- - - - -

New Regional Forums

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

we should be consolidating regional forums, not making more. Does every tribe get a forum because they don't want to be lumped in with others in their geographic region?

If we are providing space for specific transhumanist/immortalist groups located in various regions that is a different story, but I still dont see why they can't occupy a subforum in a region (ie "Middle East"... subforum "Israeli H+ chapter" etc.).

Also a different story if someone is actually going to use a subforum as a vehicle to recruit in various locales with content generated specific to such. Quite frankly I dont see the that happening.

though I've been wrong before. Do whatever you want.

Edited by eternaltraveler, 11 March 2010 - 12:23 AM.

#32 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

we should be consolidating regional forums, not making more. Does every tribe get a forum because they don't want to be lumped in with others in their geographic region?

If we are providing space for specific transhumanist/immortalist groups located in various regions that is a different story, but I still dont see why they can't occupy a subforum in a region (ie "Middle East"... subforum "Israeli H+ chapter" etc.).

Also a different story if someone is actually going to use a subforum as a vehicle to recruit in various locales with content generated specific to such. Quite frankly I dont see the that happening.

though I've been wrong before. Do whatever you want.

This makes a good case for making them primarily language forums like Caliban says. I think Ilia has already classified them for the most part in this way. We'll have to wait and see what he says. This also adds to the case for keeping the US and Canada lumped together.

Perhaps we can revise the regions in this way, and then only list and link chapters for english speaking areas at /chapters for now. That would make it easier.

#33 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Caliban: We could also be clear about whether these are primarily regional or primarily language forums. Probably the former.

No forums should exist with fewer than ~7 posts except during a trial period.

I think it should be both. There are large regions where many languages are spoken (e.g. Middle East) and dominant languages spoken in many regions (English). The proposed list attempts to incorporate both these factors, in order to give people from every part of the world or language a representation. Therefore, I believe the new regional forums should be included, even if they appear empty for some time, just for the sake of inclusiveness. I believe, in the proposed forums list, there will be only 2 such relatively unoccupied sub-forums: Forum Portugues and Africa. For the rest we have ready posts in the general “regional section”. Still I think the latter two forums should be included. According to Mind’s data, Portugal is one of the top visiting countries and Portuguese is one of the world’s most wide-spread languages. And the need to include Africa seems to be obvious. I believe, for these two forums, we can for now just post the “Chapter announcement” and perhaps some links.

Eternaltraveler: We should be consolidating regional forums, not making more. Does every tribe get a forum because they don't want to be lumped in with others in their geographic region?

The proposed list also attempts to emphasize cooperation within particular regions: e.g. “Middle East” instead of just “Israel”. In this regard, “USA and Canada” would make sense as well. And also “UK and Ireland” instead of just UK (Ireland is one of the top visiting countries).

Brokenportal: The second part looks good, with the short description, and the town, name, etc... Have each one in its topic in english, and have each one translated. I would go line by line, other language, english, other, english, etc... Remember to link each spot that says "suggested agendas" up to the suggested agendas topic, and add in any other opportunities there may be to link.

OK. The plan is then to post one or several such revised chapter announcements in each new (and old) regional forums first in English. And then try to have them translated into other languages. I can translate it into Russian and Hebrew, and then perhaps ask some ImmInst members who speak other languages to make more translations and post them in the chapters topics. And we will link to http://www.imminst.o...das-t36584.html and elsewhere. But at the same time we will also need to list some agendas there as a primer.

Brokenportal: As for the first part you have there, that looks alright. Ive been thinking about how all this info fits best, what do you think about proposing to include that in the form of an open letter in the http://imminst.org/about section, and then link to the about section at imminst.org/chapters?

I think it would be great. But still, in addition to the link, I would post the announcement in full in the specific Chapters topics, so people can have the entire info. Or, alternatively, just post the second part, preceded by a link to the first part, to make it shorter. Either way could work.

Brokenportal: Ok now, as to the word 'chapters'. I was thinking how imminst.org/regions might work in here instead of /chapters. But I dont think that either would cover for the other, and that if we went that way we should probably consider creating both. However at this time I suggest we stick with chapters, and think about possibly creating /regions later. Chapters may be all we need, because although some people may not know what it means, in advertisements for it people could write to go to whatever they want to call it, say, in spanish, "Find your local region or group discussion about unlimited lifespans at imminst.org/chapters" Even though its at /chapters, the description would include the word that the people that speak that language are more familiar with. Do you think that will work well enough?

