• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone know anything about this study?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:14 AM

I found this in my wife's Fitness magazine of all places:

Again, research outside the laboratory has been limited: In one of the few completed human trials, 90 sedentary men and women were given a resveratrol-based cocktail or placebo daily for 12 weeks. After three months, everyone jumped on treadmills. "While they all hit the same levels of intensity, the resveratrol group exerted less effort while exercising," says Smoliga, who led the study. What's more, they also had significantly lower heart rates during exercise -- the equivalent of the results of three months' light to moderate training -- apparently just from taking the daily supplement.

http://www.fitnessma...plement/?page=2

Dr. Maroon, former president of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons and team neurosurgeon for the Pittsburgh Steelers, said he helped conduct one of the first human trials in May (2009?) that provided resveratrol, quercetin and other grape polyphenol compounds to 90 sedentary adults. Results of the blind study, presented to the American College of Sports, showed the mixture improved endurance, verbal memory and reaction time.

http://www.post-gaze...4/941484-51.stm

I could not find any info. Maybe it's still under review.

#2 VP.

• Topic Starter
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:40 AM

I'll answer my own question. Here are the slides presented in 2007 about the study. Go to page 30 for the start. Sorry if this old news but I could not find anything on the subject in this sites search engine. It looks like it was never reviewed but they planned on doing more research with athletes.
http://roth-communic.../1539-GS07c.pdf

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

Yes...not submitted, not reviewed and possbily because of the following:

(Bost, Jeffrey Now have partial ownership in company which sponsored research, Ownership Interest.)

Mister Maroon seems to host this site (Xenomis)
http://www.vinomis.c...log/tag/maroon/

Fundamental research at major research universities such as Harvard can have a major impact on therapeutic approaches to common physical problems, but it requires both world class science and strong partnerships with performance-oriented technology transfer organizations, academic scientists and industry,'' said Joseph Maroon, director of research at Xenomis and professor of neurosurgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

And offcourse Mr Maroon is recommending : (cut& paste from their forum)

The following is an excerpt from an article written by Dr. Joseph Maroon for Bottom Line Health, September 2009

The Simple Supplement that May Prevent Killer Diseases
All about resveratrol

"Take a mixed-polyphenol supplement. I recommend the mixed polyphenol supplement Vindure 900, a product developed by Vinomis Laboratories based on Harvard University research ... Because resveratrol absorption is thought to be enhanced when combined with other natural polyphenols, a mixed-polyphenol supplement is best."

------------------------
Vinomis is working and consulting with scientists and doctors at Harvard Medical School, Marywood University, University of Pittsburgh, Brown University and University of Pennsylvania.

Weird :-D Sinclair Clones, real entrepreneurs...they seem to operate under the same patent as Sinclair.
http://www.freepaten.../EP1983848.html

Sinclair, David A. (8 Preston Road, West Roxbury, MA 02132, US)
Baur, Joseph A. (48 Hillside Street, Apt. 3, Boston, MA 02120, US)
Armour, Sean M. (75 Saint Alphonsus Street, Apt. 1809, Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120, US)

Edited by drmz, 27 January 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#4 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:02 AM

Im getting the impression you may have a personal bias against Resveratrol and its proponents. Am I correct?

#5 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

I'll answer my own question. Here are the slides presented in 2007 about the study. Go to page 30 for the start. Sorry if this old news but I could not find anything on the subject in this sites search engine. It looks like it was never reviewed but they planned on doing more research with athletes.

I've been part of and followed the years long Maximizing Resveratrol Effectiveness, How/when to take? Thread Here . The thread seems to have finished up its work, content in knowing for certain that micronized resveratrol in Tween is THE SOLUTION. I've been taking 10 l0ngev1nex capsules with 2 grams of Now quercetin every morning for a few weeks to treat prostate cancer. The L0ngev1nex was sent to me, gratis, by the journalist associated with the company. The 10 capsules gets me wired and keeps we wired thoughout the day until about 12 hours later when I start to crash. I availed myself of the 3 tablet free sample offered by Vinomis. I took all 3 tablets yesterday morning in place of the 10 L0ngev1nex and 2 grams quercetin. Much, much more wired. Feeling almost manic. So it looks like the argument that red wine extract contains powerful compounds which act like or or are stronger than resteratrol and the argument that substances in red wine protect resveratrol from digestion and the liver are true.

