Photo
- - - - -

Nootropics for Quick Reactions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 isolatex

• 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:02 AM

I am trying to figure out what to take for quick reactions/hand-eye coordination/mental alertness. I have a list of some things I want to get. I'm new to this stuff so any help/input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Bacopa
L-Tyrosine
L-Carnitine
DMAE
B-Complex
Choline
Guarana
Siberian Ginseng
Vinpocetine
Huperzine

Also what is the difference between Vincamine and Vinpocetine, and which is better? Thanks.

#2 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:05 AM

I am trying to figure out what to take for quick reactions/hand-eye coordination/mental alertness. I have a list of some things I want to get. I'm new to this stuff so any help/input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Bacopa
L-Tyrosine
L-Carnitine
DMAE
B-Complex
Choline
Guarana
Siberian Ginseng
Vinpocetine
Huperzine

Also what is the difference between Vincamine and Vinpocetine, and which is better? Thanks.

I just answered this question for somebody else here. Click here for your answer

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:37 AM

I know noos will disagree with me on this but I don't consider DMAE a particular useful supplement aside possibly for ADD. So if you're going to use it probably limit your intake to 600mg a day or less, I think 200-300mg daily is optimal.

#4 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:55 AM

Hi isolatex, this one is difficult

Good old piracetam is reported to increase information flow between both hemispheres. I think there is only one study on this.

Also many people find that the experience of music is enchanced under piracetam, so maybe there is a basis to think it acts on perception.

Sulbutiamine acts on the cerebellum (the equilibrium organ among other things) and improves coordination. The literature is better than the user reports for this drug, but I consider it interesting although I did not felt much from it.
Chez l'animal amélioration de la résistance à la fatigue musculaire et à la coordination motrice
http://www2.biam2.org/www/Spe2753.html
Sulbutiamine increases physical resistance to fatigue, neuromuscular efficiency and learning and memory; and improves the metabolic functions of the cerebral cortex.
http://www.medmart.w...arcalion200.htm

Precision movements are dependant on dopamine (lack of dopamine=tremors like you see in parkinson´s)
So you may consider some dopamine enhancing drugs like deprenyl, bromocriptine, etc. But if you are young I do not think it will make a noticeable difference YMMV.

Too much cholinergics and you get muscle tension.

#5 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:57 AM

cosmos, I consider DMAE good for some and bad for other
But not mostly for the reasons discussed here
It is a product one has to try and see effects as with many other
My cautin here would be that too much gives tension, but for some people it is great for alertness (age into account)

#6 isolatex

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:42 AM

I want to use common supps, like the ones I listed, that I wouldn't have to order online. Any comments on what I should add, or what is a waste of money?

Some other supps I've found that look interesting are ashwagandha, gotu kola, TMG, and GABA. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#7 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:59 PM

I want to use common supps, like the ones I listed, that I wouldn't have to order online.

I am sorry, but if you do not order online you end up paying 5-10X as much for the same products. Why can you not order online?

#8 isolatex

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:29 PM

I can, but I already bought most of the supps I listed and have use for them in a couple of weeks. I will probably order online after I'm finished with these, so recommendations of both common supps and supps I can only find online would be greatly appreciated.

#9 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:23 PM

RE:Vincamine and Vinpocetine

vincamine is extracted from the periwinkle (vinca minor) , a very common plant

vinpocetine is an isolated molecule transformed from the original

vinpocetine is safer, vincamine has some reported bad cardiac effects (but I think this must depend on the dose and lenght of treatment

Soame people say vincamine has a stronger effect

I have tried both and they may be right, like vincamine has a greater vasodilation effect, I don´t know for sure, but they feel different.

vinpo is very nice and very well tolerated. take with food or under the tongue.

Are you in sports?. It is difficult to understand your question.

Now I remember there are studies about coffee and typing speed. But it seems few like coffee here. it is a doble sword, but can be used.

#10 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:40 PM

"quick reactions/hand-eye coordination/mental alertness"

Not sure if this goes without saying, but:

1. getting enough sleep is crucial for alertness.

2. the content of your diet can effect your alertness i.e. meals with protein and minimizing any high glycemic carbs will leave you more alert then e.g. a large plate of pasta.

