Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Virtual Lab

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 12 June 2004 - 09:27 AM

Ok dudes,

I'm setting up a Virtual Lab. It's mission is to research methods and strategies of novel research into aging based on extending mitochondrial lifespan with a view to developing IP and publication quality research. Participants will share naming and share rights to any patent filed and publication.

Looking for experts in the following:

- Mitochondria
- Viral Delivery Vehicles
- DNA Repair Enzymes

You need at least a BS to participate (if you're in your final year let me know your majors). You also need access to a computer that is connected to the Internet. Access to a lab is welcome but not essential. Expect to spend up to 8 hours per week.

Duration: 1 semester (July 25 - October 25)

At the very least you can expect to come out of this with some very state of the art knowledge. At best you can share in the filing of a patent and have publication naming rights.

#2 ddhewitt

• 168 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:18 PM

I am a molecular biologist by trade and am interested in your project.

I have a Master's degree and about seven years work experience in industry.

I have some experience with Adenovirus vectors and with developing methods to integrate genes into the genome of gram positive bacteria and mice.

Duane

• Lurker

Posted 13 June 2004 - 04:09 PM

Thanks Duane, what in your opinion, would be the best vector constructs for targeting recombinant plasmids into heart and brain tissue?

#4 ddhewitt

• 168 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:49 AM

I would try to restrict expression of the transgenes to the target cell types rather than restrict the viral vector. Therefore other cells may be infected but tissue specific promoters would not be expressed except in the heart and neural tissue.

Of the top of my head I would probably use Adenovirus vectors because they are the most worked out.

Duane

• Lurker

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:37 AM

Ok lets target the brain. Supposing we ignored all the virally mediated technology, what about liposome-encapsulated (pegylated immunoliposomes) plasmid DNA, delivered intravascularly? I know these are not as efficient as viruses by one or two orders of magnitude but we don't have the issues of dealing with viral vectors (such as possible brain inflammation). Now supposing we used synapsin as the tissue specific promoter for neurons and CMV for glia and an mAb , say transferrin, bound to the liposome for transversing the BBB via receptor mediated transcytosis.

I know I have not specified the plasmid cargo as yet. Assume around 10k of insert. We don't go to maximum insert size because we can carry the genes in say 2 or 3 different plasmids if need be.

Can you prepare a rough protocol outline?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users