I've received my 4 bottles of MCT Quercetin. I'm waiting for my 4 bottles of Nitro 250 to arrive. I ordered these because Dr. Snuffy Myers recommends these for his prostate cancer patients. I'm going to order a bottle of Vindure 900 and compare its effects on me. A lot cheaper and a lot more reliable than getting Nictro 250 and MCT Quercetin. The website says that Nitro 250 is once again out of stock.

#6 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:46 AM

I've been part of and followed the years long Maximizing Resveratrol Effectiveness, How/when to take? Thread Here . The thread seems to have finished up its work, content in knowing for certain that micronized resveratrol in Tween is THE SOLUTION. I've been taking 10 l0ngev1nex capsules with 2 grams of Now quercetin every morning for a few weeks to treat prostate cancer. The L0ngev1nex was sent to me, gratis, by the journalist associated with the company. The 10 capsules gets me wired and keeps we wired thoughout the day until about 12 hours later when I start to crash. I availed myself of the 3 tablet free sample offered by Vinomis. I took all 3 tablets yesterday morning in place of the 10 L0ngev1nex and 2 grams quercetin. Much, much more wired. Feeling almost manic. So it looks like the argument that red wine extract contains powerful compounds which act like or or are stronger than resteratrol and the argument that substances in red wine protect resveratrol from digestion and the liver are true.

I've received my 4 bottles of MCT Quercetin. I'm waiting for my 4 bottles of Nitro 250 to arrive. I ordered these because Dr. Snuffy Myers recommends these for his prostate cancer patients. I'm going to order a bottle of Vindure 900 and compare its effects on me. A lot cheaper and a lot more reliable than getting Nictro 250 and MCT Quercetin. The website says that Nitro 250 is once again out of stock.

Thanks for following this thread. Perhaps a person could substitute the M98 pouch for the Nitro 250, or wait, they have never been out of stock for long, IME. Regarding the "wired" feelings probably placebo initiated by Resveratrols slight anti-depressant effect, and the fact that it may enhance the effects of anything else a person is taking. Just my opinion. I hope it helps.

#7 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

The Nitro was out of stock, and now the website says it is now in stock...
It happens when a product becomes extremely popular, it sells out!

Vindure is not micronized, are you comparing apples to oranges when talking about price?

Now If your strictly speaking about price, Try the 500mg resveratrol capsules which are 99% pure (and not micronized) along with Quercetin you mentioned, to make your price comparison a good one. I know we make a lot of different products, so it can be confusing at times.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 13 February 2010 - 10:56 PM.

#8 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for following this thread. Perhaps a person could substitute the M98 pouch for the Nitro 250, or wait, they have never been out of stock for long, IME. Regarding the "wired" feelings probably placebo initiated by Resveratrols slight anti-depressant effect, and the fact that it may enhance the effects of anything else a person is taking. Just my opinion. I hope it helps.

I'm not attempting to talk Nitro 250 down. I think that it is an approach to bioavailability. If I feel wired from taking resveratrol because of its slight anti-depressant effects, that is not a placebo effect. A placebo effect is giving something you know is only going to have a suggestive effect. If the resveratrol enhances the effects of other things I'm taking, well, so be it. My point is that at least as much resveratrol got into my cells using the very inexpensive Vindure 900 versus taking the much more expensive L0ngev1nex. I got even more wired with the Vindure 900, but then I got 1,200 mg. of resveratrol plus perhaps more from the pro-resveratrol polyphenols in the wine extract versus 1,000 mg. resveratrol in the L0ngev1nex. Now if I have the choice of spending hundres of dollars a month on L0ngev1nex, hundreds of dollars a month on getting 4 bottles of Nitro 250 or a hundred dollars a month to get 20% more apparently bioavailable resveratrol in Vindure 900 for a hundred dollars a month, well the choice is obvious. Plus, compared to the Nitro 250 I don't have to take a load of Tween 80.

I'm going to order some Vindure 900 and contrast. Feeling more energy, feeling wired, sleeping much more deeply aren't indications that my prostate cancer is being nuked nor that other health markers are improving. But they aren't placebo effects. They're evidence that that forumulation of resveratrol succeeded in getting the resveratrol into the cells.

Perhaps one could buy M98 and red wine extract. I've yet to find a red wine extract that contains as much polyphenols as Vindure 900's red wine extract. Plus, M98 costs about the same as Vindure 900. Add in the cost of red wine extract and the price goes higher. M98 is micronized. But what was the purpose of micronizing resveratrol? To increase bioavailability. L0ngev1nex is micronized and microencapsulated. My experience with Vindure 900 says that if you have red wine extract in with the resveratrol, micronizing is an unnecessary step.