#11 isolatex

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:50 PM

Well this may sound silly, but it's for computer gaming. I also want to use whatever stack I decide upon during this upcoming fall semester, hopefully giving me a boost at the Univ.

#12 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:59 PM

Well this may sound silly, but it's for computer gaming. I also want to use whatever stack I decide upon during this upcoming fall semester, hopefully giving me a boost at the Univ.

Yes, that is silly, completely. Well, actually, what kind of games do you play? Pinball? Solitare?

[lol]

#13 isolatex

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:04 PM

First Person Shooters like Quake 3, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Pain Killer, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halo, Doom 3, etc.

#14 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:14 PM

First Person Shooters like Quake 3, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Pain Killer, Unreal Tournament 2004, Halo, Doom 3, etc.

Well now, that calls for a hefty nootropic stack indeed!

#15 isolatex

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:17 PM

LOL, it's not for just that, I want to use it mainly for this fall semester.

#16 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:23 PM

LOL, it's not for just that, I want to use it mainly for this fall semester.

Okay then. What is your budget? For a six month supply how much cash can you lay down? Because honestly, you need to stick to a stack for at least 3 months to see "real" results.

#17 isolatex

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:24 PM

I also do some brazilian jiu-jitsu, which nootropics would also help, but I began looking into nootropics after reading about BrainQuicken. Wanted to know if you could drastically increase your reaction times, which FPS' require them to be very quick. Also it's not just me sitting at home playing video games, there are tournaments with money prizes.

#18 isolatex

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:25 PM

Money is not a problem at all, so there is no budget.

#19 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:30 PM

Money is not a problem at all, so there is no budget.

Check out this post.

Get all of those first.

Then order adrafinil; 600 mg daily on an empty stomach. Or see if you can get a prescription for modafinil 200 mg.
Hydergine FAS 4.5 mg daily.
Nicergoline 5 mg daily

You can order these from Biogenesis Laboratories .

If you add those to your stack, along with a good full spectrum multivitamin, and an additional B vitamin, along with 2 grams epa/dha per day, that should work quite well for you.

Edited by nootropi, 20 January 2005 - 04:11 PM.

#20 isolatex

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:44 PM

Thanks a bunch. Will probably be ordering the last week of August. I also have another question, for the supps I have right now (list in my first post) should I take it morning/night, morning/noon, or morning/afternoon? Also with food or on an empty stomach?

#21 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:16 AM

tyro empty
vinpo food
else, not so important

#22 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:27 AM

Thanks a bunch. Will probably be ordering the last week of August. I also have another question, for the supps I have right now (list in my first post) should I take it morning/night, morning/noon, or morning/afternoon? Also with food or on an empty stomach?

Nicergoline on empty stomach upon waking
Hydergine FAS with breakfast
Bromocriptine 1.25 with breakfast as well

Taking vinpocetine with food appears to dramatically improve its absorption.

Take ALCAR 800 mg, RALA 300 mg, Nicergoline 5 mg, adrafinil/modafinil (600 mg/200 mg respectively), all on an empty stomach upon waking. Wait AT LEAST 20 minutes before eating, preferably 30.

Otherwise as a rule, take choline away from ALCAR. Try to keep the ALCAR/RALA combo on an empty stomach. Keep RALA refrigerated.

#23 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:59 AM

Nootropi,

Why the ALCAR and why the R-ALA on an empty stomach?

Thanks.

Scott

#24 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 02:12 AM

According to AOR Support

R-lipoic acid has a very short half-life in plasma, although there is some evidence that it hangs around in cells for longer; to be safe, it makes sense to take this at least 3 times daily. Taking it on an empty stomach is best for overall absorption, although taking it with food gives a mild sustained-release effect.

ALCAR has a longer half-life, but should still best be taken at least twice daily. It should be taken away from food and from other quaternary amines (including DMAE, choline, and TMG) as they share a transporter system in the brain and GI and will compete for absorption if taken together.

Read this post

#25 jolly

• 154 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:08 PM

Check out Thinkfast to help train reaction time/perception times

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#26 systemicanomaly

• 86 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:15 AM

Check out Thinkfast to help train reaction time/perception times

ThinkFast is no longer commercially available. Cognitve Labs, who now owns the right to the software, has licensed it to MyBrainTrainer for their online brain gymnasium.

~gr

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users