• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

ALCAR and ALA - same time or different time?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

should you not take the two at the same time?

also, while i'm at it, any news on weather taking straight ALA (vs R-ALA) is that much inferior to R-ALA?

#2 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:56 AM

There is a huge amount of discussion on this forum about RALA vs ALA. Use the search function.

Split ALA and ALCAR apart (by say 30 minutes) as it seems to form some kind of polymer-like goo if you mix them together.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 csrpj

• Topic Starter
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

ok, i was going to order some cheap ALCAR+ALA (450mg, 150mg) pills, but now it turns out i should take them separately.... can anybody confirm this - that they shouldn't be taken together?

#4 UNCnate

• 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

should you not take the two at the same time?

also, while i'm at it, any news on weather taking straight ALA (vs R-ALA) is that much inferior to R-ALA?

R-ALA is vastly superior to ALA. With just ALA you are getting both entaniomers. The R-entaniomer is more effective, and it has been shown in some cases that the S-entaniomer can counteract the positive effects of the R.

#5 csrpj

• Topic Starter
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:45 AM

so if ALA is over twice as cheap as R-ALA, i should still think about buying the latter? any word on the timing of it with ALCAR?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 csrpj

• Topic Starter
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

found this from the linus pauling insitute http://lpi.oregonsta...r/othernuts/la/

R-LA is the isomer that is synthesized by plants and animals and functions as a cofactor for mitochondrial enzymes in its protein bound form (see Biological Activities). Direct comparisons of the bioavailability of oral racemic LA and R-LA supplements have not been published. After oral dosing with racemic LA, peak plasma concentrations of R-LA were found to be 40-50% higher than S-LA, suggesting R-LA is better absorbed than S-LA, but both isomers are rapidly metabolized and eliminated (12, 14, 15). In rats, R-LA was more effective than S-LA in enhancing insulin-stimulated glucose transport and metabolism in skeletal muscle (44), and R-LA was more effective than racemic LA and S-LA in preventing cataracts (71). However, virtually all of the published studies of LA supplementation in humans have used racemic LA. At present, it is not clear whether R-LA supplements are more effective than racemic LA supplements in humans.

also, if any word on combining ala w/ alcar being okay or bad... this is the fist time i heard that you specifically shouldn't take the two at the same time. is hamishim onto something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users