• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Google and Anti-Semitism

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jhansen

• 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:33 PM

Google’s #1 listing for more and more search terms is being captured by anti-Semitic and neo-Nazi web-sites.

In April 2004 the “jewwatch" incident was widely publicized. When Steve Weinstock entered the search term "Jew" on Google, the world's leading search engine, the openly anti-Jewish web-site http://www.jewwatch.info appeared as the very first listing!

Mr. Weinstock launched a campaign - at http://www.removejewwatch.com - to remove that site from the top spot. He initially succeeded, but the site soon regained the first position before again losing it. It appears to be an ongoing battle.

Since May 2004 Google's #1 listing for "Rabbi Jokes" shows neo-nazi Gary Lauck’s site http://www.nazi-lauck-nsdapao.com . The 20-language site has cartoon animations of leading Jewish figures, free nazi computer game downloads, holocaust denial books and the nazi film “The Eternal Jew”.

Internet activists are urged to cut-and-paste this announcement and insert it into forums.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:44 PM

Considering the fact that a recent poll indicated that Europeans think Israel is the number one threat to world peace, it is not surprising that anti-semitic websites are ranking number one. It is sad that some Europeans are still anti-semitic. Of course much of the hate may come from violent sects of muslims living in Europe.

Poll comments
Conservative comments about the poll
Anti-semitic violence in France
More news about the rise of anti-semitism in Europe

#3 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 06:34 AM

Hah, this is just a hate activist trying to increase the google ranking of these sites by posting links and encouraging us to propagate them.

#4 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:52 AM

nah I think he's legit, it's just troubling to see Jew watch at it again, I stumbled on that sight just doing a search on Jewish history. I've never seen such a wasteful and stupid site they all should live on an island reserved for people with delusions of grandeur. That site calls people Jewish who aren't even Jewish in the first place! And on top of that they make outrageous claims about Jewish celebrities taking over the world. I sent an email to them trying to be rational in attempts at discussion which some might say is terribly stupid, but I didn't care I wanted to see how deluded and ignorant they really were, of course no one replied!

• Lurker

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:45 AM

Considering the fact that a recent poll indicated that Europeans think Israel is the number one threat to world peace, it is not surprising that anti-semitic websites are ranking number one. It is sad that some Europeans are still anti-semitic. Of course much of the hate may come from violent sects of muslims living in Europe.

Poll comments
Conservative comments about the poll
Anti-semitic violence in France
More news about the rise of anti-semitism in Europe

I disagree highly, I know anti-semitism when I see it and jewwatch is clearly anti-semitic, especially it's forum. However I'd like to make it clear that associating Israel with a threat to world security should not by default label that person anti-semitic, there is a legitimate argument that the Israeli-Palestinian crisis and Israel's military actions do threaten the security in the muslim world and wider world as a whole, especially with the US having it's interests solidely with Israel.

To say that the Jewish race/religion as a generalized comment on the whole group is somehow involved in a conspiracy involving world dominance is absolutely ridiculuous and cannot be supported by any reasonable argument. This is often hinted to or directly stated as such by anti-semitic websites, there is a difference between that belief and European polls indicating that they believe Israel is a threat to world peace. I think Europeans still have fresh in their mind the ravages of WWII on their continent, on the Jews, and other racial groups. It's highly unlikely that they would be so brash as to bring a totally unwarranted anti-semitic swipe against the Jews who were among the worst ravaged by WWII. There is legitimacy in some criticism of Israel for it's political and military actions, they are not immune to world criticism despite the pain they suffered at the hands of others this last century, but caution in criticism has been the unwritten rule because it can sometimes be construed as anti-semitic.

My belief is that the religious and racial lines that divide humans are for the most part arbitrary, racial differences are not particularly large among the populations of the world. However in the context of this somewhat fictional difference between groups there is room for criticism.

edit: I should say I do believe that fringe anti-semitism in Europe is on the rise, but the polls reflect the majority of Europeans who are not anti-semtic, not just the fringe small group of anti-semitic Europeans.

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:12 PM

I disagree highly, I know anti-semitism when I see it and jewwatch is clearly anti-semitic, especially it's forum. However I'd like to make it clear that associating Israel with a threat to world security should not by default label that person anti-semitic, there is a legitimate argument that the Israeli-Palestinian crisis and Israel's military actions do threaten the security in the muslim world and wider world as a whole, especially with the US having it's interests solidely with Israel.

I understand and empathize with your point cosmos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users