• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Adrafinil and Rhodiola Rosea interactions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mwasnidge

• 49 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:09 AM

Hi everyone, new user here and relatively new to Nootropics. Been reading the boards for a while now trying to determine the best combo of Nootropics to enhance my focus and mental clarity in a very demanding job and homelife! On a whim I got some Rhodiola Rosea for its reported stress and fatigue combatting qualities and some organic Wheatgrass powder for the energy boost. I haven't really noticed much from the Rhodiola (but will stick with it for a while longer), but the Wheatgrass definitely gives me a kickstart in the morning. Now I'm looking to try Adrafinil for the focus and clarity issues I have. I guess my question is; would there be any problem with adding Adrafinil to the combination? Also, would Milk Thistle go some way to minimize potential liver damage?

I guess the above combination is a little bit non-traditional, what with leaving out the racetams, but I tried Piracetam and felt no effect at all.....although I would like to try Aniracetam. Does anyone know if you're less likely to respond to other racetams if Piracetam doesn't do anything for you?

Any help would be appreciated....

#2 M4Y0U

• 108 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:58 AM

Hi everyone, new user here and relatively new to Nootropics. Been reading the boards for a while now trying to determine the best combo of Nootropics to enhance my focus and mental clarity in a very demanding job and homelife! On a whim I got some Rhodiola Rosea for its reported stress and fatigue combatting qualities and some organic Wheatgrass powder for the energy boost. I haven't really noticed much from the Rhodiola (but will stick with it for a while longer), but the Wheatgrass definitely gives me a kickstart in the morning. Now I'm looking to try Adrafinil for the focus and clarity issues I have. I guess my question is; would there be any problem with adding Adrafinil to the combination? Also, would Milk Thistle go some way to minimize potential liver damage?

I guess the above combination is a little bit non-traditional, what with leaving out the racetams, but I tried Piracetam and felt no effect at all.....although I would like to try Aniracetam. Does anyone know if you're less likely to respond to other racetams if Piracetam doesn't do anything for you?

Piracetams effects doesn't happen overnight apart of the better oxygenation of the brain which might have a quick impact but don't overestimate the product, your neurotransmitters have to adapt and changes doesn't happen overnight just like brain plasticity and synapses action potential doesn't change in 1 day.. Anyway I see no problem in using the stimulating adaptogen of Rhodiola rosea with Adrafinil. You might wanna add some sublingual B vitamins complex to the mix for enhance you metabolism and cognitive functions. Add some vitamin D if you lack sun exposure and eat well. Nutrition is the most important thing to consider when going into the world of supplements. Whole grains, veggies, fruits, meat, fish each day for maximum benefits. Not into fish? Buy some Omega-3. Avoid simple carbohydrates and prefer the complex ones. Avoid saturated fat and go for mono and polysaturated. Vitamins, minerals. All stuff your body and brain need. A happy body have a happy brain.

Best regards,
M4

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mwasnidge

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:13 AM

Piracetams effects doesn't happen overnight apart of the better oxygenation of the brain which might have a quick impact but don't overestimate the product, your neurotransmitters have to adapt and changes doesn't happen overnight just like brain plasticity and synapses action potential doesn't change in 1 day.. Anyway I see no problem in using the stimulating adaptogen of Rhodiola rosea with Adrafinil. You might wanna add some sublingual B vitamins complex to the mix for enhance you metabolism and cognitive functions. Add some vitamin D if you lack sun exposure and eat well. Nutrition is the most important thing to consider when going into the world of supplements. Whole grains, veggies, fruits, meat, fish each day for maximum benefits. Not into fish? Buy some Omega-3. Avoid simple carbohydrates and prefer the complex ones. Avoid saturated fat and go for mono and polysaturated. Vitamins, minerals. All stuff your body and brain need. A happy body have a happy brain.

Best regards,
M4

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that. And I think you're absolutely right-I think it does start with with a healthy body, and I will definitely be adding B vitamins and Omega-3. My next step (or maybe it should be first?) is to quit smoking, drinking coffee and exercise regularly!

#4 Healthy56

• 39 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:16 AM

Don't judge Rhodiola too quickly. Most people make the mistake of buying one box or bottle, trying it and walking away. It could take two to four weeks to even START getting the effect, depending upon your brand. Write here if you want suggestions on brands. I take Piracetam also, find it makes me SLEEPY believe it or not, if I take too large of a dose. I haven't tried Wheatgrass -- tastes so bad, but I'll try it again. Is that FRESH that you clip and blend in a drink, or some kind of dried product? I take two caps of Rhodiola in the AM, 150 mg each, and one in the late afternoon most days. Revolutionized my life.

#5 mwasnidge

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:18 AM

Don't judge Rhodiola too quickly. Most people make the mistake of buying one box or bottle, trying it and walking away. It could take two to four weeks to even START getting the effect, depending upon your brand. Write here if you want suggestions on brands. I take Piracetam also, find it makes me SLEEPY believe it or not, if I take too large of a dose. I haven't tried Wheatgrass -- tastes so bad, but I'll try it again. Is that FRESH that you clip and blend in a drink, or some kind of dried product? I take two caps of Rhodiola in the AM, 150 mg each, and one in the late afternoon most days. Revolutionized my life.

