Photo
- - - - -

Former Prez soon to be killed by his incompetent doctors

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

Jeez, those are pretty good numbers for a president. Healthiest prez: William Howard Taft.

In high school American history, my teacher told us, "William Howard Taft ..... all you need to know about this guy was that he was so fat he got stuck in a bath tub."

#122 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:17 AM

I want to avoid casein, but I find it harder to do. I buy/choose goat dairy products whenever I can, because the casein appears to be closer to human casein. But, I still eat cow's cheese and use cow's heavy cream milk for my decaf coffee. Since I measure my inflammation and numerous other blood markers, if I ever see a concerning rise in any value, I will likely drop casein to see if that's the cause.

Any specific reason for using Decaf coffee? Don't espresso and such provide some health benefits?

Don't like caffeine headaches if I can't get a coffee for whatever reason. Anyway, I don't need caffeine--I just like the taste of coffee.

you're aware the cocoa you eat has alot of caffeine, right?

#123 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:15 AM

I want to avoid casein, but I find it harder to do. I buy/choose goat dairy products whenever I can, because the casein appears to be closer to human casein. But, I still eat cow's cheese and use cow's heavy cream milk for my decaf coffee. Since I measure my inflammation and numerous other blood markers, if I ever see a concerning rise in any value, I will likely drop casein to see if that's the cause.

Any specific reason for using Decaf coffee? Don't espresso and such provide some health benefits?

Don't like caffeine headaches if I can't get a coffee for whatever reason. Anyway, I don't need caffeine--I just like the taste of coffee.

Not a lot. Google is your friend.

Cocoa derived from the seeds of the Theobroma cocoa plant (or cocoa beans) is used in making chocolate milk, hot cocoa, and various confections. It contains small amounts of caffeine, plus large amounts of theobromine, another alkaloid in the xanthine family. Theobromine is classified as a mild central nervous system stimulant and has physiological effects similar to those of caffeine, but much weaker. The average cup of hot cocoa contains about 10 mg of caffeine but over 200 mg of theobromine. A 3 1/2 ounce chocolate bar contains approximately 12 mg of caffeine and 155 mg of theobromine.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#124 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:13 AM

Not a lot. Google is your friend.

Cocoa derived from the seeds of the Theobroma cocoa plant (or cocoa beans) is used in making chocolate milk, hot cocoa, and various confections. It contains small amounts of caffeine, plus large amounts of theobromine, another alkaloid in the xanthine family. Theobromine is classified as a mild central nervous system stimulant and has physiological effects similar to those of caffeine, but much weaker. The average cup of hot cocoa contains about 10 mg of caffeine but over 200 mg of theobromine. A 3 1/2 ounce chocolate bar contains approximately 12 mg of caffeine and 155 mg of theobromine.

I saw this information before but was hesitant to believe it due to my reactions to cocoa. Granted it could have been a interaction between theobromine and some supplemets I take for anxiety but I have a theory that the caffeine in cocoa is more efficacious than the caffeine in coffee (or maybe something in the cocoa makes the caffeine take effect more). Dark chocolate always seems to increase my pulse rate and anxiety level for some reason in any event if I eat more than one or two blocks on rare occassions. It's a shame too because I love the taste of it.

Edited by TheFountain, 05 March 2010 - 05:17 AM.

#125 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

In the presidential health news, there is speculation that Obama may be using Provigil for jet lag. Our first nootropic using president?
http://www.thedailyb...tery-drug/full/

#126 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

In the presidential health news, there is speculation that Obama may be using Provigil for jet lag. Our first nootropic using president?
http://www.thedailyb...tery-drug/full/

By the way, taking Provigil with any kind of heart condition is very unwise. It is a kind of stimulant, and even mild conditions that can go undetected, like mitral valve prolapse, are a contraindication (how many guys here had a heart checkup before taking modafinil, hmm?? ;) )

The bad medical treatment of even highest ranking people with premature stents is concerning. LEF even had Clinton's health problems featured on the title page some years ago. apparently he ignored their advice.

