Photo
- - - - -

Treating decreased Testosterone from Melatonin use

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mcgu0132

• 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:03 AM

For the last 20 months I have taken melatonin in spurts to help with falling asleep. Over the last 6 months I have taken melatonin almost nightly in 3 mg doses. 4 months ago I started noticing some sexual changes (no morning erection, poor erection quality, decrease in libido). I was able to ignore these changes until last month, when I found myself looking for libido increasing drugs online. In a moment of clarity I realized a physically active, healthy 27 year old male (6'1", 185 lbs) who has had strong libido shouldn't need help in that department.

A week ago I pegged melatonin as the cause and immediately ceased use. Two days after stopping use I received an overall testosterone test. The reading was 348 ng/dl, approx half of the expected value for someone of my age.

All studies I have read reinforce melatonin as the reason for the decline. Melatonin acts on the pituitary by raising levels of the GnRH inhibiting hormone, effectively lowering output of GnRH, leading to reduction in LH/FSH which means less testosterone. In a 3 month study of 8 men, two had drastic decreases in sperm levels from daily 3 mg melatonin dosing. 1 of the 2 men returned to normal 6 months after treatment.

My question is:

Should I expect these levels to return to normal after such long term use?
Am I destined for TRT from melatonin use?
Is there a way to jump start my pituitary gland to return to normal production?

I know for a fact 6 months ago everything was working as it should.

Thanks for any advice! This is quickly taking over my life.

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

You might try clomiphene (clomid). That is probably the only safe, effective and well-studied option you have for boosting endogenous testosterone production.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 27 January 2010 - 05:26 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 mcgu0132

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

You might try clomiphene (clomid). That is probably the only safe, effective and well-studied option you have for boosting endogenous testosterone production.

Is the idea with Clomid to jump start the pituitary-hypothalamus, or is it something to be taken for life? It seems to me, if I suppressed GnRH with Melatonin, taking away the Melatonin would allow my levels of GnRH to go back up.

But, as I've read, sometime it balances back out and sometimes it is out of balance forever.

Has anyone else ever heard of this issue with Melatonin?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#4 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

Wow. That explains a lot. I was recently diagnosed as severely low in testosterone (less than HALF the minimum), and I've been taking several mg of melatonin nightly for years to help me get to sleep. I can't think of any other reasonable cause, as I exercise and lead a healthy lifestyle.

Edited by resveratrol, 16 February 2010 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users