• 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:14 AM

What I Plan on Taking

Piracetam
DMAE
Choline
Inositol
Vinpocetine

The above list was selected partly on the availability of the above materials to me as a US resident, and pertly out of my ignorance regarding the field of nootropics. I would love to spend hours researching the anecdotal reports of all the nootropics out there, but as the title explains, I'm spending all my free time studying for the Bar Exam! (for those of you who don't know, its the exam that I must pass in order to practice Law. It's not easy).

Why I'm Interested in Using Nootropics
Well, simply because studying 6-7 hours a day for two months is going to inevitably burn me out. I'm on week 3 of the two month cramming marathon, and my concentration is way down, my brain feels fried, and I am losing that "oomph", the motivation to open the book and pour more information into my brain. I really hope to alleviate some or all of these symptoms, and that's why I'm asking you all here. You are obviously more versed with this stuff, and I thought I'd go ask those who know.

1. Do you think that the list is sufficient? Are there any MUST-HAVES that I'm missing? I don't have insane amounts of money, nor the time to wait for overseas shipments. However, if there was a supplement that is an absolute must, I would most definitely consider taking it, even if I had to purchase overseas. I notice, that there tends to be a more-is-better effect with these sorts of things - you know, people taking 14 different compounds to squeeze out that last 2%. What I'm looking for is more of the Core Necessitiess; perhaps after the bar, and based on the results, I can start to get more sophisticated with this stuff.

2. What do you all suggest as the optimal dosages of the above chemicals (and of any others that you suggest as essential)

If you have any advice, suggestions, whatever, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,
Ami

#2 ejdavis1

• 92 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 04:26 AM

I'm entering my third year in law school and among other substances, Aniracetam and a good choline source (CDP choline) served me well during the last spring finals.

I suggest you not waste your time with Piracetam. It does not really do much for many people, myself included. You might instead consider using oxiracetam instead. It is water-based as is Piracetam but much stronger. I felt it the first time I tried it. If you are in a hurry, Axiom seems to be the only source of Oxyracetam. Smi2le has it coming, but in 2-4 weeks and on the market one week after he receives it.

You might add R-ALA and ALCAR. It seems to make me sharper overall.

I'd also suggest adding Rhodiola Rosea because it is great for masking fatigue, as is probably a good stout choline source. Bar exams are typically endurance tests. You need to be able to bounce back.

Core essentials would be the following. I consider #1 and 2 mandatory.
1. Good choline source. Centrophenoxine or CDP Choline
2. Aniracetam
3. Oxiracetam
4. Rhodiola Rosea

Secondary nice to have
huperzine-a or similar acting supplement that extends the life of acetylcholine in the brain
vinpocatene or picamilon to increase circulation in the brain.

I take 250mg of centrophenoxine and 250mg of CDP choline per day. This dose level is just below the "bad headache" level for me. Acetylcholine excess headaches are to be avoided at all costs.

I take 1000 mg of aniracetam and 1000 mg of oxyracetam daily. Starting a few days before exams, I increase both to 1500 mg per day.

I use other technologies, as well. PM me if you want more particulars.

Get LEEWS and learn it if you have the time. Use ridiculous drawings instead of mnemonics to remember elements. You'll never forget an element this way.

Edited by ejdavis1, 26 June 2004 - 04:53 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:21 AM

I really don't know enough about Phosphadityl Serine, could someone explain to me what sort of nootropic effects it has touted. Thanks.

#4 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

Any nootropic effect of PS is probably long-term, at least if you are already in good health.

• Lurker

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:10 PM

PS looks like an excellent long term supplement for maintaining mental performance. It seems to stem overall brain deterioration.

http://www.1stvitali...hatidyl_serine/

#6 digdug

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for the input, especially to Ejdavis, a fellow legal beagle. :)

Here's my updated regimen for your scrutiny:

Aniracetam - 500m/500pm = 1g a day
Oxiracetam - 500m/500om = 1g a day
Picamilon - 50mg a day
Centrophenoxine - 100mg a day
Choline - 500mg a day
Inositol - 300mg a day
Vinpocetine - 10mg a day

What do you all think?
Thanks so much for all your advice and help!

#7 digdug

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:36 AM

Sounds good. Thanks for the tweaking suggestions.

I'm taking regular choline from my local healthfood store. I assume the bitartrate salt of choline? Lemme guess, I should get some superduper hyper-bonded $45 choline, right? :)

#8 digdug

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:39 AM

What's the best way to get choline to satisfy the choline usage that the -racetams encourage?

#9 ejdavis1

• 92 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:41 AM

Another thing to be aware of - the way that these substances make you initially feel and think is not the way you might think and feel in a few days or a couple of weeks. Get a regimen started and adjusted well in advance of the final weeks before the test.

Then in the words of the Russian astronaut in Armageddon: "Touch Nothing!"

#10 jolly

• 154 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:47 PM

I presume he means - once you have a stack setup that works for you, dont change it...atleast not right before the tests!

#11 shapeshifter

• 42 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:52 PM

Aniracetam - 500m/500pm = 1g a day
Oxiracetam - 500m/500om = 1g a day
Picamilon - 50mg a day
Centrophenoxine - 100mg a day
Choline - 500mg a day
Inositol - 300mg a day
Vinpocetine - 10mg a day

Vinpocetine should be taken 2 or 3 times a day in doses ranging from 10 mg to 20 mg each time. When you stop taking it, it's effects also diminish.
Picamilon at 50 mg dose would probably make you relaxed and slow. It's OK if you have not much serious things to do, but it's not good for learning. Take 100 mg doses, once or twice a day. This will increase your ability to focus.
Centrophenoxine can be taken twice at 100 mg doses. Personally, I have found 200 mg doses very energizing, just tolerable, but is causing dry feeling in my tongue. So 100 mg twice a day is a better option: energizing enough without the dry feeling.

#12 zencatholic

• 88 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:59 PM

Ami-

Hang in there.

Taking the bar exam was among the toughest 3 days of my life. I got 5 hours sleep the night before the 1st day of the test, 3 hours sleep the night before the 2nd day, and pulled an all-nighter before the 3rd day. The only nootropic I knew of back in 1990, other than caffeine, was ginseng. Not that it helped much. My "stack" was coffee, until that stopped working, then No-Doz, until that stopped working, then just plain adrenaline. I spent a good part of my last night studying on the toilet because of all the caffeine I was drinking that was no longer keeping me awake. It's good that I can laugh about it now. I remember sitting in the test room before the start of the test on the third day, and drifting in and out of consciousness. That night, I was still taking the bar exam in my dreams. Very weird.

Nootropics should give you a big advantage, but don't forget the good old fashioned studying your butt off.

Take care and peace be with you,
AMDG

Zen Catholic

#13 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:17 PM

Hello

What are the "other technologies" and "LEEWS" ejdavis1?

Thanks

#14 ejdavis1

• 92 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:17 PM

LEEWS is "Legal Essay Exam Writing System" which some people swear by. The course has separate sections that deal with bar exams. Available as a home study course or in seminar. http://www.leews.com/

Other technologies include some industrial strength subliminals and the Focus CD from Awakened Minds. They seem to help me. Due to the timing, Holosync is clearly not an option in this case.

Edited by ejdavis1, 29 June 2004 - 11:49 PM.

#15 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 01:45 AM

thanks ejdavis1

the focus CD is based on binaural beats?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 digdug

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:33 AM

ejdavis, I need your e-mail address for that Invite. Also, what are the other industrial strength subliminals? I'm going to take a look at the Focus CD, but I want to also research a few other options before making a purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users