Photo
- - - - -

Carnosine vs Carnitine as Acetyl donor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JasRonq

• 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hello, first post and all that. I'm researching my prospective nootropic stack and have found info on both N-acetylcarnosine and Acetyl L-Carnitine. Now having an Acetyl donor for choline is well understood here and a good idea, but both Carnosine and Carnitine can serve that purpose. I would like to know what benefits they each offer on their own. Wikipedia says that Carnosine has "antioxidant, antiglycator and metal chelator properties" and is as such useful in anti-aging therapy. Wikipedia seems to indicate that Carnitine is also an antioxidant and balances glucose.

Thing is, I'm a young male, overweight but not sick or abnormal that I know of and am looking for the smart edge. I don't have diabetes, I don't drink from lead pipes, I have a reasonable sense of my blood glucose levels and would rather fix those problems with diet and exercise.

So, is either one going to be helpful by increasing my cognition in some way or definitively offer neuroprotective properties? Or should I ignore the difference and get the Acetyl- donor that is cheapest?

Thanks for any info on these, guys.

#2 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

Speaking from a nootropic perspective, as in, a substance which may promote COGNITION with no adverse effects, acetyl-carnitine is your baby. Carnosine is an EXCELLENT anti-aging substance, it reduces telomere damage, prevents a myriad of issues associated with aging, and is of great anti-oxidant value. It also has protective properties over neurons..... but as a cognitive enhancer, it is in my opinion, less effective than Acetyl carnitine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JasRonq

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

Speaking from a nootropic perspective, as in, a substance which may promote COGNITION with no adverse effects, acetyl-carnitine is your baby. Carnosine is an EXCELLENT anti-aging substance, it reduces telomere damage, prevents a myriad of issues associated with aging, and is of great anti-oxidant value. It also has protective properties over neurons..... but as a cognitive enhancer, it is in my opinion, less effective than Acetyl carnitine.

What does Carnitine do? And with such high praise, do you think a 20 something would benefit from carnosine as well? Life is stressful but I can hardly call myself aging.

#4 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

very good point....... personally, I would take the acetylcarnitine instead.

here are benefits to acetylcarnitine;

Acetyl l carnitine may benefit those with mental fatigue associated with chronic fatigue syndrome. Patients with multiple sclerosis may benefit from acetyl carnitine, which could reduce their fatigue.

In aging rats, chronic administration of acetyl carnitine increases cholinergic synaptic transmission and consequently enhances learning capacity. The memory of aging rats is rejuvenated by giving them a combination of acetyl l carnitine and alpha lipoic acid.

Acetyl l carnitine may benefit those with diabetic neuropathy. This nutrient could be helpful in chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy.

May reduce alcohol-induced cellular damage to organs.

Acetylcarnitine may benefit geriatric patients with mild

ALCAR improves the function of mitochondria, the organelles within cells that are involved in energy production.

Is more effective than tamoxifen in the therapy of acute and early chronic Peyronie's disease.

Acetyl l carnitine may benefit individuals with degenerative cerebellar ataxia.

Acetyl carnitine is suitable for clinical use in the reduction of neuronal death after peripheral nerve trauma.

May be helpful in those with Alzheimer's disease.
Acetyl l carnitine protects against amyloid-beta neurotoxicity.

Now i don't know whether study A or b exhibited its results due to the acetyl component of the agent, but I am assuming not, since if that was the case, than acetyl tyrosine or acetyl carnosine would exhibit similar results, them being acetyl donors as well. Acetylcarnitine may be more bioavailable than carnitine, so that may also be a factor, but I think the carnitine itself is largely responsible for the results. If you wanted to know the biological activity of carnitine, just wiki it, and if you have any questions, i would be glad (if I am able) to answer..

here is a webpage with acetylcarnitine studies

http://www.raysaheli...lcarnitine.html

disregard the comments and opinions and just skim through the research....

Edited by medicineman, 23 January 2010 - 07:16 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 JasRonq

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

I see Carnitine is probably the better bet for cognitive enhancement. I am looking at one aspect of Carnosine that seems useful and interesting. Sources suggest that it can help stop neuron damage from oxygen deprivation. That's rather useful if I happen to get strangled or drown. Any idea how much Carnosine it takes to get that sort of benefit and how close to the time of the even the effective dose needs to be taken?

I could take enough for some protective effects and then take the Carnitine for its effects, both giving plenty of Acetyl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users