Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

http://www.lef.org/p...-prtcl-089.html

"A precursor for biosynthesis of neurotransmitters
A precursor for adrenaline and thyroid hormones
Used to treat depression, anxiety, and allergies
Combined with tryptophan to treat drug abuse
Suppresses appetite
Tyrosine deficiency will result in depression and mood disorders
As a dietary precursor, one of the major nutritional ingredients that affects neurotransmitter synthesis and brain functions"

I wonder what its relation to allergies is? A google search shows mention of allergic rhinitis and sinusitis

#32 ripple-effect

• 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

Has anyone tried Tyrosine w/ DMAE and L-Theanine? I remember a there was a review on iherb who suggested taking those in combination for concentration.

I'm also going to experiment higher doses of Tyrosine in the morning...see how it does for me. Only tried 250mg this morning on empty stomach then another 250mg about hour or two later...did notice I paid a little bit more attention in class and didn't feel drained out in the end. I use Now Foods brand....I'll also try to find some B vitamins to supplement it.

Edited by ripple-effect, 13 April 2010 - 10:10 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

Has anyone tried Tyrosine w/ DMAE and L-Theanine? I remember a there was a review on iherb who suggested taking those in combination for concentration.

I'm also going to experiment higher doses of Tyrosine in the morning...see how it does for me. Only tried 250mg this morning on empty stomach then another 250mg about hour or two later...did notice I paid a little bit more attention in class and didn't feel drained out in the end. I use Now Foods brand....I'll also try to find some B vitamins to supplement it.

I often take tyrosine and dmae and find them to be a good combo, i don't really combine it with theanine although have done before and I drink i fair bit of green tea too. I supposed the theanine would counteract any agitated effects from too much tyrosine. Theanine doesn't really do much for me though. I tend to take the dmae on a daily basis, and the tyrosine as and when i need a kick up the arse. I do notice a slight bit of anxiety from tyrosine, maybe not as much as coffee in large quantities, but it's definately noticable and there. I think it's the anxiety that gives me that bit of motivation to actually work though, without it I would just sit around all day if I didn't have something spuring me on.

#34 ripple-effect

• 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

I often take tyrosine and dmae and find them to be a good combo, i don't really combine it with theanine although have done before and I drink i fair bit of green tea too. I supposed the theanine would counteract any agitated effects from too much tyrosine. Theanine doesn't really do much for me though. I tend to take the dmae on a daily basis, and the tyrosine as and when i need a kick up the arse. I do notice a slight bit of anxiety from tyrosine, maybe not as much as coffee in large quantities, but it's definately noticable and there. I think it's the anxiety that gives me that bit of motivation to actually work though, without it I would just sit around all day if I didn't have something spuring me on.

Yea I also never really felt any + effects from Theanine even though the studies are good and many people have good things to say about it. At the same time I don't think my judgement is fair since I did not use it very long...lol.

#35 TigerMask

• 147 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

My only concern with taking this supplement is the fact that I'm underweight and find it impossible to put on any weight. My thyroid labs were fine, however, so my concern is mostly unfounded.

Still, the bad reaction I had to DLPA recently will likely keep my hand out of the Tyrosine bottle.

#36 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

My only concern with taking this supplement is the fact that I'm underweight and find it impossible to put on any weight. My thyroid labs were fine, however, so my concern is mostly unfounded.

Still, the bad reaction I had to DLPA recently will likely keep my hand out of the Tyrosine bottle.

Wish I had that problem ;)

I have to do cardio 40 minutes a day just to maintain. Then again, I eat like a garbage disposal.

#37 TigerMask

• 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:48 AM

Just a super fast metabolism here. I don't know, it seems almost unhealthy to me. I feel like I should weigh a little more, I just can't get there.

#38 john16

• 114 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

I just bought 500mg of tyrosine and the bottle recommends 1/day. I see that a lot of you guys are takig like 2.5g/day. Isn't that a bit much?

#39 Rain

• 165 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

I just bought 500mg of tyrosine and the bottle recommends 1/day. I see that a lot of you guys are takig like 2.5g/day. Isn't that a bit much?

i tried 2.5g with 1.6g piracetam, it felt as if i got less of an effect from 2.5 then just having half of this at around 1.2g, maybe it's just for me but i reckon 2.5 is a bit much, as i got a bit tired.

......actually now that i think about it so many nootropics make me tired that really shouldn't including caffeine, ALCAR.. something wrong with me haha?

#40 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

In the study I read they were using upwards of 6-7 grams a day.

#41 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

i tried 2.5g with 1.6g piracetam, it felt as if i got less of an effect from 2.5 then just having half of this at around 1.2g, maybe it's just for me but i reckon 2.5 is a bit much, as i got a bit tired.

......actually now that i think about it so many nootropics make me tired that really shouldn't including caffeine, ALCAR.. something wrong with me haha?

I've noticed that with ALCAR but definately not caffiene.

