• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

IP6 - who's blindly supplementing without following Iron levels?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

My typical serum iron level is around 100mcg/dL. I've been taking 1.5g IP6 daily for just a few weeks now. Had a blood test a couple of days ago and iron was down to 30mcg/dL (out-of-range-low).

I have a feeling that pure, isolated IP6 is far more potent than dietary IP6 on a mg-per-mg basis, probably due to superior bioavailability. I consider any use of this powerful supplement without closely following iron levels to be pretty reckless at this point.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 21 January 2010 - 02:42 PM.

• like x 1

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

I second that.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Hmmm. I've been taking 500mg of IP6 for the last year or so, but then my original Ferritin level was over 300!

So whats the better Iron test, Iron/TIBC or Ferritin ?

Ferritin is supposed to be more accurate, but it can mistake inflammation for high iron.

#4 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

Its probably best to do them all so you can put the ferritin value in better context and determine whether it reflects inflammation or excess iron.

If ferritin is high but serum iron is consistently low then it is probably related to inflammation.

#5 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

How did you time it? 1.5g is pretty much if your dietary intakes hovered around 1-2g (e.g. mediterranean eating pattern).

I am not sure about iron-absorption kinetics but taking the stuff separated from iron should help, no?

I would guess that correctly timed, lower, supplementary doses should be pretty safe as to iron levels.

Edited by kismet, 21 January 2010 - 05:31 PM.

#6 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

I was taking it at bedtime, on an empty stomach, away from any from any supplemental minerals. I figured that would prevent any impairment of iron absorption from food. Apparently though, if it doesn't grab the iron in your GI tract, it will still pull it out of your blood.

Iron can run from IP6 but it can't hide...

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 21 January 2010 - 05:38 PM.

• like x 1

#7 magnelectro

• 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

I was taking it at bedtime, on an empty stomach, away from any from any supplemental minerals. I figured that would prevent any impairment of iron absorption from food. Apparently though, if it doesn't grab the iron in your GI tract, it will still pull it out of your blood.

Iron can run from IP6 but it can't hide...

Thanks, Funk. Not only for the warning, but for the evidence that IP6 is effective.

#8 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

If it does that to iron, what about other minerals?

I tried taking it a while ago, but it bothered my stomach (since I took it on an empty stomach at bedtime too) so haven't been using it. I considered taking it with dinner, but figured that wasn't such a good idea either. I went for the plain powder variety... maybe a tablet or some slower release type would have been better for my belly.

#9 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

I don't use IP6, but I've been wondering if there's anything else I'm taking that could be causing my low ferritin levels.

Right now I'm using (48-72mg/day) of a Heme-iron (much better absorbed than others) and taking it with vitamin C to boost absorption. I'm also eating more red meat (almost paleolithic athlete quantities). My ferritin levels just won't increase enough - I got ferritin up to 42 last time, but optimal is 100-150.

Anything in OrthoCore that might be causing this? I can't figure it out... and I don't think I have a bleed anywhere (no evidence of this...) - Oh well.

#10 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

Anything in OrthoCore that might be causing this? I can't figure it out... and I don't think I have a bleed anywhere (no evidence of this...) - Oh well.

I wouldn't think it's anything in OrthoCore, but excess green tea might do it. So if you drink it a lot or take extracts, that could be a reason why. There is a small amount of green tea extract in Core, but I wouldn't think it'd be enough to alter iron absorption.

#11 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:31 AM

I have taken 2 grams of IP6 every other night, due to intermittent fasting, for quite a while now. I have not had my iron levels checked in some time but have not had any symptoms of deficiency. I wonder if the timing, taking 1 gram of lactoferrin, and/or aswagandha, is preventing problems. Funk, are you on IF, take any of the above, or a vegetarian? Just curious.

At any rate, I dropped my dosage down to 1.5 grams every other day and may eventually drop it back to 1 gram.

Edit: Found Funk's regimen and I believe the answer to all three is negative.

Edited by cnorwood, 06 February 2010 - 04:07 AM.

#12 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:57 AM

I tried IP6 a while back, my iron was on the low side of normal I forget the exact level. After taking IP6 every night for awhile and I felt like cr@p. I stopped it and within a day I felt better. I had been donating blood every few months. I have since tried IP6 and only one dose will make me feel horrible the next morning. I haven't touched it since nor have I donated blood. IP6 is definitely powerful stuff.

I started a thread and poll about it around that time because I was having issues with it. I was under the mistaken impression that humans were so good at absorbing and keeping iron that a full onslaught of blood donation and chelation would be needed to dump years of iron stores not cleared out by the type of bleeding our ancestors regularly went through (intestinal parasites and what not).

http://www.imminst.o...o...=19910&st=0

Edited by edward, 06 February 2010 - 02:05 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:15 AM

I'm taking 500mg every other night now... Ferritin was 170 on last LEF test in early Jan 2010. I can't donate blood. Will test again in a few months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users