• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Who Wants To Live Forever? (Philipkoski)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 07:54 AM

Here's a Wired article covering the recent Alcor Life Extension Conference...
I plan to attend the conference in 2004 (they have it every other year) ... I'm not sure where it will be held in 2004. Anybody have any ideas?

Who Wants to Live Forever?

By Kristen Philipkoski | 02:00 AM Nov. 20, 2002 PT

What kind of person believes it's possible to live forever?

An Internet entrepreneur, a psychiatrist, an artificial intelligence expert, a nanotechnology expert, a science-fiction writer, a nurse and the wife of a professional wrestler, just to name a few, all very much believe in that possibility.

They and about 200 others paid up to $600 to attend the fifth Alcor Extreme Life Extension Conference, held every other year. They eagerly absorbed the latest in the science and philosophy behind the quest for immortality.

These folks belong to "a beleaguered millennial faith," said Gregory Benford, a professor of plasma physics and astrophysics at the University of California at Irvine who spoke at the conference.

Complete Article

#2 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:04 AM

Here's a similar Wired Article... looks like interest is building.

A Few Ways to Win Mortality War

By Kristen Philipkoski 02:00 AM Nov. 20, 2002 PT

NEWPORT BEACH, California -- People who want to live forever are often pegged as narcissists, heretics or just plain crazy.

But about 200 people bent on immortality who did not appear to be crazy, narcissistic or sacrilegious (well, maybe a little) gathered in Newport Beach, California, over the weekend for Alcor's Extreme Life Extension Conference.

Complete Article

#3 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:16 AM

I've sent the author an email.. I'll let you know if she gets back to me..

___

Dear Kristen,

Thank you for the informative and intelligent article concerning the Alcor Conference. It's refreshing to see a fair assessment of the issue.

You may be interested in visiting the Immortality Inst. to further your research. We have more than 100 members exchanging information about the possibility of physical immortality.

http://www.imminst.org

Regards,
Bruce J. Klein
Director, Immortality Institute Inc.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Casanova

• 93 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 11:28 PM

I'm not sure where it will be held in 2004. Anybody have any ideas?

Death Valley?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users