• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

So how many here signed up to cryonics

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: So how many here signed up to cryonics (151 member(s) have cast votes)

Signed up?

1. No and never will (18 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. Yes already signed up (33 votes [21.57%])

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

3. No, but plan to soon (18 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. No, but but plan to in the long term future (33 votes [21.57%])

Percentage of vote: 21.57%

5. No, but might do, depending how other things pan out (51 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

A thing which scares me is, Ok you are insured. You plan your insurance company to pay your cryonics.
What if now you were hit by a bus or something, found you have cancer. Whatever. Now you died and.. I dunno

Insurance taking too long to pay for cryonics, your preservation is delayed?
Insurance decides that it needs to investigate something which causes you to be too late for cryonics or or they do an autopsy. We heard of it already.
They suddenly refuse for whatever reason to pay for cryonics and find a way to justify it in court?

This is the case for CI, and I expect it is the same for Alcor and KrioRus, though I'm sure an Alcor / KrioRus member will be happy to confirm or deny if asked:

The cryonics organisation understands that you have insurance to pay them, and has proof of this on file, periodically updated with validation that your insurance is still in force.

When deanimation occurs, they take action on the assumption that they will get paid later when the insurance pays out.

If it doesn't, in theory you're in trouble (in practice, I expect legions of people will leap to your aid, but I certainly wouldn't want to count on it). Any cryonics organisation would be really, really reluctant to remove you from suspension prematurely (psychologically viewing this as tantamount to murder), but legally reserve the right to do so in the case of non-payment.

#32 President Kush

• 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

Yes, I deffinately want to have myself frozen in hopes of being able to be revived at a later time. I'm only 25 now though, so maybe before I have to think about being frozen they'll invent immortality.

Also, If immortality is NOT invented at that point in time, I'd probably just freeze my head because I also want to get cremated and then have the ashes turned into a diamond. And besides, I wouldn't want to live forever as an old man. I would want to wait to be unthawed until they can do a brain transplant into a clone of myself. or Mind upload into clone of myself. Even if they had rejuvenation, I'd rather start fresh then repair the old one.

And on a less serious note, I'd probably try and gain a lot of weight before i bit the dust, if I could weight about 500 lbs at my time of death, there will be more ashes and therefore a bigger diamond... haha :-D

Edited by President Kush, 03 June 2010 - 12:23 PM.

#33 captainbeefheart

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

So is the UK ridiculously cheap for cryonics or something!? At the start of this thread David Styles says he pays £6 a month but in other countries people are paying considerably more, bit confused!

#34 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

And on a less serious note, I'd probably try and gain a lot of weight before i bit the dust, if I could weight about 500 lbs at my time of death, there will be more ashes and therefore a bigger diamond... haha :~

And think about something like this - the diamond could be then sold to somebody, and the money would legally belong to you - your head that is. Making dough even when you're dead...kind of like Tupac.

Edited by chris w, 16 June 2010 - 05:09 PM.

• like x 1

#35 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:26 AM

So is the UK ridiculously cheap for cryonics or something!? At the start of this thread David Styles says he pays £6 a month but in other countries people are paying considerably more, bit confused!

I and a fair few others that I've helped sign up over here have this deal, or deals close to it.

My £6/pcm buys me a £100,000 GBP sum assured.

It is term assurance, unlike many people's whole of life, but it doesn't run out until I'm 60. Sometime between now and then, I'll simply pre-pay my suspension. It's only $28,000 USD plus a bit extra for transport etc.

Assuming cryonics hasn't been made redundant by then!

I personally recommend Legal and General for inexpensive life insurance in the UK. If you need any help, let me know, and I'll be happy to oblige.

#36 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

I pay 20 EUR till I am 67, for CI. And I have to pay a higher rate because they claim I am not fully healthy (hah, insurers).

However, I still have to save up the money to pay CI cash in advance when I turn 67 then. Saving up for funding - and, to be on the safe side, overfunding - will be a challenge. On the other hand, I get the chance to see how cryonics is doing in 30 years.