I will stick with Rhodiola being as I've read many good things. I got Vitamin Shoppe own brand partly because it was cheaper, and also they didn't have much to choose from on the shelve...it was more of an impulse purchase. But yes, I would appreciate some suggestions on brands. Do you cycle your Rhodiola use? Does 6 weeks on, 2 off sound reasonable? Does it have a cumulative effect in your system? As in will you still feel the benefits on the weeks you don't take it?

I bought 'Amazing Grass' brand of Wheatgrass powder and it's freeze dried. It's really dark algae coloured green and I put a scoop full in a protein shake in the morning. Tastes absolutely awful, but I highly recommend it if you lack 'deep green' type food in your diet like I do.

I've read about some stacks that people take on a daily basis, and to be honest, I really don't want to be taking a hundred pills a day and experimenting for weeks on end to get it right. This is what I've decided on trying, and we'll see how it goes:

Rhodiola Rosea
Wheatgrass Powder
Adrafinil
Omega 3
Sublingual Vitamin B Complex
Milk Thistle (to help combat Adrafinil liver dangers)

Would also like to try Lion's Mane and a few others I read about, but like I said, don't want to go overboard...I think the above is more than enough.

Edited by mwasnidge, 04 February 2010 - 02:20 AM.

#6 mwasnidge

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:39 AM

Just a little to add to this:

I got the Adrafinil, no problem. I quite like it. I notice a subtle difference off one 300mg tab. Nothing too hyper or pronounced, just an even keel of clarity for a few hours. I also got some Source Naturals Sublingual Vitamin B complex, LEF Super Omega 3 and some milk thistle (to help offset the potential for liver damage). Noticed that something in this cocktail is giving me a daily nagging headache and a little bit of nausea. It's not the Adrafinil because it was happening before it arrived. Feels like it could be the Vitamin B complex...does that make sense?

Even though I do like the Adrafinil, I'm thinking of trying to get a prescription for Nuvigil. I do have excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue and have had episodes of sleep apnea in the past. Plus I have a prescription drug program through my employer where they pay for a portion of a drug not covered under insurance. Might be cost effective being as NuVigil is cheaper than ProVigil. If I do get on NuVigil, I think i'll mix it up a bit and change my regimen to this:

NuVigil
Rhodiola Rosea (need to switch to a better brand. Suggestions?)
Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate
Super Omega 3
Sublingual Vitamin B Complex
Wheatgrass Powder in protein shake (I swear by this stuff)

I'll drop the Milk Thistle being as I hardly drink and won't be taking the Adrifinil.

Has anyone got any suggestion, or see any potential problems?

#7 donkey

• 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

I got the Adrafinil, no problem. I quite like it. I notice a subtle difference off one 300mg tab. Nothing too hyper or pronounced, just an even keel of clarity for a few hours. I also got some Source Naturals Sublingual Vitamin B complex, LEF Super Omega 3 and some milk thistle (to help offset the potential for liver damage). Noticed that something in this cocktail is giving me a daily nagging headache and a little bit of nausea. It's not the Adrafinil because it was happening before it arrived. Feels like it could be the Vitamin B complex...does that make sense?

Even though I do like the Adrafinil, I'm thinking of trying to get a prescription for Nuvigil. I do have excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue and have had episodes of sleep apnea in the past. Plus I have a prescription drug program through my employer where they pay for a portion of a drug not covered under insurance. Might be cost effective being as NuVigil is cheaper than ProVigil. If I do get on NuVigil, I think i'll mix it up a bit and change my regimen to this:

The only thing I'd suggest is that i got a notice in november that my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois) would no longer be covering Nuvigil or Provigil for any other diagnosis than proven narcolepsy. A LOT of insurance companies are hesitant to approve coverage for Provigil products because it's so often prescribed off label. And a month's worth of Provigil for me was 853.00 without prescription. Pro/Nuvigil has a 'cleaner' feeling than Adrafinil, but they're all produced by Cephalon, and adrafinil is a zillion times cheaper in the long run, so I'd look into your coverage before getting a script.

I'll stick with the adrafinil :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 mwasnidge

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:22 AM

The only thing I'd suggest is that i got a notice in november that my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois) would no longer be covering Nuvigil or Provigil for any other diagnosis than proven narcolepsy. A LOT of insurance companies are hesitant to approve coverage for Provigil products because it's so often prescribed off label. And a month's worth of Provigil for me was 853.00 without prescription. Pro/Nuvigil has a 'cleaner' feeling than Adrafinil, but they're all produced by Cephalon, and adrafinil is a zillion times cheaper in the long run, so I'd look into your coverage before getting a script.

I'll stick with the adrafinil :)

Well, I'm with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illionois too, so it doesn't look like I'll get it covered...not that I was expecting it anyway. Man, I hate insurance companies with a passion! Then again, why are Cephalon pricing Provigil and Nuvigil so high? I understand they are trying to dodge patent issues by shifting people to Nuvigil, but for a drug that is probably 90% prescribed off-label, you'd think that they would price it within reason. $853 is like two car payments!

I just checked on my Prescription Drug plan through Caremark, and if i'm reading it right, a 90 day supply of 250mg Nuvigil via mail order would be $200 my cost with my employer picking up the rest. Plus, if I could half those tabs and get away with taking 125mg a day, I could stretch that to 180 days. I would be very happy with paying $200 for a 6 month supply of Nuvigil!

Couple of questions for you: what do you mean by 'cleaner' feeling from pro/nuvigil? I think I know what what you mean, but could you clarify? Also, how long have you been taking the Adrafinil? How is it working out? What else do you take along with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users