Ironically, many cardiac patients who are worse off and do not qualify for cardiac surgery have better survival due to using the four major standard non-surgical treatments: diuretics (life extending), ACE inhibitor (life extending), calcium channel inhibitor (Verapamil induces mTOR!), anticoagulation (unless done with too much rat poison, err warfarin). Most people here know this, but just to re-emphasize: all stents and other vascular surgery options promote endothelial inflammation, i.e. the root cause of heart disease, and should be an ultima ratio.

Even though probably only a handful of people do this, using those four therapy options together with Vitamin D, EPA/DHA, improving mitochondrial funciton by CoQ10/RALA/ALCAR, and natural lipid control should be the current gold standard in terms of reduced mortality and increased functionality/quality of life, at least for the common age-related atherosclerotic vascular heart disease. I'll even wager that anything else that comes close will have to be based on SENS-style reversal of cellular aging factors.

#127 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

how are supplements able to reverse heart disease????? stenting and angioplasties do improve quality of life and survival, but I haven't come across any supplement that will actually improve survival in heart disease. agreed, diet and exercise will slow disease progression, but supplements, imo, do little in the way of reversing atherosclerosis and arteriosclerosis...

Edited by medicineman, 16 March 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#128 phernandez

• 33 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

While we're on the topic of presidents and how they keep themselves healthy, I'd be interested to know your opinion Duke on Qigong. Former President George Bush Sr. is known to have consulted this qigong master Yan Xin and praised his miraculous abilities.

http://www.yanxinqigong.net/

He seems kind of hoaxy, kind of disinfo'ey, but at the same time, also credible.

One thing though, that worries me slightly is that our govt officials are consulting foreign qigong masters rather than domestic ones. The reason I say this is that no healer I've known will heal or teach without some token exchange of energy. Could there be an energy exchange in the form of a political outcome? I'll leave that to the conspiracy theory forums.

It is just slightly creepy the concept of real people saving lives with their bare hands, not unlike satan giving an 'extension' on the movie Constantine. ;)

#129 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

how are supplements able to reverse heart disease????? stenting and angioplasties do improve quality of life and survival, but I haven't come across any supplement that will actually improve survival in heart disease. agreed, diet and exercise will slow disease progression, but supplements, imo, do little in the way of reversing atherosclerosis and arteriosclerosis...

I suggest studying up on vitamin K2 (MK7)

#130 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

1. Fish oil consumption reduces all-cause-mortality by 20% and up to 45% for cardiac causes: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12438303
2. CoQ10 reverses reduced ejection fraction and increases survival in congestive heart failure: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19966871
3. Pomegranate (and several other antioxidant supplements) can reverse atherosclerotic lesions by as much as 20% and more after some months of use and healthy lifestyle: http://www.lef.org/m...egranate_01.htm http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17014835

Just an example, there are serveral more findings like these out there... horribly underrecognized by the medical establishment.

#131 PhDStudent

• 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

interesting thread. I'm currently changing my diet, and carbs are almost out. I'll keep low carbs veggies like greens, avocados, onions. maybe some berries, but not much fruits. so i need to go up in protein and fats. Now I cant decide exactly how to break things down. For example the so called optimal diet is protein:fat:carbs of 2:5-7:1 (as energy) , and i think they further break fat as sat:mufa:pufa like 50:40:10 not counting trans. i think paleo would be lower in sat fat than that. but barely any long chain PUFA, so that leaves me with either more LA, ALA, AA or more MUFA (or just less fat altogether). Dr William Davis is more like that, he is not such a fan of sat fat.
one of his reply on his blog is

Dr. William Davis said...
Oils = olive oil, flaxseed oil, canola oil (yes, yes, I know), avocado, almond, oils from raw nuts and meats.

No polyunsaturates here. You've go the wrong guy.