Caliban: There should be name consistency -- maybe just leave the region names, take out the 'forum' and 'group'

I agree. Just “chapters” would be enough. And this will also relate to what Caliban said about the term consistency. I believe, from the chapter announcement, people will understand that all these terms refer to the same thing: regional organizations, whether we call them chapters, groups, forums, etc. As the forums will be the first venue for interaction, some mention of them should perhaps be left in the announcement. But I agree that “Regional Groups/Chapters” sounds a bit awkward. How about just “Regional Chapters”, and then, as you say, this can still be understood and translated into other languages as people see fit.

Brokenportal: All this though will still leave the /about and the /chapters page untranslated, because we can only really fit one translation on those pages. However, I think we can remedy this by making "Translate the about and the chapters page in pinned topics in your regional section," one of the first and most prominent agenda items that we suggest.

Yes, this could be the solution. The request to translate can be pinned, listed in the agenda, and can also conclude the chapter announcements that are posted in the specific regional forums.

Brokenportal: This makes a good case for making them primarily language forums like Caliban says. I think Ilia has already classified them for the most part in this way. We'll have to wait and see what he says. This also adds to the case for keeping the US and Canada lumped together.

Perhaps we can revise the regions in this way, and then only list and link chapters for english speaking areas at /chapters for now. That would make it easier.

I think the “chapters” page can be in English only, but should link to all the regional forums. The breakdown into specific countries on that chapters page is still to be finalized. It shouldn’t be too long, but should still be representative. On the chapters page we could just list the 14 (or 16) forums. Or we could list the 14/16 forums, each followed by a few larger/top visiting countries.

Edited by ilia, 11 March 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#34 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

I think it should be both. There are large regions where many languages are spoken ........................... And the need to include Africa seems to be obvious. I believe, for these two forums, we can for now just post the “Chapter announcement” and perhaps some links.

Sounds good.

The proposed list also attempts to emphasize cooperation within particular regions: e.g. “Middle East” instead of just “Israel”. In this regard, “USA and Canada” would make sense as well. And also “UK and Ireland” instead of just UK (Ireland is one of the top visiting countries).

Sounds good. We can always tweak it later if we feel a need to.

OK. The plan is then to post one or several such revised chapter announcements in each new (and old) regional forums first in English. And then try to have them translated into other languages. I can translate it into Russian and Hebrew, and then perhaps ask some ImmInst members who speak other languages to make more translations and post them in the chapters topics. And we will link to http://www.imminst.o...das-t36584.html and elsewhere. But at the same time we will also need to list some agendas there as a primer.

Alright, sounds good. I did this, had people translate the ones we have already, but youll want to do this again. So then you are willing to search out somebody to translate each one, or task it out, to make sure each one gets translated soon then right?

I think it would be great. But still, in addition to the link, I would post the announcement in full in the specific Chapters topics, so people can have the entire info. Or, alternatively, just post the second part, preceded by a link to the first part, to make it shorter. Either way could work.

Hmm, I guess I would post the first part in /chapters and then link it like you say (hopefully also merged with the about section in some way). Then later, although it wont be very uniform, we can have the translations of that /chapters page posted in pinned topics in their respective regional sections, and then linked from their chapter topics.

I agree. Just “chapters” would be enough. And this will also relate to what Caliban said about the term consistency. I believe, from the chapter announcement, people will understand that all these terms refer to the same thing: regional organizations, whether we call them chapters, groups, forums, etc. As the forums will be the first venue for interaction, some mention of them should perhaps be left in the announcement. But I agree that “Regional Groups/Chapters” sounds a bit awkward. How about just “Regional Chapters”, and then, as you say, this can still be understood and translated into other languages as people see fit.

Sounds good.

Yes, this could be the solution. The request to translate can be pinned, listed in the agenda, and can also conclude the chapter announcements that are posted in the specific regional forums.

What I mean is not put the request to translate /chapters page in each topic, but list it in the suggested agendas topic, and rather than conclude each chapter announcement with it, I would just let the "suggested agendas" link with in them cover that.
(then the request to translate the chapters topic announcements themselves earlier in this response, I would do one on one by pm'ing people. You could include the request in the preliminary english versions too if you really want to.)

I think the “chapters” page can be in English only, but should link to all the regional forums. The breakdown into specific countries on that chapters page is still to be finalized. It shouldn’t be too long, but should still be representative. On the chapters page we could just list the 14 (or 16) forums. Or we could list the 14/16 forums, each followed by a few larger/top visiting countries.