#37 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

I pay 20 EUR till I am 67, for CI. And I have to pay a higher rate because they claim I am not fully healthy (hah, insurers).

However, I still have to save up the money to pay CI cash in advance when I turn 67 then. Saving up for funding - and, to be on the safe side, overfunding - will be a challenge. On the other hand, I get the chance to see how cryonics is doing in 30 years.

Excellent situation, actually, chrwe.

A little over €22000 by the time you are 67 is not too much of a push, bearing in mind the likelihood of the ease of remortgaging a house, if nothing else.

Or think of it this way; put aside €100 a month into some investment scheme, and it will be like people with worse deals for insurance, except that the money stays in your pocket in the meantime, earning you money rather than the insurance company.

And think of it yet another way - chances are good that cryonics could be a redundant technology already in 30 years, replaced by something better (such as a genetic cure for ageing, molecular technology to fix damage to the body as it happens, etc).

Basically, playing it the way you are, you're covered on all sides, which is a good thing.

#38 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

The best time for someone without a sufficient health condition for life insurance or the extra money to pay higher insurance rates in case of insufficient health to sign up for cryonics has yet to come. Financing with an annuity might be possible, but it's not getting much cheaper this way. Other forms of financing like a cryonics support fund might be possible in theory yet, but reanimation funds are where the remaining millions go, just like savings. Thus, no way for me to sign up for cryonics this time. Maybe later, perhaps there will be sponsorship exclusively for me.

Edited by robomoon, 21 July 2010 - 02:25 PM.

#39 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

nevermind

Edited by mikeinnaples, 29 July 2010 - 03:32 PM.

#40 DeafImmortalGirl

• 10 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

I am considering signing up for CI but doesn't know what insurance to look for and I don't have much money right now considering I looked for a job but no luck with it. :( I am only going on SSI and going back to school in the spring of 2011 on RN degree. I am doing all the research I can get on cryonics...so far I like Suspension Animation Inc.(however, I don't see any prices on them?) and CI. Still not sure about Alcor.. their prices seem a bit higher for me.

#41 yuriythebest

• 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

I couldn't vote in this poll, since my situation doesn't apply- I DO want to sign up sometime in the future when I can afford it, however there are no cryonics facilities in my country (Kiev, Ukraine)

#42 Adele

• 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

I am considering signing up for CI but doesn't know what insurance to look for and I don't have much money right now considering I looked for a job but no luck with it. :( I am only going on SSI and going back to school in the spring of 2011 on RN degree. I am doing all the research I can get on cryonics...so far I like Suspension Animation Inc.(however, I don't see any prices on them?) and CI. Still not sure about Alcor.. their prices seem a bit higher for me.

An ordinary life insurance policy is sufficient, with the additional need of a Trust - a legal requirement here in the UK as monies will be passing from one country to another. I use the Legal & General, and have an ordinary life insurance policy which runs until I'm 83 and costs £11 per month - more than David's but then I'm twice his physical age and this effects the cost of any insurance policy with any company.

My two Trustees are fellow cryonicists, which seems a good idea though it is not mandatory.

If a person can't afford to set up a cryo-preservation contract, a logical option would be to create a DNA archive.

#43 neue regel

• 59 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

V. No, but might sign up, depending on the future prospects of that business

#44 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

after all how many people here have made a contract

#45 Jaeson Booker

• 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

after all how many people here have made a contract

If, by 'contract', you mean people who have written documentation that they wish to be cryopreserved, and have the life insurance to cover it, that I imagine would be everyone who voted 'Yes, I'm signed up already'.

#46 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

so there are actually people, who seriously want to be vitrified.

#47 towelterror

• 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

i need to find some guide on how to get fully signed up for it, all the steps needed to take. ive searched around a bit and hasnt found out how yet

Edited by towelterror, 16 October 2012 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users