Except oilve oil and meat, of course all the others are mostly PUFA. Sometimes he says really stupid things. Dr Kurt G Harris on his website has a so called panu approach where fish oils are only taken if one cheats on the diet and eats an unbalanced source of omega 6 (ie pretty much never). Sat fats are very high in his plan. Evolutionary speaking, his approach seems to me the least nonsense. But since I think i might have familial hypercholesterolemia, i still want to be careful with too much sat fats (even though i dont believe that much in the lipid hypothesis). Dr Davis says he has many patients with genetically high small LDL or Lp(a), and his description of what they typically look like does not look like me much but still because of lots of LDL in my family i dont want to discard that possibility now.

Also, about 10 days ago i took 90g of MCT oil (first time i tried it) and got a pretty big chest pain the next day* after exercising, which scared me.

All in all, I dont know what to do about fish oil, and about what fats to consume in general.

Edit: * this is not completely accurate, see my post below for details

Edited by PhDStudent, 21 March 2010 - 10:34 PM.

#132 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

Also, about 10 days ago i took 90g of MCT oil (first time i tried it) and got a pretty big chest pain the next day after exercising, which scared me.

All in all, I dont know what to do about fish oil, and about what fats to consume in general.

90g is kind of a lot of MCT. I use about a tablespoon of coconut oil every day, maybe a little more or less. That's maybe 10 grams, -ish. How was your digestion at the time? I'd be a lot more suspicious of a little heartburn than a sudden case of angina. Might have just been an MCT OD. I wouldn't dive into hardcore paleo. Take your time and learn about lipids and macronutrients in general. Olive oil is good. Coconut oil is good. Don't fear animal fat. High-PUFA vegetable oils are not something that I want, though there are intelligent people here who are pro-PUFA. A couple grams of fish oil a day is pretty much a no-brainer. People can obtain great lipid profiles on diets that are very easy to do while still having a social life. In other words, you don't have to be in ketosis to be healthy. I try to eat a pretty good amount of healthy carbs, but I really try to keep sugars minimized.

#133 PhDStudent

• 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Also, about 10 days ago i took 90g of MCT oil (first time i tried it) and got a pretty big chest pain the next day after exercising, which scared me.

90g is kind of a lot of MCT. I use about a tablespoon of coconut oil every day, maybe a little more or less. That's maybe 10 grams, -ish. How was your digestion at the time? I'd be a lot more suspicious of a little heartburn than a sudden case of angina. Might have just been an MCT OD. I wouldn't dive into hardcore paleo. Take your time and learn about lipids and macronutrients in general. Olive oil is good. Coconut oil is good. Don't fear animal fat. High-PUFA vegetable oils are not something that I want, though there are intelligent people here who are pro-PUFA. A couple grams of fish oil a day is pretty much a no-brainer. People can obtain great lipid profiles on diets that are very easy to do while still having a social life. In other words, you don't have to be in ketosis to be healthy. I try to eat a pretty good amount of healthy carbs, but I really try to keep sugars minimized.

thanks for the feedbacks. "fish oil is pretty much a no brainer" this is what I used to think but im not sure anymore. Maybe people have argued that all PUFA are toxic (immunosuppressive, cancergenic, causing hypoxia, etc) in higher dose. Cordain thinks we would only have gotten about 0.3g of DHA and of EPA daily. Thats is no fish oil. I'm starting to wonder if the theory of Dr Harris, and of others like Stephan Guyenet of whole food source, that added omega 3 is only good for those who are taking too much omega 6.

about the heart burn, would it not have occured sooner? i did feel some light intestine pain right in the hours after consumption. The next day i felt completely clogged up. the second day i ate eggs and ground bison for breakfast thinking to clear things up, and a few hours worked out. after that is when i spent the evening wondering if i should go to the emergency ;) I have read studies where they gave 90g of MCT to people to analyze performance, and no mention of intolerance. I'm not going against MCT, just trying to figure out why my body reacted like that..

