• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Lets change the name of the Immortality Institute!

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:59 AM

I think you guys are talking about different definitions of the word immortality. Until a few years ago I hadnt fully considered that immortality is seemingly mathematically impossible. No matter how old you are, you could always die tomorrow, meteors and many things could always come and squash you.

We however will brand it how the world and this cause needs it to be branded.

#62 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:40 AM

[/quote]
If you want to become a physically immortal god, that's fine ... but if you want to accomplish that you'll need the help, support and resources of those who may not support immortality like you do.

You can't go into a research convention for instance and say I want to be immortal please help me. It's a different story however if say you want to find ways to defeat aging like Aubrey. He doesn't go around telling to-be supporters "come and invest in immortality" ... plain and simple it sounds like snake oil.
[/quote]

I think this is a very important point Cyberbrain made. I personally want to become immortal. I don't just want to defeat aging, I want to become like an immortal god....But I'll never get there without a lot of donations and support today especially from the people who make up the majority of the population who don't support Immortality. Ending aging and other diseases comes first before eliminating other forms of death until we become Immortal, because our limited natural life span cause by aging, it is probably the biggest factor in the blight of involuntary death. We can't become immortal if we don't focuse on aging first.

There is a TV series I've thought of something just now, it's called "Root's" it's about some Africans becoming slaves to the Americans and how they ship them off to America, the main character who's a slave named Kunta Kinte's name is changed to "Toby" by the person who bought him from the slave market. There was a scene where he rejects the name Toby and wants to preserve his heritage from his homeland, he is severely whipped and before they killed him he submits to being called the name Toby. His overseer named Fiddler talks to hims and tells him something like "What do you care what that white man call you eh? What do you care? You will always be Kunta Kinte, always.

In this example Kunta is Imminst, an organization that wants to stand out in the crowed with a name that is not so appealing to the majority. The "Whipping" is the prejudice against the word Immortality. The "White Men" are the people who are either, uninformed, prejudiced, bioludites, or religious fanatics. I guess the character Fiddler could be people like Cyberbrain and I who don't care what imminst is called we just care about making this cause progress as fast as possible.

Edited by The Indefinite Lifespaner, 29 March 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#63 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:58 AM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but here it goes. Imminst is here to concer the blight of involuntary death right? So that is not just aging research right? Couldn't Imminst also be for things like research on how to: Make cars safer, make the roads safer, make the food we eat free from potentialy dangerous chemicals, workplace saftey, ect. ? ALL possible things that contribute to death?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:06 AM

If you want to become a physically immortal god, that's fine ... but if you want to accomplish that you'll need the help, support and resources of those who may not support immortality like you do.

You can't go into a research convention for instance and say I want to be immortal please help me. It's a different story however if say you want to find ways to defeat aging like Aubrey. He doesn't go around telling to-be supporters "come and invest in immortality" ... plain and simple it sounds like snake oil.

I think this is a very important point Cyberbrain made. I personally want to become immortal. I don't just want to defeat aging, I want to become like an immortal god....But I'll never get there without a lot of donations and support today especially from the people who make up the majority of the population who don't support Immortality. Ending aging and other diseases comes first before eliminating other forms of death until we become Immortal, because our limited natural life span cause by aging, it is probably the biggest factor in the blight of involuntary death. We can't become immortal if we don't focuse on aging first.

There is a TV series I've thought of something just now, it's called "Root's" it's about some Africans becoming slaves to the Americans and how they ship them off to America, the main character who's a slave named Kunta Kinte's name is changed to "Toby" by the person who bought him from the slave market. There was a scene where he rejects the name Toby and wants to preserve his heritage from his homeland, he is severely whipped and before they killed him he submits to being called the name Toby. His overseer named Fiddler talks to hims and tells him something like "What do you care what that white man call you eh? What do you care? You will always be Kunta Kinte, always.

In this example Kunta is Imminst, an organization that wants to stand out in the crowed with a name that is not so appealing to the majority. The "Whipping" is the prejudice against the word Immortality. The "White Men" are the people who are either, uninformed, prejudiced, bioludites, or religious fanatics. I guess the character Fiddler could be people like Cyberbrain and I who don't care what imminst is called we just care about making this cause progress as possible.

nice post, I don't see any mental deterioration from what I just read. But immortality is a long way away. Right now we should focus on defeating aging with the techniques that are emerging before our very eyes. There are some people, and I won't name who, who work for Methuselah Foundation, and SENS, who respect and love imminst, but don't want to align themselves with us because we simply do not appeal to even the more progressive types in the mainstream world. What that world consists of is general public, some scientists, and probably all conservative/republicans.