BTW, Revgenetics shows that Nitro 250 is available again.

#9 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Since we are cross-posting today... :)

I think we have a thread around here about quercetin (not resveratrol) making people feel different.

I ask folks only to consider resveratrol benefits after 4-6 weeks, because when taken alone... Resveratrol is not supposed to make you feel like a maniac... so the maniacal feeling is not a good indication of resveratrol activity. Anyone that says you are feeling something because of a better quality of res in the formulation, is misinforming you. Don't confuse Quercetin's action in your body for a 'better resveratrol'.

On the other side of the coin, resveratrol and quercetin should be taking in equal amounts, according to at least one study (the reason we have 250 in both capsule). So you will need to take extra quercetin with Vindure (which also adds cost...), the same goes for the other product you have taken 10 capsules of (which is a slow release according to them) and because of this you may never have a high amount of res in the plasma, since I personally believe that it is very likely your metabolism eats up the small amount of res up as, soon as it is released. (Be aware, that is the reason we did not make a vegetarian licaps capsule... the veggy caps add beeswax, which makes a paste and releases the res slowly.)

This is not good when you are trying to get a spike of res in the plasma. (this has been mentioned here on this board previously, please search for it.)

as for your statement:
"My experience with ..(the other brand).. says that if you have red wine extract in with the resveratrol, micronizing is an unnecessary step."

Again, don't confuse Quercetin 'energy' with resveratrol benefits.
Also, absorption does not depend on red-wine extract. I would like to see any study that shows this...

I fear you maybe making incorrect assumptions based on a caffeine or energy like "feeling" that maybe added to the supplement that is unrelated to resveratrol.
Since feelings are a bit unscientific and you have cancer, is there any way you can test with your doctor any blood differences while taking these? I think most folks would find that interesting.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 14 February 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#10 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Im getting the impression you may have a personal bias against Resveratrol and its proponents. Am I correct?

Not really. I'm against the resveratrol industry and the marketing machine behind it. ( i even got $350 worth of res pills to spread the word on here...great business) Not to mention the whole "behind the scene resveratrol business". It's messy ;)
A proponent is as biased as i'm. There is offcourse no difference. Besides that, i think one can't argue that the study mentioned above and the way it found it's way to the internet and in some magazines is very credible. The only credible thing on that site is that in mentions Harvard. But I'm sure that not all people at Harvard have wings on their backs.

When it comes to you i'm certainly skeptic and biased. You seem like the first person that can take 7 supplements and feel 1 of them working 30 minutes later. Swearing that it is resveratrol :) That's just funny.

This sums it up, all the reasons why i detest it:

Portentous music blares as a news bulletin-style headline -- "National Medical Report" -- flashes on the computer screen. Against a backdrop of ancient Egyptian mosaics an earnest American voice-over declares: "Six thousand years ago, the ancient Persians offered it as a symbol of peace and friendship. Since then it has been intertwined with the journey of mankind." Cut to the present, and a shot of red wine sloshing into glasses. "Many of today's scientists believe," booms the actor, "that one of [red wine's] key extracts -- resveratrol -- may offer new hope for good health and the prevention of heart disease, cancer and other deadly diseases."

Cue James Betz, "president/founder, Biotivia, Longevity Bioceuticals". Dressed in black, he tells an out-of-shot interviewer, over the image of a blonde lab technician: "A lot of researchers believe right now that resveratrol may be regarded as important a discovery as penicillin." The testimonies follow of a "senior Olympiad [sic]/ resveratrol user", who claims that taking resveratrol supplements cleared up his arthritis, and a cancer survivor who informs us that, having finally "got [his] hands on this product… four months later [he] was playing badminton!" Then comes Betz's money shot. "By health strategies and things like resveratrol," he says, "we can add, say, ten-year increments to our lifespan. And as we add these ten year increments, we're building successive bridges to the ultimate goal, which is essentially infinite lifespan."

The internet seethes with "miracle" pills and cures, pandering to vitamin junkies, the sexually anxious and, that most lucrative of niches, the worried well. Most are easily dismissed as quackery, built on the flimsiest science if any. But resveratrol -- a polyphenol also known as trans-3,5,4'-trihydroxystilbene, found in grape skins, peanuts and berries -- demands closer attention. The compound's advocates talk up an eye-popping ability to stave off a host of age-related diseases including certain cancers, type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and neurological conditions. Its popularity as a dietary supplement -- sold mostly online -- is growing exponentially. It is also the subject of an expanding body of "traditional" clinical research.