what do you think is wrong with paleo? (social life is not a problem for me)

#134 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:06 AM

about the heart burn, would it not have occured sooner? i did feel some light intestine pain right in the hours after consumption. The next day i felt completely clogged up. the second day i ate eggs and ground bison for breakfast thinking to clear things up, and a few hours worked out. after that is when i spent the evening wondering if i should go to the emergency ;) I have read studies where they gave 90g of MCT to people to analyze performance, and no mention of intolerance. I'm not going against MCT, just trying to figure out why my body reacted like that..

Is this your first time trying out a low-carb diet? I found the transition to be HARSH to say the least at first. You may find it less painful to keep your carbs in the 80-100g range while you work on the elimination of the processed foods and grains. Jumping right into ketosis can be painful especially if you've never put your body into that mode before. Not sure about the heartburn though. Heartburn disappeared quickly from my body once the grains were taken away. I eat quite a bit of coconut oil.

#135 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

thanks for the feedbacks. "fish oil is pretty much a no brainer" this is what I used to think but im not sure anymore. Maybe people have argued that all PUFA are toxic (immunosuppressive, cancergenic, causing hypoxia, etc) in higher dose. Cordain thinks we would only have gotten about 0.3g of DHA and of EPA daily. Thats is no fish oil. I'm starting to wonder if the theory of Dr Harris, and of others like Stephan Guyenet of whole food source, that added omega 3 is only good for those who are taking too much omega 6.

Our diets have lost a lot of n-3 FAs in the past 50-60 years, while at the same time our use of n-6 oils has skyrocketed. I'm just thinking about improving the n-3 to n-6 ratio. Two grams of a non-concentrated fish oil really isn't that much. If you're eating free-range birds, fish, and grass-fed animals, and you're avoiding vegetable oils, you probably don't need fish oil. It's conceivable that you had a little reflux disease where the symptoms didn't become obvious until you worked out, but that's just a speculation. It could have been all sorts of things. The existing wisdom seems to be that getting used to the keto state can be a little rough. As for paleo, that would depend on how extreme it is. We've been consuming good quality carbs for a very long time, and they have a place in most diets. I think getting away from gluten grains is justified for many people, but tossing out the yams and the squash seems like an error.

#136 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

Our diets have lost a lot of n-3 FAs in the past 50-60 years, while at the same time our use of n-6 oils has skyrocketed. I'm just thinking about improving the n-3 to n-6 ratio. Two grams of a non-concentrated fish oil really isn't that much. If you're eating free-range birds, fish, and grass-fed animals, and you're avoiding vegetable oils, you probably don't need fish oil.

This is exactly my thoughts. My omega-3 supplementation is purely to improve my ratio. This is primarily for two reasons, firstly I think it was heart scan blog where a reader who was mostly paleo and even eating grass fed beef had a test of their omega-3:omega-6 ratios in their tissue and still had quite an imbalance. The second leads on from the first, just like a grain-fed cow having imbalance in the their tissues from their diet, I have only in the last 6 months began eating a reduced omega-6 diet (+ omega-3 supplementation). So I feel I most likely still have some correcting to do.

I think ultimately testing is probably the best approach here, and I aim to get it done once I have settled into a more stable baseline diet and supplementation (been spending too much time in the supplements forum im getting addicted)

#137 PhDStudent

• 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:53 AM

omega 6 have increased dramatically in the typical diet, no doubt about that. but how many people here eat the typical american diet.. Also I think most people on the heart scan blog eat quite a bit of PUFA, due the Dr Harris suggestion (as posted above). And if you eat many eggs from grain fed chicken, that can easily throw off your ratio.