Right, English only, but request to translate linked from each chapters topic, in the agenda topic. I would just do the 14 on the /chapters page. All other areas can/will be created as people fill out those chapters sign up forms. Lets say that 2 people get going and canvas Columbus Ohio with flyers leading to /chapters, and we get 2 people to fill out the chapters form. We would then start an Ohio Chapters topic, and a Columbus Chapters, and link the Ohio topic with in the US/Canada Chapters topic, and then link the Columbus topic with in the Ohio Chapters topic. It might sound a little complex, but I think it really actually helps make it a lot simpler.

#35 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

Ok, I have implemented the forums layout roughly as suggested.

A few changes:
1) While promoting harmony is good, we can't just rename the Israel forum to middle east. Thats not a true reflection of the community forum that it is.

2) Empty 'goodwill' forums, however noble, are not worth creating. Based on the stats, I am persuaded that we can give India & Asia a spin for a couple of weeks, and while the portugese forum is almost certain to go, it at least has the draw of a specific language... but there is no evidence that the Africa forum would be used. We'll set one up if there are complaints.

#36 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

Caliban: Ok, I have implemented the forums layout roughly as suggested.

This looks excellent. Thanks. I was going to move the general regional topics to the new forums, but I see you have already done this. So I will move a couple more, and start right away with posting chapter announcements and translations. Hopefully, within the next few days.

Caliban: A few changes:
1) While promoting harmony is good, we can't just rename the Israel forum to middle east. Thats not a true reflection of the community forum that it is.

Absolutely. The name that you gave is much more accurate, but inclusive. And generally the list looks great, precise and concise.

Caliban: 2) Empty 'goodwill' forums, however noble, are not worth creating. Based on the stats, I am persuaded that we can give India & Asia a spin for a couple of weeks, and while the portugese forum is almost certain to go, it at least has the draw of a specific language... but there is no evidence that the Africa forum would be used. We'll set one up if there are complaints.

I would still insist on including Africa. I believe the 2 relatively unused forums will not take up too much space, but will provide the immediate benefit of appearing non-discriminatory. Otherwise, it looks like we include everybody, except for Africa. As was generally suggested at the initiation of the chapters project, the project was designed to provide a platform for new regional groups, even as a preemptive strategy, and as a basis to start an outreach effort in the particular regions. These 2 or 3 less used forums will provide exactly such a platform for future outreach and participation.

In the meantime, I could just post the chapter announcements and some links in these 2 forums, and try to invite people into them. I know some people from a transhumanist group who operate in Kenya, Ruanda and Burundi, and I will ask them to provide some content. But even if such efforts fail, there will still the benefits of inclusiveness and the platform for future growth.

Brokenportal: So then you are willing to search out somebody to translate each one, or task it out, to make sure each one gets translated soon then right?

Yes I am willing to do so. If you could let me know of people who agreed to translate in the past (perhaps via skype), I will start bothering them first :|o (Or I could just see who did the existing translations in the regional forums). Also, if there are any lists of people who already registered for the chapters, it would be great to have those lists as well.

Brokenportal: What I mean is not put the request to translate /chapters page in each topic, but list it in the suggested agendas topic, and rather than conclude each chapter announcement with it, I would just let the "suggested agendas" link with in them cover that.
(then the request to translate the chapters topic announcements themselves earlier in this response, I would do one on one by pm'ing people. You could include the request in the preliminary english versions too if you really want to.)

Sounds good.

Brokenportal: Right, English only, but request to translate linked from each chapters topic, in the agenda topic. I would just do the 14 on the /chapters page. All other areas can/will be created as people fill out those chapters sign up forms. Lets say that 2 people get going and canvas Columbus Ohio with flyers leading to /chapters, and we get 2 people to fill out the chapters form. We would then start an Ohio Chapters topic, and a Columbus Chapters, and link the Ohio topic with in the US/Canada Chapters topic, and then link the Columbus topic with in the Ohio Chapters topic. It might sound a little complex, but I think it really actually helps make it a lot simpler.

This could work great. We don’t need to set up tens and hundreds of local sub-forums. But within the broader regions, any number of chapters can be established with such specific topics. So, I guess what’s left to do in this regard, is to replace the present list of countries at http://imminst.org/chapters with the new list of forums, link from the chapters page to the regional forums, and link from ImmInst home page to that chapters page for visibility, and we are set to go.

