• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Nanofactory and life-extension.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:26 PM

http://crnano.typepa...row_and_to.html

Should CRN look at the consequences of life-extension in relation to fully developed molecular nanotechnology?
Should life-extension be a factor when deciding how nanofactories might be developed in a safe and manageable way?

Though the safe development of nanofactories should be achieved in the short term, the availability of unrestricted nanofactories will be essential to the development of diversity in a transhuman world. I think it would be wrong to place restrictions on development and production of aging intervention methods on any nanofactory, short or long term.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:17 PM

In my view, the only limitations should be on the use of the products after they are created in nanofactories. Just like many products created nowadays, they can be used for good or harm. As long as there is not premeditated deadly harm being caused by the products of personal nanofactories, then I would say restrictions should be loose. Some will argue that a nanofactory in the hands of any individual is too dangerous to even allow them in the first place...but that would stop progress.

#3 lightowl

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:24 PM

Yes, I agree. Legislation on specific products is probably the way to go. I envision an anarchistic future where technology can not be universally restricted, and I think that within certain communities and their environment it would be better to limit "criminal" behavior by incentive than by restricting access to technology. Societies that build on the creativity of its citizens should learn to "raise" those individuals with an inherent respect for their environment and fellow citizens. Those who do not have the "fortune" of having been "created" in an isolated environment will no doubt indulge in chaotic behavior.

I am one of those who would rather live a life in uncertainty than give way to others rules. At least that is how my mind works now ;). I cant say how the future will change that, but I hope some day I will have a choice.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 06:14 AM

nanotechnology
just imagine http://www.emachineshop.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users