level out somewhat.

For some discussion of this you might refer to the following: http://www.mindandmu...showtopic=41913

Another option to consider for this issue might be the NADPH oxidase inhibitor, Apocynin. It would be really good if it were available in isolated form (it is a constituent of root extracts of the Himalayan medicinal herb Picrorhiza kurroa)...

http://www.wipo.int/...&DISPLAY=CLAIMS
(WO/2006/033965) NADPH OXIDASE INHIBITION PHARMACOTHERAPIES FOR OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA SYNDROME AND ITS ASSOCIATED MORBIDITIES

The Journal of Neuroscience, September 12, 2007, 27(37):10060-10071; doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0857-07.2007
Neurobiology of Disease
Selective Loss of Catecholaminergic Wake–Active Neurons in a Murine Sleep Apnea Model
Yan Zhu, Polina Fenik, Guanxia Zhan, Emilio Mazza, Max Kelz, Gary Aston-Jones, and Sigrid C. Veasey

The presence of refractory wake impairments in many individuals with severe sleep apnea led us to hypothesize that the hypoxia/reoxygenation events in sleep apnea permanently damage wake-active neurons. We now confirm that long-term exposure to hypoxia/reoxygenation in adult mice results in irreversible wake impairments. Functionality and injury were next assessed in major wake-active neural groups. Hypoxia/reoxygenation exposure for 8 weeks resulted in vacuolization in the perikarya and dendrites and markedly impaired c-fos activation response to enforced wakefulness in both noradrenergic locus ceruleus and dopaminergic ventral periaqueductal gray wake neurons. In contrast, cholinergic, histaminergic, orexinergic, and serotonergic wake neurons appeared unperturbed. Six month exposure to hypoxia/reoxygenation resulted in a 40% loss of catecholaminergic wake neurons. Having previously identified NADPH oxidase as a major contributor to wake impairments in hypoxia/reoxygenation, the role of NADPH oxidase in catecholaminergic vulnerability was next addressed. NADPH oxidase catalytic and cytosolic subunits were evident in catecholaminergic wake neurons, where hypoxia/reoxygenation resulted in translocation of p67phox to mitochondria, endoplasmic reticulum, and membranes. Treatment with a NADPH oxidase inhibitor, apocynin, throughout hypoxia/reoxygenation exposures conferred protection of catecholaminergic neurons. Collectively, these data show that select wake neurons, specifically the two catecholaminergic groups, can be rendered persistently impaired after long-term exposure to hypoxia/reoxygenation, modeling sleep apnea; wake impairments are irreversible; catecholaminergic neurons are lost; and neuronal NADPH oxidase contributes to this injury. It is anticipated that severe obstructive sleep apnea in humans destroys catecholaminergic wake neurons.

Key words: sleep; apnea; oxidative injury; noradrenergic; dopaminergic; wake; NADPH oxidase

Volume 11, Issue 2, Pages 205-212 (February 2010)
Apocynin attenuate spatial learning deficits and oxidative responses to intermittent hypoxia
Liu Hui-guo, Liu Kui, Zhou Yan-ning, Xu Yong-jian
Received 11 January 2009; received in revised form 8 May 2009; accepted 16 May 2009.

Abstract
Rationale: The long-term intermittent hypoxia (LTIH) that characterizes sleep-disordered breathing impairs spatial learning and increases oxidative stress in rodents. We hypothesized that LTIH activated brain NADPH oxidase, which served as a critical source of superoxide in the oxidation injury, and that apocynin might attenuate LTIH-induced spatial learning deficits by reducing LTIH-induced NADPH oxidase expression. Objective: To investigate the effects of apocynin on spatial learning and oxidative responses to LTIH in rats. Methods: Forty healthy male Sprague–Dawley (SD) rats were randomly divided into four groups of 10 each: a LTIH group, an apocynin-treated LTIH group, a sham LTIH group and an apocynin-treated sham group. Spatial learning in each group was assessed with the Morris water maze test. RT-PCR and Western blot were used to examine mRNA and protein expression of NADPH oxidase subunit p47phox and p22phox in the hippocampus region. The level of MDA and SOD were detected by colorimetric method. The terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated dUTP-nick end-labeling (TUNEL) method was used to display the apoptotic cells of the hippocampus tissue. Results: Apocynin treatment prevented LTIH-induced decreases in spatial learning during the Morris water maze as well as LTIH-induced decrease in SOD levels. In untreated animals, LTIH exposure was related to increase of MDA levels in comparison to sham LTIH animals, and apocynin-treated animal exposure to LTIH showed reduction in MDA levels. Increases in hippocampus NADPH oxidase subunit p47phox mRNA and protein expression were observed in LTIH-exposed animals; there was no statistical difference of p47phox mRNA and protein expression between LTIH group and apocynin treatment group. Treatment with apocynin significantly ameliorated cell apoptosis in LTIH-exposed animals. Conclusion: These results indicate that apocynin attenuates LTIH-induced spatial learning deficits and mitigates LTIH-induced oxidative stress through multiple beneficial effects on oxidant pathways. NADPH oxidase up-expression is closely associated with oxidative processes in LTIH rats, and inhibition of NADPH oxidase activity may hopefully serve as a useful strategy for cognitive function impairment from chronic intermittent hypoxia.

Keywords: Apocynin, Intermittent hypoxia, Spatial learning, NADPH oxidase, Oxidative stress, P22phox, P47phox

#199 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

this should be stickied!