#42 dustinw

• Guest, F@H
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Just thought I'd share my experience with tyrosine over the past few weeks.

I bought 100g L-Tyrosine powder from trueprotein.com, taking 1-2g first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Subjectively, taking it with B vitamins seems to help the effects. The first day I took it I didn't seem to notice much, but on the 2nd and 3rd days in a row the effects were, as the OP said, amazing. The difference in my motivation, mood, and energy is night and day. I've taken a few short breaks (2-3 days), and the effect is similar every time I've come back. The first day, not so much, but the effect builds.

I'm wondering, however, if any one has any experience/knowledge as to building a tolerance or if should be worried about downregulation of dopamine receptors.

#43 mdma

• 102 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

Just a super fast metabolism here. I don't know, it seems almost unhealthy to me. I feel like I should weigh a little more, I just can't get there.

Have you try Wendy's?
  • like x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • dislike x 1

#44 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

I used to take regular L-tyrosine when I was 16 or so (decade back) because I have type 1.5 skin and at the time, the supplement companies were pushing L-Tyrosine and copper as a melanocyte stimulating mechanism (now deemed erroneous) to accelerate your tan. Well, I bought the two separate and took grams of L-tyrosine and in my teens, looking back, as depressed as I was without medication at the time, it really lifted my spirits - better than a mono-treatment of an SSRI had ever done.

I back L-tyrosine if your body likes it like mine does, but I choose NALT nowadays. Same effect, less dose.

#45 SATANICAT

• 128 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

I used to have that same problem... But, when I started taking choline these problems started to ween away. I used CDP-choline and lecithin granules.

#46 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

i feel nothing at 500 mg. Have read somewhere people even take 2 g or 3 g which would be quite alot of pills to swallow. Does anybody know if tolerance builds up quickly with l tyrosine?

#47 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

L-Tyrosine just keeps getting better.

An example: Usually, I seem to be a special version of retarded at picking up lyrics from songs. I either can't tell wtf is being said, or my brain makes something up, and then I can't hear anything else. Lately, however, I have no problem with lyrics. And my brain has started re-evaluating even songs I've listened to for years. Suddenly I'll realize, "oh, that's what she's signing!" :-D

Lots of other strange and welcome surprises with this substance.

I had a similar strange experience last week. I have a 90 db hearing loss at high frequencies and I experienced the same thing. I woke up from my TURP surgery feeling strangely empowered. My brain was working quickly and efficiently. I could remember the names of my nurses (I was shuttled through three groups of them) And the strangest of all was that one nurse in the back of the room was talking on the phone with her back to me. I could hear every word clearly. I was so surprised. I could hear well and it felt good to be confident of everyone's names. An experience similar to yours Declmen. Not my usual social condition, because I mis-hear almost as often as I hear correctly. I am like the one with the slow wit, always a step or two behind translating like english is a foreign language to me.

I knew the special feeling wouldn't last, and it didn't. The experience only lasted a few hours. I have been taking about 1/2 gram acetyl l-tyrosine, 1/4 gram rhodiola, 1/4 gram methione and 100 mg 5-HTP time releaseabout 4-5 days a week. I have been very happy with the results because I improved from 6 hours of sleep to over 8 hours. And I had noticed an improvement in cognition, but nothing as dramatic as this experience awakening from surgery..

I am thinking that something about the anesthesia combined with my nootropic supplements gave me a greater than normal improvement. I expected to have post-anesthesia amnesia, but I didn't. Because I felt so clean and rested and clear I think the anesthesia was something new.

I need advice - First, is it possible that I could reach the same state again? Second, how to get there? Double or triple my intake of nootropics? Start looking for something that is missing in my nootropics? I am interested in all advice.

#48 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

I've been trying 2-3 gram of l-tyronsine on an empty stomach first thing in the morning for the past week. I haven't noticed anything.

#49 Declmem

• Topic Starter
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

I've been trying 2-3 gram of l-tyronsine on an empty stomach first thing in the morning for the past week. I haven't noticed anything.

You using a b complex too?

#50 JonnyDoowop

• 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Just did 2g on an empty stomach along with .3g piracetam and my body started to.. feel alive within 10 minutes.

#51 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

I need advice - First, is it possible that I could reach the same state again? Second, how to get there? Double or triple my intake of nootropics? Start looking for something that is missing in my nootropics? I am interested in all advice.

Was it just an improvement in hearing or did you experience any mood or energy enhancement? It's a bit odd that it only affected that one sense.

#52 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

No I wasn't. I'm not sure I want to overload with a b-complex given all the cancer scares with higher levels of b-vitamins (B-1, folic acid, etc).

#53 kilgoretrout

• 245 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:58 AM

No I wasn't. I'm not sure I want to overload with a b-complex given all the cancer scares with higher levels of b-vitamins (B-1, folic acid, etc).

Cancer scare w/ b-vits?  WTF???  I don't believe it. Sounds like either BS studies or lousy reporting to me.

