Photo
- - - - -

Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor, cognitive enhancement in

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 haha

• 91 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

This article is an awesume refference on this amazing peptide, you dont need to have PD to justfiy going over this...

Driving GDNF expression: The green and the red traffic lights

Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is widely recognized as a potent survival factor for dopaminergic neurons of the nigrostriatal pathway that degenerate in Parkinson's disease (PD). In animal models of PD, GDNF delivery to the striatum or the substantia nigra protects dopaminergic neurons against subsequent toxin-induced injury and rescues previously damaged neurons, promoting recovery of the motor function. Thus, GDNF was proposed as a potential therapy to PD aimed at slowing down, halting or reversing neurodegeneration, an issue addressed in previous reviews. However, the use of GDNF as a therapeutic agent for PD is hampered by the difficulty in delivering it to the brain. Another potential strategy is to stimulate the endogenous expression of GDNF, but in order to do that we need to understand how GDNF expression is regulated. The aim of this review is to do a comprehensive analysis of the state of the art on the control of endogenous GDNF expression in the nervous system, focusing mainly on the nigrostriatal pathway. We address the control of GDNF expression during development, in the adult brain and after injury, and how damaged neurons signal glial cells to up-regulate GDNF. Pharmacological agents or natural molecules that increase GDNF expression and show neuroprotective activity in animal models of PD are reviewed. We also provide an integrated overview of the signalling pathways linking receptors for these molecules to the induction of GDNF gene, which might also become targets for neuroprotective therapies in PD.

Edited by chrono, 26 September 2010 - 04:18 PM.
full text removed

#2 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:30 AM

f you have access to the article and are going to copy and paste (copyright violation, BTW) why not just download the PDF and post it as an attachment?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 haha

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:34 AM

f you have access to the article and are going to copy and paste (copyright violation, BTW) why not just download the PDF and post it as an attachment?

Im just quoting from it :), this is worth sharing. can you delet the C V words for the communities interest, its not in pdf and i couldnt be quoting from it if i did that

#4 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

11 full posts of text is not an excerpt. Come on, just take a minute to explain the topic, and maybe post a few lines or paragraphs. And link to the full article. This is ridiculous.

It's a copyright violation because you posted the whole thing. Another reason to just post the most relevant passages, in addition to being conversational.

Edited by chrono, 23 April 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#5 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

Can the OP tell us if these NF stimulants the article talks about are neuro-protective or are neuro-regenerative only in the case of massive brain damage (i.e. Parkinson's).

If so I might be interested in reading the thing.

#6 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

Can the OP tell us if these NF stimulants the article talks about are neuro-protective or are neuro-regenerative only in the case of massive brain damage (i.e. Parkinson's).

GDNF seems to be closely linked with the dopamine system (hence PD treatment), and sounds like it would definitely be neuroprotective to certain systems. It's stimulated by several dopamine agonists. Here are a few abstracts which mention more of the neural systems it's involved in: 10383122, 12953054.

Not sure if it's as promising a target as NGF unless you're at the age when dopamine neuron degeneration is becoming more of an immediate concern. Definitely worth keeping in mind, though.

Edited by chrono, 23 April 2010 - 07:00 PM.

#7 haha

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:25 AM

This peptide is really the holly grail of peptides, It is believed that it can mediate process allowing withdrawl free herion,alcoholetc cesation for instance( gdnf and ibogaine models)
This peptide regulates the antioxidant system, increasing the activity of SOD considerably and many other factors, surtin nah gdnf. GDNF is found in many organs and all nerves. It main function is regualting plasticity in central areas of the brain partly through more phasic dopamine 1 activity, this will translate into fast processing speeds with a greater perceptual horizon, causing things like improved memory, protect the brain against cell damage, alleviate depression, extend the life span of laboratory animals, and heighten sexual desire in both men and women.

Exert from Dr knoll interview on this site, GDNF mesencephalic enhancer
Q: What do you think are currently the best ways to slow down, or reverse, the aging process and extend the human life span?
Dr. Knoll: Regarding the quality and duration of life, the most important aging process is the continuous, slow, age-related decline of the mesencephalic enhancer regulation during the postdevelopment phase of life. This can not be reversed, but its progress can be slowed by the prophylactic administration of a synthetic mesencephalic enhancer substance (for the time being with the daily administration of one milligram of deprenyl). The earlier this protective treatment starts, the better are the prospects to improve the quality of life in the latter decades, which necessarily goes together with an extension of life span.

#8 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:40 AM

this will translate into fast processing speeds with a greater perceptual horizon, causing things like improved memory, protect the brain against cell damage, alleviate depression, extend the life span of laboratory animals, and heighten sexual desire in both men and women.

