• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Ron Reagan Atheist Politician

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rahein

• 226 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:30 PM

Ron Reagan Jr. is the first politician I have heard admit that he is an atheist. I have not heard anyone criticizing him for his admittal either. Maybe this will encourage more politicians to come out of the atheist closet.

Most Americans would not vote for a politician because of the mere fact that they don’t believe in God, no matter their other qualifications.

Here I will ask the opposite question, would you vote for someone just because they are an atheist?

#2 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 05:30 AM

Apparently many of the Neoconservatives take their lead from a long-dead philosopher named Leo Strauss, regarding whom a recent article in Free Inquiry magazine states,

There is a certain irony in the fact that the chief guru of the neoconservatives is a thinker who regarded religion merely as a political tool intended for the masses but not for the superior few.

Strauss's pervasive influence in the American Right probably explains why Neocons can with straight faces associate themselves with christians who believe in the increasingly absurd delusions about a supernatural rapture and apocalypse promoted by the Left Behind novels, as long as these christians vote Republican and enable the Neocons to pursue their harsh policies. (By contrast, UFO cultists who believe in mass alien abductions and the like are ridiculed.)

So, yes, it's refreshing for a rising public figure like Ron Reagan, Jr., to come out and say not only that he doesn't love Jesus, but that he wants embryonic stem cell research as well. I can imagine that the Neocons wish they could pull Ron aside and admonish him for trying to break the superstitious spell they have perpetuated over the American people.

• Lurker

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:19 AM

I wouldn't support a person simply because they were an atheist or agnostic, but generally their views outside of religion (or lack thereof) would be more in line with mine. Whereas those that are strong believers in certain organized religions usually hold views that aren't as compatible with my views.

I support Ron Reagan Jr., hopefully he will lead to a new breed of politicians. Those that lead by reason and not by religious faith and morals which they impose on a population regardless of their beliefs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users