Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

The Health Ranger is not your kemosabe!

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

Occasionally I check in on the Health Ranger, because, once in a blue moon, he does have something smart to say. But not this time. In one of his most recent articles he includes this:

Many people in the natural health arena need a better understanding of this: There are lots of things that are quite good for you in their unprocessed form. It's the processing that makes them bad for you.

For example:

Processed sugar cane is bad. Raw sugar cane is good.

Processed salt is bad. Unprocessed, full-spectrum sea salt is good.

Processed cow's milk is bad. Fresh, raw cow's milk is good.

Processed chocolate can be a junk food. Raw, natural cacao is a superfood!

Processed wheat is bad for you. Stone-ground whole wheat can be good for you.

Processed soy milk is bad. Natural, home-made soy milk is good.

Processed cheese is bad. Natural, home-made cheese is far less so.

Processed (canned) fruits are bad. Raw, fresh fruits are good for you.

I've bolded the two in which the Unhealthy Ranger makes critical blunders.

First, sugar is sugar. Raw sugar might have a phytonutrients in it, but that doesn't by any stretch make it "good" for humans. Anyway, I strongly suspect that the Health Ranger is not aware of the negative effects of fructose, which is why last year, he proclaimed on his site that agave is the most healthy of all natural sugars, in large part because it has a low GI value. Well, that's because agave is some 80 percent fructose. And yet, the "Health" Ranger recommends this!?!

Secondly, wheat, among grains, is perhaps the worst in terms of health. And it just doesn't matter if the wheat is processed or whole. The belief that whole grains are good is one that needs to reversed. It fooled me years ago too. It's still fooling the Health Ranger. Watch this to see how fast whole grain bread is converted to sugar:

More on Wheat.

#2 oehaut

• 393 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

lol. Classic (wrong) dietetian answers. I'm sure a balance diet in her mind is a 70% carbs diet-low-fat with, as she pointed out, mainly unsaturated fatty acid.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:36 PM

Duke, do you mind sharing what sources of fat (meat and oil) you recommend?

#4 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Duke, do you mind sharing what sources of fat (meat and oil) you recommend?

If possible, natural fed meats, versus grain fed meats. Same with eggs and dairy.

Generally, if your great great grandparents ate it, it's healthy. This is because the industrialized age of food really didn't kick in until the 1910's, 100 years ago, with the invention of Crisco, and then all the man-made foodstuffs that followed, including additives, processed oils, processed sweeteners, and the massive rise in cereal grain (especially wheat and corn) consumption versus authentic foods.

So, use lard and butter versus processed cooking oils, for example. If it's industrial processed food than didn't exist 100 years ago, most likely it's bad for you.

Edited by DukeNukem, 08 January 2010 - 12:37 AM.

#5 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

Generally, if your great great grandparents ate it, it's healthy.

My great great grandparents ate wheat bread as a staple.

#6 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

Funny the lone ranger (original): The one was Tonto, the other sounds suspiciously like "Quien no sabe". Intentional or not, it's perfect!

Edited by viveutvivas, 08 January 2010 - 12:50 AM.

#7 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:27 AM

So true.

#8 Ron

• 100 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

Also potatoes which are now verboten.

#9 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Dairy is one of the worst things you can eat Duke. How can you suggest people eat it regularly?

#10 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

That dude should call himself "The Health Danger", since he's an antivaxxer.

Edited by Shoe, 08 January 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#11 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

I agree -- his health information started out interesting but now I think he's just selling product and making sensational claims about BIG PHARMA and BIG GOVERNMENT. I've stopped reading him. The idea that we should eat mainly plant food is sound advice, though.

#12 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

I agree -- his health information started out interesting but now I think he's just selling product and making sensational claims about BIG PHARMA and BIG GOVERNMENT. I've stopped reading him. The idea that we should eat mainly plant food is sound advice, though.

Give me a break dude the FDA and the pharmaceutical industry are some of the worst handled organizations ever and you have this need to make people who question their methods look crazy? Why exactly? I mean this health ranger guy obviously makes ill founded statements but that is a completely separate affair from MANY MANY MANY peoples observations on how fucked up the FDA and pharmaceutical industry is. Just search the web, and even this very web site. More people than anybody can count know that vast improvement is needed. Stop trying to kill the messenger, it's pathetic.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

Stop trying to kill the messenger, it's pathetic.