#37 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

I would still insist on including Africa.

I know some people from a transhumanist group who operate in Kenya, Ruanda and Burundi, and I will ask them to provide some content.

As you insist and are in charge of this initiative, the forum has been created. Please be braced for it being pulled later this year though.

Otherwise, it looks like we include everybody, except for Africa.

We don't include South America or Greenland. We don't include Titan. Because no one is posting from these regions about these regions atm.
IMO clicking on Africa and finding a single post is much more damaging than not finding it listed.

#38 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

As you insist and are in charge of this initiative, the forum has been created. Please be braced for it being pulled later this year though.
We don't include South America or Greenland. We don't include Titan. Because no one is posting from these regions about these regions atm.
IMO clicking on Africa and finding a single post is much more damaging than not finding it listed.

Thanks. I see your point. (By the way “South America” and “Greenland” are now covered by Espanol and Scandinavia :-D Still, with these forums, there will now be at least a place where I can refer people and ask them to post. We’ll see how this develops. I have to do some urgent assignment now, but will be back in a few days, posting chapter announcements and translations.

In the hope to make our movement truly international!

Edited by ilia, 14 March 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#39 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

The only thing I would consider is having a stand-alone forum for India, since it is has a large population, and traffic has increased lately. Although it would be prudent to see what type of traffic develops in that forum.

#40 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

The only thing I would consider is having a stand-alone forum for India, since it is has a large population, and traffic has increased lately. Although it would be prudent to see what type of traffic develops in that forum.

I agree. Let’s see how the traffic and participation develop. Eventually, creating a forum for India could be a great idea. Unlike China, there seems to be no Indian transhumanist network. So that would be the first. Also, there is perhaps no stronger tradition of life-extensionism than in India. Let’s just start some discussions in the combined “Asia & India” forum, and see how it goes from there.

I think we need to realize that participation from regions such as Asia and Africa may not come of itself, for a number of reasons. It needs to be encouraged through a dedicated outreach effort. As a first step, I am planning to send a pm to ImmInst members from particular countries and invite them to the new forums, and then perhaps post some announcements at friendly LE/H+ groups.

#41 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

About 2 months ago, we set a tentative initial plan to develop the regional forums/chapters project (please see above):

I am happy to report that the first 5 steps of the plan have been completed. Thank you very much Eric for your leadership! And thank you very much Mind and Caliban for your crucial support!

1) Set up a revised group of regional forums: 14 or 16 (depending on whether to create separate forums for Canada and India, there seems to be some controversy about the former):

1) Australia & New Zealand. 2) USA. 3) Canada. 4) Dutch Group. 5) German Group. 6) Scandinavian Forum. 7) UK & Ireland. 8) Forum Francophone (French). 9) Forum Italiano.10) Foro Español. 11) Fórum Português (Portuguese). 12) Asia Region. 13) India. 14) Russia & East Europe. 15) Middle East. 16) Africa.

2) Move to these new/revised forums all the scattered old posts that are now in the general “regions” sections.

3) Revise the “Chapter announcement” to include some brief Intro on why supporting life-extension, imminst and local chapters is important, based on existing promotional materials. I think it should be less than a page, or even half a page, so it could be used as a hand-out, more readily translated and posted.

4) Post such revised “Chapter announcements” in the regional forums, at least for the larger and top visiting countries, inviting people not only to register for the chapter, but also (perhaps even most importantly) to take part in the specific regional/country topics discussions.

5) Link from the ImmInst/chapters page
http://imminst.org/chapters
to the new regional forums. I think that the ImmInst/chapters page should list the new regional forums, followed by subcategories for at least the larger/top visiting countries (see a potential list of regional break-downs above).

Also set up a direct link from ImmInst home page to the “ImmInst.org/chapters”. Otherwise, the chapter page would be pretty much invisible.

6) After all this is set in place, find people in ImmInst from particular countries
With “Toggle more options” here
http://www.imminst.o...10-posters.html

And send them a pm/email inviting them to join the chapters and/or regional/country forums and topics, or perhaps ask them to translate the chapter announcement into their languages.

Now the real work will need to begin in step 6, namely the practical outreach to people in different regions to promote participation and interest.

Will be grateful for any suggestions on further developing the regional forums/chapters project.

Ilia.

Edited by ilia, 30 April 2010 - 08:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users