Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Chewing gum (I do it. U?)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:17 AM

I'm a professional gum chewer lol.. been doing that for about 10-11years almost every day (just liked to have a fresh breath, and it became a habit..).
How bad is it? (I mostly buy "Dirol"...watermelon or strawberries, mmm)

My teeth are in a pretty good condition, nothing that I'd be concerned about at the moment, esp. keeping in mind that both my parents had/have terrible teeth (which I associate with their chronic vit.D deficiency. The thing of the past now, but it's too late..).
ANy other "dangers"? They say it makes your stomach secrete acids as like you are going to eat a real food (because you salivate). Havne't had any probs with acidity in my life, almost don't know what's that, so doesn't seem like a prob too, at least yet..

Edited by VidX, 01 March 2010 - 06:19 AM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:11 AM

I'm a gum addict too. My great uncle sold mint to Wrigley's in the early 20th century, but the money is now flowing in the other direction.

Having something sweet in your mouth might have an effect on insulin levels. That's just a speculation. If you have amalgam fillings, constant chewing may cause more mercury mobilization. Acidic fruit gums might be erosive to teeth, though probably not a problem if teeth are healthy. Spearmint may suppress testosterone production.

There are advantages, too: Gum will make you less likely to snack or smoke. Chewing cleans the teeth when you can't brush. The act of chewing increases serotonin levels; there's probably something dopaminergic going on based on the addictiveness. That might belong in the "disadvantage" column...

#3 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:27 AM

Dental advantages:
Increased saliva flow - especially important just after a meal, the natural buffers in saliva restore a remineralizing environment for your teeth
Xylitol - non-sugar sweetener found in some gums has anticariogenic properties - prevents tooth decay.

Dental disadvantage:
Anecdotally chewing gum puts excess wear and tear on the TMJ - this can be especially significant if you have a history of TMJ disorder.

To find the gums with especially high levels of Xylitol most people have to visit an Asian market.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Ping

• 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

I chew xylitol-sweetened gum after meals and when driving, partly as a distraction to keep me from chewing my lip (nervous habit). The health benefits of xylitol are a nice bonus. The brand I use currently is called Epic; it contains 1 g xylitol per piece. I had found a 50% off coupon for it somewhere, so I ended up buying it in bulk. It's not really a "gum chewer's gum" - the flavor only lasts a few minutes, and the gum begins to dissolve in your mouth after a few hours. I think Spry also makes a xylitol-only gum, which I'd like to try sometime.

#5 VegaSinclair

• 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

I used to chew gum but don't anymore. One thing I would be concerned about is cavities caused by gum with sugar in it. If I chewed gum, I would chew the gums that are supposed to be good for your teeth and that don't contain sugar. Do any of you gum chewers ever get cavities if you chew gum with sugar in it?

#6 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

i also chewing the gums, but it has the advantages and the disadvantages for us:
Losing Weight
Chewing gum can be used as part of a weight loss program.
Stress Reduction
Chewing gum can help people deal with stressful situations.
Breath Freshener
Chewing gum can also serve as a quick breath freshener.
Tooth Decay
Chewing sugared gum can lead to tooth decay, cavities and gum disease.
Tooth and Jaw Issues
Frequent gum chewing can contribute to a condition known as Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ), which is caused by constant stress being placed on the jaws.
Annoyance
Chewing gum loudly or making a cracking noise while chewing will annoy some people.

#7 User1000

• 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

I stopped due to the sweeteners they use in most grocery store gums. Although I would be interested in a Xylitol sweetened one.

Once I read somewhere that gum chewing contributes to bloating because you end up swallowing more air than you normally would.

#8 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

At least a pack a day here. I was in Finland and I found Jenkki, (gum with no sweeteners). The only thing it had was xylitol. But it´s not available in other countries. I was in heaven because I stopped worrying about the sweeteners.

So the pack of gum I have a day is filled with all kinds of crap. I wonder what kind of braindamage it has done to me.

The worst issue that comes from constant gum chewing is headaches at night, spreading from the jaw to the head. Also when I am on stims, shit can become very serious. :unsure:

#9 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

I just order monster packs of all xylitol Spry from iherb.. Price is decent, too.

#10 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

I like the brand they sell in Mexico that contains Recaldent, which in theory remineralizes teeth and prevent cavities and wear. Unfortunately they do not sell that here in the U.S. I wish they would.

#11 maya2013

• 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Don't have habit about chewingums but when i read about teeths also improve brain health too so i got myself a box of happident and results are very promising my teeth are now much whiter than before and helps to thinks when i chewing..

#12 mrd1

• 460 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

"Clinical studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes following meals can help prevent tooth decay.

The chewing of sugarless gum increases the flow of saliva, which washes away food and other debris, neutralizes acids produced by bacteria in the mouth and provides disease-fighting substances throughout the mouth. Increased saliva flow also carries with it more calcium and phosphate to help strengthen tooth enamel.

The only varieties of gum with the ADA Seal are sugarless. They are sweetened by non-cavity causing sweeteners such as aspartame, xylitol, sorbitol or mannitol. Of course, chewing sugar-containing gum increases saliva flow too, but it also contains sugar which is used by plaque bacteria to produce decay-causing acids. Further research needs to be done to determine the effects of chewing sugar-containing gum on tooth decay."

I buy gum with the ADA seal of approval. Any claims that those are bad for you are probably rogue nutritionists and doctors with claims that are most likely false.

But, everyone likes a good conspiracy theory!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users