• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

amazing space simulation video from a game

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

my boyfriend showed it to me, I thought "wow".. it looks so realistic in the terms of reality (graphics can use improvements).. just wow!!!
  • like x 1

#2 Daniel Memenode

• 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

Infinity Universe is gonna be revolutionary. I look at this and all of a sudden EVE Online begins to seem kinda small and old. There's just no competing with an entire galaxy of billions of stars each with orbiting planets that you can land on, each unique, created by a kind of random process that reminds of real universe's evolution after the big bang... It's pretty awe inspiring and intrigues the mind..

There's so much more to be said about this though. It's also a good example of how to create something massive without necessarily needing to hire an army of artists. Let the computer do most of the work!

Can't wait for it to be finished.

#3 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

Which part exactly looks realistic if the graphics "can use improvements"? I thought graphics and realism pretty much go hand in hand. I didn't think it looked particularly realistic compared to some other games where I was just looking at them, going "wow". I was impressed by some of the newer GTAs, for example.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Daniel Memenode

• 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

Graphics do have a lot to do with the overall realistic feel, but it's not the only thing that contributes to it. Graphics might not be the best in this, but those planet entrances are more realistic than anything I've ever seen. In most games to land on a planet you get some kind of a loading screen beforehand which puts you into a different game mode, if you can even do it at all.

Also, those worlds being generated procedurally makes for a lot of different worlds ripe for exploring, and since they weren't manually designed by humans there's a sense of mystery to them just as there would be if you explored a real unknown planet, which also adds to the feeling of realism, at least to me.

Edited by Daniel Memenode, 30 June 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#5 Vindex

• 80 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

The game looks incredible. Imagine if it were combined with the upcoming The Old Republic :wub: (silly idea of course)
I could play that thing for 24h straight, what an amazing concept. It's in pre-alpha so don't even talk about graphics, those are usually worked on in later phases of development.
Good thing I saw this thread because I had already forgotten about this game :)

#6 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

Lets hope it is not too realistic, I don't look forward to waiting 10 years to get to the first planet, or dying because my ship got randomly perforated with space debris.

#7 Vindex

• 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Lets hope it is not too realistic, I don't look forward to waiting 10 years to get to the first planet, or dying because my ship got randomly perforated with space debris.

Or about 25 thousand years to reach the center of the galaxy :laugh:
It'll feature hyperspace jump, which can still take a couple hours from one extreme of the galaxy to another, but almost instantaneous for local groups of stars. If your ship gets wrecked for whatever reason, you get saved by your trusty escape pod until someone picks it up.
What surprises me is that the game is being produced by a small independent team. So far they're doing a great job and the concept art is amazing.

#8 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

Or about 25 thousand years to reach the center of the galaxy :laugh:
It'll feature hyperspace jump, which can still take a couple hours from one extreme of the galaxy to another, but almost instantaneous for local groups of stars. If your ship gets wrecked for whatever reason, you get saved by your trusty escape pod until someone picks it up.
What surprises me is that the game is being produced by a small independent team. So far they're doing a great job and the concept art is amazing.

That sounds much more like it, one of the reasons I got turned off Eve was that the learning would take time, so if you had to pick up a skill, you would have to wait a day before you used it.

I would imagine if the ship gets perforated with space debris your escape pod goes down with it. Incidentally is there any way to protect a space ship from this?

#9 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

How about a gravity simulator?
http://www.nowykurie...ty/gravity.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users