• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

A Possible Solar Storm in 2012?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 freethinker

• 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

A Possible Solar Storm in 2012? | Michio Kaku | Big Think
The 2012 Apocalypse — And How to Stop It

#2 Fleet

• 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

A lot of things will happen at the same time starting at 21-12-2012. everything is connected (Timewave Zero).
also they said the planet Niburu will collide with the earth and will be possible to see in the year 2010. any signs yet?
I actually (90%) believe the end of the world will come in 2012 in the start of a third world war possibly against manipulated viruses.
seeming this would all be inevitable, we still should focus on an steady (positive technological) expectational growth instead of the logarithmic polarization that is to be found in the Golden ratio... :/ (maybe aliens will save us, strangely as it all sounds)

finding hope theory's:

(dangerously optimistic new agey) I say that aliens (if there are any) would be more intelligent than humans, so they should know that if they would place crop-circles consisted across the earth simultaneously it would be more believable.

Edited by Fleet, 01 April 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#3 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

A lot of things will happen at the same time starting at 21-12-2012. everything is connected (Timewave Zero).
also they said the planet Niburu will collide with the earth and will be possible to see in the year 2010. any signs yet?
I actually (90%) believe the end of the world will come in 2012 in the start of a third world war possibly against manipulated viruses.
seeming this would all be inevitable, we still should focus on an steady (positive technological) expectational growth instead of the logarithmic polarization that is to be found in the Golden ratio... :/ (maybe aliens will save us, strangely as it all sounds)

finding hope theory's:

(dangerously optimistic new agey) I say that aliens (if there are any) would be more intelligent than humans, so they should know that if they would place crop-circles consisted across the earth simultaneously it would be more believable.

bunch of crap. how will people like you be after 2012? looking for a new date for the end of the world?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Fleet

• 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

bunch of crap. how will people like you be after 2012? looking for a new date for the end of the world?

like me? I do hope its all a bunch of crap, and I'm just easily manipulated.
I'm not a doomsday fanatic (never have been), but ignoring the possibility does not seem to be a smart thing to do.
I'm not convinced till I see the crazy nature disasters happening.

I still believe "90%" the world, as we know it, will come to an end in the end of 2012. but I don't believe we will all die in the process, yet ;]
(never seen the movie 2012 btw)

I'm facing the date head on (I'm not going to an underground silo or whatever) and If nothing happens, I'm extremely relieved (so it does impact me if I want it or not)

-

what do you think of this?
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related (after 41minutes they start to talk about 2012)

Edited by Fleet, 01 April 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#5 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

UPDATE:

May 29, 2009: An international panel of experts led by NOAA and sponsored by NASA has released a new prediction for the next solar cycle. Solar Cycle 24 will peak, they say, in May 2013 with a below-average number of sunspots.

"If our prediction is correct, Solar Cycle 24 will have a peak sunspot number of 90, the lowest of any cycle since 1928 when Solar Cycle 16 peaked at 78," says panel chairman Doug Biesecker of the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center.

It is tempting to describe such a cycle as "weak" or "mild," but that could give the wrong impression.

"Even a below-average cycle is capable of producing severe space weather," points out Biesecker. "The great geomagnetic storm of 1859, for instance, occurred during a solar cycle of about the same size we’re predicting for 2013."

The 1859 storm--known as the "Carrington Event" after astronomer Richard Carrington who witnessed the instigating solar flare--electrified transmission cables, set fires in telegraph offices, and produced Northern Lights so bright that people could read newspapers by their red and green glow. A recent report by the National Academy of Sciences found that if a similar storm occurred today, it could cause $1 to 2 trillion in damages to society's high-tech infrastructure and require four to ten years for complete recovery. For comparison, Hurricane Katrina caused "only" $80 to 125 billion in damage.

http://science.nasa....aprediction.htm

#6 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

In fact, if that solar storm of 1859 were to hit us today it would cause (according to the report) trillions of dollars in property damage and hundreds of billions of dollars in damage for each of the countries that were affected. Food riots would break out, governments could collapse...and there would be no cavalry coming to the rescue because the cavalry would also lose its power and ability to communicate. Transformers could get wiped out, meaning that whole continents would not have electrical power. We’d essentially be back to the way we were in 1859. Gone too would be the satellites controlling most of our luxuries today, including communication, television, radio, and the Internet where you are reading this very blog.

[...]