Other growth factors seem to be equally implicated in the systems mentioned. Take these theories with several grains of salt.

#9 haha

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:08 AM

They were are simple sketch of benefits on offer through this peptide, Everything should be taken with a grain of salt but you deliberatly targeting my posts and criticsing me, If you knew much about neuropharama you would appreciate that the act of learning in healthy adults has more to do with removing synaptic connections than adding them(not the gdnf does this persay and im not going to back this up), so therefore NGFetc may not be the best yard stick, although it does confer other benefits.

Stuff off with your copyright v, people deserve access to knowledge and youve created a flag. I really dont believe your interests lie with the individuals on this board

Edited by haha, 24 April 2010 - 03:11 AM.

#10 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:29 AM

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt but you deliberatly targeting my posts and criticsing me, If you knew much about neuropharama you would appreciate that the act of learning in healthy adults has more to do with removing synaptic connections than adding them(not the gdnf does this persay and im not going to back this up), so therefore NGFetc may not be the best yard stick, although it does confer other benefits.

Stuff off with your copyright v, people deserve access to knowledge and youve created a flag. I really dont believe your interests lie with the individuals on this board

It's funny that you think such rudeness is a reasonable response to someone pointing out that certain parts of what you said aren't supported by the paper you posted. And it's funny you think you have such a right to decide what's good for the board your first day here. I don't know why you feel like I'm targeting you; I was the only one who actually tried to engage in conversation with you this morning when everyone was calling you a troll.

This is a science board. People are going to point out if your claims aren't backed up, and as you just said, you're pretty unwilling to do that a lot of the time. And even if you are right, you might show a little grace by explaining yourself factually instead of pointing out how ignorant everyone else is. You're creating a lot of bad blood with the way you respond to disagreement.

#11 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

They were are simple sketch of benefits on offer through this peptide, Everything should be taken with a grain of salt but you deliberatly targeting my posts and criticsing me, If you knew much about neuropharama you would appreciate that the act of learning in healthy adults has more to do with removing synaptic connections than adding them(not the gdnf does this persay and im not going to back this up), so therefore NGFetc may not be the best yard stick, although it does confer other benefits.

I wasn't absolutely condemning your copyright violation, I was just pointing it out. You're the one who created the flag by posting the WHOLE ARTICLE on this board. Someone searching for that paper (including the authors and publisher) will find it here, in its entirety. If you have access to the paper in digital form, you should know that it's very easy to download it in PDF format.

I don't think you're a troll, but replying to you is just too vexing. Some of the claims you're making may be valid. But the way you're presenting the ideas is not conducive to facile comprehension, let alone intelligent discussion. Indeed, "neuroplasticity" has as much to do with breaking connections as with creating and strengthening them. That is something we've been neglecting on this board. Those with superior or photographic memories, OCD (intruding thoughts), obsessive personality, depression (rumination), or similar kinds of cognitive quirks may exhibit a deficit in the ability to break synaptic connections.

You cite "articles" and theories of questionable authority and preach them as gospel. There may be plenty of good ideas out there that aren't "mainstream," but the burden of proof is on you to show why they have merit.

If you're more organized and thoughtful, more people will respond to you. That advice goes beyond this board.

As an aside: isn't one of the goals of taking nootropics to be more organized and thoughtful?

#12 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, labrat.

Indeed, "neuroplasticity" has as much to do with breaking connections as with creating and strengthening them. That is something we've been neglecting on this board. Those with superior or photographic memories, OCD (intruding thoughts), obsessive personality, depression (rumination), or similar kinds of cognitive quirks may exhibit a deficit in the ability to break synaptic connections.

This sounds like an idea worth exploring in re: our conversations about neurogenesis (starting a new topic is probably a good idea). Although encouraging this mechanism sounds like it could be potentially more dangerous than augmenting neuron formation/growth.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

Thanks, labrat.

Indeed, "neuroplasticity" has as much to do with breaking connections as with creating and strengthening them. That is something we've been neglecting on this board. Those with superior or photographic memories, OCD (intruding thoughts), obsessive personality, depression (rumination), or similar kinds of cognitive quirks may exhibit a deficit in the ability to break synaptic connections.

This sounds like an idea worth exploring in re: our conversations about neurogenesis (starting a new topic is probably a good idea). Although encouraging this mechanism sounds like it could be potentially more dangerous than augmenting neuron formation/growth.

Agreed. There are boards for PDD/Autism spectrum "disorders." Encouraging synaptic disconnection is probably more dangerous than encouraging synaptic connections. Neurogenesis is a more relevant topic to retaining plasticity (of all kinds) and enhancing cognitive function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users