Photo
- - - - -

(Juice) fasting and nootropics?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 euewes

• 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:03 PM

I will be juice fasting for 2-3weeks to try to alleviate my noise-induced tinnitus that occurred 3 months ago and to detoxify the body in general. I have been on a normal juice fast for a couple of times before without problems. Now I would like to know how safe it is to take some nootropics to treat the tinnitus while fasting? I also need advice on how should I take them, with (fruit or vegetable)juice, herbal tea or without? All pills at the same time or separately?

I would be taking:

- Vinpocetine 10mg x1/day (maybe x2/day on some days)
- ALCAR 500mg x1/day (maybe x2/day on some days)
- NAC 600mg (maybe once or twice a week)

and also:

- Betaserc 24mg x2/day (betahistine, prescribed for tinnitus, I take one in the morning and one before going to sleep)
- Vitamin C 500mg-1g (on some days)
- Chlorella 1 teaspoon/day

Also I haven't found any information on possible interactions of vinpocetine, ALCAR and NAC with Betaserc, but I'd like to know if there possibly are any?

from Wikipedia:
Betahistine has a very strong affinity for histamine H3 receptors and a weak affinity for histamine H1 receptors. Betahistine seems to dilate the blood vessels within the middle ear which can relieve pressure from excess fluid and act on the smooth muscle.

The mode of action of betahistine was believed to be a direct stimulating (agonistic) effect on H1 receptors located on blood vessels in the inner ear. This would give rise to local vasodilation and increased permeability, which would help reverse the underlying problem of endolymphatic hydrops.

In addition, betahistine has a powerful antagonistic effects at H3 receptors, and increases the levels of neurotransmitters released from the nerve endings. This is thought to have two consequences;
The increased amounts of histamine released from histaminergic nerve endings can stimulate H1 receptors, thus augmenting the direct agonistic effects of betahistine on these receptors. This explains the potent vasodilatory effects of betahistine in the inner ear, which are well documented.
It is postulated that betahistine increases the levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin in the brainstem, which inhibits the activity of vestibular nuclei.

Suggestions of amounts to take these or other supplements to add are also welcome.. :)

#2 Shay

• 54 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

I don't know anything about nootropics and fasting in this regard, but I recently read this research. I believe this treatment would be very easy to duplicate with free audio software such as Audacity for the mac.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

I will be juice fasting for 2-3weeks to try to alleviate my noise-induced tinnitus that occurred 3 months ago and to detoxify the body in general.

The facts: Juice fasting to "detoxify" is a scam. Fasting for such long periods is useless and dangerous.

However, I am open to the idea that fasting can help tinnitus. In fact that'd be great news.

I have been on a normal juice fast for a couple of times before without problems. Now I would like to know how safe it is to take some nootropics to treat the tinnitus while fasting? I also need advice on how should I take them, with (fruit or vegetable)juice, herbal tea or without? All pills at the same time or separately?

Is there any evidence those nootropics help tinnitus to begin with?

#4 euewes

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

The facts: Juice fasting to "detoxify" is a scam. Fasting for such long periods is useless and dangerous.

However, I am open to the idea that fasting can help tinnitus. In fact that'd be great news.

I am not going to argue whether juice fasting to detoxify is a scam or not. All I can say is that my personal experiences from fasting have been quite positive overall, especially on the mental side.

I have read that some people have gotten tinnitus relief from fasting, but as far as I know there hasn't been any studies supporting that.

Is there any evidence those nootropics help tinnitus to begin with?

There have been several studies that indicate NAC and ALCAR to be effective in preventing noise induced hearing loss, when taken prior or a few days (weeks or with ALCAR) after the exposure.

"Vinpocetine has also been used in the treatment of acoustic trauma with subsequent hearing loss and tinnitus (persistent noises, such as ringing, whistling, hissing, or roaring, in the ears). Tinnitus disappeared in 50% of the patients who started vinpocetine within one week of the trauma. For those who started later (even much later), 79% had improved hearing, and 66% had a significant decrease in the severity of the tinnitus." [Konopka W, Zalweski P, Olszewski J, et al. Treatment of acoustic trauma. Otolaryngol Pol 1997;51:281S-284S.]

I know it has been quite long since the trauma occurred, but I'm in a situation willing to try almost anything.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

A water fast would be better than a juice fast. Or, if you're going to make it a juice fast, at least make it a vegetable juice fast. An orange juice fast is a terrible idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users