i dont know much about indigestions, but 9 days later, ie today while running i still had a slight compression feeling in the chest (but yesterday was fine, and my current fast seemed to have helped a lot) what im kind of worried about is that since last september i intended to do well but was misinformed and took much fish oils (many days at 6-10 tsp of Carlson), and more recently some hempseed oil and flaxseed oil. Then right after christmas at some point i took 50 000iu of vit a and quickly got chest pain (first time ever). i didnt know it was vit a, but took 50 000 iu a few weeks later and got it again. then changed brand and took 30 000iu and got it yet again (each time like 2 days). but i have many vit a deficiency symptoms like low mucus secretion and dry, painful eyes. now i take 10 000iu at the time and its fine. but its not normal, and the mct oil thing isnt either. it feels like i totally clogged up with arteries but i cant really see from what except fish oils (and too much wheat, sugars, etc)

But if I understand both of you, you basically agree that omega 3 are only good to compensate for omega 6 and if one gets a good ratio in his diet then you wouldnt take cod liver oil, even for its alleged cardiovascular protection?

#138 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:29 AM

The former President will benefit a lot from having more sex. I hope he's getting laid. (Hillary doesn't count)

#139 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:39 AM

The former President will benefit a lot from having more sex. I hope he's getting laid. (Hillary doesn't count)

That's one issue you can probably stop worrying about.

Edited by rwac, 22 March 2010 - 03:39 AM.

#140 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:58 AM

omega 6 have increased dramatically in the typical diet, no doubt about that. but how many people here eat the typical american diet.. Also I think most people on the heart scan blog eat quite a bit of PUFA, due the Dr Harris suggestion (as posted above). And if you eat many eggs from grain fed chicken, that can easily throw off your ratio.

i dont know much about indigestions, but 9 days later, ie today while running i still had a slight compression feeling in the chest (but yesterday was fine, and my current fast seemed to have helped a lot) what im kind of worried about is that since last september i intended to do well but was misinformed and took much fish oils (many days at 6-10 tsp of Carlson), and more recently some hempseed oil and flaxseed oil. Then right after christmas at some point i took 50 000iu of vit a and quickly got chest pain (first time ever). i didnt know it was vit a, but took 50 000 iu a few weeks later and got it again. then changed brand and took 30 000iu and got it yet again (each time like 2 days). but i have many vit a deficiency symptoms like low mucus secretion and dry, painful eyes. now i take 10 000iu at the time and its fine. but its not normal, and the mct oil thing isnt either. it feels like i totally clogged up with arteries but i cant really see from what except fish oils (and too much wheat, sugars, etc)

But if I understand both of you, you basically agree that omega 3 are only good to compensate for omega 6 and if one gets a good ratio in his diet then you wouldnt take cod liver oil, even for its alleged cardiovascular protection?

You are describing a history of overdosing on supplements, some of which may be harming you. You should probably be more cautious with the quantities that you're using. Fish oil is a really cheap and effective way to get n-3 FAs. You can get them from food but it will be expensive. Cod liver oil isn't that great a source of n-3's, and I would worry about excessive pre-formed vitamin A.

#141 PhDStudent

• 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

Billy is getting lots of wild sex with his daughter's girlfriends? ;)

overdosing on supplements - I had never heard of such thing, but I suppose that is totally a possibility. Can you elaborate or post links? thx
  • dislike x 1

#142 adamh

• 1,012 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

I love the title of this thread! It sounds like a recommendation that he be killed. :) some would say most politicians deserve killing. He certainly killed his share.
  • dislike x 2

#143 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

Clinton revealed his new eating habits post-stent in an interview with CNN.
http://www.newser.co...nton-vegan.html
"I live on a plant-based diet. I live on beans, legumes, vegetables, fruit. I drink a protein supplement every morning. No dairy,” he said. “It changed my whole metabolism and I lost 24 pounds, and I got back to basically what I weighed in high school.”
He then referenced Dean Ornish and The China study. It's unclear if he gets any grains. Not exactly the best, but better than going to McDonalds all the time I guess, though I would imagine he ate at nice restaurants all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users