#1 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Top place candidates for consideration have been:

Amsterdam
Brussels
London

(My suggestion and choice, without considering other factors, was Amsterdam. The other two suggestions, Brussels and London, were from Sven, who (correct me if I'm wrong) favoured Brussels.

Looking over Skype logs, London seems to have more cons than pros, and Brussels seems to have more pros than Amsterdam.

For this reason I suggest we choose Brussels as the city to host the ImmInst European Conference.

Regarding dates, I suggest we look at the dates in the appropriate time of year, remove the dates of events with which we don't want to clash, then offer up the alternatives to the membership as a poll, then make a decision based on poll results.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

Are the pros and cons listed somewhere in a different thread or meeting minutes? I apologize for not looking too long.

Amsterdam is out in my view because we don't have anyone "on the ground" there.

Sven is very close to Brussels and David could handle the groundwork for a London conference, so I think it is down to those 2.

Brussels is more centrally located for overall European attendance. The Eurostar goes directly from London to Brussels, perhaps making it easier for UK members to get there.

#3 David Styles

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

Are the pros and cons listed somewhere in a different thread or meeting minutes? I apologize for not looking too long.

Amsterdam is out in my view because we don't have anyone "on the ground" there.

Sven is very close to Brussels and David could handle the groundwork for a London conference, so I think it is down to those 2.

Brussels is more centrally located for overall European attendance. The Eurostar goes directly from London to Brussels, perhaps making it easier for UK members to get there.

We do have people on the ground in Amsterdam; such as Christine Lemstra, with whom I have organised such events previously.

However, we have decided on Brussels as the city to host the conference.

As for dates, we have selected some dates that we are not aware of clashing with anything relevant to our target demographic, and are now putting these dates to an opinion poll to see which date is preferred.

This poll will be open for two weeks.

Edited by David Styles, 22 March 2010 - 12:26 AM.
Amend poll length.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 David Styles

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

Ok, the Poll has now been created:

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=39681

Justin, would you kindly send out a mass email / PM asking people to vote in it?

All, would you kindly publicise this vote via your personal networks?

Many thanks.

Edited by David Styles, 22 March 2010 - 12:25 AM.
Add poll URL

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:59 AM

Brussels seemed to edge out the others to me too.

This sounds like more good material for the upcoming newsletter. It goes out in a mass pm.

By announcing this on our facebook fan page we should be able to entice other life extension orientated organizations to post about it. You may want to ask them each personally in facebook to post it though.

#6 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

57,7% of our members who voted (a big majority) choose for 9 and 10 October. I guess that we must follow the request of our members.

http://www.imminst.o...o...=39681&st=0

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:20 PM

Yes, that should be the weekend to focus on, however, we should do one last check to make sure there is no other life-extension, cryonics, or transhuman conference going on that weekend, particularly in the Euro-zone.

#8 David Styles

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:00 AM

Yes, that should be the weekend to focus on, however, we should do one last check to make sure there is no other life-extension, cryonics, or transhuman conference going on that weekend, particularly in the Euro-zone.

Done. It's clear as far as we can tell.

Suggest further discussions of place be conducted here, for tidiness: http://www.imminst.o...ace-t40115.html

Edited by David Styles, 05 April 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#9 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

I’ve contacted the University in Brussels and asked them to send me info about the cost of renting one of their auditoria (200 people).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users