Plug "resveratrol" into Google and 4.6 million hits appear. Further data provided by the search engine reveals that the word (including misspellings and combination searches with additional keywords) is searched for, on average, 722,000 times a month, and that interest in the so-called "super compound" has doubled during 2009. Search-traffic data indicating a surge of consumer curiosity about resveratrol has been driven, in part, by media coverage on US TV shows, ranging from Oprah to CBS's 60 Minutes -- viewed more than 470,000 times on YouTube -- and via a blizzard of news stories about how researchers have found that moderate daily consumption of red wine may now be "good for you".

As the scientists toil in their labs, compiling the first flurry of evidence from the earliest clinical trials, the dietary-supplements industry has rushed to fill the void. In the wake of the excitable headlines about resveratrol- inspired breakthroughs, scores of sales sites with names such as megaresveratrol.com, AgeStop.net and ResveratrolMiracle.com now jostle for a slice of a market, which dazzles with cod science.

Gauging the size of the resveratrol business is not easy. No one monitors the industry closely enough. But anecdotal evidence that the market is booming comes from the aforementioned Betz. Tracked down to Spain, the Biotivia boss -- whose business is based in the US and Vienna, but also has a presence across Europe as well as China and India -- says the resveratrol market is still at the "boutique supplement stage", worth about $20 million annually. But with "tons of human trials about to be released -- we're doing a bunch of them ourselves with collaborators", Betz says, a "tipping point" nears. "Then it will go from an early adopter phase to a mass-market product. We think that sales in 2010 will be probably at least five times those of 2009, taking the market to at least $100 million."

When asked to name some of the "tons of human trials" he is referring to, he cites "the first phase of a study on diabetes" at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (in New York) which "should be published in about three months" and "a study on the effects of resveratrol on the fitness and mitochondria effects of both sedentary and active subjects at Ottawa Hospital". However, Will Steward, professor of oncology at Leicester Royal Infirmary and an expert on diet-derived agents (including resveratrol), tells Wired: "Both of those are good centres, but their studies are very preliminary and we will need to see the data. There are not 'tons of trials'. There are about four [human trials] in cancer at present. We can't derive any information from these yet."

Marketing claims made for resveratrol range from the extravagant to the sci-fi fantastical. One leading UK sales site, AgeStop.net, declares that the compound "activates a longevity gene in certain strains of yeast and extends life expectancy by 70 per cent!"

The company provides a phone number for "live help" on its website. A scrupulously polite, and almost certainly outsourced, operator tells me resveratrol is "a very good product to stop the progression of cancer growth…". It becomes immediately apparent that she's reading from the company's website, as she informs me, haltingly: "It also increases the level of… quinone reductase." What's that? A long pause. She isn't sure. "The liver uses these enzymes to detoxify the carcinogens. [Resveratrol] also acts as a beneficial phytoestrogen," she adds mysteriously.

She fills the ensuing gap by saying: "It also reduces all the cholesterol in your body." And what about claims that resveratrol extends life -- what's that based upon? "You know it actually protects against prostate cancer," she says. "It will give you extended life [sic]. It acts in a protective role against the formation of colon cancer. [Yes, she's reading again.] So that's the reason, you know, you'll get an extended life with [resveratrol]."

If, anything, my conversation with another supplements site -- myprotein.co.uk, "the UK's leading online manufacturer and supplier of sports and nutritional supplements" -- proves even more bizarre. Among the plethora of "sports supplements and nutrition" it offers is "super-strength" Trans-resveratrol at £12.95 for 90 tablets (250mg). "This wonderful antioxidant," it claims, "has been shown to have a number of positive health effects, including: cancer prevention, anti-viral, control of type-2 diabetes, anti-ageing, anti-inflammatory and life-prolonging properties."

Its phone number is a little harder to locate than AgeStop's, but when I dial it I'm put through to an in-house "nutritionist", who sounds like a teenager with a Saturday job. "Obviously no one's got the cure for cancer at the moment," he points out when asked about resveratrol's claimed "cancer prevention" properties. "But [resveratrol] has been known to help the immune system fight off cells of that sort." Just in case there's any confusion, he adds: "But obviously it's not full, 100 percent cancer prevention." And then: "It's also been known and proven for anti-ageing within skin cells and muscle cells."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leicester Royal Infirmary is a sprawl of municipal-style buildings. The hospital is home to one of Europe's largest cancer-prevention research groups, where Will Steward jointly oversees laboratory and human trials concerning the role "diet-derived agents", including resveratrol, play in reducing cancer risk and progression.