So I agree whole heartedly with you, and others, and have myself tried to get the name changed. Just think, if we simply changed the name to something more conservative, we could still have people talking about their wishes for immortality, but that wouldn't matter as long as the institute does not necessarily appear to focus on that.

The name of the game is conceal the ultimate goal, for maybe a long time, until we can get more people at least interested in living a lot longer, not even necessarily indefinitely. But, most people probably who support some even modest form of life extension, would not object to indefinite lifespans because it implies to the casual observer, something that is not unfathomable, to them.

#65 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:39 AM

Indeed. This movement will not be taken seriously even by aliens. There is no such thing as Immortality and that's undesirable to begin with.

And yet you became a member of the Immortality Institute?

hoping to have the name changed. i voted against it last year in the member's voting room.

#66 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:21 AM

Indeed. This movement will not be taken seriously even by aliens. There is no such thing as Immortality and that's undesirable to begin with.

hoping to have the name changed. i voted against it last year in the member's voting room.

does that mean you supported a name change or went against a name change? If you were against it why did you imply you didn't like the name "Immortality" in your earlier post?

#67 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

There are some people, and I won't name who, who work for Methuselah Foundation, and SENS, who respect and love imminst, but don't want to align themselves with us because we simply do not appeal to even the more progressive types in the mainstream world.

Now this is is just getting rediculous. Here we have some organizations that promote emerging technologies and research that alot of ignorant people think is just snake oil or something, and they are too afraid to align with US because they think we are too Snake-oilish to be around for their publisity! So what are we in the average humans mind? SUPER DUPER SNAKE-OIL SATURATED IN YETI DUNG!!!!!!!

Edited by The Indefinite Lifespaner, 29 March 2010 - 06:34 AM.

#68 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

In this example Kunta is Imminst, an organization that wants to stand out in the crowed with a name that is not so appealing to the majority. The "Whipping" is the prejudice against the word Immortality. The "White Men" are the people who are either, uninformed, prejudiced, bioludites, or religious fanatics. I guess the character Fiddler could be people like Cyberbrain and I who don't care what imminst is called we just care about making this cause progress as possible.

nice post, I don't see any mental deterioration from what I just read. But immortality is a long way away. Right now we should focus on defeating aging with the techniques that are emerging before our very eyes. There are some people, and I won't name who, who work for Methuselah Foundation, and SENS, who respect and love imminst, but don't want to align themselves with us because we simply do not appeal to even the more progressive types in the mainstream world. What that world consists of is general public, some scientists, and probably all conservative/republicans.

So I agree whole heartedly with you, and others, and have myself tried to get the name changed. Just think, if we simply changed the name to something more conservative, we could still have people talking about their wishes for immortality, but that wouldn't matter as long as the institute does not necessarily appear to focus on that.

The name of the game is conceal the ultimate goal, for maybe a long time, until we can get more people at least interested in living a lot longer, not even necessarily indefinitely. But, most people probably who support some even modest form of life extension, would not object to indefinite lifespans because it implies to the casual observer, something that is not unfathomable, to them.

You couldn't have put it better dfowler. ;) All three comments here summarize perfectly the reasons for a change. Imminst leadership take a good read here.

Edited by Cyberbrain, 29 March 2010 - 07:25 AM.

#69 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

does that mean you supported a name change or went against a name change? If you were against it why did you imply you didn't like the name "Immortality" in your earlier post?

it meant that i voted against the name "Immortality".

indefinite lifestyle and life extension are the ones i supported.

#70 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

This thread should be renamed "The Immortal Name Argument" and merged with previous incarnations of the same to set an example of how immortality itself is possible, at least in principal. We have killed this issue and yet it never dies. Like a zombie it rises again and again. Yet somehow it is proof of its own doppleganger, "Immortality" IS a good word to use in our title for both reasons of symbolic controversy and logical association.

This debate has itself become an oxymoron. Bring all the threads together and back to life because the more anyone tries to stifle this issue the more it lives. Conversely, the more we try to do something about it and actually tackle the issue directly the faster it withers away and dies. The best argument for the current name is that we have never achieved any accord on a replacement, and we probably never will.
  • like x 1

#71 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

indefinite lifestyle and life extension are the ones i supported.

"Indefinite Lifestyle" makes it sound like we are an organisation made up of members who perpetually undecided as a lifestyle choice. Perish the thought.

"Life Extension" is good. Let's call ourselves the "Life Extension Foundation"! Oh, wait, perhaps not.

No, I think ImmInst works well enough as a name.

#72 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

typo. i voted for Indefinite Lifespan, not Lifestyle.

#73 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

It seems that multiple domain names could lower our google rankings
http://www.imminst.o...search-engines/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users