Much as with Katrina, it pays to do certain things now because we do face the inevitable. For example, even though satellites currently in outer space cannot be reinforced, the next generation of satellites should be reinforced to withstand the full brunt of the solar winds and solar flares. Also, on Earth, power stations and especially transformers should be insulated and reinforced so as to be able to withstand radiation coming from outer space. This is not rocket science; we know how to do it and the technology is already there—it's just a question of political will. Some people say "Nah...I mean, it might happen in a few decades, but not on my watch." Well, it will happen, and when it does...watch out!

http://bigthink.com/ideas/19371

Edited by jean david, 03 April 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#7 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

Wired.com: If Barack Obama said, "Lets’ prepare," and there weren’t any bureaucratic hurdles, could we still be ready in time?

Joseph: I believe so. I’d ask the President to slipstream behind stimulus package funds already appropriated for smart grids, which are supposed to improve grid efficiency and help transfer high energies at peak times. There’s a framework there. Working within that, you could carve out some money for the ground resistors program, if those tests work, and have the initial momentum for cutting through the red tape. It’d be a place to start.

Read More http://www.wired.com.../#ixzz0k2nycL6o

#8 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

"Hoookaay, guise! Iths now 2020. Spooky isthn't it?"

like me? I do hope its all a bunch of crap, and I'm just easily manipulated.
I'm not a doomsday fanatic (never have been), but ignoring the possibility does not seem to be a smart thing to do.
I'm not convinced till I see the crazy nature disasters happening.

I still believe "90%" the world, as we know it, will come to an end in the end of 2012. but I don't believe we will all die in the process, yet ;]
(never seen the movie 2012 btw)

I'm facing the date head on (I'm not going to an underground silo or whatever) and If nothing happens, I'm extremely relieved (so it does impact me if I want it or not)

-

what do you think of this?
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related (after 41minutes they start to talk about 2012)

#9 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

I wonder how trustable such apocalyptic predictions are. My best guess is that we will die of old-age-related-diseases but not in 2012 or 2020; that meanwhile we're going to participate in the anti-aging movement to help it succeed, in a way or another. One small step for the man.

#10 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for commenting. I personally don't buy the 2012 apocalypse stuff, but I do believe we must take the threat of a "super solar storm" seriously.

Don't take my word for it, take a look at the latest NASA report on the subject:

The 1859 storm--known as the "Carrington Event" after astronomer Richard Carrington who witnessed the instigating solar flare--electrified transmission cables, set fires in telegraph offices, and produced Northern Lights so bright that people could read newspapers by their red and green glow. A recent report by the National Academy of Sciences found that if a similar storm occurred today, it could cause $1 to 2 trillion in damages to society's high-tech infrastructure and require four to ten years for complete recovery. For comparison, Hurricane Katrina caused "only" $80 to 125 billion in damage.

http://science.nasa....aprediction.htm

#11 Fleet

• 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Vivos is providing you and about 4,000 other people the chance to survive the end of the world.
http://www.physorg.c...s190293536.html

hehehe

#12 Jurence

• 137 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

I'm bumping this. Its very important that more people read about this

#13 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

"Hoookaay, guise! Iths now 2020. Spooky isthn't it?"

Ben,

All jokes aside ..eventually the sun is going to belch one hell of a nasty solar storm at us. Be it 2012 or 2080 ....with as much as we rely on technology, it is a pretty real risk.

#14 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:40 PM

Warning, the images you are about to see could take your breath away.

At a press conference today in Washington DC, researchers unveiled "First Light" images from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, a space telescope designed to study the sun.

"SDO is working beautifully," reports project scientist Dean Pesnell of the Goddard Space Flight Center. "This is even better than we could have dreamed."

Launched on February 11th from Cape Canaveral, the observatory has spent the past two months moving into a geosynchronous orbit and activating its instruments. As soon as SDO's telescope doors opened, the spacecraft began beaming back scenes so beautiful and puzzlingly complex that even seasoned observers were stunned.

For instance, here is one of the first things SDO saw:

http://science.nasa....apr_firstlight/

#15 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

The STEREO (Ahead) spacecraft caught this spectacular eruptive prominence in extreme
UV light as it blasted away from the Sun (Apr. 12-13, 2010).This was certainly among the largest
prominence eruptions seen by either the STEREO or SOHO missions. The length of the prominence
appears to stretch almost halfway across the sun, about 500,000 miles. Prominences are cooler
clouds of plasma that hover above the surface, tethered by magnetic forces. They are notoriously
unstable and commonly erupt as this one did in a dramatic fashion. The video clip shows about
19 hours of activity.

