Photo
- - - - -

Deprenyl for Young Users

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aronia

• 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:59 AM

I am confused on whether or not it would be a good idea for someone who is young(20 years old) to be exact, to experiment with Deprenyl? I have read conflicting information from different sources and since from what I have read here some it seems like some of you are very knowledable on the subject, and seems to be the place to go to for advice. I have seen recommendations not to use Deprenyl until after the age of 30, why exactly is this? If anyone around my age has used deprenyl, could you please share your experience and what dosing protocol you may have used.

#2 winston

• 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

I'd be interested in this too. I'm 16 and will be trying it soon.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jackj

• 62 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:33 AM

Why do you want to take it?

I tried it in my early twenties and I feel it made aggressive (in a bad way). This was my personal experience and I'm not sure why I had this result but I stopped using it after about three weeks. I also recall reading some bad press about it at the time, but this was about three years ago.

Edited by jackj, 06 February 2010 - 02:54 AM.

#4 brain

• 148 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

I'd be interested in this too. I'm 16 and will be trying it soon.

There isn't any research, so in effect you're going to be your own guinea pig. In my opinion, deprenyl is a benign enough substance that it's probably not going to cause much harm. I would still wait until you're 18, It really isn't worth the risk. I'm not sure what you're expecting from deprenyl, but it's unlikely you're going to notice any subjective difference. In a month or so after talking it, you might say to yourself "huh, I haven't really been depressed at all lately, looking back.", or "homework doesn't seem quite as tough as it used to, I wonder why this is? could it be the deprenyl?". But, you're probably not going to feel any difference. It doesn't help with focus or attention, in my and in others experience.

I have a feeling inhibiting MAO-B just doesn't do very much, and although it might increase PEA, it doesn't do so enough for you to feel anything consciously. One good thing about it is that it's been shown to increase neurogenesis in the hippocampus by increasing BDNF, GDNF, and related trophic factors. This is the reason I take it. Go ahead and research the relationship between neurogenesis, depression, stress, and memory. Neurogenesis in relation to each of those things, that is.

If you were to ask me which was the safest, taking deprenyl at 16 or taking adderall or an antidepressant, I would say deprenyl. Its more useful for elderly people but it isn't that much different than other psychiatric medications, other than that it doesn't really seem to do anything. I probably have adhd-pi, so this might be part of why I don't notice much of an effect ("paradoxical" effect, so i don't notice any stimulation), where as others report do report noticing some energizing effect. It hasn't been of any help for the adhd-pi.

One reason I might think deprenyl could be better in an adolescent is because your brain is still developing, and if you add all of these tropic factors that increase neurogenesis, you're going to end up with a brain that has more distant and powerful connections once you're adult. You're tinkering with a very delicate process at a time when you're still developing, and so the other possibility (prepare to wipe up that drool) is that you might fuck something up and wind up with malformed connections/etc, after which you'll be able to do nothing about it.

Wait until you're 18 and stick to more natural measures like exercise, lots of green leafy veggies and antioxidant rich berries, maybe some green tea, fish oil, and most importantly, keep your mind as active as possible. Nootropics can't do that work for you, they can only help you along the way. Learning itself does the same thing i cited deprenyl for doing - it stimulates BDNF. I'm not sure what reasons you choosing nootropics for, but if you really want to strengthen your mind, I'd suggest a combo of daily reading and writing. If you were to start writing about what you read, this would help "externalize" your thought and develop memory. This isn't for everyone, and I don't know if you have the disposition to enjoy these things or not. If you were to start this now, I doubt you'll regret it. Consider setting a daily reading minimum for yourself, if you find that you're not focused enough with it naturally. Start with 50 pages a day, then bump it up to 100 or 200 a day. Does that sound like a lot? It is, but what you'll find is that your brain adapts and you become faster and more focused with the reading over time. Forcing your brain to adapt to extreme intellectual conditions will mold it into a very powerful shape, and trying to do this while its still developing is key, because you still have time to strengthen these connections. Once you're 20, they're probably basically fixed. Neurogenesis is limited to specific areas. Continually up the demand, but also leave room for socializing, which is just as important and which can also heighten your consciousness to new plateaus though its own means. Try keeping a journal and elaborating on your thoughts/feelings. This will probably help you more than anything you'd get in high school, at least if you're in a public school. Relying on nootropics to improve focus/intelligence/memory, etc, will not really get you very far, and may even hinder you. What's more important is building the real cognitive structure behind these capacities, all of which can be cultivated naturally. Most of what can be achieved though pharmacological means can also be achieved though non-pharmacological means. Burroughs said something along these lines, and I agree with it. The problem arises when you begin to depend on a medicine to get what you can accomplish naturally though work: that just hinders you in the long run and is not real progress. None of these drugs are amazing enough to really make any difference for most people. Some of us are trying to figure out how to get piracetam to work, but it seems close to useless at the moment.

If you did want to take a supplement, one thing I might recommend is alpha-gpc, which I think is superior to CDP-choline but which isn't as well researched. When fed to young rats, they developed "rat super-brains" with neural connections like 15x longer or something absurd like this. If you ever find yourself getting depressed, stop taking it immediately, because it is linked to this.

what are you trying to achieve with the nootropics?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 winston

• 150 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for the long write up and your good advice.

Recently I made a switch to a different school and have been doing quite a bit better with my anxiety/depression/anxiety. Before then I experimented with 10+ nootropics but didn't notice any effect from them. After a rather introspective MDMA experience (first and last time) I decided to talk to my parents about my social anxiety and ask if I could talk to a doc and see if they would recommend me antidepressants. They didn't think it was a great idea. I accepted their decision but still wanted to give SSRIs a shot, so I got some zoloft from a friend. I believe I had begun to experience some positive effects, but it was on the Christmas break between switching schools..so maybe that was it(I hated my old school and like my new one fine).
He couldn't supply me any more Zoloft so I came off that.

Anyhow for a while, even after stopping zoloft, I felt pretty good emotionally, and very motivated. I woke up and tried to accomplish as much as possible in the day, and felt really good upon completing something. I'm still feeling better that I did at the old school, but anxiety is creeping in with the occasional depression.

So basically, I'm trying deprenyl to be "at the top of my game", not anxious, depressed, and slightly unmotivated. It's not really so I can power through homework or anything. Probably going to move back to zoloft if it doesn't work.

Since leaving my old school I've started exercising, reading regularly, doing math for 2 hours a day (part of the curriculum) and plan on taking up the piano soon. Interestingly with reading..though I get good grades in writing/reading projects and scored in the 99th percentile in reading comprehension on the PSAT, my mind wanders really really easily when I sit down with a book. Often like 10 minutes per page.

Journaling is probably a good idea ya, I think I may take that up.

That's probably way too in depth, owell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users