• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Supplements to aid healing of broken bones?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brundall

• 97 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

My wife unfortunately broke her knee cap skating last week and has just had surgery to repair the bone (2 screws & wire). I was just wondering if there were any supplements you guys would recommend to help in the healing of the bone and secondly to help in the healing of the surgical scars. She is 41 years old and otherwise in good health. Currently she is taking the following:

Vitamin D 2000iu/day
Calcium 1000mg/day
Vitamin K complex (LEF)
Magnesium 400 mg/day
Multi Vitamin
Greens Food drink once daily.

Any to add to this list for bone health? & are there any supplements to help the scars heal?

#2 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

Well, here is a list of suggestions, almost all with very poor evidence:
http://www.vitacost....nd-Healing.aspx

Also, silicon in a bioavailable form such as biosil likely is useful for both skin and bone. Check that the multi has boron since it is a joint injury. Fish oil to cover the essential requirement if not consuming omega-3 from some other food sources.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

You can try cissus quadrangularis. It has good reputation for bone problems. I don't know about use in women though, it does increase testosterone a bit, you'll have to look into it. You can also try Glucosamine and Chondroitin sourced from animals. I've read some stuff on that working better if it comes from animals, and from my personal experience this is true, though I am not saying for sure.

Good luck.

#4 jazzcat

• 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

Comfrey might be worth trying. It's an herb that can be purchased in the form of a salve or balm. You apply to the injured area regularly. It is supposed to help bones knit back together and goes by names boneset and knitbone. But it can also help with inflammation and soft tissue damage as well as healing scars or wounds. This should not be taken internally or applied to open cuts. Years ago people would make a poultice out of the leaves of the plant and apply that to the injured limb.

http://www.awakenthe...dies/bones.html

For scars I would think collagen related nutrients like zinc, copper and vitamin C are worth considering. Silica might be another possibility.

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

what form of calcium are you giving her?

everything looks spot on to me

#6 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

You can try cissus quadrangularis. It has good reputation for bone problems. I don't know about use in women though, it does increase testosterone a bit, you'll have to look into it. You can also try Glucosamine and Chondroitin sourced from animals. I've read some stuff on that working better if it comes from animals, and from my personal experience this is true, though I am not saying for sure.

Good luck.

Do you have any reference studies for cissus quadrangularis?

#7 pro-d

• 117 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Vitamin D, K, Calcium and Magnesium are the best things to take for bones, and you've got them.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2023 - 05:30 PM

anything that improves human immune system will help in healing process. During broken bones there is actually an temporary increase in various things like BDNF to the limb which can actually be beneficial for parkinsons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users