#16 freethinker

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

Solar storm

If just one solar storm hit Earth it would wreck life as we know it. Our electricity supply and communications
network would be destroyed, returning civilisation to the 18th century. Stuart Clark asks is there any way we can protect ourselves?

http://www.bbcfocusm...ace/solar-storm

#17 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

I wonder how trustable such apocalyptic predictions are. My best guess is that we will die of old-age-related-diseases but not in 2012 or 2020; that meanwhile we're going to participate in the anti-aging movement to help it succeed, in a way or another. One small step for the man.

The solar storm won't bring the end of the world though. What the videos mentioned were that it would knock out our technology and that highly advanced nations would suffer the greatest. They believe that if we don't prepare, when the storm hits it could take months to years for us to have electricity again.

#18 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:39 AM

http://science.nasa....r_stormwarning/

Solar Storm Warning (excerpt)

March 10, 2006: It's official: Solar minimum has arrived. Sunspots have all but vanished. Solar flares are nonexistent. The sun is utterly quiet.

Like the quiet before a storm.

This week researchers announced that a storm is coming--the most intense solar maximum in fifty years. The prediction comes from a team led by Mausumi Dikpati of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). "The next sunspot cycle will be 30% to 50% stronger than the previous one," she says. If correct, the years ahead could produce a burst of solar activity second only to the historic Solar Max of 1958.

FOX News: Scientists confirm Major Solar Storms in 2012

Solar Storm Warning Power Failure News Report

June 29, 2010
Solar Storms may cause power failures any day now. NASA has now warned the public, "To Get Ready For a Once In a Life Time Super Solar Storm Event". Dr Richard Fisher, head of NASA's Heliophysics Division said: "We know it's coming but we don't know how bad it's going to be." But what NASA is not telling the general public, is what you should be doing to get ready. Unless you live under a rock, you are beginning to notice that major news agencies as well as talk radio have started to cover the story, detailing exactly what NASA's warning is actually telling the public. If NASA is indeed right and we do get a direct hit from a super solar storm, "The Economic Damage In The United States Alone Will Be Twenty Times Greater Than Hurricane Katrina That Hit New Orleans" say experts.

Edited by bobdrake12, 26 July 2010 - 02:59 AM.

#19 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

I think if the world was gonna end it would have done so back in 2000.

How to destroy the Earth.

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

I think if the world was gonna end it would have done so back in 2000.

How to destroy the Earth.

Yes, this does have a Y2K-ish smell to it. It's at least feasible, though. I think the likely outcome would be more along the lines of some significant localized disruptions, which, if they occur, would lead to a hugely ramped-up level of implementation of countermeasures, which do exist.

But what if we lost the internet, cable television, and cell phones for a year? We could all feel like Marty McFly.

#21 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

I know solar storms produce waves strong enough to take out satellites every year or so. The governments and the companies that own those satellites keep their eye on solar activity so they can put their equipment in shutdown mode to ride out the storm. Our government has been worried about EM pulses knocking out satellites and military equipment for quite some time. I don't doubt you at all. There are probably countermeasures on top of countermeasures written down in some office desk somewheres.

Edited by Reno, 26 July 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#22 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

Humanity has survived 1859, they have survived this "fifty years ago" when the alledged last similar storm hit and it will survive 2012 or 2013 or whatever. I do not even believe many people will die if this really happens. I am worried about a setback in technological development as it would further impair my chances to participate in true anti-aging and I am still not at all resigned to dying (before 10.000 years or so).

No electricity for several years? This does sound like a horror scenario. I cannot believe, though, this will happen as governments would prepare if the situations were so dire. They, in their own self interest, do not want people destabilized.

And why should world war 3 with mutated viruses suddenly come about? If a true World War 3 happens with using all the weapons we have, we would within a very short time not have to worry about anything at all because humanity would be wiped out. Everyone knows that. It is our best protection, strangely enough.

Remember how serious the threats of a super epidemic seemed with the swine flu? The thing is that news dont sell without tits or terror (pardon my expression). It is extremely difficult these days to determine what is actually a danger and what is not. There may be problems with a new big solar storm, especially to IT and electricity, but I dont think it will be the "end of life as we know it".

I grant you that, once this is really close, I will not step into a plane.

Edited by chrwe, 28 July 2010 - 04:42 AM.

#23 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:43 AM

Humanity has survived 1859, they have survived this "fifty years ago" when the alledged last similar storm hit and it will survive 2012 or 2013 or whatever. I do not even believe many people will die if this really happens. I am worried about a setback in technological development as it would further impair my chances to participate in true anti-aging and I am still not at all resigned to dying (before 10.000 years or so).

No electricity for several years? This does sound like a horror scenario. I cannot believe, though, this will happen as governments would prepare if the situations were so dire. They, in their own self interest, do not want people destabilized.

