Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

best gum for oral hygiene

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 parsons

• 40 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

I got hit with some cavities recently and I really have to do something about it.  Among the regiment is chewing trident extra care which has xylitol and recaldent.  Sounds like a pretty good combo.  One thing I don't like is that it has aspartame.  I also read on this forum that chewing gum may cause fillings to shift.  As a result, I was thinking of going to xylitol mints though I haven't seen any brands that have both recaldent and xylitol.  So the questions I have are:

1) is my concern about long term aspartame use legitimate?  trident would probably would be my only consistent source and I would chew it maybe 3 times a day.

2) is best to have both recaldent and xylitol in a gum?  Seems like it as my understanding is the recaldent can remineralize teeth and xylitol kills bacteria that causes cavitites.

3)is my concern about chewing gum consistently legitimate?  if it is, is anyone aware if recaldent and xylitol are bundled together in the same brand of mint?

thanks

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

Eat ~12g of xylitol as a sweetener a day and you will not need to worry about the gum. You may want to look into probiotic mints like the 'advanced oral care' by LEF. Drinking a powdered green tea throughout the day will help as well. Good luck.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

I got hit with some cavities recently and I really have to do something about it.  Among the regiment is chewing trident extra care which has xylitol and recaldent.  Sounds like a pretty good combo.  One thing I don't like is that it has aspartame.  I also read on this forum that chewing gum may cause fillings to shift.  As a result, I was thinking of going to xylitol mints though I haven't seen any brands that have both recaldent and xylitol.  So the questions I have are:

1) is my concern about long term aspartame use legitimate?  trident would probably would be my only consistent source and I would chew it maybe 3 times a day.

2) is best to have both recaldent and xylitol in a gum?  Seems like it as my understanding is the recaldent can remineralize teeth and xylitol kills bacteria that causes cavitites.

3)is my concern about chewing gum consistently legitimate?  if it is, is anyone aware if recaldent and xylitol are bundled together in the same brand of mint?

Aspartame use at that level is nothing to worry about. I don't see how it could hurt to have both recaldent and xylitol; I suppose it's "best" as in better than having only one of them. I've never heard anything about chewing gum causing fillings to shift. If your fillings are moving, they were in need of repair anyway, gum or not. Make sure that your oral hygiene and nutrition are ok as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:54 AM

You'll get a lot more xylitol in your gum if you switch to one of the xylitol gums sold in Asian markets. Also you'll get a lot more potent effects out of your recaldent regimen if you pick up some MI Paste from a local dentist or off Amazon. The amount of recaldent in the gum available in America ranges between a placebo and a homeopathic dosage IMO.

I would be less worried about fillings and more worried about potential temporomandibular disorder caused by excess chewing. If your fillings come out from chewing gum they were almost certainly going to fail anyway. If you don't clench or grind your teeth, your jaw joint doesn't click or pop and you don't have frequent headaches I would continue to chew xylitol gum particularly right after eating/consuming carbohydrates. This stimulates salivation which counteracts the acid attack on your enamel.

In addition if you have incipient lesions (zones of demineralization/white chalky areas) I would apply a small amount of MI Paste with a finger after brushing and flossing for the night. However if you have trays don't put the MI Paste under them and leave it there as it does have a bit of acid in it.

#5 parsons

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

Eat ~12g of xylitol as a sweetener a day and you will not need to worry about the gum. You may want to look into probiotic mints like the 'advanced oral care' by LEF. Drinking a powdered green tea throughout the day will help as well. Good luck.

I will be purchasing a bag of xylitol so I can use that in my coffee instead of sugar. Do you have any experience with 'advanced oral care'?

Aspartame use at that level is nothing to worry about. I don't see how it could hurt to have both recaldent and xylitol; I suppose it's "best" as in better than having only one of them. I've never heard anything about chewing gum causing fillings to shift. If your fillings are moving, they were in need of repair anyway, gum or not. Make sure that your oral hygiene and nutrition are ok as well.

Interestingly, I was so apathetic yesterday I had no idea what happened. I had to take the day off from work as all I did was look at the monitor. This morning I read that aspartame can cause these symptoms so I'm stopping immediately to see what happens. As for my oral hygiene, I used to do the traditional 'brush twice with fluride toothpaste and floss once'. I now oil pull once, brush with a novamine containing toothpaste twice, once with no toothpaste(each time with some oregano oil and use an ionic tooth brush), swish twice a day with water and a drop of oregano oil and will add some kind of between brushing mint. As for my diet, since I got myself in much better shape, I no longer have to have as much coffee which sometimes leads to having a sugary snack like a chocolate muffin.

You'll get a lot more xylitol in your gum if you switch to one of the xylitol gums sold in Asian markets. Also you'll get a lot more potent effects out of your recaldent regimen if you pick up some MI Paste from a local dentist or off Amazon. The amount of recaldent in the gum available in America ranges between a placebo and a homeopathic dosage IMO.

what Asian xylitol brand do you recommend? I tried MI Paste before and just spreading it on my teeth didn't seem like a good delivery systems as it just fell off. How do you apply it?

Thanks guys

#6 checkinguy

• 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:40 AM

Not sure why an Asian brand is recommended. I've purchased some xylitol mints and gums and 1 kg bags online, and these all seem fine. So far, all are from the US. Xlear site, xylitolcanada and even iherb seem to have good products. These all have 100% xylitol, no additives like sorbitol etc.

#7 Annan

• Guest, F@H
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

I'd also like to know about Asian gum.

I know Epic has a comparison page where it says "Epic's xylitol gum contains more xylitol per serving than any other U.S. brand"

It also mentions that you need at least 6 grams of xylitol per day for effectivness.

#8 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

I will be purchasing a bag of xylitol so I can use that in my coffee instead of sugar. Do you have any experience with 'advanced oral care'?

Yes, I use it at night after brushing and rinse of Listerine mixed with a bit of xylitol in. Here is the LEF article on it:
LEF oral probiotic article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users