It's the first thread in the sticky. Maybe you should read the sticky before recommending what should be stickied? ;) Just joking.

oh.

now if only the rest of the site was run by you :D

Edited by RighteousReason, 31 October 2010 - 03:16 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#200 zm3thod

• 143 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

@ Major Legend,

DMAE seemed to have no effect on me.

#201 Vindex

• 80 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

Just finished reading through the thread and found it to be an excellent introduction to nootropics. As I learned some interesting concepts, a lot of questions arose which I'll try to find answers to with lots of reading.

While I'd appreciate to fully understand how nootropics interact within the brain before actually using them, I reckon It'd most likely lead to analysis paralysis. So, I'd like to know the safety of these most common nootropics and dig further from there, both in knowledge and experimentation. By safety I mean general toxicity (apparently very low to non-existent, hence the term nootropic), oxidative stress, possible major trade-offs (e.g. better plasticity but less short-term memory) and hidden dangers. Can nootropics change one's personality? Are the effects reversible?

These may be silly questions, but I don't take lightly messing with my brain. On the other hand, I like the idea of potentiating my abilities and improving on my biology. Now this may seem contradictory but I've done a few things which I'm not proud of like smoking hashish (a few times) and the really uncomfortable experience of smoking salvia divinorum extract (once). Stupid thing to do, but apparently it's non-toxic. I only hope nothing changed in my neurochemistry/physiology. Main point is: should I fear anything from nootropics? (Apart from the obvious risks of taking too much and carelessly mixing different compounds)

I feel I could really benefit from some of the supposed benefits. Mainly mood enhacement, motivation, focus and energy. Better memory is always welcome and so is better cognition. If nootropics can help me get the most out of my time it would be great.

Will probably start with something like Piracetam, ALCAR, sulbutiamine, methylcobalamine, CDP-Choline, Rhodiola Rosea, Bacopa and Lion's mane (not necessarily all).

I'm not asking for you to do all the research for me, just to shed some light on theses questions, if possible :)

Thanks for your time :happy:

#202 Ewan

• 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

Hey guys, I'm from the UK. I was just wondering where you would recommend buying these drugs?

Cheers

#203 MacGregor

• 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:51 AM

A liitle sidetrack:
I switched from free-range milk to soya drink (in English soya milk?). I did this chiefly out of a ethical reason. For me, it tastes even beter than milk and the nutritional content is great.

Hey, soy is not so good for guys. It's an weak estrogen mimic, and potentially causes thyroid problems.

:~ Estrogen?!!! LOL.

Thanks for your concern, Rwac. I think that if you use it in normal amounts that these problems will be non-existent.

1 Free range milk is incredible for you.
2 Soy is horrible for you.
3 Ethical? Milking a cow is an ethical dilemma?

#204 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

3 Ethical? Milking a cow is an ethical dilemma?

Well, if one doesn't eats meat because one doesn't wants animals be killed - milking cows isn't really any better. For a cow to give milk it has to have calves. And male calves are usually killed.

Years ago I heard of one Hare-Krishna community which solved this dilemma by giving all those bulls free board and let them die of a natural death.. imagine

#205 calengineering

• 134 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

"Second, I am able to read vast quantities of information only one time and spit it back with pinpoint precision. It is the closest thing to a photographic memory I have ever experienced. The information is just there on command when needed. When I take practice tests most days I have nearly perfect recall and my only mistakes are analysis.

You can do this for yourself."

This post is seriously misleading newcomers into believing that nootropics will make significant improvements to their cognitive abilities, when in fact many of us here have not experienced the slightest improvements. Furthermore, the improvements that he/she states here is definitely not something I've heard of in months of reading here.
  • like x 1

#206 wiserd

• 108 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:36 AM

Methylcobalamin needs to be taken sublingually. I don't know if your B complex vitamin is sublingual or not.

Why? If a person has sufficient Intrinsic Factor and is otherwise healthy, B12 could be absorbed orally. B12 may need to be taken sublingually if a person is on certain medication or has a deficiency due to lack of IR or some other problem. But I'm not sure why that applies to everyone.

#207 Free_My_Mind

• 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hey guys, I'm from the UK. I was just wondering where you would recommend buying these drugs?

Cheers

Try http://www.nootropichub.co.uk/

#208 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:57 AM

Take them separately because the ALA and the ALCAR react together to form some kind of polymer like mush in your gut if you take them at the same time. Not good.

Source for this/more info?

#209 Vodka

• 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

I haven't replied in a while, but I just wanted to say I gradually just limited my stack (OP's) to just piracetam, aniracetam, choline and caffeine (and maybe ginseng) with no real differences. It more than halved my $133/mo spending. It's my fault for starting out with everything at once, but perhaps I'll go back to taking the lots of little things in some months.

Also, a tip: I found that taking a week off here and there can be good. It's not just the chemical effects, but also realizing how your body works (kinda) "sober."

Edited by Vodka, 23 January 2011 - 08:12 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#210 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

Methylcobalamin needs to be taken sublingually. I don't know if your B complex vitamin is sublingual or not.

Why? If a person has sufficient Intrinsic Factor and is otherwise healthy, B12 could be absorbed orally. B12 may need to be taken sublingually if a person is on certain medication or has a deficiency due to lack of IR or some other problem. But I'm not sure why that applies to everyone.

B-12 will be absorbed orally by most, but my experience is that when I swallow it, even in high doses, I don't notice it much. I like the methyl B-12, but any B12 I take, I notice it much more sublingually. I am pretty sure you get more in your system in general, but also you are getting a lot into the system immediately, which may be why I notice it much more sublingually. Whatever people's opinions are about it's oral absorbability, I challenge you to take it orally and notice it as much as sublingually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users