• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

MSN Health mentions MEM1414, what is it?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 soheil

• 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:04 AM

This was on the front page of MSN:
http://content.healt...59.htm?GT1=4244

Anyone have any thoughts?

#2 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:52 AM

I think it is likely 'memantine' which is thought to be able to postpone the symptoms of Alzheimers.. and has also shown to improve memory in normal individuals.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:31 AM

No its not memantine. It works like vinpocetine.

The Article:

A New Pathway

Less far along in the development pipeline is Memory Pharmaceuticals' experimental drug, MEM 1414. It's currently in phase I trials, which are designed to test safety in people.

MEM 1414 works by blocking phosphodiesterase, an enzyme that breaks down an important brain chemical, cyclic AMP. It appears to work in the area of the brain where new memories are formed. "It's very important for facts and events," says Axel Unterbeck, PhD, president and chief scientific officer of Memory Pharmaceuticals.

"In order to be able to form new long-term memories -- which are memories lasting for more than three hours, by definition ... the [brain] also processes that information for facts and events to be stored long term, he says. "If you enhance this pathway, you get, potentially, enhancement of this very function."

A drug that blocks phosphodiesterase has potential for treating Alzheimer's and MCI, as well as age-related memory decline, which is the forgetfulness that often comes with older age but is not necessarily a sign of impending Alzheimer's disease.

Unterbeck says that while age-related memory loss is common, "it's not a necessary consequence of aging" because it doesn't affect everyone. He says he thinks it should be looked at as a medical problem that might be treated with a memory-enhancing drug.

As for whether MEM 1414 could be used to improve memory in young, healthy people, "that would be pure speculation," he says. "It is clearly not a target for us as a company."

#4 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 05:56 PM

Isn't caffeine an effective phosphodiesterase inhibitor? Pretty effective at neuroprotection too.

#5 gulasch

• 38 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:26 PM

does anyone take this? I am considering of ordering some, it's very pricy at smiles. 1 pound for about 5$. Has anyone good experiences with this stuff.
Does it interact with picamillon, vinpo or other nootropics?
Thanks
greets
g

• Lurker

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:11 PM

Sorry...? You have found a source of this at $5/pound? It's not a particularly revolutionary drug, I would say it is more "evolutionary" and the prospects for future meds are much more promising than this one in particular.

The question remains, also, whether drugs that improve memory or concentration can really be called smart drugs. The idea that a "smart pill" might come to exist took root with "nootropic" drugs, such as Piracetam and Hydergine, which were studied for decades as potential cognitive enhancers and treatments for Alzheimer's.

"These compounds were supposed to have some effect on global brain function, very similar to what people believe is the case for ginkgo biloba," Unterbeck says.

They still have a cult following, but the scientific evidence for their effectiveness is "very anecdotal and poorly documented," he says.

Clearly some people in the media are aware that there a small group of nootropics users, and they cannot dispute the effects of these "nootropics" beyond claiming that they are "very anecdotal and poorly documented".

#7 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:37 PM

WTF?! You guys know where to get some MEM1414? It's WAY more powerful than anything out there right now, I am certain of that. There's also MEM1003. I heard it doesn't look like these drugs are gonna make it out into the market. and there's not a lot of human testing, so I dunno about using. But I might be interested if someone actually knows where to get a generic of this substance. I've read quite a bit about it, and it's supposed to make the noops we've all been taking seem like placebos.

#8 haveblue

• 66 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:09 AM

"WTF?!"

According to what evidence is it "WAY more powerful than anything out there right now"? And which study makes "the noops we've all been taking seem like placebos"?

Thanks.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:15 AM

I was using the comparison as a way of dramatizing the difference between MEM1414 and the noops we all take -- not that the noops we take are mere placebos. Scientific American made MEM1414 sound very very powerful and the abstracts I've read suggest a substance that raises cAMP levels as much as MEM1414 allegedly does would be much stronger than any other substance on market that I've looked at.

But I dunno, it's still in phase I trials and I heard Roche, who was set to subsidize Memory Pharm pulled out or something to that effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users