And why should world war 3 with mutated viruses suddenly come about? If a true World War 3 happens with using all the weapons we have, we would within a very short time not have to worry about anything at all because humanity would be wiped out. Everyone knows that. It is our best protection, strangely enough.

I grant you that, once this is really close, I will not step into a plane.

Is the government even doing anything about it? Considering the number of skeptical people here even comparing it to the Y2K warnings of the last century, who's to say the government doesn't feel the same way?

#24 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:35 AM

Is the government even doing anything about it? Considering the number of skeptical people here even comparing it to the Y2K warnings of the last century, who's to say the government doesn't feel the same way?

I am unaware of anything the U.S. federal government is doing about this upcoming threat, Dmitri.

Realistically, this threat is not an end of world scenario, but only potential loss of power, water and communications from a global to a major geographical scale.

As an aside, NASA has revised their prediction for solar maximum to now occur around mid-May of 2013. Thus, the 2012 hype is now minimized.

Check out the articles below:

http://www.nydailyne...wer_commun.html

Dire warning: U.S. unprepared for massive solar flare storm; could lose power, communications (excerpt)
BY Sherry Mazzocchi
DAILY NEWS WRITER

Originally Published:Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 2:20 PM
Updated: Friday, June 25th 2010, 9:33 PM

It may sound like the premise for the next Michael Bay, big-budget action extravaganza -- but scientists say a storm from space could change life on Earth as we know it.

And the United States is woefully unprepared for such a disaster, according to a new report.

The potential threat, detailed in a National Academy of Sciences, Severe Space Weather Events report, said radiation bombarding the planet from powerful solar flares could result in the loss of power, water and communications on a global scale.

"It's very likely in the next 10 years that we will have some impact like that described in the National Academy report," Dr. Richard Fisher, director of NASA's heliophysics division, told the Daily News. "Although I don't know to what degree."

Fisher explained that the sun works on an 11-year cycle, and is now emerging from its quiet period.

The next phase -- the solar maximum -- lasts from 2012 to 2015. During this period of time, massive solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) can occur which could be strong enough to knock out satellites, disable high-voltage transformers, and cripple communications worldwide.

Doug Biesecker, top solar physicist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), told the News severe solar storms have occurred in the past. The strongest was in 1859, and rendered telegraph machines useless. Another slightly smaller geomagnetic storm occurred in 1921.

"If the 1921 storm happened today, it would knock out power from Maine to Georgia," Biesecker said. It would affect "130 million people and 350 transformers."

Transformers, he noted, can take over a year to fix and are not made in the U.S.

"This raises all kinds of geopolitical issues," said John Kappenman, a principal of Storm Analysis Consultants and the lead technical expert for a study conducted by the Metatech Corp. on the potential impact of solar storms.

http://www.2012-doom...lar-storm-2012/

Nasa says super solar storm coming in 2012. It could knock out all electricity on the planet! ***NEW UPDATE*** NASA has revised their prediction for solar maximum to now occur around mid-May of 2013

Edited by bobdrake12, 31 July 2010 - 02:49 AM.

#25 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

so start stocking candles and firewood, provided that unlike me you even have a fireplace

we`ll get there when we get there

#26 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

Do you people think we will actually have any power loss on that time?

#27 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hard to say given the current data. I`d say maybe, but not for long.

#28 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts. The singularity arrives, friendly A.I. hands us the answers to all our questions, and a solar flare pulse fries everything.

#29 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:22 AM

Do you people think we will actually have any power loss on that time?

It happened before and we are overdue for a repeat. Last time we were not so dependent on electricity so it had little impact. Simply repeating what happened before would be devastating.

Lets look at the basics;
Water - opening and closing sluice gates? pumping water to the network?
Food - mass farming without mechanical assistance? How to transport to users? How to process without machines?
Communications - How to contact someone 10 miles away, let alone across the country?
Transport - how many cars/trucks etc don't have management computer? How to control a massive train network without computers - ignoring that there is no power to run them.
Heating/cooling - how many would die from exposure to heat/cold without electronic heating/cooling systems.
fuel - How to get oil, gas, coal etc out of the ground and transport it without power and without working electronic equipment?

Depending on the extent of the damage to electronics, we could face anything from a few years, a few decades or permanent setback. The costs would be in the tens to hundreds of trillions of dollars.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen or is just relatively mild. A few extra tins of beans at the bottom of the cupboard may be in order. :unsure:

#30 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:35 AM

That would really suck if we get set back for even years... I wonder if it can be prevented? I also wonder if our "great leaders" will care to prepare for it :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users