Extracts from Wired's conversations with dietary-supplements companies -- including claims that resveratrol supplements "reduce the causes of cancer", elicit a weary sigh from Steward. "It's twaddle," he says. "Isn't it an example of how awful the field of supplementary medicine can be? There is zero clinical evidence that it prevents cancer at the moment, simply because the trials haven't been done. I treat hundreds of people with cancer every year and they are incredibly vulnerable. They and their families waste a fortune on these 'treatments', potentially adding to [the patient's] toxicity

Read along over HERE

Edited by drmz, 14 February 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#11 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

I hope you copied and pasted that!

I'm hardly inclined to believe that hundreds of educational institutions all over the world have risked their reputation and collaborated to conduct hundreds-thousands of rigged studies on resveratrol. That said, there are some that believe resveratrol will make them live longer (without CR). So there is a lot of hype.

But geez, what wasted energy in typing all that!

#12 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

I hope you copied and pasted that!

I'm hardly inclined to believe that hundreds of educational institutions all over the world have risked their reputation and collaborated to conduct hundreds-thousands of rigged studies on resveratrol. That said, there are some that believe resveratrol will make them live longer (without CR). So there is a lot of hype.

But geez, what wasted energy in typing all that!

I was gonna say "geez, just post the links!" I wanna see those resveratrol adds. Especially the blond researcher.

#13 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:08 AM

The Nitro was out of stock, and now the website says it is now in stock...
It happens when a product becomes extremely popular, it sells out!

Vindure is not micronized, are you comparing apples to oranges when talking about price?

Now If your strictly speaking about price, Try the 500mg resveratrol capsules which are 99% pure (and not micronized) along with Quercetin you mentioned, to make your price comparison a good one. I know we make a lot of different products, so it can be confusing at times.

I fear you maybe making incorrect assumptions based on a caffeine or energy like "feeling" that maybe added to the supplement that is unrelated to resveratrol.

Cheers
A

I am not at all confused. You charge quite a big extra for micronizing your resveratrol. I posit that there are probably multiple ways to make resveratrol bioavailable. One way is the Sirtis way, which you've followed with the Nitro. Some research has shown that resveratrol in red wine extract protects the resveratrol and keeps it bioavailable.

Anthony, do you really need to take cheap shots? You don't have to suggest that a competitor is spiking their resveratrol with caffeine or other like stimulant to give an energy "feeling". You're making yourself, you company and your products look tawdry here.

Edited by browser, 15 February 2010 - 02:38 AM.

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:23 AM

I am not at all confused. You charge quite a big extra for micronizing your resveratrol. I posit that there are probably multiple ways to make resveratrol bioavailable. One way is the Sirtis way, which you've followed with the Nitro. Some research has shown that resveratrol in red wine extract protects the resveratrol and keeps it bioavailable.

Do you have a reference for that?

#15 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:02 AM

Some research has shown that resveratrol in red wine extract protects the resveratrol and keeps it bioavailable.

If this is the case, you my want to add or switch to WineRX + resveratrol. Reading Vindure 900, it looks like it has grape extract and not a wine extract such as WineRX.

#16 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

I am not taking cheap shots, Quercetin has been discussed before regarding it's effects.

Quercetin has effects on energy in the short term. Resveratrol is much more subtle, and benefits are not really noticeable for a while.
If you believe Resveratrol is providing the energy and you are 2-3 days into it... It is a placebo effect, or it is something else you are taking.

It's that simple. Don't take this the wrong way, I am not attacking your post, just correcting some assumptions.

#17 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Quercetin has effects on energy in the short term. Resveratrol is much more subtle, and benefits are not really noticeable for a while.
If you believe Resveratrol is providing the energy and you are 2-3 days into it... It is a placebo effect, or it is something else you are taking.

Anthony, every time i take your R300, I experience large energy increase 2 to 3 days after beginning it at 2x per day and it lasts for at most 2 weeks at which point I either stop noticing it or it has gone away. I put together and posted the list of everyone's experiences here and this seemed to be the most common side effect. Each time it was tied to a time-line, seems to be about what can be expected. It is the most reliable if not only side effect people have have reported with resveratrol. A somewhat distance second is the ligament/tendon damage.