The internet is full of conspiracy theorists and others making incredibly ignorant statements about Big Pharma and the FDA. If he's another one of those guys, then what does it say about his judgment? I'm aware of the problems with B.P. and the FDA, but c'mon, you can see the guy's got some important things wrong. How is what sthira said "killing the messenger"? How is it "pathetic"?

#14 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

The internet is full of conspiracy theorists and others making incredibly ignorant statements about Big Pharma and the FDA. If he's another one of those guys, then what does it say about his judgment? I'm aware of the problems with B.P. and the FDA, but c'mon, you can see the guy's got some important things wrong. How is what sthira said "killing the messenger"? How is it "pathetic"?

Because he is attacking the guy on the wrong basis. If anything attack him on the basis of making ill founded statements about sugar and things like that, but anyone pointing out the wrongful approach the pharmaceutical industry and FDA has to things should not be attacked for that reason. They should be thanked.

#15 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

This is hilarious! I had no idea Mike "The Health Ranger" Adams fancies himself a RAPPER!

"Don't Inject Me (the Swine Flu Vaccine Song) by the Health Ranger"

Edited by pycnogenol, 09 January 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#16 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

This is hilarious! I had no idea Mike "The Health Ranger" Adams fancies himself a RAPPER!

He has other songs, too -- all pretty darn good!

This is why, overall, I like the guy. His heart is in the right place. His diet advice misses the mark, though.

#17 frederickson

• 282 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

He has other songs, too -- all pretty darn good!

This is why, overall, I like the guy. His heart is in the right place. His diet advice misses the mark, though.

As I dig into my whole eggs and coconut oil breakfast, I also certainly disagree with the health ranger's dietary advice!

However, I do think Adams does us a great service with his natural research updates and accurate expositions into the misdoings of the drug industry, the FDA, and mainstream medicine as a whole. I look forward to his emails and aside from some of his dietary advice, I am on the same page as he is on nearly every health and policy-related issue. He does good work!

#18 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

The "health" ranger is just scum. Cashing in on cancer sufferers, just despicable. If there is something that is worse than worse, it is cancer quackery. There's nothing to add.

#19 NeverSayDie

• 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

The internet is full of conspiracy theorists and others making incredibly ignorant statements about Big Pharma and the FDA. If he's another one of those guys, then what does it say about his judgment? I'm aware of the problems with B.P. and the FDA, but c'mon, you can see the guy's got some important things wrong.

According to the Harris Poll (The Wall Street Journal Online/Harris Interactive Health Care Poll ), when asked the question, "Do respondents trust the pharmaceutical industry to do the right thing for the health case of those whom they have a responsibility for?", those that responded "yes" to this were at 9%.

I find it quite revealing that only 9% of people polled said that they trust the pharmaceutical companies. Those that have a lack of trust for the industry certainly don't seem to be a fringe minority, by any means.

http://pharmamkting....no-respect.html

Edited by NeverSayDie, 09 January 2010 - 08:46 PM.

#20 inkyoto

• 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:00 AM

The "health" ranger is just scum. Cashing in on cancer sufferers, just despicable. If there is something that is worse than worse, it is cancer quackery. There's nothing to add.

I would really appreciate your use of the language. Labelling someone a scum is a big and a very insulting statement. I have been following Mike the Heath Ranger news for many years, since the inception of his previous website, and even though I do not always agree with what he states and even though some of his recent statements occasionally do border on the edge of hysteria, he is still doing a great job on educating people. On the other hand, it just occurs to me that most of your statements that I have seen on this website so far are incomplete, full of arrogance, flame bait and direct and/or indirect personal insults. Which is not really helping. If you have something to say on the subject, please do so but otherwise can you please keep personal insults to yourself.

#21 zettiness

• 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

Oh really? And how exactly does he cash in on them?

Mike is one of the most dedicated and passionate health activists there are and although sometimes he might be pushing it too hard I'm sorry if you can't tell apart from a genuine person and a scum.

Edited by zettiness, 10 January 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#22 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

Mike is one of the most dedicated and passionate health activists there are and although sometimes he might be pushing it too hard I'm sorry if you can't tell apart from a genuine person and a scum.

He's an antivaxxer, which is a scientifically indefensible position. You should be very, very careful when listening to that man.