With Tyrosine you MUST include 10mg b-6 and 500mg C per gram of Tyrosine, they are the primary essential co-factors for the conversion to neurotrans.  Also, it helps to give the brain a little kick with some sort of stim, even just a little caffeine, in order to RELEASE all that NE/etc. you've just generated.  THEN I am pretty sure you will feel something

#54 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Cancer scare w/ b-vits?  WTF???  I don't believe it. Sounds like either BS studies or lousy reporting to me.

Benfotiamine: Cancer Risk? QUIT. It's a pretty compelling argument, unfortunately. I'm not familiar with an association with other Bs, but I haven't looked, either.

I definitely get an effect from L-TYR without B-6 or C; the NALT I take has B-6 in it. But thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it out. Do you have a source for those required dosages?

Edited by chrono, 20 July 2010 - 06:59 AM.

#55 kilgoretrout

• 245 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

Not sure...but I've been using for so many years... the standard ratio that seems to work spectacularly well every day for decades that I figured out way back the first time I read Pearson/Shaw's classic Life Extension (aha! probably the source!) was 2g Tyrosine, 25mg b6, 1g C. And some caffeine, or on occasion caffeine + synephrine (more system friendly than ephedrine, very little cardio impact, see Mini-Thin EF 25/50 in a pouch of 6 for $1.25 at Speeeday, etc... 25mg synephrine, 200mg caffeine, b-6, ginseng, rhodiola.... GREAT stuff... very smooth and long lasting... just the right amounts, at least for me)

#56 Sovr'gnChancellor£

• 56 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

I can't believe I didn't know about this one before that supplement snake oil graphic rated it above the "worth it" line.

Actually, I had tried it before, but in looking at the studies, it recommended far larger doses than I was taking, which is why I forgot about until I saw the graphic. 1 - 1.5 grams spread throughout the day isn't enough to really notice a difference.

This has seriously improved my intelligence and memory scores. I'm actually started to get good at jeopardy Posted Image

Anyone else have experiences?

Yes, this amino acid has been terrific! So much so that I made a really, really long thread about it! I just take 3.5 grams in the morning on an empty stomach and that's me done for the day - I don't need to top up later on in the day or anything!

i had great results from l-tyrosine, but i seem to build a tolerance to it :(
any thoughts on this? is it a good idea to cycle it? or is there a way to reverse/prevent the tolerance? also, is it healthy for long-term use?

I just have breaks anyway - I can never know from these things. But in my breaks, the improvements and beneficial effects still show - possibly due to increased dopamine?

I can't believe I didn't know about this one before that supplement snake oil graphic rated it above the "worth it" line.

Actually, I had tried it before, but in looking at the studies, it recommended far larger doses than I was taking, which is why I forgot about until I saw the graphic. 1 - 1.5 grams spread throughout the day isn't enough to really notice a difference.

This has seriously improved my intelligence and memory scores. I'm actually started to get good at jeopardy Posted Image

Anyone else have experiences?

One of my favorite daily supplements I take...

Check out the N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine version... more full absorbed, so you do not need to take as much. Also, make sure to take on a empty stomach and with some B6 .. all tho most N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine comes with B6 packed in...

http://www.lifelinkn...-L-Tyrosine.asp

Why b6? That's interesting that you mention it, because I've noticed its more effective if I take it with a b complex.

Yep, I too noticed that it work even better with a B Complex, hence why I take them both on the same morning!

I've been taking it for about a week and a half. This weekend I had a break. Too early to tell if I'm developing a tolerance yet Posted Image

I'm curious, did these noticeable improvements to memory/intelligence persist at all while you were taking a break, or is it more a "while you're on it" kind of effect?

Keep us posted about when and to what extent tolerance develops, it's not entirely clear from reading anecdotal reports here.

I find that my improvements and beneficial effects still continue. I am still productive and motivated and it doesn't decrease much.

#57 brainslugged

• 305 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

L-Tyrosine has little to no effect on me. It only causes several physical symptoms, and no increased concentration or mental ability. Mostly, it causes pressure in the throat and lower back.

#58 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

Gives me a headache add if I'm sleep deprived. I can't tolerate it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

#59 thenaturalstep

• 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Not sure...but I've been using for so many years... the standard ratio that seems to work spectacularly well every day for decades that I figured out way back the first time I read Pearson/Shaw's classic Life Extension (aha! probably the source!) was 2g Tyrosine, 25mg b6, 1g C. And some caffeine, or on occasion caffeine + synephrine (more system friendly than ephedrine, very little cardio impact, see Mini-Thin EF 25/50 in a pouch of 6 for $1.25 at Speeeday, etc... 25mg synephrine, 200mg caffeine, b-6, ginseng, rhodiola.... GREAT stuff... very smooth and long lasting... just the right amounts, at least for me)

With "C" you mean vitamine C? better to ask one time too much then the other way around.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

My only concern in the increase of melalin in the skin and it's affect on moles.

And you got this info, where?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users