Also, I thought you might be interested to know that it is against wikipedia standards to accept patents as a source of valid information. It's more than a "guideline"...it's pretty much not allowed as a reference to a claimed fact. Patents are notorious for errors in pursuit of profit. They are usually the first step crackpots (as well as legitimate companies) use to start a business. The difference is that the crackpots use the patents in advertising for investment or sales rather than intellectual property protection. Now, refering to someone else's patent is different, and the legitimacy of it just has to be guessed from the knowledge of the people who have the patent. Wiki allows a reference to a patent in extreme cases where the applicant has a distinguished history such that an error in the patent and biased information for profit would be nearly unthinkable.

#18 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

Here is the thread where I put together the list of everyone in the message board who reported the effect of resveratrol:
http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=19888

Edited by zawy, 22 February 2010 - 04:53 PM.

#19 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

Just a quick note:

R300 is not pure Resveratrol either as it is a 50% purity from polygonum. The other 50% has other phytonutrients that maybe causing Zawys energy, or it maybe the polydatin found in our R300 as, this last batch has an interesting amount of trans-resveratrol 3-O-glucoside (trans-polydatin) which could be the energy culprit, however I am not sure:
http://www.revgeneti...010_Profile.pdf

As for Quercetin:
Here is the thread on Quercetin, if you want to know all about it (a lot of great stuff here):
http://www.imminst.o...o...st&p=290579

As I mentioned before, pure trans-resveratrol is not supposed to make you have a bout of energy from the start. It is subtle, and noticed over 4-6 weeks.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 23 February 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#20 cider

• 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:28 AM

As I mentioned before, pure trans-resveratrol is not supposed to make you have a bout of energy from the start. It is subtle, and noticed over 4-6 weeks.

Please cite the human study that shows energy increases are noticed over 4-6 weeks. Much appreciated.

#21 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

Please cite the human study that shows energy increases are noticed over 4-6 weeks. Much appreciated.

I am aware of unpublished study by a USCF certified coach demonstrating an improved power generation capacity above baseline measurements in trained cyclists. We certainly have anecdotal reports from athletes, mostly cyclists and a few swimmers that are consistent with enhanced performance in conjunction with training.

I think it's reasonable to extrapolate to humans from the rodent studies showing increased mitochondrial density in muscle tissue; not many humans will consent to a biopsy from their thigh muscle to make such measurements. It's been done but it's painful.

#22 cider

• 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

It's fine to have anecdotes, and I've read the one posted here with respect to the cyclists, but I've read other anecdotes that seem reasonable where resveratrol kicks in between one week and six months. Until we know more, stating 4 to 6 weeks is just heresay.

Edited by cider, 25 February 2010 - 02:51 PM.

#23 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:15 AM

It is anecdotal evidence from customers (we do have many so I have to take their word for it)... as well as my personal request that all folks should consider any benefits only after 4-6 weeks. Before this amount of time, I would have to attribute energy increases (or other benefits) to other things, including a placebo effect.

As I mentioned before, pure trans-resveratrol is not supposed to make you have a bout of energy from the start. It is subtle, and and any benefits are noticed over 4-6 weeks. I could be wrong, as it may affect people differently, but I am a skeptic if someone tells me they felt something the very first day they took it...

Will it work for everybody?
I don't think so, due to different weight that people have, the dosage, health and lifestyle. (an athlete at the top of his game, may not feel much at all... however any possible improvements could probably still be measured on the track)

I would suggest folks to be skeptical at first, and measure any benefits after a time where taking the supplement is not 'new' to them anymore.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 26 February 2010 - 03:21 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 cider

• 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:28 AM

It is anecdotal evidence from customers (we do have many so I have to take their word for it)... as well as my personal request that all folks should consider any benefits only after 4-6 weeks. Before this amount of time, I would have to attribute energy increases (or other benefits) to other things, including a placebo effect.

As I mentioned before, pure trans-resveratrol is not supposed to make you have a bout of energy from the start. It is subtle, and and any benefits are noticed over 4-6 weeks. I could be wrong, as it may affect people differently, but I am a skeptic if someone tells me they felt something the very first day they took it...

OK, but my own experience and that of a friend using a blended brand were different. It wasn't a "bout of energy" but it felt like greater stamina after a week or so of not noticing a thing. I only called him after being surprised since he didn't mention anything good or bad taking resv until after I expained what I felt. I have read other anecdotets including a guy who says he is a scientist and started playing basketball much better with resveartrol and stopping his arthritis drug, but only after six months. He doubted anyone would get that type of benefit until since his theory was that he was undergoing slow repair up until it no longer hurt to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users