#23 zettiness

• 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:48 AM

Cheers Shoe, and I definitely am very careful about listening to anyone.
He is not too scientific in his conclusions that's true but his main guidelines about eating raw natural foods as well as not trusting the mainstream medicine are hardly disputable.

As about vaccinations I fully support him on the case of H1N1 besides vaccinations should never be mandatory.

Edited by zettiness, 11 January 2010 - 03:52 AM.

#24 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:55 AM

As about vaccinations I fully support him on the case of H1N1 besides vaccinations should never be mandatory.

Yeah, having all the idiots who are too stupid to get vaccinations die of polio will only clean out the gene pool and increase the average intelligence quotient.

#25 inkyoto

• 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, having all the idiots who are too stupid to get vaccinations die of polio will only clean out the gene pool and increase the average intelligence quotient.

My long time friend's niece was vaccinated at a tender age of 5 or 6 years old from polio, and the vaccination went completely awry. She developed a mild case of polio and has become disabled for the rest of her life. Because we were growing up alongside, I was able to witness some of the real life challenges and dramas that came along and it was a pretty sad sight. Fortunately for her, the mild polio did not complicate the brain development and she is fine wrt to that, although her personal and social life is now very much complicated.

I generally side with vaccinations and think that the mandatory vaccinations (against pox, etc) are a good thing. But I am not entirely sure about the rest of them, and some of them are an open question for me, personally. For example, the Hep B vaccination consists of a series of three shots in the upper arm, and part of the shot is the aluminium powder (fine particles). Aluminium powder is added to the Hep B shot to provoke a violent response from the immune system so it would be able clear out the infection and train itself to recognise the virus. For all I know, the current evidence states pretty clear that any amount of aluminium is very harmful for the body. For the time being I have chosen to forgo the vaccination but if travelling to South East Asia resurfaces again any time soon, I might have to reconsider it.

Edited by inkyoto, 11 January 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#26 NeverSayDie

• 135 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

Wow...social darwinism, anyone?

Sounds like you would be a fan of eugenics.

#27 NeverSayDie

• 135 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

My sister is a nurse out in California. She personally knows two people that developed Guillain-Barre syndrome after receiving their H1N1 vaccine.

#28 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

My long time friend's niece was vaccinated at a tender age of 5 or 6 years old from polio, and the vaccination went completely awry. She developed a mild case of polio and has become disabled for the rest of her life. Because we were growing up alongside, I was able to witness some of the real life challenges and dramas that came along and it was a pretty sad sight. Fortunately for her, the mild polio did not complicate the brain development and she is fine wrt to that, although her personal and social life is now very much complicated.

I generally side with vaccinations and think that the mandatory vaccinations (against pox, etc) are a good thing. But I am not entirely sure about the rest of them, and some of them are an open question for me, personally. For example, the Hep B vaccination consists of a series of three shots in the upper arm, and part of the shot is the aluminium powder (fine particles). Aluminium powder is added to the Hep B shot to provoke a violent response from the immune system so it would be able clear out the infection and train itself to recognise the virus. For all I know, the current evidence states pretty clear that any amount of aluminium is very harmful for the body. For the time being I have chosen to forgo the vaccination but if travelling to South East Asia resurfaces again any time soon, I might have to reconsider it.

Tragic as that may be, those vaccinations have prevented far more illness and saved far more lives than not. Otherwise, would you expect them to still be used? Before vaccinations, the death toll from these easily transmittable diseases was quite high. If we start forgoing vaccinations, we could see a resurgence of disease epidemic. I find it ironic, now that these vaccines have suppressed the occurrence of these illnesses, everyone is clamoring to stop taking them and go "natural."

How easily people forget...

Edited by Skotkonung, 11 January 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#29 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Wow...social darwinism, anyone?

Sounds like you would be a fan of eugenics.

If you're too stupid to practice preventative medicine and end up dieing before you can reproduce, you will only be improving the species. It's called natural selection. Enough said.

#30 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

My sister is a nurse out in California. She personally knows two people that developed Guillain-Barre syndrome after receiving their H1N1 vaccine.

That's odd, because according to the CDC, only about 1 in 100,000 (about 3,000 total) has a chance of contracting this disorder. Less people die from it each year as a result.

I bet there are more deaths from seat-belt and airbag malfunctions, but that doesn't mean I would drive around without either of those safety features.

Edited by Skotkonung, 11 January 2010 - 06:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users